Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

Actually what I asked about was not whats possible or the cost of a big mack verses wages which was a valid point, but if people chose to spend more or less or about the same based on their personal preferences, where they came from and went to, ect. thats why I asked if it was cheeper for "you" ..... not is thailand cheep in general

Hostile17 ...... I am a little suprised more people do not mention the factors you did about housing and general living conditions of a pretty caotic country. I defentily take that into account and it's not a plus by any means. What I don't like is constantly having to drive by or through the dirty messy streets , I went yachting once and a half a mile off the coast we went swimming .... with the flotaing garbage ..... yachting and garbage don't go together ! So if your point is is not a cheeper version of the South of France I would most defenitly agree. I tried to steer clear of that because I didn't want to look hostile ! lol

And it doesn't matter where you go from one end to the other from side to side the dirty run down scenery is everywhere and just outside the resort or nice gated place you might live. The smoldering fires in the dry season, burning rice fields , neighbors blasting music way to loud at the yearly parties .... yup it all adds up a little at a time

In canada, a ghetto will almost look as good as a millionaire's estate from outside.

In thailand, a millionaire's estate will look like the city dump from outside.

In my own opinion, the cheap concrete streets and borders themselves are uglier than a fat man wearing a singha beater with half his belly showing. Add to that the uneveness, the trash, the extra trash, the trash's trash clothes with more trash and soi dog poop. Basically a millionaire's estate needs to have a bunch of burmese wiping down the street 12hrs a day and its still dirty very often while in canada its clean and fresh smelling at any hour of the day. Ive sincerly only seen 20~ plastic bags in my life there, and usualy in the winter stuck on a tree.

Thailand is what it is.

Its a haven for fat men with no personality or a cheap way to experience a tropical lifestyle. But its not a cheaper way to live a normal life. And its obviously an amazing place to go on short vacations where you only see the tourist stuff. Which is why so many rich people only hang around 6-8months, longer and you'll start living a normal at home life and notice all the horrible things.

have you heard of a decent looking, healthy fit, decently wealthy man with a good personality living full time in thailand for more than 10 years? Yes but not as many as social misfits and people on the lower end of the genetic luck spectrum.

So after 6-8 months you'd blown a bit and realised you were in a horrible situation and had to start living "normaly" , but that was ok because even though it was horrible it was also a haven for bores and dullards , decent , fit, healthy ones mind , and thus you stuck it out .

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually what I asked about was not whats possible or the cost of a big mack verses wages which was a valid point, but if people chose to spend more or less or about the same based on their personal preferences, where they came from and went to, ect. thats why I asked if it was cheeper for "you" ..... not is thailand cheep in general

Hostile17 ...... I am a little suprised more people do not mention the factors you did about housing and general living conditions of a pretty caotic country. I defentily take that into account and it's not a plus by any means. What I don't like is constantly having to drive by or through the dirty messy streets , I went yachting once and a half a mile off the coast we went swimming .... with the flotaing garbage ..... yachting and garbage don't go together ! So if your point is is not a cheeper version of the South of France I would most defenitly agree. I tried to steer clear of that because I didn't want to look hostile ! lol

And it doesn't matter where you go from one end to the other from side to side the dirty run down scenery is everywhere and just outside the resort or nice gated place you might live. The smoldering fires in the dry season, burning rice fields , neighbors blasting music way to loud at the yearly parties .... yup it all adds up a little at a time

I absolutely follow you here. My point was merely to highlight that both the car, yacht, house and day by day living would be cheaper for some here than where they come from. However IMO quality of life cannot be bought by luxurious goods, quality of life or not is the environment and society around me. They who can afford to live in a super villa on the coastline of Phuket or a high end condo near Chaopraya in Bangkok are in the same rubble as everyone else as soon as they stumble out the door. So yes you’re right but anyway money a few foreigners spend can only change their own little box, but not the environment or society how much or little we spend. The Thai Government can with education of the masses, so let’s see in 2112.

I'm tired of subjective arguments so lets look at the numbers:

Thailand 17.59 38.44 27.35

Canada 38.35 76.56 83.16

USA 37.42 66.64 68.74

UK 37.85 77.72 94.07

These are country wide averages (rent, consumer goods, restaurant prices) compared to NYC as a baseline. If you try to live a more westernized life style prices will climb, but I don't know why someone would move half way around the world to have the same life they do at home.

There is also the issue of value, if you place a lot of value on something from home that you can't get in Thailand then obviously you won't think saving money is worth it.

Edited by akspace

Its a haven for fat men with no personality or a cheap way to experience a tropical lifestyle. But its not a cheaper way to live a normal life. And its obviously an amazing place to go on short vacations where you only see the tourist stuff. Which is why so many rich people only hang around 6-8months, longer and you'll start living a normal at home life and notice all the horrible things.

You've never lived here so how do you know?

I've lived here for years and it's great.

I would suggest (assuming you have ever been to Thailand) that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

As a tourist, it's a shitty place but it's a great place for those of limited means to live ($15,000-$30,000 a year)

I agree it's not a place for rich people, they would live somewhere like Mauritius.

How can anyone have got it so totally wrong about a country?

PS

I find it funny a Canadian talking about people with no personality.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I wouldn't say he is totally wrong at all, he just has a different opinion of things than most others. I suspect his tolerance for the drawbacks is just a lot lower than most of the people that find him so wrong. As he stated the general poor quality of the enviornment he sees, takes away any savings that might be acheived rendering it a net loss not a net plus ...... Not right or wrong just his opinion and lifestyle

I have lived here for years as well and "great" would be a huge exaguration for me as compared to back home, all things considered. But like him the general downtrodden nature of the enviornment is why, not the costs in terms of expences.

Once again it just depends on what you enjoy and what you don't , how much you are willing to compromise on certian things and if the savings are worth it to you or not.

• Like 1

Yeah it's a little like saying lets leave out the fact that Thailand has no yearly property tax when looking at housing costs.

no property taxes but you can offset those cost with the nonstop renovations/the next door nuisance/the lack of drinking water/cockroaches and other insects/rabid dog in the street screaming all night/roosters in the middle of bangkok etc etc etc.

Costs a lot of money per year to renovate, get drinking water, blocking noise from coming in, exterminators and payments to soi dog organisation for them to come pickup the animals in your street. Tons of other costs im f orgetting that are obligatory in thailand and not in the west.

Also

break in -> Pay the police -> get nothing

in the west

break in -> police theres in 5mins top -> get your stuff back most of the time.

When you say 'the West" you are obviously not referring to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree...thailand is expensive....

If you want Good quality stuff..it's so expensive in thailand..look at a car for example....Australia average wage is 50 K per year and you can buy a car for about 20-35 K (like Yaris or Corolla)

Here in Thailand....average wage for thais is 20000 baht per month (240000 baht a year) and a car cost the same as AUS......I don't know how the Thais could pay off a car with this salary..???

I suspect those who are suggesting Thailand is more expensive than their home country are not comparing apples with apples. Although the places where expats tend to live in Thailand (e.g. Bangkok or Phuket) may be comparable cost wise to a random sleepy town in the middle of nowhere in Europe or America, I can assure you that they are cheaper than the equivalent places back home (e.g. London or Nice). On the same note, I am sure the costs of living in rural Thailand (e.g. Amnat Charoen) are lower than the equivalent places back home (e.g. Southport).

I can have an amazing large 2-3bedroom apartment downtown Montreal for anywhere between 25 to 45k baht(even right next to 5mil $ condos and those apartment would have hardwood floors). I could also rent a full on top quality house with a massive yard 15-20mins by car from downtown(suburb) within walking distance from a top quality hospital, 2-3 schools a park 5times the size of lumpini with bike trails and those bike trails go in the small street to the house which has an 3-4 smaller kiddie parks with lots of small forests just nearby as well. That house would be 45-50k

In bangkok to get similar i would have to live at sukhumvit 101/bangna or worse. As for a house for that price i would only get a run down townhouse next to ekkemai which isnt all that bad but even if it was new it would still be rundown as are all the thai houses under 30mil baht. Cheap material and bad labour.

Also in montreal which is one of the most loved city in the world, my fresh food would be a lot cheaper if i cooked it myself. Better quality for a price cheaper than the horrible pork and beef they sell here. Just drive by costco once a month and stack up. Eating out? Khao pat on the street is equivalent to a steamed hotdog. Both are kind of bad for you but have all the major nutrition. There's the cheap meat, veggies(onions and salad+relish) and carbs from the bread. Some in their fantasy world think that khao pat and similar thai food is healthy but its not when it cost 30baht. It's filled with MSG, bacterias from badly washed cookware, dirty amounts of oil and dirty ingredient full of illegal pesticide, also white rice is way worst than anything else. Also montreal is home to many cheap delis, you can get 85-120 baht small meals at any superstore that are made fresh with GOOD ingredient everyday as the canadian country is moving towards everything 'Healthy' those small fresh meal at the fresh counter are way more nutritive than the 5calories you get from thai food mxied with 400 calories of rice put on top of it.

For partygoers, montreal costs the same price to party out except the girls will be free and if you cant get one theres a nice corner where they dont look that bad and they dont cost much more than i see old men paying in thailand anyways. Every kid from the usa and rest of canada visit montreal to party when they have a free week or more. It's one of the best affordable city to party.

When it comes to foodies montreal has the most restaurant per capita(bangkok does not have that many most that are not in hotels are just idiots with too much money opening a tasteless kitchen and bangkok on convienience and the lack of taste of many thais when it comes to food). Lots of choices for our friends with fine noses and palate. Lots of vineyards close by.

Is there an other angle you wish to hear about? The only thing more expensive here are cigs but then again everyone who smokes should be put on their own cancer island. House price were higher but now with bangkok and phuket's incredibly retarded prices its pretty much the same but at least you get a real investment and quality in montreal. a house in the suburb of montreal can get to downtown quite fast while a house in the suburb of bangkok will take forever to get to say central world even at 4am.

I say it all the time, major cities in thailand are a place for parttimers, whoremongers or somewhat crazy people who never fit with society back home. Which is definitely fine, everyone deserves a place but let's not kid ourselves that bangkok is cheaper. Bangkok definately is better than most other large cities in thailand but its still not that great when you really get down to making a list. Better live back home and visit it once a year for a month and do all the few things that you miss.

edit: forgot people love to talk about beer.

If you want to have friends over a good quality beer will cost you 30baht, in thailand that gets you chang or other local crap. A good microbrew will cost about 3$ to 10$ depending on size and quality.. thats 100-300baht.. the price of a corona in thailand. Snacks at corner stores(7/11) are also MUCH cheaper in montreal

Where is Montreal?

north east of khon kaen

Edited by tinfoilhat

LOL, typical Expat that has a job but won't share any details because he is afraid of the competition. hahahaha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

No problem sharing information it's easy.

Go to university for 4 years and obtain a degree in an engineering discipline and then go out and get some practical experience in the real world.

Apply for jobs overseas and build up a career with a reputation for professionalism in the industry working for moderately sized companies, or the big boys if you can get in.

Come to Thailand and target expat companies that could use your expertise.

DON'T come to Thailand for the cheap pussy and beer with no skills or experience and think you will get a well paid job.

Very good point! I completely agree with you and believe me when I say I definitely don't fit your description in regards to beer and bars LOL... After 8 years of University training I'm pretty sure I'm not your average tourist smile.png

Ha Ha Ha I spent 7 years at university to get a 4 year degree!!! Good times though.

If you want Good quality stuff..it's so expensive in thailand..look at a car for example....Australia average wage is 50 K per year and you can buy a car for about 20-35 K (like Yaris or Corolla)

Here in Thailand....average wage for thais is 20000 baht per month (240000 baht a year) and a car cost the same as AUS......I don't know how the Thais could pay off a car with this salary..???

And you think the average wage for Thais is 20,000 baht per month? New here?

Now there is an interesting debate! Have you seen the price of second hand cars for sale in Australia. Electricity prices, grog, homes for sale or rent...? we wont even talk about air fares!

I do understand why the Australian pensioner leaves for foreign shores... a wonderful country but it comes at a price.

• Like 1

Average for a college graduate in Bangkok maybe.

The truly average Thai only dreams of being able to purchase a 4-wheeled vehicle within their lifetime.

Those below the average aren't sure if they're going to make it eating every day between now and end of the month. How many Aussies are living on under B400 a month?

And even when I lived in Australia, I didn't consider having a car to be a necessity of life. In a hundred years I think people will look back and think modern western culture was completely off its rocker about private internal-combustion-powered vehicles making sense.

In a hundred years I think people will look back and think modern western culture was completely off its rocker about private internal-combustion-powered vehicles making sense.

I agree. I'm not sure how much longer the West will be able to take such luxuries for granted. sad.png

I agree. I'm not sure how much longer the West will be able to take such luxuries for granted. sad.png

IMO should never have designed our communities around them, will be a bitch to re-configure everything to be sustainable long-term.

IMO should never have designed our communities around them, will be a bitch to re-configure everything to be sustainable long-term.

I've got shares plus one on order.......for a banana-skin-fuelled hovercraft......who needs 4 wheels and an internal combustion thingumijig thumbsup.gif

Cambodia is even cheaper.

I hear Kazakhstan and Mongolia are even cheaper, but what are you looking for out of life? It needs to be affordable and enjoyable, and Thailand ranks pretty well on both fronts. Buy your beer at Big C instead of the farang bar, eat good Thai food at local markets instead of in restaurants, ride a Click instead of a Harley, live 20 minutes out of town, it all becomes much cheaper that way but just as enjoyable. How many of you really came here to die from overdosing on KFC and crappy German beer?
  • Like 1

I hear Kazakhstan and Mongolia are even cheaper, but what are you looking for out of life? It needs to be affordable and enjoyable, and Thailand ranks pretty well on both fronts. Buy your beer at Big C instead of the farang bar, eat good Thai food at local markets instead of in restaurants, ride a Click instead of a Harley, live 20 minutes out of town, it all becomes much cheaper that way but just as enjoyable. How many of you really came here to die from overdosing on KFC and crappy German beer?

In Kaz and Mongolia the women are ugly, and the decent looking ones in Kaz, the average OAP in Thailand couldnt afford.

The reason the vast majority of male farangs are in Thailand is becasue of the availiblity of cheap sex...that is what they are looking for out of life..

Before I retired here, I lived in S. California. My rent was $1,200 a month for a shoe box sized apartment. I don't pay any rent here but that luxury cost several million baht to set up. At this point, I live on less than what my US rent cost. Maybe I should point out that we have two motorbikes and two cars. I live as it suits me and scrimp on nothing. Of course I could live in a mansion and drive a Benz but my lifestyle suits me just fine. With my US Social Security and my small US private pension, I enjoy a very healthy surplus. I have not needed to tap into my retirement fund. I could afford to live in the US but I like it here and intend to live out my days right here. Do I take holidays? I don't really like to travel but do go down to Jomtien a few time a year to visit my old friends. I stay in my condo when there so it cost very little. At this point I choose not to rent out the condo. I don't need the hassle.

Farmer with slim young wife in Thailand Vs single unemployed guy living in bedsit in UK

Not much to think about for me really.

Though I agree, the traditional capitalist consumer from the west might not find Thailand to their taste.

(especially if they don't want slim younger women)

You're telling us you travelled all this way just because you couldn't get laid back in the U.K? Really?

I've spent a lot of time in the U.K. Picking up women there is like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for the "younger" thing. I'm 29. Back in the U.S I had a 23 year old girlfriend. Felt like I was babysitting half the time. Don't know why all you old fellas like the young girls so much. What could you possible talk about with a girl a generation younger than yourself?

I prefer women around my own age who have a good education and some intelligence.

There are many women like that in Thailand. But they are not the type to want to live on a farm out in the sticks.

Don't know why all you old fellas like the young girls so much. What could you possible talk about with a girl a generation younger than yourself?

I normally fall a sleep after sex and don't feel much like talking.

You're telling us you travelled all this way just because you couldn't get laid back in the U.K? Really?

I've spent a lot of time in the U.K. Picking up women there is like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for the "younger" thing. I'm 29. Back in the U.S I had a 23 year old girlfriend. Felt like I was babysitting half the time. Don't know why all you old fellas like the young girls so much. What could you possible talk about with a girl a generation younger than yourself?

1) No, I didn't tell you that, it was the farm that sealed the deal.

2) I never fancied being a whaler.

3) I'm 57, back in the UK I had a 23 year old girlfriend too.

4) I'm guessing you have never had sex with a 60 year old women, give it a go, then reply back.

I agree about the 23 year old babysitting line, I felt that too. Mid 30s is much better.

I've actually sampled women from 23-60 in my last year in the UK, for talking and good company, the 60 year old beat the rest of the field hands down (but ruined everything by constantly trying to shag me), but for sex it was always back home to the 23 year old.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

My life style far exceeds that what I had in the UK with less money. the weather is much much better and I feel safe at night and on top of all that I feel much better within myself health wise so my answer is YES Thailand is cheaper then where I lived before which was the UK

My life style far exceeds that what I had in the UK with less money. the weather is much much better and I feel safe at night and on top of all that I feel much better within myself health wise so my answer is YES Thailand is cheaper then where I lived before which was the UK

anywhere in Thailand must be step up from Birkenhead...tongue.png ....but can you put cars on bricks as quick in Thailand ?whistling.gif

isn't it more fun to die drinking German beer than the diluted horse piss they call "ale" on that remote island located in the North Sea?whistling.gif

• Like 1