Brit Accident Students Mother Call For Foreign Office To Issue Warnings On Thai Dangerous Roads

webfact

Mother of gap-year teenager who died with two friends in Thai highway coach crash calls on Foreign Office to give better warnings on country's dangerous roads

• Max Boomgaarden-Cook was killed with Bruno Melling-Firth and Conrad Quashie when their coach swung into the path of an oncoming bus
  • Coroner said he would write to Foreign Office to ask it publishes same extensive warnings about bus travel as it does about motorbike travel

By ANTHONY BOND

article-2149074-1340E2A4000005DC-156_634x459.jpg

Tragic: Bruno Melling-Firth, left, Max Boomgaarden-Cook, centre, and Conrad Quashie, right, were killed in a coach crash in Thailand. Their parents want the Foreign Office to issue more warnings about bus travel in the country

The parents of three teenagers killed in a horrific coach crash during their gap year in Thailand have called for the Foreign Office to issue more warnings about the dangers of bus travel in the country.

Bruno Melling-Firth, Conrad Quashie and Max Boomgaarden-Cook were on a coach bound for the northern town of Chiang Mai when it pulled across a six-lane highway into the path of an oncoming bus in the early hours of June 28, 2011.

The students, all 19 and from south London, were just days into a nine-week trip, along with a fourth friend who escaped the accident with minor injuries.

They were on a coach on their way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai when the crash happened in Khlong Khlung, in the Kamphaeng Phet Province, shortly after midnight.

An inquest at Southwark Coroner's Court yesterday heard the boys had not carried out a great deal of research into bus travel in the country, and their parents told the court they had no idea of the dangers.

Full story: http://www.dailymail...el-country.html

-- Mail Online 2012-05-25

footer_n.gif

related topic:

London gap year students killed in Thailand coach crash

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a generic warning that life is filled with danger and death is inevitable?coffee1.gif

Would you say that in an open forum if it was your child who had been killed in a road accident?

Stuff happens in life and while it may feel good to blame others or start causes to assuage the pain of personal loss, in the end it will not alter the inevitable outcome of life. Risk is present in all that we do.
  • Like 1

How about a generic warning that life is filled with danger and death is inevitable?coffee1.gif

Would you say that in an open forum if it was your child who had been killed in a road accident?

Stuff happens in life and while it may feel good to blame others or start causes to assuage the pain of personal loss, in the end it will not alter the inevitable outcome of life. Risk is present in all that we do.

Yes it is present in everything we do, however all this woman wants to happen is that the risks are highlighted so more people are aware that using a bus in Thailand is statistically more dangerous than using a bus in the UK, due to long hours, lax enforcement of laws and regulations, poor safety standards, and a driving test that is far less strict than it should be, in fact does one need the equivalent of a PSV licence to drive passengers in Thailand?

People might come here expecting some level of professionalism from a 'professional' (as in drives for a living rather than based on ability) driver when that is in reality missing, so it is only fair that when people are here they can expect much lower standards than in the UK rather than just 'different' standards.

If a warning saves lives and makes sure people are aware of dangers then its all good, maybe they will learn if the driver is a reckless bell whiff then they should get off the bus and make other arrangements rather than keep playing the lottery they are playing on that journey, it might make people do simple internet searches to find reputable companies that obey the laws and use them to reduce the risk of being killed or maimed because of some poor or reckless driving.

• Like 1

I agree with your follow up comment, but your orginal post, in my opinion, was not necessary. Let's just leave it at that...

• Like 1

There is no doubt that many of the bus drivers are loaded with drugs and drive dangerously. Especially the long haul night drivers. I frequently drive long haul throughout Thailand and wonder why there aren't more accidents.

That is the problem, not the roads.

Nahhhhh, Villagefarang wouldn't say that cos he is one of those weird people who would never follow his own rules but likes to sprout on about total nonsense.

Trying to teach Thais safety is like speaking to a block of cement. Thais do not teach their young people safety as they grow up. I see Thais doing many many unsafe things everyday. Just stand and observe the traffic that flows by. As mentioned, nothing will ever be done to reduce the unsafe driving practices or any other unsafe practice in Thailand. Nobody wants to see their kids end up like that. RIP.

• Like 1

What a creep you are.

To be fair his comment is factually accurate and makes a good point.

It's a great shame that these three children met such an unfortunate end, but let's face it another 100 people the world over have died in road traffic accidents in the time it's taken me to write this post... it's a fact of life.

What manner of FO warning will prevent such accidents from happening?

Western society does it's best to protect us from the realities of life but there are a million ways to die in this world - we can all be sure of one thing and that is we will all die at some point, the likelihood being that we will have little or no control of how or when. The sad irony is that people coming from less Nanny oriented states actually seem to be better prepared to deal with such tragic situations, accepting their loss as part and parcel of life.

The fact is that with a 5 minute google you could read about plenty of such accidents in Thailand and consider yourself forewarned about the dangers of Thai roads. This begs the question that, knowing the dangers, do you then deny your children the opportunity of travelling to Thailand and other such countries because there is an increased chance that they might suffer an accident?

I'd hazard a guess that had the parents been aware of the dangers of Thai roads, and personally I think most people are only too aware that safety standards in developing countries aren't up to Western standards in every aspect not just road safety, the children would still have been allowed to travel to Thailand. You can't live life in a box, scared to do anything because something might happen to you, if you do you're not living.

All a parent can do is prepare their children as best they can for life's unfortunate realities and arm them with the tools to best deal with what faces them in the big, bad world. I'm afraid what actually happens is a gamble as is life, you can only teach your children the game, let them play the cards as best they can and hope for the best.

It's a real shame and my heart goes out to their families but clearly this isn't a healthy path to accepting their loss and starting the grieving process; I'm afraid there is no-one to blame here, no-one is at fault. It's just a sad accident and should be treated as such.

They won't prevent it, but at least the parents might be aware of the dangers and ask their kids to take the plane. As I've read in one article on this case, one mother was saying that, had she known about the (high) risk, she would have advised her kid to book a flight instead.

That's the difference.

My in-laws (Thai) know full well the dangers of traveling 12 hours on the road and most of the time we book a flight for anything that would take that long or that might put us in harms way (on Thai roads).

For those who say nothing will ever change in Thailand, I disagree. I have seen a lot of changes over the years and I have confidence change will continue. It doesn’t happen overnight, not here, not anywhere.

Think of all the things we did or ate as children that society now considers reckless and unacceptable. It took generations to turn us into the weak dependent citizen we are today. Thailand will end up in the same boat but it may take a little longer. They are a developing country after all.

• Like 1

Hmmmm so one argument I see is that they wanted to see the countryside on a night bus. I mean yeah you see the Chiang Mai ring road at 5am. Well worth it. I'm guessing that very few posters if any have taken a bus to Chiang Mai, having lived there I have taken many. Nothing is risk free, deal with it. Another argument is that if there had been some warning (like sone of the joke Government warnings) then there parents could have paid for flights, yes they could. Through every city in SE Asai. People die every day, seriously. Get real. What about the Thai people who died on that bus?? They were in Thailand.

Like I said it's sad that anyone dies but guess what, they do. All the time. Suck it up.

• Like 1

It would be blackly amusing to be a fly on the wall in the case of some of our more "realistic" members who, on a visit to the doctor, heard

"Ah yes, we've got your test results back. Unfortunately you've got colon cancer which has metastized to your liver and lungs. Ah well, Suck it up, shit happens and death is inevitable as they say. Cup of tea?" smile.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Awful analogy. However, being much, much closer to the age of the backpackers than to you that is highly unlikely to happen to me anytime soon. However if it did then I will have hopefully lived a decent life and will be ready to go. Nobody lives forever, you are aware of this I hope.

They were off to Laos and Cambodia. The roads there are much.much worse. More deaths in Thailand because there are more people. Should every country who's roads are not up to British standards have a warning? Where does one stop? I am intrigued.

• Like 1

Awful analogy. However, being much, much closer to the age of the backpackers than to you that is highly unlikely to happen to me anytime soon. However if it did then I will have hopefully lived a decent life and will be ready to go. Nobody lives forever, you are aware of this I hope.

"Thanks Doc. I'm ready to go. Nobody lives forever." Yeah riiiight laugh.png

Edited by mca