How Did You Get To Living In A Village?

fanciman

Why did you go / settle there? I guess everyone met their sweetheart and *then* went to live/visit/stay in the village, but maybe i am wrong.

Was anybody just curious and then ...

There is a song: you can check out, but you can never leave :o

Why did you go / settle there? I guess everyone met their sweetheart and *then* went to live/visit/stay in the village, but maybe i am wrong.

There is a song: you can check out, but you can never leave  :D

I stayed in Phuket for about a year.Came for a holiday and forgot to go home for 2 years :D

moved to bangkok :D

We then moved to Khon kean

Great grand mother wanted to see more of her grand daugther so she gave us some land and I went and had a look and decided to build a house and lived happy ever after :o:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Rigger

I started in Phuket came for a holiday and forgot to go home for 2 years :D

I then moved to bangkok :D

Great grand mother wanted to see more of her grand daugther so she gave us some land and I went and had a look and decided to build a house and lived happy ever after :o:D:D:D:D:D

Just wondering. .how much is $ does it cost to live in T/land per year with a decent standard

(not being cheeky) I mean a nice apartment or house food booz ,bills small car etc just to get an idea of what sort of money we are talking about,in a city or village is there a big difference on cost

Just wondering. .how much is $ does it cost to live in T/land per year with a decent standard

(not being cheeky) I mean a nice apartment or house food booz ,bills small car etc just to get an idea of what sort of money we are talking about,in a city or village is there a big difference on cost

There is a big differents in cost when compairing village life to city life at just a guess I would say 60,000 in the city to live well and 30,000 in the village but this is only a ruff number as we all live different. I spend a lot more but I have two kids and a wife plus a few projects on the go. I know guys that live in citys and live OK on 30,000 a month it is all up to the person

I may be wrong but everyone I know living in a village in Isaan went there because of their wife, usually who was met in the 'tourist areas'.

Why on earth would someone live in a village for any other reason?

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be accepted unless they were connected to a local person.

It is hard enough sometimes for my wife to be accepted by certain locals in Khon Kaen city, coming from Central Thailand.

I know a lot of guys who moved to Isaan for other reasons than women, or at least ones they were with, but never to a village, only large cities. There area few teachers that get sent to fairly remote places.

Farang men go to villages at the request of their wife, or for financial reasons - you can live in a village in Isaan for $1000 a year - I know someone who is doing that.

I plan to retire in another 20 years or so to a quiet farm in Isaan, where I won't need more than 5,000 baht a month to live.

I may be wrong but everyone I know living in a village in Isaan went there because of their wife, usually who was met in the 'tourist areas'.

Why on earth would someone live in a village for any other reason?

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be accepted unless they were connected to a local person.

It is hard enough sometimes for my wife to be accepted by certain locals in Khon Kaen city, coming from Central Thailand.

I know a lot of guys who moved to Isaan for other reasons than women, or at least ones they were with, but never to a village, only large cities. There area few teachers that get sent to fairly remote places.

Farang men go to villages at the request of their wife, or for financial reasons - you can live in a village in Isaan for $1000 a year - I know someone who is doing that.

I plan to retire in another 20 years or so to a quiet farm in Isaan, where I won't need more than 5,000 baht a month to live.

Sure I moved there because wife wanted to but the style of living suits me as I enjoy country life. Riding dirt bikes and cruisers very little traffic most of the time cops are easy going. People are friendly.Wild Pigs on the spit

And of coarse the sweet smell of pig shit while I drink my chang and watch the cows and buffalo come home. I love it

As for living on $1000 dollars a year I am sure plenty of Thai live on that amount but a farang must be a boring life no car no beer no holidays no shopping at big c or tesco

A person that moved to a small village would not last long with out family

Came for a holiday about 4 years ago, met the girlfriend. Lived in Pattaya with her for 1 year. Girlfriend fell pregnant, thought long and hard about where we were living. So decided to move to the village where the rest of the family live in Sakon Nakhon (Northeast), build a home get married and bring the baby up with the rest of the family. I have never looked back. It was my choice to live in the village, my wife would have stayed in Pattaya if i had wanted to.

There are 3 of us farangs married into the same family, and we all live within 100 meters of each other.

I have never been asked for anything from anyone, so i suppose i have been lucky in that sense.

Came for a holiday about 4 years ago, met the girlfriend. Lived in Pattaya with her for 1 year. Girlfriend fell pregnant, thought long and hard about where we were living. So decided to move to the village where the rest of the family live in Sakon Nakhon (Northeast), build a home get married and bring the baby up with the rest of the family. I have never looked back. It was my choice to live in the village, my wife would have stayed in Pattaya if i had wanted to.

There are 3  of us farangs married into the same family, and we all live within 100 meters of each other. 

I have never been asked for anything from anyone, so i suppose i have been lucky in that sense.

My story is a bit different, we were sent from borneo to Sunny Isaan in march 1962, the Royal Engineers were building an airfield here we were doing a bit of sneaky pete and hearts and minds in the surrounding villages, pattaya was still a little village then, we used to pass through on our way to sattahib naval base, I spent nearly 5 years in Isaan, before I left there was a ceremony in the village and I was presented with the lifelong lease of a house in the village ,by the puyai ban,apart from a few hiccups we stay in the village for at least 6 weeks everytime we are in thailand, my wife is english, she and my kids, grandkids love the village, Leong Nok Tha is to us a home from home , we have made many foreign friends in the area too, isaan is no longer a poor relative to the rest of thailand, but as far as we are concerned the it is a cultural wealth of international influx, despite the prolonged efforts of the septics to stuff it up :o .nignoy

My story is a bit different

It sure is, and a good one too!

As for living on $1000 dollars a year I am sure plenty of Thai live on that amount but a farang must be a boring life no car no beer no holidays no shopping at big c or tesco

Very true, I think you need holidays abroad once every few years.

As for shopping at Big C and tesco - not really my idea of excitement.

A person that moved to a small village would not last long with out family

Hear here!

60k per month.

QUOTE(Nuts @ 2006-01-02 23:45:33)

QUOTE(Rigger @ 2006-01-02 23:33:08)

QUOTE(fanciman @ 2006-01-02 23:12:45)

There is a song: you can check out, but you can never leave 

I started in Phuket came for a holiday and forgot to go home for 2 years 

I then moved to bangkok 

Great grand mother wanted to see more of her grand daugther so she gave us some land and I went and had a look and decided to build a house and lived happy ever after     

60k per month.

Depends where you are.

Iif you own the car upcountry then you can have a very good standard of living on half of that, ie 30,000 baht a month.

I can certainly understand the attraction of retiring upcountry with the wife in your old age.

However, if there are children involved, I'm still trying to resolve whether this would be a dis-service to them because of the difference in education and lifestyle. Would be quite an adjustment to leave the Ban in Thailand to go to college and a job in some American city.......

kenk3z

I can certainly understand the attraction of retiring upcountry with the wife in your old age.

However, if there are children involved, I'm still trying to resolve whether this would be a dis-service to them because of the difference in education and lifestyle.  Would be quite an adjustment to leave the Ban in Thailand to go to college and a job in some American city.......

kenk3z

I agree the local schools dont offer much. I was thinking about moving to one of the small citys in thailand once the kids are of schooling age. The wife is adament that we will go back to Australia for schooling. So I guess we will go back to Oz