Technical Question About Ram

PattayaParent

If I buy a netbook which has only 1 slot with 2GB of RAM in it can I remove it and install a single 4GB RAM in the slot?

The CPU is an Atom N2800 which according to Intel can handle 4GB of RAM.

Netbooks in question are Asus 1025C or CE.

Possibly Samsung NP-NC-108 although this model currently only has the N2600 which is only capable of handling 2GB RAM but they may bring out a N2800 model.

The reason I want to do this is the graphics card shares the RAM and it will have Windows 7 Starter (or Home Basic) on it so I want to have extra RAM for the graphics card to use.

Sorry if the question is stupid but so am I when it comes to computers.

Thanks guys!

Edit: it's DDR3 1333 MHZ if that makes a difference?

Edited by PattayaParent

Hi,

It is definitely possible, but does not really boost your graphic performance.

Netbbooks are not gaming laptops and generally lack capability of advanced graphics stuff.

I believe it runs on a 32bit version, which does only recognises 3gb of ram. So, if you install 4, you actually gain only one!

You will probably find that your 2gb are sufficient anyway.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hi,

Netbbooks are not gaming laptops and generally lack capability of advanced graphics stuff.

I believe it runs on a 32bit version, which does only recognises 3gb of ram. So, if you install 4, you actually gain only one!

It's not going to be used for gaming but will be used for Youtube sort of video.

So even 1 GB may be useful?

The Intel spec for the N2800 indicates 64bit.

Edit: looking at the Kingmax website for RAM it looks like all modules are the same size and 204 pin so physically there should be no problem?

Edited by PattayaParent

Hi,

It's not going to be used for gaming but will be used for Youtube sort of video.

So even 1 GB may be useful?

The Intel spec for the N2800 indicates 64bit.

Edit: looking at the Kingmax website for RAM it looks like all modules are the same size and 204 pin so physically there should be no problem?

Physically no problem. Four YouTube you really do not need more shared ram.

Seems the RAM in the Asus is soldered onto the motherboard and CANNOT be upgraded:

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

Also, SteffanBKK has a good point.

On 32bit Windows you cannot see the full 4GB. It can address up to 4GB but some of the address space is used/reserved for virtual devices. So Windows 7 32bit can only see about 3.6 GB.

If the system has a GPU with dedicated onboard memory that further cuts off the 3.6GB address space - e.g. a video card in a PC with 512MB of RAM only leaves 3GB of address space for the system. Even if 4GB RAM is installed, Windows 32bit can only address (aka use, aka 'see') 3GB for its system and programs.

In your case (Windows 7 32bit):

4GB: addressable memory (3.6GB) - dedicated video ram (0GB) - shared video ram (128MB?) - Windows core (0.5GB) = 3 GB

2GB: addressable memory (2GB) - dedicated video ram (0GB) - shared video ram (128MB?) - Windows core (0.5GB) = 1.4 GB

Watching a YouTube video in Chrome takes 150MB on my system (64bit) for one page, with 5 youtube pages running (in tabs) it is about 600MB.

So you should be fine even on a 2GB system if you don't fill it up with junk that is running in the background. But yes, an upgrade to 4GB will make a difference in available RAM despite the 32bit limit.

Btw I wouldn't bother installing Windows 7 64bit - the whole system (Windows core and programs) will use slightly more RAM due to technicalities eating up most of the 0.4GB that you gain compared to a 32bit setup.

(IMPORTANT: this is only for your specific setup - if a computer has dedicated video RAM (0.5GB or more) 64bit will be indeed the better option.)

A word on video performance. The new 'Cedar Trail' Atom line (N2600, N2800, ..) comes with a more powerful GPU (graphics processor) which has special video decoding support (for H.264) - we are talking about Full HD video decoding capabilities so I guess YouTube videos should be fine (with new browsers and Flash versions actually supporting GPU rendering).

http://www.anandtech...he-2012-netbook

hth

Edited by welo

Thanks Welo,

so in a nutshell you're saying

a) I don't really need to upgrade even though a bit extra would be possible to achieve.

and

B) I can't upgrade anyway because the RAM is soldered to the motherboard.

But what has confused me is even though I'd read that it may be soldered to the motherboard, other specs, like the ones you linked, say it's upgradeable from 1GB to 2 GB, so not soldered?

I have seen the model physically and there's no access panel to the RAM to change it without dismantling the machine but one vendor has told me it's possible, while another has said cannot.

So I want ideas on which one is right.

Edit: I saw the note now on the specs you linked to. So I guess you choose 1GB or 2 GB and that's it, no change possible after that?

Edited by PattayaParent

The Asus Eee PC 1025c and 1025ce comes in different configurations in different parts of the world.

As far as I have understod in Thailand the 1025c with N2800 and soldered ram is the only one sold.

I have my eyes on the Asus Eee PC 1225B.

2GB vs 4GB: the answer depends on your usage pattern - how many apps have you running in parallel and how much RAM do they need? If the money is not a problem, why not get more RAM? But will it significantly improve your youtube experience - I doubt it :)

No matter if you need an upgrade or not, soldered RAM (and no additional slot) is crap IMHO. But is it a deal breaker - I am not sure, depends on the alternatives.

The Asus Eee PC 1025c and 1025ce comes in different configurations in different parts of the world.

As far as I have understod in Thailand the 1025c with N2800 and soldered ram is the only one sold.

Nice too, Baht 12,900 with free DVD drive and would have been considered except for THE most important technical requirement which it doesn't have.

It's not pink.

it's for the daughter and she's currently next to me happily watching Scooby Doo on her new pink Asus 1250C.

It's not pink.

it's for the daughter and she's currently next to me happily watching Scooby Doo on her new pink Asus 1250C.

LOL.

Did you find out if the 2GB are soldered or upgradeable?

It's not pink.

LOL.

Did you find out if the 2GB are soldered or upgradeable?

Soldered per the spec you linked to.

But does that necessarily mean it can't be unsoldered and a 4GB soldered in its place?

Nice too, Baht 12,900 with free DVD drive and would have been considered except for THE most important technical requirement which it doesn't have.

It's not pink.

Sweet :)

Were have you seen the 1225B advertised at that price with a dvd drive?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

It's not pink.

Sweet smile.png

Were have you seen the 1225B advertised at that price with a dvd drive?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

In the shop I bought the 1250C in.

A&T Computers Star Plaza Rayong.

Edited by PattayaParent
  • Like 1