Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

On 25/9/2560 at 9:13 PM, GarryP said:

We after using my new Garmin heart rate monitor for about four times, it is no longer working. Bought off ebay for about 650 Baht from China. So now I need a replacement. Any suggestions, especially whether I can get one in Thailand.  The Polar H7 Heart Rate Sensor looks interesting but no idea whether available in Thailand. 

Taveewat, what do you use?

You can get Polar H7 here.

http://tsmactive.com/polar/Polar-H7-Wearlink-Transmitter

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Quite expensive. But I will keep it in mind. For some reason my belt started working again last night. I will buy some silicon on seal it to keep out the sweat.

It can take awhile for the PM5 to find my belt. I find it quite annoying actually, as I have to do this every time I start it, which makes it quite disruptive when I hop from Rower to SkiErg and back again.

If you use the USB flash drive, it will remember your belt, but I gave up trying to use them as they didn't cooperate with my new PM5. I kept getting error messages.

34 minutes ago, tropo said:

It can take awhile for the PM5 to find my belt. I find it quite annoying actually, as I have to do this every time I start it, which makes it quite disruptive when I hop from Rower to SkiErg and back again.

If you use the USB flash drive, it will remember your belt, but I gave up trying to use them as they didn't cooperate with my new PM5. I kept getting error messages.

I have noticed that it can take quite some time to find the belt, but sometimes very quick.  I too find it annoying.  In any case, I have ordered the o-rings online. Hopefully, the belt will last until they arrive.  

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I have noticed that it can take quite some time to find the belt, but sometimes very quick.  I too find it annoying.  In any case, I have ordered the o-rings online. Hopefully, the belt will last until they arrive.  

You're lucky... it has never been very quick for me. Have you ever realised you didn't connect them after you started rowing - then had to stop - and it seems to take forever LOL. This is really annoying when I'm doing circuits and get on and off the rower often. I bought a Garmin wrist receiver to solve this annoyance.

Just now, tropo said:

You're lucky... it has never been very quick for me. Have you ever realised you didn't connect them after you started rowing - then had to stop - and it seems to take forever LOL. This is really annoying when I'm doing circuits and get on and off the rower often. I bought a Garmin wrist receiver to solve this annoyance.

Yes that has happened. Rowing a couple of minutes before I realise the  HRM has not connected. Stop,  fiddle about, make sure it is connected, then start again. Very annoying. Actually, I blame you. :thumbsup: You advised that it was important to watch my heart rate so I decided to follow your advice and buy a HRM.  Actually, it has made rowing more interesting - watching my heart rate, not connecting with the PM5. 

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Maybe problem come from chest strap, I used to found this problem when I used chinese made HR mornitor, I change strap by using authentic polar strap, it's work better.

10 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Maybe problem come from chest strap, I used to found this problem when I used chinese made HR mornitor, I change strap by using authentic polar strap, it's work better.

My chest straps are original, purchased from Concept2, so that's not it. It's not like it takes forever, it's just annoying when you're in a hurry to start. My connection to the SkiErg PM5 is faster than the Rower's PM5, and they are both new PM5's.

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Yes that has happened. Rowing a couple of minutes before I realise the  HRM has not connected. Stop,  fiddle about, make sure it is connected, then start again. Very annoying. Actually, I blame you. :thumbsup: You advised that it was important to watch my heart rate so I decided to follow your advice and buy a HRM.  Actually, it has made rowing more interesting - watching my heart rate, not connecting with the PM5. 

Sorry! When I do a long row it's not a problem for me, only when I switch machines or do circuits. I will try a new battery - maybe that will help speed things up.

On 27/09/2017 at 9:10 AM, GarryP said:

Quite expensive. But I will keep it in mind. For some reason my belt started working again last night. I will buy some silicon on seal it to keep out the sweat.

Well the belt worked fine yesterday but has stopped working again and nothing I do seems to work. So I will look into actually spending some money.

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Well the belt worked fine yesterday but has stopped working again and nothing I do seems to work. So I will look into actually spending some money.

I've had to buy a replacement for an ANT stick I use with my Garmin HRM. Also some copy out of China on eBay. I wonder how that will go.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:59 PM, Beck1976 said:

Unfortunately I dont have any suitable place to wall mount it, so will have to check the measurements, if its seems doable moving it in and out of my small storage room under the house each time, as I do with the rower.

It's quite tall. I have a standard 2.4-meter ceiling and the top of the SkiErg sits one hand span (about 24cm) below that. It won't be easy to move in and out of a small storage room.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

I've had to buy a replacement for an ANT stick I use with my Garmin HRM. Also some copy out of China on eBay. I wonder how that will go.

How accurate are the wrist HRMs and would you recommend using one over a chest strap. I will only be using it with the rower. Maybe go for bluetooth smart?

Edited by GarryP

19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

How accurate are the wrist HRMs and would you recommend using one over a chest strap. I will only be using it with the rower. Maybe go for bluetooth smart?

The wrist HRM receives a signal from the same Garmin Chest strap I use on my rower. The HR is identical to what shows on the screen. It's just a lot more convenient to watch the screen.

Check with avironracing.com. That's where I bought my SkiErg, based in Penang. They are the most local Concept2 distributor and they probably carry the Garmin Chest strap.

12 hours ago, GarryP said:

Optical HRM is accurate but maybe slower than chest strap.

Polar OH1 is the latest optical sensor and it use bluetooth connection but I don't know it compatible with PM5 or not.

• Like 1

Well I just received the O-rings from the e-bay supplier in super quick time. But it would appear it was not quick enuff to save my Garmin (?) HRM. :laugh:

O-rings.jpg

Edited by GarryP
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

Optical HRM is accurate but maybe slower than chest strap.

Polar OH1 is the latest optical sensor and it use bluetooth connection but I don't know it compatible with PM5 or not.

Here's a compatibility list for Concept2 PM's.

http://www.concept2.com/service/heart-rate-equipment

I've been using the Garmin Heart Rate strap for over 5 years and it has always performed when needed.

If you want the PM5 to remember your heart rate strap, you need to connect a flash drive. That way you don't have to search for it every time you start rowing.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Here's a compatibility list for Concept2 PM's.

http://www.concept2.com/service/heart-rate-equipment

I've been using the Garmin Heart Rate strap for over 5 years and it has always performed when needed.

If you want the PM5 to remember your heart rate strap, you need to connect a flash drive. That way you don't have to search for it every time you start rowing.

I've been through the website with a fine tooth comb as far as heart rate monitors in concerned. I just think I was unlucky with my belt (probably counterfeit). Or perhaps I am a highly charged individual. I'm a killer in the shopping malls with static electric shocks, regardless the footwear. 

BTW the o-seals were slightly too big so another waste of money, although I ordered 23mmID x1mm which all postings I could find claimed is the right size.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I've been through the website with a fine tooth comb as far as heart rate monitors in concerned. I just think I was unlucky with my belt (probably counterfeit). Or perhaps I am a highly charged individual. I'm a killer in the shopping malls with static electric shocks, regardless the footwear. 

BTW the o-seals were slightly too big so another waste of money, although I ordered 23mmID x1mm which all postings I could find claimed is the right size.

I got the conclusion, polar OH1 can use with PM5.This guy use OH1 with their skierg that mean model D with PM5 must work for OH1.

Screenshot_2017-10-02-22-04-41.png

17 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

I got the conclusion, polar OH1 can use with PM5.This guy use OH1 with their skierg that mean model D with PM5 must work for OH1.

Screenshot_2017-10-02-22-04-41.png

You might want to explore boron supplementation to heal your plantar fasciitis. I've been using it for nearly a month now and my knees have improved so much it's incredible. I can now row without knee pain. Yesterday I did a hard 30-minute row. Normally after this when I stand up my knees are sore and very stiff. Not now. I stand up and they feel loose and pain-free. If it can do that for arthritic knees, I have no doubt it will help your problem. 

Here's some reading to get you up to speed: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

• Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 10:31 PM, tropo said:

You might want to explore boron supplementation to heal your plantar fasciitis. I've been using it for nearly a month now and my knees have improved so much it's incredible. I can now row without knee pain. Yesterday I did a hard 30-minute row. Normally after this when I stand up my knees are sore and very stiff. Not now. I stand up and they feel loose and pain-free. If it can do that for arthritic knees, I have no doubt it will help your problem. 

Here's some reading to get you up to speed: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

What type of shop did you buy the Boron supplement from ? might have to give it a go thanks.

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

What type of shop did you buy the Boron supplement from ? might have to give it a go thanks.

I've bought NOW boron 3mg on iHerb. My wife uses those, but I've opted to use borax powder. You can buy it online in Thailand from the Good Karma shop. They offer great service.

https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=borax&submit_search=

For 495 plus 100 shipping, you can buy a lifetime's supply of borax. Dissolve 6 grams of this powder in 1L of water - that gives you 680mg of boron in total. (borax is roughly 11% boron). Every 5ml measure of this liquid will provide 3.4mg of elemental boron. I started on 15mg of boron per day and have recently bumped it up to 30mg per day. It's virtually tasteless at this concentration.

My knees haven't felt this good in 20 years or longer. I forgot what it's like to get around pain-free. It's an amazing feeling. My legs are getting stronger by the day. I actually noticed an improvement from the very first day. I'm now able to do exercises in the gym that caused quite a lot of pain before... like step-ups and lunges. I used to have very sore knees the day after doing them. Squats are also pain-free now as I build up my strength again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tropo said:

I've bought NOW boron 3mg on iHerb. My wife uses those, but I've opted to use borax powder. You can buy it online in Thailand from the Good Karma shop. They offer great service.

https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=borax&submit_search=

For 495 plus 100 shipping, you can buy a lifetime's supply of borax. Dissolve 6 grams of this powder in 1L of water - that gives you 680mg of boron in total. (borax is roughly 11% boron). Every 5ml measure of this liquid will provide 3.4mg of elemental boron. I started on 15mg of boron per day and have recently bumped it up to 30mg per day. It's virtually tasteless at this concentration.

My knees haven't felt this good in 20 years or longer. I forgot what it's like to get around pain-free. It's an amazing feeling. My legs are getting stronger by the day. I actually noticed an improvement from the very first day. I'm now able to do exercises in the gym that caused quite a lot of pain before... like step-ups and lunges. I used to have very sore knees the day after doing them. Squats are also pain-free now as I build up my strength again. 

Thanks for that, so you started on approx 5 tsp per day and increased to approx 10 tsp per day ?

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I have ordered the H7 but from Malaysia - the supplier tropo provided a link for. Hopefully, I won't have any more problems. 

I wouldn't want to row with that. It's too bulbous exactly where you pull the handles to when you row. The Garmin strap is a low profile and more suited to rowing. I do hit the Garmin strap with the handles sometimes. I have a Runtastic HRM similar in design to that H7, but I don't use it on the rower.

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Thanks for that, so you started on approx 5 tsp per day and increased to approx 10 tsp per day ?

Exactly. I don't use a teaspoon, but a proper measuring spoon to get 5ml exactly. I also use a gram scale to 0.1 gram accuracy. I don't like teaspoon approximations.

There's no exact science to it, but if you can handle the sermon-like lecture (in a church) from this doctor, you will be well informed once you've watched this video. It is really worth the hour. He explains that in Israel people get about 30mg per day. They have observed Boron miners in China who have been consuming up to 125mg per day and they're healthy. The toxic dose is over 6000mg (6 grams). That would be about 60g of borax powder. At my current dose, it will take 20 days to use 6 grams of borax, so that's 0.3 grams of borax per day. You might see some recommendations of 20mg  per day as the upper limit for boron consumption, but that was based on studies done on rats. 

He put his mother with severe osteoporosis on 75mg, and later 125mg per day to fix her skeleton - which it did. He uses tablets - he mentions a manufacturer that produces high dose tablets in the US. He calls Borax the "poor man's boron". LOL> I can live with that.

Edited by tropo