Concept 2 Rower Model D (Exercise For Fat Loss)

robblok

I went old-school today on legs. Only squats, seated calf raises and some single leg calf raises - that's it. All the leg machines are crap at Castra, so I have to stick with basics. The gym was pretty hot at 32C even with the air-conditioning on. The fans provided some relief but it certainly saps my energy compared to the cooler California Wow. The heart rate is noticeably higher in the heat at the same work level.

There might be a plus. I may start growing again as limited equipment will force me to cut back a bit and eliminate the risk of over-training. I also have no spare energy to do any cardio after - and I don't like the cardio equipment anyway.

I'll be following your lead and sticking with cardio on the Concept 2 at home - but I won't be doing it everyday as you do - perhaps 3 times a week. I'll just make up for reduced cardio by reducing food intake slightly - that won't be difficult.

Edited by tropo

Missed my morning row but made up for it this night... best one so far. I seem to be improving. Though this time it might just be that i had more food in my body. Normaly i row after I wake up.

I hope you can regulate your intake, you are already looking quite cut but its always nice to improve.

Im happy that im halfway through the month. That means it wont be long before im done with the work just an other 2 weeks.

Well, there's going to be an adjustment phase. Everything has changed this week. Equipment, environment, temperature - I'll have to adapt myself to a totally different routine. Mind you, this is not always a bad thing - I would have preferred not to have the disruption, but I'll try to treat it in a positive light. I'm certainly glad I bought the rower.

I think I've improved a bit since you last saw me, so I'm still heading in the right direction. I'm back into the 99's. 99.4kg this morning. My record low last month was 99.1kg.

Edited by tropo

I just knocked off another one hour session first thing without breakfast. I prefer to do this - just get up and straight onto it - saves time and waiting for breakfast to digest. I don't believe my performance is any different fasting or not.

I'm starting to find the one hour sessions easier.

I was curious Rob. What's the total distance you've rowed since you got the machine?

i believe its 220k at the moment Tropo. I prefer it too straight after breakfast but if i have a bad nights sleep i postpone it till the evening. Been having bad nights the last 2 so tonight an other row. In the end it does not make a big difference.

My guess was you were around the 1/4 million meters by now. When you get to 1 million you'll have to celebrate. I'm just over 150,000. Since my gym closed and I'm not doing as much I'm sleeping longer. For a long time I couldn't get much more than 6 hours on a good night. Since Cal Wow closed I'm consistently getting 7 to 8 hours. That's a sure sign I was overtraining before.

Just finished another 60 minute row. I am not sure if I can keep doing 60 minute rows but so far so good. Currently this is the only cardio I'm doing - and only 3 times per week. My new program will take time to develop. I did feel it in the shoulders a bit at the start because I did an chest workout yesterday but after a slow start it came right.

The butt gets a bit sore near the end - but that is from remaining stationary on the hard seat rather a muscular ache from the exercise

I'm trying to determine a good pace for 60 minutes. It's hard to predict how the hour is going to go when I start off. The gloves help a lot keeping the hands comfortable. Currently I'm keeping it above 14,000m for the hour and 900 calories. Today 14,300 meters burned 905 calories. This is MAF.

Just finished another 60 minute row. I am not sure if I can keep doing 60 minute rows but so far so good. Currently this is the only cardio I'm doing - and only 3 times per week. My new program will take time to develop. I did feel it in the shoulders a bit at the start because I did an chest workout yesterday but after a slow start it came right.

The butt gets a bit sore near the end - but that is from remaining stationary on the hard seat rather a muscular ache from the exercise

I'm trying to determine a good pace for 60 minutes. It's hard to predict how the hour is going to go when I start off. The gloves help a lot keeping the hands comfortable. Currently I'm keeping it above 14,000m for the hour and 900 calories. Today 14,300 meters burned 905 calories. This is MAF.

That is real good my maf for half an hour does not even reach 7000 meters usually about 6400 and then we dont even count getting tired so no way i could ever do 14.000

This is the amazing thing about MAF. Previous to MAF sessions, my hardest row was 7,167m for 30 minutes. I never did anything longer than 30 minutes back then. Now I'm eclipsing my hard rows with MAF. The other day I managed 14,726m for 60 minutes - way over my best previous 30 minute pace for an hour! That was my best so far, but every 60 minute session I've done so far has been at a better rate than my previous 30 minute hard row pace.

I get off the rower feeling pretty good. In fact, since California Wow closed I've had a lot more energy lol.

I agree MAF is pretty amazing and i got enough time to improve on myself. But your setting high standards. Good thing my heartrate is limiting me.

I love that i feel good after a row, not tired just good.

Completed another 1 hour row. I went a bit over MAF today for the 2nd 30 minutes which resulted in my 2nd best 1 hour distance. It seems I've solved the problem I was having last month when I found it difficult to get my HR to MAF on the rower. Trying to come up with the reason, I suspect it is because I'm stronger now since California Wow closed and I'm doing less cardio and less on the weights.

My current place of training (Castra) has been averaging between 29C and 32C (believe it or not there's a thermometer on the rowing machine there) this week in the afternoons when I go there. The higher temperatures result in less energy and reduced volume. I do fewer exercises and rest longer however I haven't reduced the weight I lift and the strength is still there.

I was going to do an evening row but then a client begged me to work for him because else he would loose his chance to apply for an US visa. So i relented and worked all night. But i think i can row tonight. I dont expect much as my strenght is down and you know the reason for it.

Good for you that things are going well.. Im thinking of getting a better A/c in the gym room.. But who knows.

I've tested it on my self many times over. From 2009 till 2011 I had memberships at California Wow (22C) and Tony's (28C - 33C). I regularly used both gyms. There is absolutely no doubt that my work load at 22C is much higher than what I can achieve at 30C. What's more, after a harder workout at 22C I would be feeling fresh compared to after a workout at 30C.

I had my heart rate monitor on at Castra the other day when it was 32C. I used their rowing machine for 10 minutes and noticed my HR was much higher than rowing in lower temperature and the intensity was much lower too. Same on the bike. I've trained a lot in hot gyms in Thailand and the Philippines to really appreciate the difference.

What this means in real terms is that I cannot burn as many calories in hot gyms, but I can still maintain my strength levels. Obviously it will affect my level of fitness over time as I can't work as hard. It feels hard in the hot, but the level of work output is down.

Here at home I stick the aircon on at 26C, which gets the humidity into the 50% zone and blow 2 fans on high - one from the side and one from behind. Not wearing a shirt helps even more to lower perspiration. It's not cold at 26C, but with the fans it's very comfortable.

Hi guys, I am interested in MAF, reading the blog at T NATION ~ your cardio makes no sence ~ and dont really understand it fully.

From what I do understand is that using the MAF formula of MAX HR - age = for me 184-38=146 bpm which coincidently puts me in Zone 1(135-150bpm) No rocket science here. Admittedly my CV and anaerobic fittness needs work but to maintain 146 bpm I'm slow jogging. I havn't tested this over a mile yet. Sooo one the face of it my cardio pulmonary system need to improve to allow me to increase my jog to a run but still maintain the 146bpm? is this correct.

So is the objective to MAF to have you HR working in the FATMAX zone and have your body achieving (goals) alot whilst doing it?

Now do I forget about my HR being in this FATMAX 146 zone and press on with anaererobic workouts in the 80-90% range to build up my cardio pulmonary system so I can get a good time over that mile keeping my heart rate at 146 MAF?

If I were to train all the time using MAF I would never increase my CV would I ? or is a case of balance the two the achichieve a good MAF?

There's a lot involved. Let me try and cover some points...

First of all, you have to decide what your goals are. If you race, then you're going to have to do some fast work in the anaerobic zone, in which case you'll have to work out a program which combines faster running and MAF, in different workouts. If you train too much in the high HR zone, you're going to burn out. MAF allows you to recover.

If you're a long distance runner, I can't see any reason why you'd need to train above MAF. If you run above MAF, eventually you'll "hit the wall" when you've used up your glycogen reserves. If you're burning fat with MAF you can go on indefinitely. If you're a sprinter or short distance runner, you'll need to develop speed at higher HR levels.

You may be surprised how fast you can run in your MAF zone. I don't run, but using the Cybex Arc Trainer as an example I'm now able to achieve an hourly calorie burn close to what I previously did in a much higher heart rate zone. What's more, it's enjoyable and I don't feel zonked out afterwards.

If you're very fit and haven't had any injuries for 2 years you can add 5% to your MAF heart rate.

To put this into perspective, Rob and I are doing MAF training primarily to burn as much fat as possible. Put another way, we're trying to burn as many calories as possible without it interfering with our weight training programs. When I did hard cardio my workouts suffered because I would easily become overtrained.

Previously I was doing hard cardio and also HIIT sessions. I now stick with MAF.

Currently I'm doing 4 weight training workouts and 3 x 60 minute MAF rowing sessions per week. That's as much as my body can handle.

Edited by tropo

Now the penneys dropped.

I need to loose some weight so this is good information. I jumped on the treadmill this morning, warmed up then slow jogged 1 mile, it took 14 minutes. My MAF is 146 but I had real trouble sticking to it, I tended to sit around 150-154 comfortably so I jogged it at that HR. Note: I was at the point where a brisk walk becomes a jogg and wanted to jogg not walk. Now I understand more I will walk not jog wink.png When I resitance train I usually work between 70 and 85% of Max HR. this after my 20-30 min run. I now see where this could lead.

My goals are three and in no particular order. Loose body fat, increase cardio vascularity and become toned/stronger. Gaining weight is not one of my aims.

I now realise I need to seperate my cardio and resistance, I think?

Currently I'm doing 4 weight training workouts and 3 x 60 minute MAF rowing sessions per week. That's as much as my body can handle.

So thats your week then, sounds like a good plan.

Edited by damo

My goals are three and in no particular order. Loose body fat, increase cardio vascularity and become toned/stronger. Gaining weight is not one of my aims.

I now realise I need to seperate my cardio and resistance, I think?

You don't have to separate them. It would depend on your energy levels and how much time you want to dedicate to the weight training part of your workout. If you have time and energy there's no reason why you can't add a 20 - 30 minute cardio session at the end. My weight workouts are too long and intense to have any energy over to do any cardio, so the cardio would be counter-productive for me.

If you overtrain, you'll go backwards. Overtraining means overstepping your body's ability to recover from the stress of exercise. Training at high heart rates is a way to very quickly become overtrained. How much you can handle will be determined by your age, health, rest (sleep), diet and genetics. We're all different. You need to be aware of how much you can handle and try not to overstep that.

Edited by tropo

So when you resistance train on your 4 days do you use a HRM and if so what % are you aiming to train around, your MAF? Obviously your other 3 days of aerobic is worked around your MAF and going to be your MAX HR - Age.

off topic a little.

I just used gaspari superpump max this morning for the first time and all I can say is giddy up cowboy. That stuff is rocket fuel, made me piss 10 times before lunch, made me thirsty but added 15%+ weight to my some of my lifts with heaps improved concentration. I am so amazed. That is with only one scoop, not the recomended 3. No jitters either ;)

I understand now that I have been throwing too much effort into my workouts, not over the top but I have probably missed some oportunity to loose some fat by running with to much intensity. I'm stoked you have put that link up and led me to this info. I will have to work out ways to mak it work for me. Next week I have the week to myself and plenty of time for the gym so I will have more time to work out and do it at a pace that lets me target my MAF, this week its not an option, the best I can do is get 45 mins each morning before I have to get out of the gym and get going.

So when you resistance train on your 4 days do you use a HRM and if so what % are you aiming to train around, your MAF? Obviously your other 3 days of aerobic is worked around your MAF and going to be your MAX HR - Age.

off topic a little.

I just used gaspari superpump max this morning for the first time and all I can say is giddy up cowboy. That stuff is rocket fuel, made me piss 10 times before lunch, made me thirsty but added 15%+ weight to my some of my lifts with heaps improved concentration. I am so amazed. That is with only one scoop, not the recomended 3. No jitters either wink.png

I understand now that I have been throwing too much effort into my workouts, not over the top but I have probably missed some oportunity to loose some fat by running with to much intensity. I'm stoked you have put that link up and led me to this info. I will have to work out ways to mak it work for me. Next week I have the week to myself and plenty of time for the gym so I will have more time to work out and do it at a pace that lets me target my MAF, this week its not an option, the best I can do is get 45 mins each morning before I have to get out of the gym and get going.

You'll get to a point with pre-workout supplements where you've max'ed out the benefits. Sooner or later you won't notice a difference and you could become hooked on them in that you'll feel you can't train without them. That's how these companies can make big bucks from you.

I don't monitor heart rate during my weight training. Having worn my HRM at times, I do know that my heart rate goes over 90% on squats... but it's of no consequence. I have weight and rep targets which have nothing to do with heart rate.

Anyway, I wish you good luck in getting a program together which works for you.

Edited by tropo

I like superpump too and i like white flood and i love cafeine.. but better to cycle of all them once in a while.

How do you motivate yourself to cycle off them? Wouldn't that guarantee a lousy workout if you've been using any of the above for quite awhile.

I like superpump too and i like white flood and i love cafeine.. but better to cycle of all them once in a while.

How do you motivate yourself to cycle off them? Wouldn't that guarantee a lousy workout if you've been using any of the above for quite awhile.

Sure its not nice.. but it is what i do. A few bad workouts are ok because after the bad workouts the good ones start again.

Last night a 30 min row my best so far. I did not do any 45 min rows for about a month. So i did a 45 minute row this morning. I beat my previous best row by 630 meters 9006 to 9630. Just a little bit more and im doing 10k in 45 minutes. That is one of my goals, its all about fat burning but the more meters you do in a time the more you burn.

I also think this is great for my cardio vascular health. For me the rower is one of the best investments i made in my health.