Thai Wife Underpaid In Uk

bigdave1960

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@soi41

You are the Thaivisa equivalent of this employer.

?Insofar as you don't actually know him personally, or the circumstances of his business?

SC

I'm not sure if we're allowed t comment on the following posting

@soi41

Possibly, but he's also being realistic.

There's one hell of a lot of unemployment in the UK at the moment, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if either she doesn't lose her job (once a suitable period of time has elapsed) or, the restaurant closes.

7by7 - If you seriously think that the majority of those living in the UK aren't seriously pissed off about immigrants, you're living in cloud cuckoo land!

I don't (generally) agree with the popular anti-immigrant stance, but can understand why the unemployed (and those on low wages) are not happy.

I posted very early in this thread about similar circumstances with my wife , as posted it was slightly different as she was happy to leave but did not want any action taken.

Some on here say it would be wrong to report this abuse due to causing the remaining staff problems.

Well I did report the owner of the restautant, he was fined, nobody else lost their jobs and as a result they were paid minimum wage and O/T. as far as i know it is still in business.

It's good that the OP decided to confront the owner and a good lesson for his wife. The UK is not Thailand and workers do not have to put up with regular abuses of employment law, as so often happens here.

• Like 2

@soi41

?Insofar as you don't actually know him personally, or the circumstances of his business?

SC

I'm not sure if we're allowed t comment on the following posting

In so far as he is trying to use all the manipulative justifications that this employer would use to entrap vulnerable people into working for him at half the going rate with zero benefits being accrued.

Yes you are allowed to reply to 7x7, he is replying as a member, not a moderator.

I totally agree with 7x7, I will add that too many people do not realize that the UK is very welcoming!! to immigrants, and the the British people are very welcoming!! to immigrants.

Contrary to opinion we have one of the most integrated societies in the world, and we have one of the most acute senses of fair play in the world.

The flashpoints occur when people refuse to integrate, refuse to learn the language, and start demanding that we change our culture to suit them. ( does that sound familiar to anyone on TV ).

The OP's wife is legally landed, she is entitled to all protection and assistance. End of story.....anything else is a step on the road to mass slavery and abuse in the country.

As the song goes " If we tolerate this, then our children will be next "

• Like 1

@soi41

Possibly, but he's also being realistic.

There's one hell of a lot of unemployment in the UK at the moment, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if either she doesn't lose her job (once a suitable period of time has elapsed) or, the restaurant closes.

7by7 - If you seriously think that the majority of those living in the UK aren't seriously pissed off about immigrants, you're living in cloud cuckoo land!

I don't (generally) agree with the popular anti-immigrant stance, but can understand why the unemployed (and those on low wages) are not happy.

I don't agree with his so called " realist " views........I can guarantee you that the OP's wife would find a legal job with 14 days maximum. In fact it wouldn't take as long as that.

There are too many people sitting in Thailand sniping about the UK, I live here, I know the reality today.

No, I am living in the UK; are you?

I will agree that many people in the UK are, as you put it, 'seriously pissed off about immigrants' and this includes many who are immigrants or the children of immigrants themselves.

However, it is not immigrants like the OPs wife that are seen as the problem; it is illegals and immigrants from Eastern Europe that are causing resentment.

The former have, of course, no choice but to work illegally for low pay and no rights; the latter the government can do nothing about due to EU treaties; but that's another story.

I will agree that many people in the UK are, as you put it, 'seriously pissed off about immigrants' and this includes many who are immigrants or the children of immigrants themselves.

However, it is not immigrants like the OPs wife that are seen as the problem; it is illegals and immigrants from Eastern Europe that are causing resentment.

The former have, of course, no choice but to work illegally for low pay and no rights; the latter the government can do nothing about due to EU treaties; but that's another story.

Well that's certainly a good PC explanation. In reality, anti-immigrant sentiments usually means anti- anyone who doesn't look English. It's the same in the USA.

I left the UK several years ago. But, was even then shocked at the anti 'foreigners in our country' attitudes of the people with whom I worked and, relative strangers who were more than happy to vent whilst walking our dogs together! I find it hard to believe that things have improved...

Yes, most of the hatred was directed at the illegals, but they didn't like ANY foreigner living there - generally of course as opposed to specifically (i.e. those they knew that they liked...).

Edit - Had to laugh at the "this includes many who are immigrants or the children of immigrants themselves" comment. My mother is Finnish, lived in England for 25 years (married to my English father), and used to complain about the "bloody foreigners" laugh.png !

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

soi41, you are obvioulsy taliking to the sort of English expat who only reads the Daily Mail <snip>

This is the 2nd reference to the Daily Mail that I have read recently.

The last read ... of you are soooooooo Daily Mail (paraphrased)

What does that sort of mean?

OH, 7by7, great to see you posting here.

I wish more of the Mod's would 'decloak' and post more.

Not just in the technicial Forums but in the 'Blood and Guts', sorry, a bit graphic ... the Rough and Tumble that the General and Pub Forums can be sometimes.

Want to know more about

Fish Farms or a simple Australian Visa Application ?

soi41, you are obvioulsy taliking to the sort of English expat who only reads the Daily Mail <snip>

This is the 2nd reference to the Daily Mail that I have read recently.

The last read ... of you are soooooooo Daily Mail (paraphrased)

What does that sort of mean?

OH, 7by7, great to see you posting here.

I wish more of the Mod's would 'decloak' and post more.

Not just in the technicial Forums but in the 'Blood and Guts', sorry, a bit graphic ... the Rough and Tumble that the General and Pub Forums can be sometimes.

Want to know more about

Fish Farms or a simple Australian Visa Application ?

The Daily Mail is a newspaper sold in the UK. Like most papers it has a particular political slant but having not read it for a few years I couldn't tell you what it's slant is, probably to the right I'd guess smile.png

@ David48,

It's British shorthand to describe someone with reactionary views and little or no free or liberal thought. Generally xenophobic in outlook.

Middle class equivalent of a Sun reader, for example.

At least, that's my take on it.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

@ David48,

It's British shorthand to describe someone with reactionary views and little or no free or liberal thought. Generally xenophobic in outlook.

Middle class equivalent of a Sun reader, for example.

At least, that's my take on it.

Digressing a little, while I was in Sid's the other evening, I read through the Telegraph that was on the bar- a Weekly Telegraph, I think; normally a paper whose editorial slant seems intent on discouraging British expats from returning to the UK, but this week it was particularly upbeat, with a lot of positive stories about the upcoming Queen's Jubilee celebrations

SC

Digressing a little, while I was in Sid's the other evening, I read through the Telegraph that was on the bar- a Weekly Telegraph, I think; normally a paper whose editorial slant seems intent on discouraging British expats from returning to the UK, but this week it was particularly upbeat, with a lot of positive stories about the upcoming Queen's Jubilee celebrations

SC

The Daily Telegraph is bought by people who want to blot-out fellow commuters on the London Underground. Good obituary page tho'...

Never read the Weekly Telegraph. Is it a Scottish language publication?

SC

The Daily Telegraph is bought by people who want to blot-out fellow commuters on the London Underground. Good obituary page tho'...

Never read the Weekly Telegraph. Is it a Scottish language publication?

Its an expat paper from the same people - like a summary version.

Because of the distribution costs, and the inappropriate parochial UK advertising, its quite expensive to buy foreign newspapers, so one would not want to be shelling out every day (as far as I know- I never bought a newspaper every day in the UK, either)

SC

As a Brit (who only recently left London) I would like to give my view on "immigrants" from a working / jobs perspective. From my experience, immigrants are very hard working and willing to move and re-train as necessary to find employment. These traits do not seem to be shared by many Brits who "can't find work". In fact, since becoming a small business owner, I have been shocked how few applications I receive for employment from British nationals, and my employees are all earning well in excess of the minimum wage.

I myself have always found it extremely easy to find work (even when I was a teenager with no qualifications, experience and frankly imperfect English language skills). I put this down to my ability to disconnect my backside from the sofa for prolonged periods of time. All the immigrants I know share this ability.

Of course, some immigrants are lazy, just like some English people, and some prefer to claim benefits than to work. I myself do not believe in such compulsory transfers of money from taxpayers to the unemployed (regardless of nationality).

Many people look backwards at the wealth we have accumulated as a nation and give their view on how we can most fairly share that wealth. As a young guy, I am more focused on the future and the future will be pretty bleak unless we get focused on productivity gains. My view is that immigrants are key to the productivity improvements we need to foster real economic growth (as is finding a solution to the invisible glue that compels many Brits to a life on the sofa).

As a Brit (who only recently left London) I would like to give my view on "immigrants" from a working / jobs perspective. From my experience, immigrants are very hard working and willing to move and re-train as necessary to find employment. These traits do not seem to be shared by many Brits who "can't find work". In fact, since becoming a small business owner, I have been shocked how few applications I receive for employment from British nationals, and my employees are all earning well in excess of the minimum wage.

I myself have always found it extremely easy to find work (even when I was a teenager with no qualifications, experience and frankly imperfect English language skills). I put this down to my ability to disconnect my backside from the sofa for prolonged periods of time. All the immigrants I know share this ability.

Of course, some immigrants are lazy, just like some English people, and some prefer to claim benefits than to work. I myself do not believe in such compulsory transfers of money from taxpayers to the unemployed (regardless of nationality).

Many people look backwards at the wealth we have accumulated as a nation and give their view on how we can most fairly share that wealth. As a young guy, I am more focused on the future and the future will be pretty bleak unless we get focused on productivity gains. My view is that immigrants are key to the productivity improvements we need to foster real economic growth (as is finding a solution to the invisible glue that compels many Brits to a life on the sofa).

I agree with every word Brit1984 wai.gif

You're probably having problems finding employees because (to quote from your post in the 'pensions' topic) - "As I explained in my previous post, the level of their income is a personal choice. We had a cleaner in London (who could barely speak English and had no qualifications) who was earning 40k per year, between various low-level jobs".

You're probably having problems finding employees because (to quote from your post in the 'pensions' topic) - "As I explained in my previous post, the level of their income is a personal choice. We had a cleaner in London (who could barely speak English and had no qualifications) who was earning 40k per year, between various low-level jobs".

Sorry, but it seems to me you're completely agreeing with, even reinforcing his point. Are you saying you think that cleaner should be making even more? Or . . . ?

Mate, you need to make your point by stating what jobs you're offering.

Is your company a cleaning agency? Do you run a Thai restaurant? Do you own a language school that teaches English to Polish immigrants?

See what I'm getting at?

Tell me you've set up an investment bank in Guernsey and I'll be surprised if you receive less applications from British nationals than from immigrants.

Is your company a cleaning agency? Do you run a Thai restaurant? Do you own a language school that teaches English to Polish immigrants?

See what I'm getting at?

Tell me you've set up an investment bank in Guernsey and I'll be surprised if you receive less applications from British nationals than from immigrants.

There lies the perennial problem, there are plenty of jobs but people think the job is beneath them or getting off their sofa for.

The thread is going to degenerate into a immigrant bashing, UK bashing, unemployed bashing, in fact bash everything to do with the UK.

The OP has his answer and is content, I suggest we close the thread.

See what I'm getting at?

I used to work in an investment bank and the vast majority of my colleagues at the junior level were non-Brits; likewise most of the applications we received for internship and analysts hires were non-Brits. When I moved to a hedge fund, I was the only Brit below Partner level, and of around 50 potential new recruits I interviewed, only 1 was British.

Subsequently as an entrepreneur, I have one company that provides career advice for prospective investment bankers; both the career coaches working for me are non-Brits (I never had an application from a Brit for these positions). Also, most of our customers are non-Brits.

My other major business venture is a combined spa, beauty and hair salon. Most applicants for the spa have been Thais; for the hair and beauty salon more than 90% of the applicants are non-British white Europeans.

Similarly, when we have advertised for domestic help (cleaning and nannying) we never received a single application for anyone British despite offering wages of 10 pounds per hour and 12 pounds per hour respectively.

See what I'm getting at?

I used to work in an investment bank and the vast majority of my colleagues at the junior level were non-Brits; likewise most of the applications we received for internship and analysts hires were non-Brits. When I moved to a hedge fund, I was the only Brit below Partner level, and of around 50 potential new recruits I interviewed, only 1 was British.

Subsequently as an entrepreneur, I have one company that provides career advice for prospective investment bankers; both the career coaches working for me are non-Brits (I never had an application from a Brit for these positions). Also, most of our customers are non-Brits.

My other major business venture is a combined spa, beauty and hair salon. Most applicants for the spa have been Thais; for the hair and beauty salon more than 90% of the applicants are non-British white Europeans.

Similarly, when we have advertised for domestic help (cleaning and nannying) we never received a single application for anyone British despite offering wages of 10 pounds per hour and 12 pounds per hour respectively.

Again as a UK based employer I agree with the sentiment of your post, some people will be astounded to know that there are MILLIONS of jobs available in the UK, and MANY MILLIONS MORE doing all they can to avoid taking one.

See what I'm getting at?

Again as a UK based employer I agree with the sentiment of your post, some people will be astounded to know that there are MILLIONS of jobs available in the UK, and MANY MILLIONS MORE doing all they can to avoid taking one.

Maybe we should assimilate more with the immigrants...

Let's face it, its 267 years since a Brit even APPLIED for the job of king - you'd have thought that might have been pretty attractive...

See what I'm getting at?

There lies the perennial problem, there are plenty of jobs but people think the job is beneath them or getting off their sofa for.

The thread is going to degenerate into a immigrant bashing, UK bashing, unemployed bashing, in fact bash everything to do with the UK.

The OP has his answer and is content, I suggest we close the thread.

I think the thread should stay open but we should re-focus on the opportunities available to the OP's wife with regards to a new job (or business); I actually think we should have focused on that from the start rather than discussing her current boss.

As a reminder my suggestions in this regard (as per post #9 on this thread) are as follows:

Thai massage: the normal pay is 15 pounds/hour in London (must be slightly less outside London), and although she will not have a massage to do every hour of the day, she will earn much more than in the restaurant. If she works in a spa, they will normally provide a staff room where she can relax with the other Thai staff (and maybe use that time to study online either to improve English or attain other qualifications).

Cleaning: in London at least this has become a foreigners-only job as the Brits feel it is below them; we know Thai girls who have cleaning jobs paying 10 pounds/hour (and found these jobs very easily). The best wages are available if she deals directly with the customer so you might need to help her get a little website and some flyers; if she is shy you could also knock a few doors or make a few calls for her.

Nanny: if she is good with children (as most Thai girls are from my experience) she could find work as a nanny. The work is more difficult to find that cleaning but the wages can be even better, especially if she pop backs to Thailand and gets some childcare and first-aid certificates. Again, helping her with marketing is advised.

Restaurant owner/manager: while she probably will not want to compete directly with her current employee, there is no reason why she couldn't open up in a new area (especially as she now has the experience to understand the business). Although there are of course many Thai restaurants in the UK, there are some sections of the market that seems less well covered, especially Thai barbecue (which I am sure would be popular as all the Korean barbecue places are very busy). Depending on your financial situation (and again her confidence) you might want to start small; in London for example they have certain streets that are allocated to "street vendors" (basicly caravan trailers selling takeaway food).

See what I'm getting at?

Mate, with respect, I'm struggling to take you seriously. I worked in the City and most traders were Brits. Investment analysts and fund managers were all Brits. Our core business was investment trusts, unit trusts, and managed currency funds.

A. Why would you (as a hedge fund employee below partner level) have interviewed candidates? I don't get that.

B. What exactly is "career advice for prospective investment bankers"? I've never heard of that, and I can't see that anyone (except a fool) would want it. Senior level employees where I worked were almost all Eton/Oxford. A few were Bristol/Exeter/Durham/. These guys often had fathers in the industry. They never needed advice. Nepotism exists, but it's talent (and not advice) that sets you apart.

C. Most of your customers are non-Brits. Point being .......... the guys headed for the top don't need or want you.

D. You run a spa. What is a spa? What does it offer for employees? It's massage. It's dead end. It's a road to nowhere. Still surprised why Brits don't apply?

D. You run a spa. What is a spa? What does it offer for employees? It's massage. It's dead end. It's a road to nowhere. Still surprised why Brits don't apply?

My mate has a spa and beauty salon, this morning he had a wedding party of 22 females and 7 males in, at a minimum cost of £40.00 per head, the most expensive " treatment " was £270.00.

Road to nowhere's like that I could walk any day coffee1.gif