Donna Summer, Queen Of Disco, Dies At 63

webfact

Donna Summer, queen of disco, dies at 63

The BBC's David Sillito looks back at Donna Summer's contribution to music

US singer Donna Summer, famous for disco classics including I Feel Love and Love To Love You Baby, has died at the age of 63.

Summer was one of disco's biggest stars and also had a huge influence on the synth pop and dance music scenes.

Her family said they were "at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy".

Stars including Kylie Minogue, Sir Elton John and Mary J Blige have paid tribute.

R&B singer Blige said on Twitter that Summer was "truly a game changer", while producer Quincy Jones said her voice "was the heartbeat and soundtrack of a decade".

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-18109654

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-05-18

'Queen of Disco' Donna Summer dies of cancer < br />

2012-05-18 10:41:15 GMT+7 (ICT)

NAPLES, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- Donna Summer, who won five Grammy Awards and whose hits defined the disco era in the 1970s, died in southern Florida on Thursday morning, her family said. She was 63.

Known as 'the Queen of Disco', Summer received worldwide success during the 1970s and early 1980s. She is probably best remembered for successful songs such as 'Love to Love You Baby,' 'Last Dance,' 'Hot Stuff,' 'Bad Girls,' and 'She Works Hard for the Money.'

Summer was the first artist to have three consecutive double albums reach number one on the Billboard chart in the United States with her albums 'Live and More, Bad Girls,' 'On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volume I' and 'Volume II.' She won five Grammys and went on to sell more than 130 million records worldwide.

Publicist Brian Edwards confirmed Summer died of cancer while surrounded by her family in Naples, Florida, but declined to say what type of cancer. "Early this morning, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith," Summer's family said in a brief statement. "While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy. Words truly can't express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time."

An unidentified source told entertainment and gossip website TMZ.com that Summer is believed to have contracted lung cancer by inhaling toxic particles following the attacks against the World Trade Center towers in New York City on September 11, 2001. The report could not immediately be confirmed.

Summer is survived by her husband Bruce Sandano, keyboardist and singer of the band Brooklyn Dreams, their daughters Brooklyn and Amanda, and a third daughter, Mimi, from her previous marriage.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-05-18

I was never a great fan of her music, but there were almost none of her songs I didn't enjoy. She had a phenomenal voice.

Another great singer has been silenced, but her music will live on.

I remember the first time I heard "I Feel Love". My mate and I walked into the disco in 1976(?) at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Sydney, and the DJ played this song. The beat, the techno circling music, and the flashing lights, tattooed this song on my brain as a perenial favourite. I play it to students when they want to know about western music or life in the seventies.

The other song she did was the theme from "The Deep". Such a sexy song. Once on a SA flight from Sydney to Singapore, I played it over and over and over again on the in-flight music channel, while drinking Singapore Slings and Jasmine tea!!

Thanks for the hits, Donna, and enjoy music Heaven!

Edited by Elfin