Thailand's 2011 Annual Tourism Income Rises 30%

webfact

No clue if this is the case but one reason for the bigger than usual increase in number of International visitors in 2011 may be do to the flooding. Probably lots of people who came in on 30-day entries for issues related to the flooding be it volunteering or work/business related. Just not sure these numbers could compensate for the loss during this period but then again people going and staying South of Bangkok shouldn't have been deterred by the floods ... especially those not coming for their first visit.

It was like 2 different worlds during the floods. Phuket tourism was busy. O can't speak for Koh Samui or Krabi etc., but Phuket was alot busier than in the previous year. My friend said the occupancy at the 3 resorts he does the accounting for had higher occupancy rates than last year. Doesn't mean that was the case across the board, but his group improved its reach by signing agreements with additional tour/package companies.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue if this is the case but one reason for the bigger than usual increase in number of International visitors in 2011 may be do to the flooding. Probably lots of people who came in on 30-day entries for issues related to the flooding be it volunteering or work/business related. Just not sure these numbers could compensate for the loss during this period but then again people going and staying South of Bangkok shouldn't have been deterred by the floods ... especially those not coming for their first visit.

It was like 2 different worlds during the floods. Phuket tourism was busy. O can't speak for Koh Samui or Krabi etc., but Phuket was alot busier than in the previous year. My friend said the occupancy at the 3 resorts he does the accounting for had higher occupancy rates than last year. Doesn't mean that was the case across the board, but his group improved its reach by signing agreements with additional tour/package companies.

It appears that tourists from Russia, China and other Asian countries had a big increase in travelers in 2011 while the UK had a big drop off and other western countries either dropped or stayed near the same.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_Most_visited_nationalities

I sure love to know where these guys get the data.

They pull the numbers out of their ass. They have people stand in front of shopping malls and questioning tourists so maybe that is where they get their data.

They also have people from Laos down as spending over 4,000 baht per day just like the other international tourists. Their 10 day trip to Thailand at that rate is equivalent to a year's salary for many in Laos, and they claim 900,000 of them per year do it per year. There simply aren't 900,000 in Laos with that kind of money, and many of those that come to Thailand aren't really tourists anyway. I'm sure a few they poll walking out of MBK spend that much but it can not be true for most.

They pull the numbers out of their ass. They have people stand in front of shopping malls and questioning tourists so maybe that is where they get their data.

They also have people from Laos down as spending over 4,000 baht per day just like the other international tourists. Their 10 day trip to Thailand at that rate is equivalent to a year's salary for many in Laos, and they claim 900,000 of them per year do it per year. There simply aren't 900,000 in Laos with that kind of money, and many of those that come to Thailand aren't really tourists anyway. I'm sure a few they poll walking out of MBK spend that much but it can not be true for most.

It doesn't say visitors from Laos are spending 4,000 baht a day or that their average stay is 10 days. It says these are the averages when looking at ALL tourists from all countries.

1 Malaysian (2.7 visitors to 1 over Laos) buying a 2 Million dollar condo would allow 499 Laotians to enter the country for 1 day and not spend a dime to keep the spending average at 4000 baht.

Edited by Nisa

It doesn't say visitors from Laos are spending 4,000 baht a day or that their average stay is 10 days. It says these are the averages when looking at ALL tourists from all countries.

1 Malaysian (2.7 visitors to 1 over Laos) buying a 2 Million dollar condo would allow 499 Laotians to enter the country for 1 day and not spend a dime to keep the spending average at 4000 baht.

No, I've looked at the stats where they break it down for each individual country. They actually have people from Laos down as spending 3087 Baht per person per day for 5.6 days on average, not 4000 like I thought. There are not 900,000 people in Laos that can afford to spend 3000 baht per day in Thailand. 15-18k Baht is half a years salary in Laos for most workers, 3000 baht is a months salary, few would ever spend that every day per person for a week on vacation. Most of those 900k are not spending remotely near that per person and many are not real tourists to begin with. They just estimate these numbers based on informal polls and they are basically pulled out of their ass

http://www.tourism.g...und_2010-09.pdf

Edited by DP25

Resorts opening around Ranong are like a plague, then the vast majority have no customers. The islands off Ranong are dead, and have been for a long time. 2 or 3 years at least.

I wasn't aware they had a system for tracking all the spending of tourists in Thailand. No checkout girl/guy has ever asked me whether I am resident or visitor.

Maybe all shops have some advanced system of hidden cameras with facial recognition technology linked to the cameras that take your photo at immigration; or maybe they have a huge team of detectives following all tourists and itemising their purchases.

Amazing Thailand.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

It is done by polling / surveys and not at the grocery store. Same as with political polls, Unemployment Figures, Neilson Ratings and so on. You only need a small percentage of total people to get fairly accurate results but they of course are not going to be perfect and why you typically see a footnote saying there is a 3 or 4% margin of error.

I always was of the belief "the smaller the sample the less reliable the result unless the questions are BIASED towards the desired outcome" when in doubt select "C".

• Like 1

The TAT were polling tourists at the Phuket Beach Volleyball tournament last year. I assume they do this on a countrywide basis and collate the results to come up with the type of expenditure figures they have quoted.

With the floods and the terroist threats this is amazing. Thailand should hold flood festivals and terrorist weeks every year and tourism will go through the roof once it catches on. Instead of showing beautiful cristal clean beaches with warm friendly smiles from the locals only to willing to please you, they could show flooded streets with garbage and rats floating around and terror suspects blowing themselves up with grenades. Instead of the Miracle, Amazing Thailand slogans they could use Fithy, flooded dangerous Thailand that will get the tourists flocking and maybe a 60% increase next year.

• Like 2

Nisa, you were pushing the Chinese numbers, BUT they spend their money on a package all done and dusted at a travel agent. These are usually NOT individual tourists, they come in tours like ants. short trips only. example fly in, temple Bkk-tour to Pattaya hotel, 1 day to Koh Laan, 1 evening to tiffany's and Mike shopping, back to Bkk and airport.

This is money and good money for Thailand, clean money!!!!!

They do not go into 7-11---bigC---Tesco--have a bar girl or boy--eat at local food places--rent rooms--buy Thai partners houses and keep their families afloat--hire local people to do work--pay for gas bottles and electric bills, TIP rarely, Live here and spend their pensions, integrate with locals, help at temples and schools and town functions, throw water around at Song Khran, go with locals to the beach at Loy Khratung, use taxies, rent motor bikes, get on trains and city buses. and thousands of other things they do not do. They were not here 30 years ago putting money into resorts building up Thailand. All these things mentioned we as ex pats do. along with other westerners. now you tell me who keeps Thailand going locally, without US Thai would be poorer, Chinese money goes to government near direct and is creamed off to Big wig in corrupt practces and never reaches rural pockets (well in reality). My defence to your stats Nisa, Please do not tell me like earlier ex pats contribution is sort of small fry. Good luck Thailand--you can also survive without Chinese as you did in earlier years, that is not meant to be a racist comment.

I sure love to know where these guys get the data. Just because there are 30 increase in the number of tourist does not mean the tourism income also went up by 30%. More tourist but they spend a lot less because the world economic problems

I am in the business and I do not see any increase

It looks slow or almost Dead for many businesses when I ride around town.

Nisa, you were pushing the Chinese numbers, BUT they spend their money on a package all done and dusted at a travel agent. These are usually NOT individual tourists, they come in tours like ants. short trips only. example fly in, temple Bkk-tour to Pattaya hotel, 1 day to Koh Laan, 1 evening to tiffany's and Mike shopping, back to Bkk and airport.

They do not go into 7-11---bigC---Tesco--have a bar girl or boy--eat at local food places--rent rooms--buy Thai partners houses and keep their families afloat--hire local people to do work--pay for gas bottles and electric bills, TIP rarely, Live here and spend their pensions, integrate with locals, help at temples and schools and town functions, throw water around at Song Khran, go with locals to the beach at Loy Khratung, use taxies, rent motor bikes, get on trains and city buses. and thousands of other things they do not do. They were not here 30 years ago putting money into resorts building up Thailand. All these things mentioned we as ex pats do. along with other westerners. now you tell me who keeps Thailand going locally, without US Thai would be poorer, Chinese money goes to government near direct and is creamed off to Big wig in corrupt practces and never reaches rural pockets (well in reality). My defence to your stats Nisa, Please do not tell me like earlier ex pats contribution is sort of small fry. Good luck Thailand--you can also survive without Chinese as you did in earlier years, that is not meant to be a racist comment.

Good Post.

I sure love to know where these guys get the data. Just because there are 30 increase in the number of tourist does not mean the tourism income also went up by 30%. More tourist but they spend a lot less because the world economic problems

The tourists are spending less because they are from India, China, Korea and Russia, the big spenders, the Europeans and Australians have found an alternative to Thailand, after being ripped off, robbed, threatened or beaten.

Edited by blackthorn2005

Good Post.

Gin, you really should try using Google instead of applying your limited views towards entire groups.

According to the China Tourism Academy, China remained Asia's largest source of outbound tourists and their spending abroad this year is expected to climb to a staggering US$55 billion (1.6 trillion baht).

China has overtaken the US to become the world's second largest luxury consumption market ... "if you take into account the luxury goods that Chinese tourists buy overseas, total spending would be even larger. Chinese people have spent 25 percent more on luxury goods every year so far," ... "Chinese tourists at our department store last year made up about 10 percent. For our malls (like Central World) it should be a bit higher ..

Chinese tourists usually stay between five and six days in Thailand and theirper capita expenditure is at least 5,000 Thai Baht per day, so they are expected tobring a total income of 80 billion Thai Baht.

These are just a couple links but there are countless out there that explain why countries, not just Thailand, are so aggressively going after the Chinese market for tourism dollars ... bottom line is they do spend (more than the average tourist to Thailand) and do have disposable income.

Edited by Nisa

The average stay period for foreign tourists was 9.64 days with an average spending of 4,187 baht per day, an increase of 2.66 per cent.

Nisa. I really want this to be true, because it would be good for the country, but during the last 12 months most places I've stayed in on my travels around Thailand (Krabi, Samui, Koh Chang and Ayuthaya) hotel owners, staff have complained ./ commented that there are less visitors here and business is bad. Maybe they are playing the sympathy card hoping for a bigger tip - I don't know

But i do know that my ears are hearing this news but my eyes are telling me it's not true.

Interesting that whilst TAT says 2011 was a great year for tourism and the figures are wonderful, THAI says it made huge losses in 2011 due to it being a disatrous year for tourism.

What percent were visa runs ?????? cross border workers?????? I could go on about numerous other recorded entrants. manipulated figures again....... please tell us the truth Thailand.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The Truth?!? Which one you like to hear? whistling.gif

Do NOT expect any Truth from TAT! They live in a different Thailand than the rest of us... (maybe a parallel universe?)

The average stay period for foreign tourists was 9.64 days with an average spending of 4,187 baht per day, an increase of 2.66 per cent.

Nisa. I really want this to be true, because it would be good for the country, but during the last 12 months most places I've stayed in on my travels around Thailand (Krabi, Samui, Koh Chang and Ayuthaya) hotel owners, staff have complained ./ commented that there are less visitors here and business is bad. Maybe they are playing the sympathy card hoping for a bigger tip - I don't know

But i do know that my ears are hearing this news but my eyes are telling me it's not true.

Interesting that whilst TAT says 2011 was a great year for tourism and the figures are wonderful, THAI says it made huge losses in 2011 due to it being a disatrous year for tourism.

I thought Thai Air revenue was up 6% last year despite the bad 4th quarter but the reasons are too vast to cover as to why you can't base Thai Airways profits to number of International Tourists to Thailand.

Nisa, for gods sake these polls--stats-googles-internet. can sometimes use them as a guide, stats do NOT give the ins and outs of figures, they are figures fed in and you get out what is fed in. Are you sure the Chinese are giving the Hilton--or Samet 100 per cent occupancy ???. Look we all know what a power the Chinese are and numbers---WOW, I accept they are a force but like you I am not overcome or obsessed with them. Please read my post about what they do for the local economy.

It looks slow or almost Dead for many businesses when I ride around town.

Try going to tourist areas or go online and check out prices and availability at International Hotels in tourist areas. Take a look at the Hard Rock or Hilton in Pattaya for this Friday night and you'll find limited availability and rooms starting at 7,000 baht ... and we are already in the low season. Check Koh Samet and you won't find any mid-upper priced rooms available on the beach for this weekend ... people are now booking near a month in advance.

Didn't you realise Nisa that Fri Sat Sun=weekends ie busy w/e-packages. Holidays are always-or near-booked maybe 6 months in advance, why check on upper class accomodation??? are you class concious?? rooms are available by the thousands, even a condo -thousands are rented out next to nowt--because of the downturn in tourists. NOT Chinese as they do not go into condo's or guest houses, only 10 per cent of accomodation is large hotels, the rest are non Chinese venues.

I guess its easier to quote figures without taking into consideration the % attributed to inflation of prices. 4000+ is not the world for the European... its 100.00 Euros per day. That including hotel and food is a good deal. 30% INCREASE... has to be seen in the light of many factors... 10 days at 1000 for the week that seems like a bargain???? :)

What percent were visa runs ?????? cross border workers?????? I could go on about numerous other recorded entrants. manipulated figures again....... please tell us the truth Thailand.

Thanks for stealing the thunder on this. Furthermore, business meeting travel does not count as tourism, it is either business travel or MICE. They are not counted as tourists because they have to go where their branches, subsidiaries, customers, or conventions are. It is not an elective travel process like tourism because it is paid for by the company involved that dictates the travel itinerary.

So, if you back out the 15.82% (3MM) business travelers the total drops to 16.2MM, but wait...in the tradition of the famous Ginzou Knives, there's more.

If the average stay is 9.64 days (the number a pro would reference would be room nights not days), and every tourist arriving at Swampy is an automatic 30 day stay, plus, all the expats would either be 60 day or 1 year stays, what is dragging the stay data so far down? This does not speak so highly to the appeal of the country if people are spending significant sums to get here but staying such a limited time. One possibility is that the business travel numbers are much higher than reported, knowing that these travelers should not be included in international tourism counts.

Suppose she is correct about the amount of revenues spent in the country. Where is the accounting for the distribution of those revenues? And where are the tax records to substantiate the revenues because that seems like the only way to confirm tourism expenditures. Why has it taken 5 months to report this data? Unless they are using a stick in the dirt to tally up the figures, it is a matter of clicking on the app or spreadsheet that contains the data and there it is. Five months?

63.7% (12.2MM) were returning to Thailand. You know this has to include guys with wives/families here and who work offshore or seasonally abroad, or are here on multi-enry retirement visas. And these guys are hardly spending 4,187 baht per day because they live at home or in an apartment or condo. Certainly, they are not tourists.

Web sites are scrutinized by unique visitor traffic numbers as the primary indicator, as well as repeat visitors as a separate metric. When you look at 6.9MM first time visitors you have the number by which you evaluate TAT effectiveness in generating inbound arrivals and this is hardly an impressive number.

I cross checked some of the Official tourist figures that other countries reported and they are the same or very close to the TAT figures. On the revenue generated I couldn't find any figures to substantiate the TAT figures, but their average of B4000/day doen't seem out of line. .

Yesterday I made bookings and many of the 4 star hotels in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai was either fully booked or had limited rooms available in Desember. If the Asians visit Thailand in larger numbers and the Western visitor figures drops due to economic problems, one can expect that places like Phuket and Pattaya would have less business and Chiang Mai and BKK would benefit. Asian people tend to shy away from beaches and the sun. They also tend to travel in tour groups and stay in 4 and 5 star hotels. The next decade maybe the one in which Thailand can move away from a backpacker destination to an affordable middle income destination.