Need Advice On Retirement Visa

I am trying to apply for O-A visa from China and one of the requirement is financial proof and letter from the bank.

I have opened an account in Chiang Rai and will transfer the required fund but how can I provide the proof and letter from the bank while I am still in China?

An O-A Visa is applied for in your own country using your bank account in your own country.

Why not enter Thailand with a a Non Imm O Visa or even a Tourist Visa and apply at Thai Immigration.

You can then use your Thai bank account.

Unless you are a resident of China you would not qualify for O-A visa issue there. As said it is much easier to just do the process in Thailand from a single entry non immigrant O visa entry and if that is not available you can enter on visa exempt or tourist visa and convert inside Thailand and then extend (but you might have to visit Bangkok for the conversion at some locations).

If you meet the requirements for a retirement extension, you can convert a 30 day visa exempt entry to a non-o and the extend the non-o for retirement.

Why an O-A and the hurdles you have to jump through.

Come to Thailand and do an "extension based on retirement" here, less paperwork and much easier.

Can I convert for retirement visa from arrival 30 day visa?

Yes, you can.

But without a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival the airline might not let you board. In Asia itself this is not that often checked, but to be sure you could try and get a non-O visa in China or a tourist visa, just to be on the safe side.

If you meet the requirements for a retirement extension, you can convert a 30 day visa exempt entry to a non-o and the extend the non-o for retirement.

Thanks for the info. I just returned from CR after a month stay. I planned to move there in July.

I received an email from visa service. They offered door to door service for retirement extension for one year for fee of 25,000 baht without any funds in the bank. How reliable is this type of service? I planned to transfer all my funds from China but it may take some time since China tightly controls outbound funds and one year would give me enough window to process them.

Why an O-A and the hurdles you have to jump through.

Come to Thailand and do an "extension based on retirement" here, less paperwork and much easier.

Can I convert for retirement visa from arrival 30 day visa?

Yes, you can.

But without a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival the airline might not let you board. In Asia itself this is not that often checked, but to be sure you could try and get a non-O visa in China or a tourist visa, just to be on the safe side.

I was thinking the same thing. I want to apply for non-o but don't they require a sponsor from Thailand (letter of invitation) ?

I was thinking the same thing. I want to apply for non-o but don't they require a sponsor from Thailand (letter of invitation) ?

Many people just fill in "self" as sponsor without any problems. (Although I don't know about the particulairs from China).

25000 baht is a little steep and I don't know how they get the financial requirements. The conversion from visa exempt to Non-O is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht. You might have to go to Bangkok to do the conversion as not all offices will do it. If you use the bank deposit method the money, 800000 baht, must be in a Thai bank in your name and be seasoned for at least 60 days when you apply for the extension. Another method is to use the monthly income method where you get a letter from your embassy stating that you receive at lest 65000 baht per month from overseas, no money in bank required.

The total cost is 3900 baht plus all of the running around that you will have to do, but nowhere near 25000 baht! If you're wooried about an onward ticket you can purchase a cheap ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days of arrival, say Hat Yai to KL, it doesn't have to be a return.

Edited by wayned

25000 baht is a little steep and I don't know how they get the financial requirements. The conversion from visa exempt to Non-O is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht. You might have to go to Bangkok to do the conversion as not all offices will do it. If you use the bank deposit method the money, 800000 baht, must be in a Thai bank in your name and be seasoned for at least 60 days when you apply for the extension. Another method is to use the monthly income method where you get a letter from your embassy stating that you receive at lest 65000 baht per month from overseas, no money in bank required.

The total cost is 3900 baht plus all of the running around that you will have to do, but nowhere near 25000 baht! If you're wooried about an onward ticket you can purchase a cheap ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days of arrival, say Hat Yai to KL, it doesn't have to be a return.

Do you know if Chiang mai office or Mae Sai Imm will do this? Does anyone?

Edited by mikekim1219

In order to do the conversion from a 30 day visa exempt entry the money has to be in the bank already but not for 90 days.

I think your best option is to get a single entry non-o based upon being over 50. This would would save an extra trip or two to immigration.

If you haven't contact the embassy or one of the consulates in China that is closest to where you are living you should do so to find out what they require for you to get the visa.

Contact info for consulates are on this page of embassy website http://www.thaiembbeij.org/thaiembbeij/th/thai-service/visa/index.

In order to do the conversion from a 30 day visa exempt entry the money has to be in the bank already but not for 90 days.

I think your best option is to get a single entry non-o based upon being over 50. This would would save an extra trip or two to immigration.

If you haven't contact the embassy or one of the consulates in China that is closest to where you are living you should do so to find out what they require for you to get the visa.

Contact info for consulates are on this page of embassy website http://www.thaiembbe...ice/visa/index.

Nearest Thai consulate from me is 5 hour drive. Also the process take 3 to 4 weeks. The problem is nobody answers the phone so you don't know when the visa is ready. You need to knock on the door everyday to check. They have notoriously terrible service. My viable option is to convert 30 day visa to retirement visa. I am 54 with USA passport. Fund is not a problem but transferring it to Thailand from China is bit tricky. One option I am pondering is using ATM. What I would like to have is window of one year in Thailand while I figure out the best way to transfer the fund and apply for retiree visa. I am sure somebody is wondering why all my assets are in China. I came to China with nothing andI have been fortunate enough to amass small fortune and now ready to leave. If anybody have sound advice, please feel free to share ..

Contact info for consulates are on this page of embassy website http://www.thaiembbe...ice/visa/index.

Nearest Thai consulate from me is 5 hour drive. Also the process take 3 to 4 weeks. The problem is nobody answers the phone so you don't know when the visa is ready. You need to knock on the door everyday to check. They have notoriously terrible service. My viable option is to convert 30 day visa to retirement visa. I am 54 with USA passport. Fund is not a problem but transferring it to Thailand from China is bit tricky. One option I am pondering is using ATM. What I would like to have is window of one year in Thailand while I figure out the best way to transfer the fund and apply for retiree visa. I am sure somebody is wondering why all my assets are in China. I came to China with nothing andI have been fortunate enough to amass small fortune and now ready to leave. If anybody have sound advice, please feel free to share ..

Sorry I was not aware that it was that difficult to get the visa. In your case then a 30 day entry conversion certainly may very well be the best.

You can also do an income affidavit at the US embassy in Bangkok to prove income for the conversion. Here is link to affidavit http://bangkok.usemb...e_affidavit.pdf. Have a look at it and make your decision as to whether you can honestly swear that you have the income ability. When it comes time to do the actual extension if you use the affidavit for conversion you may (it depends upon which immigration office you use) need to show that you have been bringing the money in but most immigration offices will accept ATM receipts as proof.

Edited by ubonjoe

Sorry I was not aware that it was that difficult to get the visa. In your case then a 30 day entry conversion certainly may very well be the best.

You can also do an income affidavit at the US embassy in Bangkok to prove income for the conversion. Here is link to affidavit http://bangkok.usemb...e_affidavit.pdf. Have a look at it and make your decision as to whether you can honestly swear that you have the income ability. When it comes time to do the actual extension if you use the affidavit for conversion you may (it depends upon which immigration office you use) need to show that you have been bringing the money in but most immigration offices will accept ATM receipts as proof.

Thanks for the info, Joe,

Does this mean that income affidavit is not enough for thai immigration? I still need to show them proof of income (ATM receipt)?

So here is my course of action. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Arrive BKK on 30 day visa

- Withdraw 64, 000 baht from ATM (4 separate receipt due to daily limit)

- Obtain income affidavit from USA embassy

- Apply for retirement extension (non - O or O-A)

- Transfer funds to Thailand

- Gather documents (medical, bank statement, letter from bank etc)

- Apply for extension after one year

Edited by mikekim1219

Thanks for the info, Joe,

Does this mean that income affidavit is not enough for thai immigration? I still need to show them proof of income (ATM receipt)?

So here is my course of action. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- Arrive BKK on 30 day visa

- Withdraw 64, 000 baht from ATM (4 separate receipt due to daily limit)

- Obtain income affidavit from USA embassy

- Apply for retirement extension (non - O or O-A)

- Transfer funds to Thailand

- Gather documents (medical, bank statement, letter from bank etc)

- Apply for extension after one year

You should not need to show the ATM slips to do the conversion from a visa exempt entry to a non-o visa and then be stamped showing a 90 day permit to stay. After doing the conversion you will have time to get slips or deposits made before doing the extension of the permit to stay (it is not a visa of any type) you got when you did the conversion.

When you do the actual extension is when you may need to show either some money in the bank or the ATM slips. Only a few offices want to see either ATM slips or bank book showing some money coming but not the full 65K monthly amount. If you stay with the proof of income verses money in the bank then moving a full years of income would be well more than enough. You will not need the bank letter unless you do the money in the bank option.

No medical is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just ask a stupid question about a "Retirement O-A visa".

Why would anyone bother getting one ?

Surely, a Non-Imm 'O' from which you acquire an extension is equally or even more effective. For the UK I checked on the Hull website and they said that you had to get the Non-Imm 'O' and then convert to O-A in Thailand ???

Hull is misinformed (they can not issue an O-A visa and it is not available in Thailand).

The O-A allows you to obtain a one year permitted to stay on entry with no requirement to transfer funds into Thailand - if multi entry up to two years stay can be obtained before any extension of stay from immigration inside Thailand is required. For those that travel the multi entry requires no re-entry permits for first year so very easy to use for those with part time retirement stays who return to the home country and obtain a new O-A visa.

• Like 2

Thank you everybody for your help with information. I will be shipping my essentials next week and will depart for CR couple of days later.

I finally gave up trying to attain Non-O or Non OA. Even trying to attain 60 day tourist is a problem. I have work and resident permit in China but they asked for return flight ticket for 60 day tourist. They will not provide Non-O since I have no relative in Thailand. They will provide me Non-OA but I would have to fly to Thailand and return with Thailand bank statement with 800,000 bath, bank letter and medical exam.

It seems my best option is enter Thailand on 30 day exempt and apply for Non-O.

Question:

- How long does it take to convert 30 to Non-O.

- Since I have no relative, how is it possible to apply for Non-O?

- How long is Non-O, 90 days or one year (with 90 day visa run during the year). If one year, I may hold off on applying for Non- OA until later because there is chance I may get married within a year.

- How difficult is the converting process? I have been asking around the Visa agents and the fee is anywhere from 30,000 to 45,000 baht depending on how fast I want Non- OA. If the process is not so complicated, I would like to do it on my own.

Thanks again in advance for your all your input

You cannot obtain a Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand.

Only in your country of residence.

You apply for a Non Imm O Visa based on exploring retirement.

Providing you are allowed on the flight you will receive a 30 day Visa Exempt Entry.

You then apply for an upgrade to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration providing you have the money in the bank or proof of salary required. (2,000 Baht fee) Takes an hour or two. You might have to do this in Bangkok.

60 days later you apply for a 12 Month Extension of stay for retirement (1,900 Baht fee) Takes an hour or two.

You do not need an expensive agent. It is really easy to do yourself. You do not need a medical or police report.

You cannot obtain a Non Imm O-A Visa in Thailand.

Only in your country of residence.

You apply for a Non Imm O Visa based on exploring retirement.

Providing you are allowed on the flight you will receive a 30 day Visa Exempt Entry.

You then apply for an upgrade to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration providing you have the money in the bank or proof of salary required. (2,000 Baht fee) Takes an hour or two. You might have to do this in Bangkok.

60 days later you apply for a 12 Month Extension of stay for retirement (1,900 Baht fee) Takes an hour or two.

You do not need an expensive agent. It is really easy to do yourself. You do not need a medical or police report.

Ok, got you. I understand that O-A is not provided in Thailand. The Thai lady I spoke to in Thai Embassy in China told me that it is easier to prepare documents in Thailand and return to China and gather rest of documents (could take forever) to apply for O-A. Tthis was my final option if there is no other way.

So here is my game plan. Please correct me if I am wrong

- Arrive on 30 visa

- transfer 800,000 to my account (this will take 20 days)

- After 20 days apply for Non-O (may have to do it in BKK) and take following documents

- Bank statement

- Letter from bank ( do I need this?)

- Passport

- Photos

- After 60 days, apply for 12 month retirement extension

- same documents as Non-O

Thanks

That first part transfer timing will not work. You must have at least 11 days remaining on current entry to make a conversion and if it takes 20 days to transfer funds you will not have that. But very easy to make a border crossing for a new 15 day stay and you could then do it. Or just get a tourist visa prior to leaving China (refundable return flight).

That first part transfer timing will not work. You must have at least 11 days remaining on current entry to make a conversion and if it takes 20 days to transfer funds you will not have that. But very easy to make a border crossing for a new 15 day stay and you could then do it. Or just get a tourist visa prior to leaving China (refundable return flight).

Border crossing sounds like a way to go. I need to fly all the way to Beijing (2.5 hour flight) and wait 4 days for the tourist visa.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike