Which Air Con Brand?

bwillis

Anyone have any recommendations on the better AC brands for the usual split types? Mainly looking for most dependable/quiet units. Will put 5 in a 270 sm two story house. Wondered if Mitsubishi is better than Carrier, etc. or any to avoid. Don't need the fancy new ones with the special filters - just solid dependable units.

The house seems relatively cool whenever we inspect it (90% finished) - north facing. I also plan to put ceiling fans in all the rooms.

Thanks

Anyone have any recommendations on the better AC brands for the usual split types? Mainly looking for most dependable/quiet units. Will put 5 in a 270 sm two story house. Wondered if Mitsubishi is better than Carrier, etc. or any to avoid. Don't need the fancy new ones with the special filters - just solid dependable units.

The house seems relatively cool whenever we inspect it (90% finished) - north facing. I also plan to put ceiling fans in all the rooms.

Thanks

Both Mitzu and Carrier have different qualities. Both "A" and "B" I was very happy with my Mitzu in my last place. In our new house with put Daikin in. A bit more expensive than Mitzu or Carrier but worth it. Quiet, steady temperature and efficient

I am a very light sleeper so i spent a lot of time looking at the noise output of all the major manufacturers and found that Saijo Denki make the quietest.

This finding is backed up by he decibel claim on their promotional materials of 23db.

Saijo Denki are also designed and manufactured in Thailand, they are amongst the lowest priced too.

Had mine 9 months no problems, very happy.

Mitsubishi is the best home air-con in Thailand. :o

Fully agree. Ask anyone. Best compressors, best performance, lowest power consumption. 20 dezibel according to datasheet.

Basically all japanese brands made in thailand are very reliable if they have Mitsubishi compressors which is a standard.

Carrier ?? quality ??

Fully agree. Ask anyone. Best compressors, best performance, lowest power consumption. 20 dezibel according to datasheet.

Basically all japanese brands made in thailand are very reliable if they have Mitsubishi compressors which is a standard.

Carrier ?? quality ??

Basically I see folks are putting a lot of single room units in a home. What about central air con. I kinda want to put a heat pump in the home we'll build in a few years.

I think I'd like a heat pump so as to provide a little warmth on the occasional Chiang Mai cool night.

What about central air con.

Thai construction methods dont lend themselves well to central air con....unless you install at the point of construction. There are way too many concrete beams used for it to be an easy job.

Electricity is set to rise in price by at least 7% this year as Gas subsidies are pulled by Toxin, more likey 10%.

Smart thinkers are focusing on energy efficiency and better insulation rather than just more and more air conditioning.

Cooling small well insulated areas quickly as they are being occupied is the way to go.

Double glazing, airated block, foam spray insulated roofing and draught excluders are the new essentials.

Also when choosing a home make sure areas that face west are not master bedrooms or living areas.

Carrier ?? quality ??

Basically I see folks are putting a lot of single room units in a home. What about central air con. I kinda want to put a heat pump in the home we'll build in a few years.

I think I'd like a heat pump so as to provide a little warmth on the occasional Chiang Mai cool night.

Besides the construction factors heat pumps are crap IMHO. The last thing you want is air movement when it is freezing cold but that is exactly what they provide. So you will spend a fortune trying to get the chill factor up to a livable level. I have used them in South Florida and bought a quartz space heater. A space heater is much more effective.

We use toshiba and Carrier in our camps in the desert and Toshiba is far better than the Carrier mind you they take alot of abuse out here dirt, very hot and get bounced around, The Carriers always seem to have compresser problems

Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful. A couple of contractors also thought Mitsu was a solid cholice - as with water pumps (underground tank).

Luckily, the roof is insulated with the good reflective stuff and well-vented on ends and under the eves.

Reminder on windows appropriate, since this place put in rather shabby glass. Will most likely replace some windows as well as add easy-to-install rubber window/door sealing.

Perhaps also put fiberglass insulation above MBR ceiling...unless that actually TRAPS the heat too much.

What about central air con.

Thai construction methods dont lend themselves well to central air con....unless you install at the point of construction. There are way too many concrete beams used for it to be an easy job.

Electricity is set to rise in price by at least 7% this year as Gas subsidies are pulled by Toxin, more likey 10%.

Smart thinkers are focusing on energy efficiency and better insulation rather than just more and more air conditioning.

Cooling small well insulated areas quickly as they are being occupied is the way to go.

Double glazing, airated block, foam spray insulated roofing and draught excluders are the new essentials.

Also when choosing a home make sure areas that face west are not master bedrooms or living areas.

Thank you for reply, I agree energy efficency will be of prime concern when building. What about partial earth berming to lower floor to take advantage of the cooling effects of earth? Seemed to be quite popular here in the 70's Also I notice in strip shopping centers built around here they utilize I beam, which alllow the interior to be entirely open or very easy to change room dimensions if desired. Would it be practical or financially to expensive for the installation in comparision to typical Thai construction. Somewhere I've a box or two of old MOther Earth News mags from the seventies I guess I'd better find and dust off, for ideas.

Have just AirConned a new house, asked many people what they thought, without a doubt Mitsu compressors come out the # 1, though some reckoned you should buy Mitsu Compressor with a different air handler as "some" (cant remeber name?) were better than Mitsu - seemed like too much hassle so went with Mitsu.

Cheers

Quite frankly the first unit I bought was a no name thing that I used for three years with NO problems. The next one was another no name for my condo and it is more than three years old and has had no problem either. The last one was a Samsung because it was rated the most efficient. It is less than a year old and it works fine.

Quite frankly the first unit I bought was a no name thing that I used for three years with NO problems. The next one was another no name for my condo and it is more than three years old and has had no problem either. The last one was a Samsung because it was rated the most efficient. It is less than a year old and it works fine.

Good point, the "majority" of the equipment on the market is perfectly servicable, for rooms where air con is barely used I put about the cheapest on the market in, with no problems, rooms where it is in constant use "good" ones are installed - gives me peace of mind, possibly cheaper would do just as well?

Cheers