Dropped 1 Baht Coin...Do You Pick It Up?

eeeya

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if I picked up every dropped 1b coin I see from now until I meet my maker it would not total more than a few hundred baht........... not exactly a good hourly earner is it.

My commentary is more for fun, but it is true too. It isn't about hourly, yearly or "secondly" wage. It was just about putting it into an hourly context. The truth is people will sit at work and earn .08 baht per second (for a wage of 300baht per hour) but they will not take a second to pick a baht off the floor -- that would be about 12 times their hourly wage. I just think it is interesting and discussing for fun, don't necessarily have an opinion either way. I think we are illogical beings sometimes, but we don't like to admit it.

I mean think about the above for a Thai construction worker, who earns maybe 30 baht an hour. That is REALLY illogical.

Edited by meand

I reckon if I picked up every dropped 1b coin I see from now until I meet my maker it would not total more than a few hundred baht........... not exactly a good hourly earner is it.

My commentary is more for fun, but it is true too. It isn't about hourly, yearly or "secondly" wage. It was just about putting it into an hourly context. The truth is people will sit at work and earn .08 baht per second (for a wage of 300baht per hour) but they will not take a second to pick a baht off the floor -- that would be about 12 times their hourly wage. I just think it is interesting and discussing for fun, don't necessarily have an opinion either way. I think we are illogical beings sometimes, but we don't like to admit it.

I mean think about the above for a Thai construction worker, who earns maybe 30 baht an hour. That is REALLY illogical.

But picking up a single 1 baht coin is not 12 times their hourly wage.

There have been a couple of times when my wife has just about done a commando roll at the same time as almost pulling me off my feet to get to a one baht coin

Tom Tao.

This sounds like you're holding hands when walking with your wife. rolleyes.gif

I always hold hands with my wife when out walking. It stops her shopping. tongue.png

This thread has prompted me to start employing dwarves (Plural).

This has the following benefits:

1) They have less distance to crouch down when picking up my dropped change.

2) If I drop a series of coins more than one dwarf ensures maximum recovery.

3) If get lost they can stand on each others shoulders and give me directions.

4) I employ those otherwise difficult to employ and feel good about doing something for humanity.

5) When I'm looking for something they don't get in my way.

6) They fit neatly into the luggage space of my 4x4.

7) When I'm bored I can get them to juggle and perform 'slap-stick' humour.

8) With good communication they can be my chauffeur (one on the breaks, the other on the steering).

9) They act as good couvert security - try and thieve my recovered 1 baht coins and they'll 'nut you in the nuts'

You could also get them to do the laundry and watch them getting their little things up snow white.

Many years ago when West Indians were arriving in the UK in their thousands after hearing that the streets of London were paved with gold, Winston stepped off the brow from the banana boat that had transported him onto the jetty and started to walk down the dockside. He noticed half-a -crown (25p in Monopoly money) laying on the ground and went to pick it up. Then he had second thoughts. 'No, I'll start work tomorrow" he decided.

but if i cant get it after say 10 seconds of stooped over

Can I assume that you don't eat with chopsticks? rolleyes.gif

im more concerned about looking like a embarrased constipated soi dog trying to take a dump on the street

is that 1 baht coin really worth is???

Yes, if you're in the queue at checkout in the supermarket with the bag boy, cashier and other customers watching you, scrabbling around on the floor for 1 baht (or even worse, 25 satang) does tend to rob one of any hope of a dignified exit from the store.

There have been a couple of times when my wife has just about done a commando roll at the same time as almost pulling me off my feet to get to a one baht coin

Tom Tao.

This sounds like you're holding hands when walking with your wife. rolleyes.gif

I always hold hands with my wife when out walking. It stops her shopping. tongue.png

If you let go she shops. :P

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

On a related theme...you do know copper wire was invented in Thailand by two cheap charlie farangs fighting of a dropped 1 baht coin...rolleyes.gif

(apologies to our resident brethern who live/lived on the other side of Hadrians wall, and wear a dress, as this joke is usually directed at them, but had to try and make it topical)

Surely you meant tropical? No?smile.png

Sent from my Mickey Mouse phone using space age technology.

Edited by ratcatcher

I definitely pick it up if it's reachabl ; not because of its valeu but I think that I shouldn't drop something and leave it there.

But I if see someone drop it, I won't bother picking it up.

I feel the same, Its like leaving your rubbish (probably the word "footprint" would be more respectful). instead of cleaning up after yourself.

Id generally pick it up if it was by feet. if it rolls away somewhere under something I wouldn't bother .

I pick them up. Force of habit, picking up pennies, when I was a kid.

I was obsessed with my pennies too when I was a kid. :rolleyes:

leave the one baht and less coins on the counter at 7 11....a donatiion to thais behind you in line...almost assured that it means more to them than to you... ...a baht here and a baht there and next thing you know baht you've got.

leave the one baht and less coins on the counter at 7 11....a donatiion to thais behind you in line...almost assured that it means more to them than to you... ...a baht here and a baht there and next thing you know baht you've got.

Imagine someone doing that in a western country. People would think your mad

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

I dropped one baht under a counter today. I would have had to get on my knees and fish it out and I could not even where it was. I did not have to ponder it too much to come to the conclusion that it was more trouble than it was worth.

Yes, on the basis that it's littering more than anything else. (In the same way I would pick up a sweet wrapper).

Although I probably wouldn't go as far as looking for a bin for a 1 baht coin... - the 25 and 50 satang coins... - maybe...

Imagine someone doing that in a western country. People would think your mad

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your comment.

Canada just got rid of its pennies because they're more trouble than they're worth. In the US they've cost a lot more to manufacture and deal with than they're worth for a very long time. "Leave a penny/take a penny" trays are very common in small shops, at least around New England, also saw them in Australia.

Does that conflict with what you posted?

Considering that 1bt is worth more than 3 pennies stateside, I'd try to pick it up. Money is money. Take it to 7-eleven and they take it regardless of how you made or found it - office worker, farmer or thief. Of course, time is also money so if I'm in a bind, I wouldn't spend the effort searching for a 1bt coin.

-Shawn

Some time back I was waiting on the Sky Train. A lady beside me dropped a ten baht coin and I stopped it with my foot from rolling off the edge and onto the tracks. She got quite upset with me and asked me in English why I stepped on her King. I won't make that mistake again. I was expecting a smile for giving it back to her.

I normally put all my loose change in a big bottle, but this morning I found a 1 baht coin on the floor next to the dressing table and without really thinking just stuck it in my pocket before dashing out for a hospital appointment at Chiang Mai Ram

My bill was 401 baht, I am sure you can imagine how I was overwhelmed with joy so not to be lumbered with a load more change.

Those buggers won't let you off the 1 baht like a Mom and Pop shop wouldwhistling.gif

Sometimes it's the little things in life going your way rather than against you that make your day worthwhilethumbsup.gif

Or pick one up, then on a date with a lady that you think it may impress, give it to a little kid asking for coins (drop it in without her being able to see denomination of course). Then you're even, but you have pulled way ahead in the pinoche points category.

PS. what about a .25 baht coin (1/4 baht) Mmmmm?

keep those ones for restaurant tips (especially in ,5 star hotels ,steak shops and other high class establishments where the high rollers dine )

We'd eaten at a serve yourself barbeque restaurant and the paid up bill came with 1 baht change. The dilemma, do I give it as a tip (my policy is no tip at slf-service places) or appear the cheap charlie. In the end I thought it not worth the effort of taking it off the plate. My girlfriend thought I was somewhat over generous. She would have taken it. But that's the difference bewteen us.