Another No-Booze Weekend?

biggrin.png Drinkers be aware.

At the beginning of June there is a Buddhist holiday known as Vesak Day on Monday 4 June. This is also listed on the pinned "Thai National Holidays" topic above as a National holiday,

This year that day will also be the culmination of a week long Buddhist celebration with displays of Buddhist relics and a Royal ceremony to be attended by the Queen.

The events start on the 29th of May and will continue for a week until the 4th of June.

If you're a drinker, you should expect at least the 4th of June to be a no booze sales day.

Maybe even that weekend.

So boozers should plan ahead.

You have now been officially made "aware".

biggrin.png

i always have at least a few 4x 24 beers in reserve

and i buy another 4 x 24 every time i go to the big C

buddhist holidays never affect my drinking smile.png

cant see why anyone would not not have some beers stocked if they are a daily drinker

Edited by wana

wana, do you feel that your ample beer consumption contributes more to your hansome man looks, fine physical appearance or abundance of intelligence? biggrin.png

do i have to choose one or can i have a combination of all 3 ?

wana, do you feel that your ample beer consumption contributes more to your hansome man looks, fine physical appearance or abundance of intelligence? biggrin.png

do i have to choose one or can i have a combination of all 3 ?

And of course the more he drinks the hansummer he gets!

Thanks for the warning, I'm arriving at swampy on the morning of the third. I guess this means I should buy a bottle of whiskey (or two) at the duty free shop in-case I feel the need to have a drink!

Yes,

Considering the various reports of airport scams: delays at customs, drug setups, theft set up at giftshops, thieving customs officers, limosine touts, taxi meter scam..ect ect

you might need several stiff ones!!

AHH just joking!! never had the slightest hint of any of the above after many trips (but i had to say it since TIT(visadotcom)

Might want to save the whiskey to buy at 7/11 or Big C while here though, havent noticed any better prices at the airports.

Have a good trip and welcome to LOS

(that would be land of smiles...NOT land of scams!!)

Thanks for the warning, I'm arriving at swampy on the morning of the third. I guess this means I should buy a bottle of whiskey (or two) at the duty free shop in-case I feel the need to have a drink!

Yes,

Considering the various reports of airport scams: delays at customs, drug setups, theft set up at giftshops, thieving customs officers, limosine touts, taxi meter scam..ect ect

you might need several stiff ones!!

AHH just joking!! never had the slightest hint of any of the above after many trips (but i had to say it since TIT(visadotcom)

Might want to save the whiskey to buy at 7/11 or Big C while here though, havent noticed any better prices at the airports.

Have a good trip and welcome to LOS

(that would be land of smiles...NOT land of scams!!)

Decent booze is still cheaper at Duty Free, and at least you know it's not some scammed watered down piss that you just might get passed on to you here.

Is it just me or is this same thread rolled out every time there is a public holiday in Thailand?

Your right, its not you.

Crazy actually that people fear a day of not drinking, on the other hand i find it crazy too that religion dictates this for everyone in this country.

Is it just me or is this same thread rolled out every time there is a public holiday in Thailand?

Drinking alcohol can lead to memory loss

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

As is the unfairness of it all on the poor westerners. The effect on "unlucky" tourists and how bored everyone must be.

I'll give my usual answer. Go to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap for the weekend. Both cities are worth a visit.

Your right, its not you.

Crazy actually that people fear a day of not drinking, on the other hand i find it crazy too that religion dictates this for everyone in this country.

It's a mark of respect. It's hardly a hardship.

Frankly, I love those days in Bangkok - the evenings are much nicer to walk around.

Your right, its not you.

It's a mark of respect. It's hardly a hardship.

Frankly, I love those days in Bangkok - the evenings are much nicer to walk around.

If you need to outlaw alcohol so people wont drink it the faith is not real strong is it. There goes your respect. Buddhist should do this for themselves and others should not be bothered with it.

If you need to outlaw alcohol so people wont drink it the faith is not real strong is it. There goes your respect. Buddhist should do this for themselves and others should not be bothered with it.

There is no separation between religion and state here, Buddhism is the official state religion and garners as much respect as the monarchy. If they wanted to ban the use of internal combustion engines on holy days they could and while Thais would have the right to complain very few would.

You have the right to drink alcohol on such days, they simply ban its sale in some areas, certainly not in all. I think you will find it doesn't in reality inconvenience you much at all. We who are simply guests here have no right to complain, but many of us still do.

The main point of such threads being there's no point in complaining about it, your complaints would have no effect positive effect, and the negative ones only reflect on you.

• Like 2

There is no separation between religion and state here, Buddhism is the official state religion and garners as much respect as the monarchy. If they wanted to ban the use of internal combustion engines on holy days they could and while Thais would have the right to complain very few would.

You have the right to drink alcohol on such days, they simply ban its sale in some areas, certainly not in all. I think you will find it doesn't in reality inconvenience you much at all. We who are simply guests here have no right to complain, but many of us still do.

The main point of such threads being there's no point in complaining about it, your complaints would have no effect positive effect, and the negative ones only reflect on you.

My understanding is that the religious bans are nationwide, and hit the touristy places particularly hard. Not a problem for you and I, since we can stock up the day before in 7 - 11 or the local garage on lao khao or paraffin or whaterver we drink, but less convenient for those tourists who have scrimped for months for their luxurious holiday in the sun.

SC

Alcohol is not outlawed. Just the sale of it. On a handful of days each year. Is that such a hardship?

• Like 1

Alcohol is not outlawed. Just the sale of it. On a handful of days each year. Is that such a hardship?

I suppose it depends on whch days you're inThailand for a break from the oil rig.

SC