Thai Police To Strictly Check On Taxi Drivers Without Permits From 1 June

webfact

Police to strictly check on taxi drivers without permits from 1 June

BANGKOK, 24 May 2012 (NNT) – Taxi drivers who are missing their permits are warned to acquire the documents before the end of May, or they will risk a jail term or a fine.

National Police spokesperson, Police Major General Piya Utayo said on Wednesday that, according to the Land Transport Department’s data, out of some 101,000 registered taxis in the country, around 77,000 are operated by companies or co-op’s while the other 24,000 are privately-owned.

Official data also showed that as many as 2 million taxi rides have been recorded each day across Thailand.

However, Police Major General Piya stated that a number of taxi drivers have not acquired an official permit to get behind the wheel.

He said that the weak enforcement of public transport permit rules had made it more difficult for the police to work on taxi-related crimes.

Therefore, from June 1st, any taxi drivers without a proper permit will be subject to a maximum jail term of 1 month, or a maximum fine of 1,000 baht, while those who fail to show their documents will risk facing a maximum fine of 1,000 baht as well.

Police Major General Piya added that taxi companies will also be subject to a maximum fine of 2,000 baht if they let any driver get behind the wheel without the permit.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-24 footer_n.gif

another serious attempt to stamp out offenders, if they find that most drivers without permits operate between 11pm and 2am they will ban taxis from operating at that time next...

Dangerous for the BIB, because as they collect the 1,000 Baht note they will probably not be carrying a ruler!

This isn't going to change a single bit of the Taxi scene in Thailand, or the illegal drivers. However, the boys will be stopping every cab they can see in the hope of a 1,000Baht payment! coffee1.gif

-mel.

Shouldn't they have been strictly checking them anyway?

Not another split infinitive in the same article if you please!

There is nothing strictly wrong with the odd split infinitive.

Grammar nazi wink.png

don't make me come up with a compound split infinitive next haha

Shouldn't they have been strictly checking them anyway?

Not another split infinitive in the same article if you please!

There is nothing strictly wrong with the odd split infinitive.

Grammar nazi wink.png

don't make me come up with a compound split infinitive next haha

Ha ha.

The headline made me cringe - and your post hit me at a moment of weakness!

I shall endeavour to never remotely be a grammar nazi again! Ha ha

1,000 baht, yeah, that's a serious threat.

That's the maximum so the bribe will be less. Don't forget the 2000 baht maximum fine or the taxi company. They'll just have to fleece a few more foreigners to pay for it.

"Taxi drivers who are missing their permits are warned to acquire the documents before the end of May, or they will risk a jail term or a fine."

Or they just pay 200 baht?

I drove a cab somewhere in Europe many many moons ago. A very serious health check, a test that I knew all the roads in the city where I applied for a permit.

Health checks had to be done every two years, little health problems and no more permit.

Not to mention that I had to have a driver's license and I knew how cars work( brakes, easy mechanical BS before I even started driving.

A part of education where Thais are lacking of.

The test for a Thai driver's license is one of the most difficult ones I ever had. Even bet the locals being on crutches after a motorcycle accident. coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

Police Major General Piya said that "The weak enforcement of public transport permit rules . . . " That is it in a nutshell: weak enforcement of rules - and laws - period. Notwithstanding the typically ludicrous fine.

1st June.........big crackdown ( all unlicenced taxi drivers go back to Isaan for a couple of days R & R)

2nd June ....... Police consider that they have trapped all unlicenced taxi drivers. Problem solved.

3rd June........ Rested drivers return, back to work and everything normal again.

• Like 1

They have to forwarn friends of a date, so no treading on toes first. BUT why don't they know already, in that area the police will know all, each area governed, and licences issued. this money on the side and not into Thai treasury--haha and the boss is the Thaksin brother in law????. stinks, until this FRANCHISE is stopped and come clean Thailand will never have a hope. CORRUPTION has to begin with the whole Thai police in the spotlight----I know but the P.M. does not. but can you imagine the police not accepting bribes here - impossible-mouse copulating with an elephant come to mind.