Bought A Full Face Helmet

Semper

As the title says, went to a shop and tried different helmets. So I found this REAL helmet size xl which fit perfect but it was the wrong colour, so I asked if they have the same helmet in white. Sure, they brought a white but it was size M, so it didn't fit, but they said no problems we can change the interior to XL and so they did. Helmet fit perfectly, and off I went with a new helmet.

So my question is, are all the helmets the same size outside and the interior is what decides the 'size' of the helmet?

No, different helmets have different numbers of outside shell sizes across the size range. Cheap helmets normally have only one and the most expensive helmets often have three. Obviously the greater the number of shell sizes the better the helmet fits different sized people and the better it looks, as you don't end up looking like a pumpkin head if you buy a small but the helmet is made to fit someone three times your size as well.

Edited by madjbs

as you don't end up looking like a pumpkin head if you buy a small but the helmet is made to fit someone three times your size as well.

How would anyone know the size of your head if you are wearing a full faced helmet? Care to elaborate on this? rolleyes.gif

Eh?

I am talking about what you look like with the helmet on. Smaller people usually have smaller heads, so if they have to wear a helmet which has the shell made to fit someone three times their size, the helmet tends to look stupidly big on them.

Edited by madjbs

Eh?

I am talking about what you look like with the helmet on. Smaller people usually have smaller heads, so if they have to wear a helmet which has the shell made to fit someone three times their size, the helmet tends to look stupidly big on them.

The bigger the had the bigger the brain. So people with big helmets look more intelligent than others ;)

Semper, as you have bought size XL everything is perfect with your new helmet. No expensive helmet could do it much better i would say. But maybe not buy a REAL helmet in size XS, because then you look like a genius :)

as you have bought size XL everything is perfect with your new helmet

Well, I didn't. I bought a size M but they modified it (put the XL interior inside) so it would fit. That should suggest that the smaller head you have, the thicker the interior of the helmet would be (i.e. more protection) blink.png

Edited by Semper

as you have bought size XL everything is perfect with your new helmet

Well, I didn't. I bought a size M but they modified it (put the XL interior inside) so it would fit. That should suggest that the smaller head you have, the thicker the interior of the helmet would be (i.e. more protection) blink.png

No, if i understand everything right smile.png

They changed your helmet to XL, so you have bought a helmet of the size XL. Just remove the "Size: M" sticker on the back.

The cushion is not for protecting. The foam is for protection. They only changed the cushion.

EDIT: Yes, the smaller the head the thicker the "interior" (cushion).

Edited by wantan

Err, maybe i am wrong. Maybe REAL puts a thicker layer of foam into the shell for smaller sizes. Than you could not change the size of the helmet with changing the cushion. Sorry, in fact i don't know. As always wink.png

Edited by wantan

Take a permanent marker if you don't find a proper sticker ;)

The most important thing should be that the helmet "fits perfectly". I don't think a helmet of size "M" is safer than size "XL" or other way around. They are all DOT rated (i guess your helmet is).

Did they replace only the cushion or also the protection foam? (I wouldn't allow any shop to touch the foam of my helmet. Only REAL factory should do such thing.) Which helmet did you buy?

Take a permanent marker if you don't find a proper sticker wink.png

I was thinking maybe I could cut something from a condom wrapping. biggrin.png

Yes they only changed the 'cushion' (now marked XL) and that made me thinking that the shell is the same size for all of the helmets, only the cushion is thinner or thicker depending on what size you want.

Regarding the model, it's one of the cheaper ones '89' something.

Than we may have the same helmet, the GJ-998 in white, 1,400 Baht. But i have size L, shell and cushion tongue.png

Next time i visit my favorite REAL shop i will take a look at cushions with different sizes. I guess the thickness will be different.

Than we may have the same helmet, the GJ-998 in white, 1,400 Baht. But i have size L, shell and cushion tongue.png

Next time i visit my favorite REAL shop i will take a look at cushions with different sizes. I guess the thickness will be different.

Correct, the same helmet and I'll bet money on that if you check the 'S', the cushions must be thinner. BTW. I like the helmet, it's very quiet. smile.png

I ran into this situation at Bangkok's International Bike Show at Central World earlier this year.

I was looking to buy a new helmet for my girlfriend who rides pillion with me most places.

We found a helmet she liked 'Real' and as mentioned above the helmet was the wrong size. As soon as they said they would replace the interior for one from another helmet i turned away and spent a couple more grand on a Shark helmet that was the correct size out of the box and didn't have 12" of foam padding.

I ran into this situation at Bangkok's International Bike Show at Central World earlier this year.

I was looking to buy a new helmet for my girlfriend who rides pillion with me most places.

We found a helmet she liked 'Real' and as mentioned above the helmet was the wrong size. As soon as they said they would replace the interior for one from another helmet i turned away and spent a couple more grand on a Shark helmet that was the correct size out of the box and didn't have 12" of foam padding.

Why? Most near ALL manufacturers use this method of changing the lining to adjust the size.

Real do 2 different size shells for most of the range (same as HJC)

others do 3 but its getting rare. THE only real difference is that REAL find it easier to stock linings at shows rather than different boxes of helmets.

also a couple more grand.... really!! A Shark helmet for 4.500b. Wow :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1

Yes a Shark helmet for 4000Baht..... Granted, it's their entry level model but i felt more comfortable buying a brand i'm familiar with compared to the Real :)

I think you'll find the likes of Shoei & Arai make a fair few different shells for different sizes (x3 or more) and shapes of heads (x3 or more) around the world :)

Bed time now :D

Most near ALL manufacturers use this method of changing the lining to adjust the size.

others do 3 but its getting rare. THE only real difference is that REAL find it easier to stock linings at shows rather than different boxes of helmets.

OK, this would makes sense. Using at least 2 sizes for the shell and adjusting the "head fitting size" with different thickness of lining (thanks for giving the correct term for what i called "cushion").

But:

The GJ-998 is available from size S up to XXL:

• S (55-56 cm)
  • M (57-58 cm)
  • L (59-60 cm)
  • XL (61-62 cm)
  • XXL (63-64 cm)

Semper now has a shell labelled "Size M" with a lining wich is labelled "Size XL" (see first post). This would mean that the shell for size M up to size XL has to be similar.

Either the GJ-998 has only one shell size or the shop did something wrong. It would be strange if they would make two different shells that are only used for the sizes S and XXL.

Or am i missing something?

For sure it won't hurt to have a thicker foam padding when having an accident.

Most near ALL manufacturers use this method of changing the lining to adjust the size.

OK, this would makes sense. Using at least 2 sizes for the shell and adjusting the "head fitting size" with different thickness of lining (thanks for giving the correct term for what i called "cushion").

But:

The GJ-998 is available from size S up to XXL:

• S (55-56 cm)
  • M (57-58 cm)
  • L (59-60 cm)
  • XL (61-62 cm)
  • XXL (63-64 cm)

Semper now has a shell labelled "Size M" with a lining wich is labelled "Size XL" (see first post). This would mean that the shell for size M up to size XL has to be similar.

Either the GJ-998 has only one shell size or the shop did something wrong. It would be strange if they would make two different shells that are only used for the sizes S and XXL.

Or am i missing something?

Maybe they cut off the foam a little to make it fit in the smaller shell whistling.gif

You know amazing miraclel Thailand

Only one way to find out if it works. Semper go hit your head, with helment on and let us know the out come. I have a real full face and I am very happy with it good ventilation while in motion.

or maybe get a set of outside calipers and measure the different sizes at the shop; unless you really like hitting your head against a brick wall. laugh.png

Have had several Real Helmets and great value for money. They've saved my head twice. I have even put Real stickers on my Arai to help diguise it! Looks like they are-bringing/have-brung out a couple of new helmets including a Kevlar one (THB 6,800), but couldn't find any specs. The Cyber looks good, and hope it is lighter than the previous ones.

http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&product_id=36

post-70604-0-09111800-1337480240_thumb.j

For 1500 the Real helmet that I bought this week is okay. The good things are that it pumps good air, cheap, and it's it fits right. The bad thing it's noisy, the plastics are shit and visor doesn't come down perfectly. The visor closes just fine but you have to play with it a little.

agree with the above and also it has problems at speeds over 160kmh, mine tends to push back into my face getting worse as speed increases, could probably fix this with some cushion changes at the front, the helmet is a tight fit at the sides but could be tighter at the front forehead region

agree with the above and also it has problems at speeds over 160kmh, mine tends to push back into my face getting worse as speed increases, could probably fix this with some cushion changes at the front, the helmet is a tight fit at the sides but could be tighter at the front forehead region

There might be other 'problems' involved when travelling over 160km/h. sad.png