Invest In Teachers To Make Education More Equitable: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL

Invest in teachers to make education more equitable

The Nation

Our students deserve good schooling but authorities are more concerned about numbers in classrooms and spending on questionable facilities

BANGKOK: -- The protest by Bodindecha students and their parents urging the school to take previously rejected students into classes illustrates a major flaw in the education system. The students and parents have been desperately trying to get accepted at this well-recognised school because of the wider disparity in the quality of our schools.

As of press time, there were reports that the school had accepted an additional 20 students and planned to assist parents of the remaining rejected students to find suitable schools nearby.

But this episode at Bodindecha School is unlikely to be the last of its kind. In fact, students who have been rejected from other well-regarded schools are reportedly planning to make the same kind of protest. After all, what has happened at Bodindecha is not an isolated case. Every year when the new semester commences, there are scenes of students crying because they'd been rejected by their school of choice. This is a sad reality check for students about the lesson of the survival of the fittest.

Like any public secondary school, Bodindecha will allocate only 80 per cent of its places to students who have graduated from lower secondary schools. Bodindecha officials explain that it cannot take in all the students who want to attend due to Education Ministry ratio requirements. The ministry says this is in line with its plan to accept academically excellent students from other lower-secondary schools, as well as to encourage students to look at other options, such as continuing their studies in technical college or vocational school.

The Bodindecha protest has illustrated the challenges facing the Thai education system. First, the issue facing students is not a shortage of schools, but disparity in the quality of teaching. That is why students who were rejected by Bodindecha rejected the ministry's offer to find new schools for them conveniently close to their homes. However, the students and parents were concerned that the quality of these alternative schools wouldn't match that of Bodindecha.

Secondly, the ministry's plan to encourage students to consider other options, such as vocational colleges, doesn't seem to have worked well, since many parents and students perceive vocational schools as inferior.

In fact, the future job market will require more people with specific technical skills. Some parents nevertheless cling to the long-standing belief that graduates of prestigious high schools have better career opportunities. Add to that the fact that the reputation of many vocational schools has been tarnished by years of brawls among rival students.

These are just some of the issues the responsible agencies must tackle in order to improve the education of our young people.

The basic issue is that the school system has a problem of quality, not quantity. But numbers have been the determinant factor for educators and the Education Ministry for years. For instance, state schools receive a budget in proportion to the number of students, not their academic standards. Therefore, the bigger schools can afford to invest in even more facilities to attract even more students because of the extra funding. And this leads to a vicious cycle of failure, because bigger classroom sizes in public schools - often 50 students or more - is not conducive to learning, with students too often neglected by their teachers.

In addition, the ministry tends to focus on providing material teaching aids rather than better-quality teachers. Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej has said that the free computer-tablet project would help revolutionise the school system, but this will not be the case. The ministry and its educators and bureaucrats place too much emphasis on material investments, hoping for an instant solution. This is despite the fact that students ask for nothing except good-quality teaching. The government needs to think more about investing in people rather than populist material handouts that will not cure the ills of the system in the long term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-24

As long as "tea money" and an utterly superficial approach are at play, Thailand will experience a dearth of quality of education. Throwing money at the situation will improve nothing. Equality in this country is a joke. There is a firmly entrenched class system that wraps its tendrils around every stretch of the long-term Thai experience.

As long as "tea money" and an utterly superficial approach are at play, Thailand will experience a dearth of quality of education. Throwing money at the situation will improve nothing. Equality in this country is a joke. There is a firmly entrenched class system that wraps its tendrils around every stretch of the long-term Thai experience.

The daughter of my wife just entered the mattayom 1 class in a school out in the deepest isaan, the school has about 1500 students and 80 teachers, about 250 new matayom class 1 students. at the parents information they were talking about discipline and about physical punishment (yes, really, they distributed a form where the parents had to say yes or no to allow the teachers to hit for punishment). that is a typical teacher quality problem they need to hit if they are not able to cope otherwise, never learnt how to (i used to be a teacher and know what i am talking about)

now our daughter reports that in her class are 45 students and some have no desks and must sit on the floor. the school has not enough teachers and not enough rooms and the stupid populist governement is spending millions for useless tablets... a real pitty and it happens on the back of the future generation. i think that situation is symptomatic for governement schools out in the poor red shirts country side, which again shows the low interest of many people for a better education out here. the interest stops because of the costs. to enter matayaom 1 school we had to pay about 6000BHT for uniforms, shoes, and and and ...here i am estimating the avaerage income at about 4000 BHT (cash is scarce here) a month...what happens if they have more childern????....they do no go to school anymore!!!! very simple is it???

The daughter of my wife just entered the mattayom 1 class in a school out in the deepest isaan, the school has about 1500 students and 80 teachers, about 250 new matayom class 1 students. at the parents information they were talking about discipline and about physical punishment (yes, really, they distributed a form where the parents had to say yes or no to allow the teachers to hit for punishment). that is a typical teacher quality problem they need to hit if they are not able to cope otherwise, never learnt how to (i used to be a teacher and know what i am talking about)

now our daughter reports that in her class are 45 students and some have no desks and must sit on the floor. the school has not enough teachers and not enough rooms and the stupid populist governement is spending millions for useless tablets... a real pitty and it happens on the back of the future generation. i think that situation is symptomatic for governement schools out in the poor red shirts country side, which again shows the low interest of many people for a better education out here. the interest stops because of the costs. to enter matayaom 1 school we had to pay about 6000BHT for uniforms, shoes, and and and ...here i am estimating the avaerage income at about 4000 BHT (cash is scarce here) a month...what happens if they have more childern????....they do no go to school anymore!!!! very simple is it???

Nothing to do with red shirts or any particular government. The education system here is very very very poor, just like system of governance no matter who is in charge. Yes most upcountry people, and most of the urban poor, don't have access to a decent education. There is no effective idea of "equality" that's just not part of Thai culture.

Poor peasant kids rarely go to school past 13 or 14, that's when they have to start supporting their family, or often start one of their own by accident.

I'm surprised to hear about the permission form, it was my impression that beating the kids is the norm and would think most parents would want to keep it that way, they believe if the kid isn't afraid of the teacher they won't learn.

But since the teacher rarely knows anything worth teaching it hardly matters does it.

That's the way it is here, if you want to make a difference don't bother getting your blood pressure up, just do what you can for those around you able to take advantage of what you have to offer.

Or if it's really important to you get your family back to your home country.

These parents must be told in a very frank manner, that unless their children start picking up books, and actually reading, and studying, they are destined to a life of under 10,000 baht per month jobs. No special favors. No means no. The spoiled brats either do the work, or pay the price. You, as their parent have a choice. Either pretend no problem exists, or do the work required to raise a child properly. No money is going to change that. Thailand desperately needs to raise it's educational standards, or it runs the risk of getting left behind by most of it's neighbors. It has already been overtaken by Malaysia, and Indonesia. It is only a matter of time before Vietnam and Burma overtakes the LOS. What are they waiting for? Thailand has dropped from the 22nd largest economy in the world 6 years ago, to the 25th largest now. It is only a matter of time until they are the 45th largest, unless something drastic changes, and some leaders with vision and courage come along and make the right moves. It sure as hell is not happening under Yingluck, nor was it happening under Abhisit.

• Like 1

Its unfortunate but education in Thailand is all about 'show,'

go into any large secondary school and you will see perfectly tended flower beds, beautiful water fountains all around and signs everywhere saying "To be Number 1". The reception area of the school has fancy tables and chairs, 52 inch plasma screens and coffee making facilities. The Director has an emaculate office, heavy carpeting and pictures of important thai people everywhere. It looks really good.

Now have a walk around the school buildings. Broken fans in rooms, computers that dont work. old tape recorders on show but unable to use, busted cabinets, busted tv's and in some cases no doors on the rooms. They purchase 'English" books written by a mexican lady (really) but only have enough for 1 book one class. the teacher has to photocopy each chapter and give that to the students.

one day a week the teachers come in with their scout uniforms on with their special medals pinned to them for turning up I guess. They think they look good, they look important but they just look stupid ( I think) Different colours of shirts for everyday and if you dont join in and make the effort, then you are a bad teacher.

Turn up at 6 am and leave at 5pm and you are the dogs <deleted>. Come to school on time and leave when you have no more classes and you are a bad teacher. the fact that your students' English has increased tenfold does not come into the equation.

Attend staff functions (of which there are many) and you are a good teacher. Got a life and don't want to go - you are a BAD teacher. And so the list goes on. Money spent on 'Show" and no academic results is the norm.

You have now entered the thai education system. Dress nice, be handsome, kiss ass, wai everyone and for god sakes go to the staff functions.Then you will get along fine. Thailand, "The hub of 'Show.

Here's another comparison, my Thai granddaughter goes to a full English program (EP), all farang teachers (except pasa Thai). She has two female cousins who attend a government school in Minburi. All within the 7 to 9 yrs age bracket

Granddaughter speaks advanced English and has no hesitation to discuss, to politely ask questions and to explain herself in either language.

The parents of her cousins (unfortunately very poor) can't understand why there is an obvious difference. At their school in Minburi class size is around 55, often they are dumped into another class because of lack of teachers, teachers never ask questions to the kids, and the kids are forbidden to ask questions in class. They rarely have homework and the parents have no education and are mostly unable to help with any homework.

Plus, the two girls get up about 06.00, get ready for school then watch cartoons until about 7:30. They come home from school around 4:00pm, sit down and watch cartoons and Thai soap operas until about 10:00pm. They eat in front of the TV. Neither of them speak very much and they both have close to zero communication skills

My Thai son and his wife continuously ask their daughter to explain things about animals, the planets, how plants grow, nutrition, they teach her simple cooking with lots of discussion, and more. The parents of the two cousins never ask them questions and never explain anything to them, etc etc

There's are obvious reasons why there is a difference, part of it is quality interactive education.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

(yes, really, they distributed a form where the parents had to say yes or no to allow the teachers to hit for punishment). It is a criminal offense here in Thailand for a teacher to hit a student and although it happens i can assure you it is very rare! About as rare as in Western countries

(yes, really, they distributed a form where the parents had to say yes or no to allow the teachers to hit for punishment). It is a criminal offense here in Thailand for a teacher to hit a student and although it happens i can assure you it is very rare! About as rare as in Western countries

My understanding is the same, teachers, by Thai law, cannot hit students.

But like many other things it seems that some schools ignore the law, ignore policy directives and just make their own rules, and that seems to be accepted.

Banking is another example, there are laws, there are many policies and regulations issued by the Bank of Thailand (bank chart), but individual banks often seem to make their own regulations, sometimes with some clash with bank chart regulations, plus local bank managers (in some banks) seem to have the power to make their own local rules with no comment from the bank HO.

There are wide variances in the standards of schools, private and government, in every country that I have lived in. In the UK people will move house to make sure their children attend one particular school and avoid others. An American Professor friend recently told me that things are very similar in the US - widely different standards. The problems of establishing an effective education system that reflects the needs of children in the challenging rapidly changing societies we now live in are not unique to Thailand. However, the polarisations between standards in Thailand are greater than other countries I've lived in. I do see many parents, who are in a position to do so, shop arround and look for the best schools they can afford. This doesn't help the children of poorer familes reliant on state schools.

I know many Thai teachers who are hard working dedicated professionals, who would love to see education really overhauled. Equally, I have met a few abysmal ones who really ought to be doing a different job (Thai and non-Thai).

Finland and Korea are often cited as good current models. Thailand is still seen as one of the developing emerging countries to watch by many investment strategists, and should have the confidence to invest in a robust education system which is an essential part of filling that vision.

If you care so much for your daughters education, send her to a better school!

There are wide variances in the standards of schools, private and government, in every country that I have lived in. In the UK people will move house to make sure their children attend one particular school and avoid others. An American Professor friend recently told me that things are very similar in the US - widely different standards. The problems of establishing an effective education system that reflects the needs of children in the challenging rapidly changing societies we now live in are not unique to Thailand. However, the polarisations between standards in Thailand are greater than other countries I've lived in. I do see many parents, who are in a position to do so, shop arround and look for the best schools they can afford. This doesn't help the children of poorer familes reliant on state schools.

I know many Thai teachers who are hard working dedicated professionals, who would love to see education really overhauled. Equally, I have met a few abysmal ones who really ought to be doing a different job (Thai and non-Thai).

Finland and Korea are often cited as good current models. Thailand is still seen as one of the developing emerging countries to watch by many investment strategists, and should have the confidence to invest in a robust education system which is an essential part of filling that vision.

There's a lot of interesting points in your post.

One point is the whole question about standards. Or in a question, do we want every school to be the same quality / standard?

The quick answer would seem to be yes!

But if all schools were the same and stayed that way, perhaps because of some dicate that they must stay within the centrally dictated school policies / standards, then where does innovation and improvement come from?

One would hope that it would come from several sources or inputs:

1). Centrally dictated macro level policy, example: 'free education from start to end of high school', etc, etc (but there are always strong question marks, in many countries, whether these type of policies are political expeniency to win votes etc).

2). Policy dictated by education ministries - but in many countries the 'minister' is a political appointee with little to zero knowledge of education administration, pedagogy, etc., and little interest. Even more damaging is when the permanent heads of such ministries are also political appointees with little to zero capability to engage is insighful discussion about education or education reform. (Thailand of course just one example, Singapoe of course the opposite, the education minister is an education professional and highly capable, and respected.)

3). Career teachers. This is where there could perhaps be more input into reform, but there needs to be a climate whereby these folks are enouraged to explore, to research, to propose, etc.

IMHO 3). above is where there is more hope of generating reform.

I agree with Baerboxer, above, here in Thailand there are plenty of Thai teaching professionals who could generate change and improvement but they are not encouraged (not allowed) to do so.

I also agree there is a body of Thai teachers who are strongly holding back education reform.

Just one example, a Thai close family member who has recently completed the new 5 year education degree (bachelor degree),

He worked at a school where the headmistress is very keen for change and upgrade of teaching methodology. She tasked my son and his buddy (graduated from same class) to make a 40 minute presentation to a group of older teachers about the 'teaching methodology' they had just learned. She hoped it would spark a request for more details.

Not one teacher turned up, plus a number of the other teachers went as a deputation to the headmistress to tell her they were all insulted and demanded that she promise there would never again be any repeat of this and demanded that she refuse to send any teachers to any form of classes on newer methodology organized by the education ministry.

My family member and his buddy were then ostracized by the other teachers. They left and went to other schools.

There's a long and difficult road ahead.

Edited by scorecard

If you care so much for your daughters education, send her to a better school!

i do something by giving to my daughter and some willing friends of her private lessions in english, this gives me the possibility to interest the kids for more than just soap operas at the tv, as one former post said...It is more important to make them curious and try to get the kids wanting to know more.. i am trying it with jokes and some funny games...this i do without TOEFL or anything like that, i am no native english speaker, however i spent all my life as an international and am speaking and writing german, french and english