Thai Economy Rebounds Strongly From Flood Crisis

webfact

Thailand to import rubber

Thailand, the world's biggest rubber producer and exporter, will import rubber for the first time to meet deliveries at a time when domestic supply is tight because of the impact of unseasonal rains, The Thai Rubber Association said on Monday.

Prapas Uernontat, the president of the association, did not specify the exact amount of rubber that Thailand would import, but said it would be equivalent to the current Japan rubber stocks of around 15,000 tonnes.

Continues:

http://uk.finance.ya...-032053722.html

BANGKOK, May 21, 2012 (Reuters)

Doesn't this article say that the reason for the shortage is flooding in South Thailand and suggest that the rubber harvest is merely behind schedule? The trees have not died, so the harvest has not been lost.

Thailand, the world's biggest rubber producer and exporter, will import rubber for the first time to meet deliveries at a time when domestic supply is tight because of the impact of unseasonal rains, The Thai Rubber Association said on Monday.

Prapas Uernontat, the president of the association, did not specify the exact amount of rubber that Thailand would import, but said it would be equivalent to the current Japan rubber stocks of around 15,000 tonnes.

Continues:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buchholz, does it never occur to you and your fellow-protagonists that anyone who does not subscribe to your views is not necesarily a "pro-Red"?

I defy you, with your famous research capabilities to show that I have ever shown support for them. I expect an apology when you search fails.

This was a perfectly valid discussion about the Thai economy being in a positive position. You deemed it appropriate to introduce rubber imports in an attempt to suggest that the government was in some way failing, Are you surprised that it received a negative response?

It might interest you to know that I have a view of the Thai body politic that is not about the existence of Thaksin as a dictator with a dynasty to follow; I completely accept his undesirability as an influence. However I believe that what he has done is unwittingly create a force for change that will be unstoppable in the modern world where everything is on view internationally.

In such a situation, military coups are unacceptable if Thailand is not to be seen as a latterday Myanmar.

Yo have said yourself that the Redshirt movement is less admiring of Thaksin. I agree but in my opinion the movement itself iis not likely to dissipate from lack of his largesse but will remain in Thai politics with an electoral potential which will scare any opponents.

Maybe democracy in Thailand is possible.

Edited by pastitche

Who's this: National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB); who's on the board; what credentials justify this source?! If they are Thai, have any business in Thailand, or are in any way connected to important Thais then they shouldn't be trusted for a second (as honesty and clarity are significantly less important than a parochial sense of reputation). I stopped reading this the moment I hit this source. The global economy is poised on a precipice as Greece refigures its global status...no economy is doing well right now. Somehow in Thailand, though, everyone is "sabai, sabai". Soooooo suspicious. It's funny because if you watch the international news and then watch the Thai version you get a very clear picture about exactly how much b&llshit comes out of the Land of Smiles everyday.

That the Thai economy grew 0.3% in the last year is pretty impressive given the floods of last year. If they had floods like that in somewhere like the UK then GDP would have been down 5-10%. Even a 2-day holiday for the queen's jubilee is expected to knock GDP by 0.5% (according to Bank of England). Imagine if they'd had months of flooding.

Not sure how you lot think 0.3% is bad considering what happened. The Thai economy will outgrow Europe and USA for many years to come. And their deficit and debt is extremely low. I would rather invest here than in Europe.

And economic growth for 2012 is likely to be around 6%. That's pretty impressive. You lot are a very negative bunch. Go take some happy pills.

According to who? Thailand? Yep, and the average per capita income in Thailand, coupled with the latest considerations of inflation, are sure to make the UK and the USA way worse for general living than Thailand (I'm sure that's why the entirety of the first world is moving to the Land of Smiles). You should invest in Thailand. They love folks like you. Exactly what sort of business would you invest in? Thailand is a stable investment, without political problems, environmental issues, or general management problems over the long-term. I'm sure the Eurozone problems won't affect the Thai economy. They call it "Miracle Thailand".

Edited by Unkomoncents

Buchholz, does it never occur to you and your fellow-protagonists that anyone who does not subscribe to your views is not necesarily a "pro-Red"?

I defy you, with your famous research capabilities to show that I have ever shown support for them. I expect an apology when you search fails.

This was a perfectly valid discussion about the Thai economy being in a positive position. You deemed it appropriate to introduce rubber imports in an attempt to suggest that the government was in some way failing, Are you surprised that it received a negative response?

It might interest you to know that I have a view of the Thai body politic that is not about the existence of Thaksin as a dictator with a dynasty to follow; I completely accept his undesirability as an influence. However I believe that what he has done is unwittingly create a force for change that will be unstoppable in the modern world where everything is on view internationally.

In such a situation, military coups are unacceptable if Thailand is not to be seen as a latterday Myanmar.

Yo have said yourself that the Redshirt movement is less admiring of Thaksin. I agree but in my opinion the movement itself iis not likely to dissipate from lack of his largesse but will remain in Thai politics with an electoral potential which will scare any opponents.

I admit I am anti red shirt.

But your post does make a lot of sense.

I how ever see the red shirt movement dying out. With out Thaksin's money backing them they will not be able to continue as one movement. All ready I see on another thread where there is already three different factions.

Economics are way out of my field but it would seem to me if we where looking at the overall picture the rebound would not be all that great if it wasn't for the government buying up rice at over inflated prices.

Please do not think that I agree with the claim they make. They are the government and have been known from time to time say things that were cherry picked out of reality to make them selves look good. [all Governments do it]

if the numbers are true then its somewhat impressive that there was a rebound. however most of that is rice income which is unaffected once flood waters recede. the stats above say gdp growth between Q1 2010 and Q1 2012 was only 0.2%. so the flood knocked out ALL other growth even in unaffected regions?

this is an optimistic sounding article but the stats show a different story. and so does the baht exchange rate.

Al Jazerra also did a very positive prime time news story a day ago with the same good news statistics and a live interview with the PM in English. It seems the only doomsayers about the Thai economy are the anti Red posters from Thai Visa. The rest should show up momentarily.

Not necessarily. If the economy is growing (and not just under under a rebound from a one off incident like the floods) but the government deficit is behind the growth (fiscal deficit larger than GDP growth), then is that really a sign of strength in the economy? If you listen to journalists and the news you will be led astray every time.

"If you listen to the journalists and the news you will be led astray every time"So who should we listen to? The news has been reporting that the "PIGS" were in trouble for years. Are they wrong? The news also reports global stock market reports and currency transactions daily. Are they wrong? You gotta get better talking points.

Look at the underlying data, then form an opinion about how upbeat things are. The article makes it sound like everything is back to normal.

Nice soliloquy, but going further and further off-topic, which started with kerryk's nonsensical diatribe about anti-Reds hijacking a thread, despite there being no anti-Red posts.

I introduced the world's largest rubber exporter now becoming an importer for the first time ever as it seemed somewhat contradictory to what the OP was saying in my economic layman's line of thinking. Rather than explain why that may not be the case, it was just attacked as off-topic anti-Red rant and perpetuated by birdpoo, with no elaboration whatsoever in his post other than to chastise.

Your post following his dragged it further off-course and came within minutes and right on the heels of your somewhat bizarrely repetitive, non-nonsensical posts over the Bible as a current news source in another thread.

If you or kerryk or birdpoo would consider that not every thread has to be turned into some political argument ( an accusation that has hypocritically been leveled against anti-Reds frequently ), than perhaps it wouldn't have started this derailment of the topic that kerryk first accused others of beginning.

But don't worry, you guys have managed to take it so far afield, I'll leave the thread to you and your ilk.

I do, however, look forward to reading, without replying, to your and birdpoo's many forthcoming posts elaborating on the intricacies and dynamics of the economic implications for Thailand, without any further personal attacks.

Or not.

rolleyes.gif

p.s. just for clarity, there was no "discussion", let alone a "perfectly valid" one as you indicate, when I made my first post.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Buchholz

Nice soliloquy, but going further and further off-topic, which started with kerryk's nonsensical diatribe about anti-Reds hijacking a thread, despite there being no anti-Red posts.

I introduced the world's largest rubber exporter now becoming an importer for the first time ever as it seemed somewhat contradictory to what the OP was saying in my economic layman's line of thinking. Rather than explain why that may not be the case, it was just attacked as off-topic anti-Red rant and perpetuated by birdpoo, with no elaboration whatsoever in his post other than to chastise.

Your post following his dragged it further off-course and came within minutes and right on the heels of your somewhat bizarrely repetitive, non-nonsensical posts over the Bible as a current news source in another thread.

If you or kerryk or birdpoo would consider that not every thread has to be turned into some political argument ( an accusation that has hypocritically been leveled against anti-Reds frequently ), than perhaps it wouldn't have started this derailment of the topic that kerryk first accused others of beginning.

But don't worry, you guys have managed to take it so far afield, I'll leave the thread to you and your ilk.

I do, however, look forward to reading, without replying, to your and birdpoo's many forthcoming posts elaborating on the intricacies and dynamics of the economic implications for Thailand, without any further personal attacks.

Or not.

rolleyes.gif

aren't you meant to spell a posters name correctly as a rule here?

normally i wouldn't give a flying flute but since you're such a stickler for the rules and always 'liking' the comments asserting those rules, i made the exception of pointing it out.

• Like 1

Continues:

With the new Ford plant in Rayong expected to produce 500,000 vehicles a year it is not surprising Thailand would need more rubber for tires and parts made locally.

Car tires are not made from rubber trees any more. Tires and other "rubber" products are produced from synthetic rubber, made from petroleum based polymers.

Pre-World War II tires were produced using the sap of rubber trees and through a process called vulcanization (created by Charles Goodyear). The vulcanization process entails heating the sap and adding sulfur, peroxide, or bisphenol to improve elasticity. Source: Wiki

Edited by JRinger

Continues:

With the new Ford plant in Rayong expected to produce 500,000 vehicles a year it is not surprising Thailand would need more rubber for tires and parts made locally.

Car tires are not made from rubber trees any more. Tires and other "rubber" products are produced from synthetic rubber, made from petroleum based polymers.

I know someone who works for Bridgestone and can assure you that rubber is still used in tyres.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_manufacture

Sent from my shoe phone

Edited by whybother

Continues:

I know someone who works for Bridgestone and can assure you that rubber is still used in tyres.

http://en.m.wikipedi...yre_manufacture

Sent from my shoe phone

your source included this: This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2009)

additionally: according to another source: chacha.com "

"Tires are not made from rubber trees. The tread itself is made from a mixture of both natural and synthetic rubbers".

So it seems very little rubber from rubber trees is used in the manufacturing of tires.

Edited by JRinger

The rubber import post was without comment; how is that "an attempt to suggest that the government was in some way failing", except in your own mind? Isn't the rubber industry part of the Thai economy?

The latec collected from rubber trees is not a variable. if for any reason it can't be collected and the bark wound kept open, it is indeed lost.

Are you sure your musings on Thai democracy are apt on an thread supposedly about economics?

your source included this: This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2009)

"Tires are not made from rubber trees. The tread itself is made from a mixture of both natural and synthetic rubbers".

So it seems very little rubber from rubber trees is used in the manufacturing of tires.

April 2009 ... And no one has fixed it yet? Maybe it doesn't need fixing.

How do you go from "mixture of both natural and synthetic rubber" to "very little rubber from rubber trees"?

Especially when you originally said " Car tires are not made from rubber trees any more. Tires and other "rubber" products are produced from synthetic rubber, made from petroleum based polymers. "

Sent from my shoe phone

Google is pretty easy. http://media.ford.com/article_print.cfm?article_id=36452

Ford Thailand Manufacturing has an initial production capacity of 150,000 vehicles – increasing the company's annual capacity in Thailand to 445,000 – making Ford one of the largest producers and exporters of vehicles in the country.

The topic is "Thai Economy rebounds strongly from flood crisis." What does Thailand buying rubber have to do with that? You wrote, "I'm not an economics expert, but it would seem to indicate that perhaps the economic rebound is not bouncing (pun intended) all that well in the rubber industry, a not unimportant component of the Thai economy." No it does not. It could be Thailand is using more rubber. Your post has nothing to do with the topic.

The rubber issue should be front page news on its own. In and of itself it should be a bombshell. If you read the article, the government has already pumped 500 mn USD into buying rubber while the price has been dropping, which has been largely unreported here. I would imagine, the processors have been buying while the price has been dropping, and whoops, they are uncompetitive in comparison with importing. I don't buy this "seasonal" shortage story, it is once again the processors screwing the little guy.

They run around claiming that they need protection to keep foreign entities out of the market, but when the market goes against them, they run off and import instead of buying locally. Anyway, I don't think it is indicative of the performance of the Thai economy, it is just another prime example of the little guy getting screwed by the middle man/processor, and sends a pretty big rocket across the bow of the farmers and the government that they won't be dictated to by the prices in the local market. I will do a bit more research.

As for tyres not needing natural rubber, it is the price of oil that dictates how much natural rubber goes into a tyre. If not, I wonder why my friend has to be audited by Goodyear every month for quality?

The rubber import post was without comment; how is that "an attempt to suggest that the government was in some way failing", except in your own mind? Isn't the rubber industry part of the Thai economy?

The latec collected from rubber trees is not a variable. if for any reason it can't be collected and the bark wound kept open, it is indeed lost.

Are you sure your musings on Thai democracy are apt on an thread supposedly about economics?

Actually Mic I kind of agree with you. The OP was very pro Thai economy. Who would that upset? People who are anti Thai. Or people who are anti the current government. Or people who are anti Red Shirts (because they think the current government is Red Shirt dominated). Or anti Thaksin (because they think Thaksin is running the government).

Given that information Buchholz posts an article about Thailand importing rubber for the first time. Bear with me for a second. Why would Buchholz post an article about rubber in a thread about the general upturn about the Thai economy except to disagree with the OP. This is the first time rubber has been imported so says Buchholz's article so that must be bad in Buchholz's mind(I think). If I am correct in that assumption then Buchholz fits into one of the anti categories above. I guess to really understand what went on I need to know why Buchholz posted an article about rubber in a thread that as far as I can see in his article has nothing to do with the OP. (Actually it does but I don't think Buchholz knew that when he posted the rubber piece. Automobiles use all sorts of rubber in production of parts besides tires. And there are also latex condoms which Thailand could use more of but those are other issues.) The only reason I posted was normally in any thread containing good news about Thailand certain posters who usually never start their own topics come out in droves and tell everyone who will listen how bad Thailand is. And since this OP is a puts a positive spin on the Thai economy I figured the anti or anti red or anti government or what ever you want to call them would be out in force.

So was I wrong? Did Buchholz post the story about rubber to agree with the OP that the Thai economy is rebounding strongly? Or was I correct and Buchholz posted the article to disagree with the OP and the Thai economy is really not rebounding?

Actually Mic I kind of agree with you. The OP was very pro Thai economy. Who would that upset? People who are anti Thai. Or people who are anti the current government. Or people who are anti Red Shirts (because they think the current government is Red Shirt dominated). Or anti Thaksin (because they think Thaksin is running the government).

Given that information Buchholz posts an article about Thailand importing rubber for the first time. Bear with me for a second. Why would Buchholz post an article about rubber in a thread about the general upturn about the Thai economy except to disagree with the OP. This is the first time rubber has been imported so says Buchholz's article so that must be bad in Buchholz's mind(I think). If I am correct in that assumption then Buchholz fits into one of the anti categories above. I guess to really understand what went on I need to know why Buchholz posted an article about rubber in a thread that as far as I can see in his article has nothing to do with the OP. (Actually it does but I don't think Buchholz knew that when he posted the rubber piece. Automobiles use all sorts of rubber in production of parts besides tires. And there are also latex condoms which Thailand could use more of but those are other issues.) The only reason I posted was normally in any thread containing good news about Thailand certain posters who usually never start their own topics come out in droves and tell everyone who will listen how bad Thailand is. And since this OP is a puts a positive spin on the Thai economy I figured the anti or anti red or anti government or what ever you want to call them would be out in force.

So was I wrong? Did Buchholz post the story about rubber to agree with the OP that the Thai economy is rebounding strongly? Or was I correct and Buchholz posted the article to disagree with the OP and the Thai economy is really not rebounding?

...anti-Thai...poster's motivations for posting...don't think someone knew what they were posting...automobiles...latex condoms...never start threads...rebounding...Buchholz....

conspiracy-theory.png

You did not mention which post is relevant? Mine, yours, Buchholz's. I am assuming mine so I agree with you on that too.

Edited by sbk
flame removed

...anti-Thai...poster's motivations for posting...don't think someone knew what they were posting...automobiles...latex condoms...never start threads...rebounding...Buchholz....

conspiracy-theory.png

Cute but of course not relevant to the question. So, I'll ask it again. Why did you post the rubber news story; to agree with the OP or disagree? Come on fellow posters is that a difficult question? It is it normal to post a news story for no reason at all? Shouldn't it have something to do with the content of the thread?

Just STOP will you? Keep it civil, I am sure you recall how. The flaming the sniping and the off topic bickering is getting beyond ridiculous and I am about one step away from suspending the major instigators.

• Like 2

April 2009 ... And no one has fixed it yet? Maybe it doesn't need fixing.

How do you go from "mixture of both natural and synthetic rubber" to "very little rubber from rubber trees"?

Especially when you originally said " Car tires are not made from rubber trees any more. Tires and other "rubber" products are produced from synthetic rubber, made from petroleum based polymers. "

Sent from my shoe phone

Looks like you didn't bother to see the 'source' of my post...I, didn't say anything. I just quoted Wiki and Chacha.com

are you saying that tires are made of 100% rubber from rubber trees? and no polymers or other rubber substitutes being used to manufacture tires? you may want to spend two minutes searching google or others before you start your rant. Everything I've found says that there is very little rubber used in the manufacturing of tires....and I would suspect the cheaper tires use all rubber substitutes......anyway, I'm tired of talking about tires....go argue with someone else,.

Edited by JRinger

Or not.

rolleyes.gif

normally i wouldn't give a flying flute but since you're such a stickler for the rules and always 'liking' the comments asserting those rules, i made the exception of pointing it out.

hey ... I'll give a like to your post, too.

as for the "what, I don't see any anti-red posts here" BS (Buchholz-Speak, definitely not to be confused with profanity, just recognition of his unique style of thread-twisting), so regarding this form of BS, is appears to be typical on-purpose misunderstanding of KerryK's rather clear post. But heck, par for the course.

so as to avoid more - gosh you are OT comments, I find the article to be straight forward. The economy s*cked last year, clearly because of the floods, finished with flat growth, and is projected to have good growth this year. Summary : Thailand rebounds from flood crisis...

B)

Summary : Thailand rebounds from flood crisis...

In itself true, we're back to pre-flood levels. GDP growth for 2011 was forecast as 3.0-5.0%, but ended with 1.0% only. GDP growth in January 2012 was 0.3% of January 2011. With (still) major problems in Europe and America the current forecast of 5.5-6.5% for the whole of 2012 seems somewhat optimistic even with the billions and billions of Baht pomped into the economy through various government policies. Already the THB 400 billion for price fledging and THB 350 billion for flood management makes a real difference. GDP up, up. People rich, what's the problem ermm.gif

Edited by rubl

Or not.

rolleyes.gif

hey ... I'll give a like to your post, too.

as for the "what, I don't see any anti-red posts here" BS (Buchholz-Speak, definitely not to be confused with profanity, just recognition of his unique style of thread-twisting), so regarding this form of BS, is appears to be typical on-purpose misunderstanding of KerryK's rather clear post. But heck, par for the course.

so as to avoid more - gosh you are OT comments, I find the article to be straight forward. The economy s*cked last year, clearly because of the floods, finished with flat growth, and is projected to have good growth this year. Summary : Thailand rebounds from flood crisis...

cool.png

More like Thailand's economy recovers from the floods, by spending and may enjoy good growth this year, through debt. Summary: Thailands economy has flat growth.

Edited by waza

More like Thailand's economy recovers from the floods, by spending and may enjoy good growth this year, through debt. Summary: Thailands economy has flat growth.

Data? Statistics? Something to support your random thoughts? Or is it just Thai bashing again? Maybe a news article about rubber or something? Anything.