Another No-Booze Weekend?

If you need to outlaw alcohol so people wont drink it the faith is not real strong is it. There goes your respect. Buddhist should do this for themselves and others should not be bothered with it.

Alcohol is not outlawed. Just the sale of it. On a handful of days each year. Is that such a hardship?

Only for tourists. The locals will get p!ssed as usual.

If you need to outlaw alcohol so people wont drink it the faith is not real strong is it. There goes your respect. Buddhist should do this for themselves and others should not be bothered with it.

Alcohol is not outlawed. Just the sale of it. On a handful of days each year. Is that such a hardship?

I've never met a tourist who cares about it. It seems to be a perenniel subject which gets TV into a frenzy, but I suspect most tourists are able to put the horror behind them and continue their holiday for a day without a beer.

I've never met a tourist who cares about it. It seems to be a perenniel subject which gets TV into a frenzy, but I suspect most tourists are able to put the horror behind them and continue their holiday for a day without a beer.

I recall one occasion when a friend organised a piss-up to coincide with a works visit, and had former colleagues fly in from around the region, only to discover that the evening in question was a religious holiday. I can confirm that the people who had flown in were dismayed, but fortunately they were able to decamp to somebody's home and drink there.

SC

I recall one occasion when a friend organised a piss-up to coincide with a works visit, and had former colleagues fly in from around the region, only to discover that the evening in question was a religious holiday. I can confirm that the people who had flown in were dismayed, but fortunately they were able to decamp to somebody's home and drink there.

SC

Yes 100% that for critical situations such as this the friendly Thais will definitely have a workaround available, even if there are surcharges available won't be a problem from a big-picture POV. . .

SC

Yes 100% that for critical situations such as this the friendly Thais will definitely have a workaround available, even if there are surcharges available won't be a problem from a big-picture POV. . .

I don 't know about that... when I plan a big night out, I don't want 'work-arounds' and 'surchages'. I want to go to the places I want to go to, and drink what I want to drink.

Having to suddenly go for a 'workaround', and pay over the odds to drink out of teacups, with no loud music, or whatever, damages one's confidence in a place as a tourist destination for similar future big nights out. It must be unfortunate for the casual labour that works in such places, as well as the publicans; another example of nanny-state interference in one's freedom to make one's own decisions and mistakes impacting on small businesses, and leading to corruption and dishonesty. People would not have to bribe coppers if they could open legally, and they could leave the fire escapes open if they did not have to hide behind closed doors... Simple laws, restricted to protecting the innocent from others...

Anyway, as in the other thread, for me its a purely academic discussion...

SC

Not for me, i haven't drank a sip of alcohol since 1 January so i could not care less. It does not fit into my goals at the moment. Its more the principle of state religion that i don't really like. Forcing religion onto people is never good.

There is no separation between religion and state here, Buddhism is the official state religion and garners as much respect as the monarchy. If they wanted to ban the use of internal combustion engines on holy days they could and while Thais would have the right to complain very few would.

You have the right to drink alcohol on such days, they simply ban its sale in some areas, certainly not in all. I think you will find it doesn't in reality inconvenience you much at all. We who are simply guests here have no right to complain, but many of us still do.

The main point of such threads being there's no point in complaining about it, your complaints would have no effect positive effect, and the negative ones only reflect on you.

Again, i don't drink so i am not affected at all. Just don't like forced religious things. I wont loose a night sleep over this. Doesn't mean i like religion to be forced upon me.

Not for me, i haven't drank a sip of alcohol since 1 January so i could not care less. It does not fit into my goals at the moment. Its more the principle of state religion that i don't really like. Forcing religion onto people is never good.

Congratulations, great work!

If you've been here a while I'm sure you know that it isn't too productive to get worked up about the many conflicts between one's principles and reality here.

Congratulations, great work!

If you've been here a while I'm sure you know that it isn't too productive to get worked up about the many conflicts between one's principles and reality here.

Actually i don't get that worked up about it, i don't like it but there are so many things here that i do like that it outweighs the bad things. I just have some principles.

But I wont loose any sleep over it.

I am trying to cut drinking out of my life so this will not affect me. smile.png

You're kidding, right????

I once heard a radio talkback show that mentioned, if you want to seriously give up drinking, then start by associating with friends who don't drink.........I thought for two whole nanoseconds and realised "I don't have any friends who don't drink".

"I don't have any friends who don't drink".

That only becomes a problem when you want to stop drinking - many people don't actually drink so much that it affects their lives so - no problem!

I am trying to cut drinking out of my life so this will not affect me.

There are groups of wonderful people - even some with women - meeting every day around Bangkok, expressly for the purpose of helping you accomplish this if you would like to come, you'd be made to feel very welcome..

I keep a fridge on the porch stocked with beer (and ice too, I'm a convert) and have a little farm shop 100 metres away which ignores alcohol-selling laws, so no problem other than half-eaten items that the 9 year old puts in there for later....

Edited by pastitche

Be leaving for Blighty on Sun so no prob.

Unfortunately got all the jubilee crap to look forward to....then wimbleton..and finally those Bl++dy Olympics...not into royalty,tennis or sport,so whats left O yea the Pub...

Might be back sooner than expected

A solution to 'no selling alcohol days'

1.Download a short video of beer being poured to your smartphone.

2. Place Smartphone in mouth on day in question.

3. Enjoy, but don't overdo it!

With a Motorola Defy, you can place the phone in your glass of beer and play that video

while you are drinking, twice the fundrunk.gif

post-136786-0-00629000-1338118671_thumb.

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1