Crash Helmets On Side Cars ?

I have noticed now for a few weeks that many motorcycle and side car riders Farang and Thai are now wearing crash helmets.

The reason I'm commenting here is that I have an old motorcycle and side car that I use from time to time, I have never worn a crash helmet while riding it either on sukhumvit road or in central Pattaya and have never had a problem with the boys in brown.

Now I can not see some of these very poor Thai people going out and buying a shiny new crash helmet without there being a good reason for it, I am now wondering if the law has always been that a helmet was required but police turned a blind eye to it but now have decided its another good way of topping up police funds ?

My understanding is that a motorbike's rider and passengers require helmets whether the bike has a side car or not and wherever passengers are sitting. Whether that is enforced as normal motorbikes is uncertain.

If you are serious in asking. Legally you need a helmet for driver and side car passenger (legally there should not be a family of 9 also riding as passengers).

"Legally" the sidecar also needs to be registered. Very few of those on the road in and around Pattaya are, and none are licenced to carry more than two (including the driver of the motorbike).

Maybe they are just beginning to understand that a helmet will help save their lives in case of an accident.

It may save their life. That's if they understand that the helmett has to stay on their head and not be bouncing 100m down the road from where their head is hitting the road.

As another poster said most side cars are illegal. There is only on type approved sidecar in Thailand, don't know the brand and have never seen it as all looks home made.

Even if approved you are not allowed to carry any passengers in the side car, only one passenger on the bike seat.

The helmet law, as far as I know, only applies to 2 weel motorised vehicles.

IF.....just IF a side car is considered as a "3-wheel-vehicle", no crash helmets are needed.

The government is thinking about a change in traffic-law.

On the other hand, as earlier posted, most side-cars are illegal.

Edited by saengsureeya

I have a Tiger Retro w. sidecar that is legal, the sidecar is in the green book (its for sale by the way).

My wife got stopped once in Naklua on it and the police man told her that she must be wearing a helmet, he gave her a warning and let her on her way.

They are sometimes enforcing the law on this and sometimes not, and the same with after market bolted on sidecars, if they want they can fine you for an illegal mounted sidecar. The insurance will not cover if the shit hits the fan with an illegal sidecar.

I guess that a bike w. sidecar selling noddles will be left alone, those people are just trying to make a living and can be seen all over Thailand.

IF.....just IF a side car is considered as a "3-wheel-vehicle", no crash helmets are needed.

The government is thinking about a change in traffic-law.

On the other hand, as earlier posted, most side-cars are illegal.

They're not. A "3-wheel-vehicle" is a vehicle like a tuk-tuk, which is registered as a 3 wheel vehicle; sidecars (assuming they are legal and registered at all) are registered as modifications to motorbikes.

As another poster said most side cars are illegal. There is only on type approved sidecar in Thailand, don't know the brand and have never seen it as all looks home made.

Even if approved you are not allowed to carry any passengers in the side car, only one passenger on the bike seat.

The helmet law, as far as I know, only applies to 2 weel motorised vehicles.

This is really one for the Motorbike Forum as this has been discussed there at some length, with copies of the relevant part of the green book, and some of the information here is incorrect. There are actually a number of type approved sidecars in Thailand, some made by Tiger as guzzi850m2 pointed out. Most are for commercial use and some, such as the Tiger Retro w/sidecar (if sold and initially registered as a sidecar combination) can legally carry a passenger as I stated.

Although the Retro w/sidecar (and a few others) are registered as having "3 axles" and "3 wheels" (but only "2 seats") they are still classified as modified motorbikes, not 3 wheel vehicles, so the helmet law still applies.