New To Thai - Advice Needed

jgomez

Whats going on everybody? The names Jorge, im 22, an American citizen, originated from mexico, work as a contractor in Afghanistan, and would love to live in Thailand.. I like the lifestyle, the people, the culture, scenery... and it's a lot cheaper than my city (San Antonio, Tx)

My vision is to permanently move to Thailand, get married there, start some rubber tree farms, build a house, etc... But I have no Idea of doing that and am hoping some people here could help me out. What should my first steps be?

Thanks for the help

Welcome to TV.welcomeani.gif

Start out by familiarising yourself with the site and its many sub-forums. There is plenty of good advice on here thumbsup.gif (and some not so good coffee1.gif ) and take it one step at a time.

Enjoy!

if you want to plant rubber trees and build a house I suggest you familiarize yourself with land ownership issues first, then you might need to reconsider. All the info is on this site I think if you search for it.

welcomeani.gif And don't tell that you helped killing people in Afghanistan, that may bring some bad feedback from educated Thais.

He said he was a contractor....he could be a plumber for all you know...rolleyes.gif

He my advice come and spend a decent amount of time in Thailand, not as a tourist, before you commit to anything here, you have specific perceptions about Thailand at the moment, which may or may not be true.

At 22 dont be worried about getting married, rubber plantations and houses....go out and sow your seed my son....laugh.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Most have covered it.

Look through the forums for advice. Learn to sort the truth form the bull. Regarding Visas, Mario really knows his stuff. Learn which posters posts not to bother reading.

Research the land laws as in foreigners can't own it. Research what work foreigners can't do/get a WP, visa for.

And welcome and good luck.

Edited by arthurwait

What ever you decide to do, take your time over it, and that includes getting involved with women, other than the ones you pay for instantly.

Sharp learning curves are the norm here and it will take you some time to get the hang of things. You are still very young so no need to make decisions that could cost you dearly.

Most have covered it.

Look through the forums for advice. Learn to sort the truth form the bull. Regarding Visas, Mario really knows his stuff. Learn which posters posts not to bother reading.

Research the land laws as in foreigners can't own it. Research what work foreigners can't do/get a WP, visa for.

There is nothing to research as the regards land laws....basically you can't own land directly in your own name, and before someone starts on the Amity agreement and 1 Rai...can some please tell me exactly how many US citizens have actually ever been granted this ?

Same with working...you work in Thailand you need a WP...not very much to research

I started going to Thailand 9 months ago and started going because a friend said Pattaya was the best thing he'd ever seen in his life... So I went for a couple weeks it was alright. Then I went back again to Bangkok, then to Phuket, now I find myself seeing a girl in Northeast Thailand - Sawang Daen Din. I've seen the culture, I've been to and inside the temples, prayed as a bhuddist (not that I'm bhuddist or anything i just did it cause the girlfriend did it...), ate their spicy food, worked at a rubber tree farm, went to the rubber selling auction near her home. Alltogether from my vacations I've spent about 12 weeks in Thailand and I really do love it there. My plan is to move there. I've already thought about it and thats the route I want to go.

By the way I'm just pencil pusher in Afghanistan. I do paperwork in a DFAC (Dining Facility) and started working here when I was 19. Typing from Afghanistan now.

biggrin.png .

So whats my first step? or the best thing to do now?

I started going to Thailand 9 months ago and started going because a friend said Pattaya was the best thing he'd ever seen in his life... So I went for a couple weeks it was alright. Then I went back again to Bangkok, then to Phuket, now I find myself seeing a girl in Northeast Thailand - Sawang Daen Din. I've seen the culture, I've been to and inside the temples, prayed as a bhuddist (not that I'm bhuddist or anything i just did it cause the girlfriend did it...), ate their spicy food, worked at a rubber tree farm, went to the rubber selling auction near her home. Alltogether from my vacations I've spent about 12 weeks in Thailand and I really do love it there. My plan is to move there. I've already thought about it and thats the route I want to go.

By the way I'm just pencil pusher in Afghanistan. I do paperwork in a DFAC (Dining Facility) and started working here when I was 19. Typing from Afghanistan now.

biggrin.png .

Send time actually living here for 3 months or preferably more on tourist visas and see what it's like actually living here as opposed to a holiday and what it's like when you need to earn money, save etc.

Most have covered it.

There is nothing to research as the regards land laws....basically you can't own land directly in your own name, and before someone starts on the Amity agreement and 1 Rai...can some please tell me exactly how many US citizens have actually ever been granted this ?

Same with working...you work in Thailand you need a WP...not very much to research

He wants to run a rubber farm as a business if he can he will need land somehow and register a company there's a lot of paperwork involved in that.

If you are serious about living in Thailand a Thai Language course should be your first step, with an Education Visa.....Lean Thai and at the same time have time to check out other things.....

You will be lost without it........guaranteed.

biggrin.png .

Send time actually living here for 3 months or preferably more on tourist visas and see what it's like actually living here as opposed to a holiday and what it's like when you need to earn money, save etc.

Wish I could spend more time in Thailand but my work only allows me 4 vacations a year.. and 21 days per vacation. And I can't leave my job yet (probably june 2013), no way I could get as good of a salary in the states as in Afghanistan.

Ok let me say the other alternative......... What..if...I..put the farm in the lady's name...... How could that work out?

If you are serious about living in Thailand a Thai Language course should be your first step, with an Education Visa.....Lean Thai and at the same time have time to check out other things.....

You will be lost without it........guaranteed.

Resetta stone? I work in Afghanistan and can only learn through books/online courses/cds here... Whats the best online course or software out there now? I can get a tutor every time I visit Thailand. In her home city no one speaks english so that'll help/force me learn Thai.

I hate to be the one but. . .

Come over here and live with your TGF together full-time for at least a year, three would be better, spending as little as possible per month on your life together and without giving her more than a monthly shopping allowance (say 5K per month, maybe 10K if you're living large) before making any large "investments".

I'm not saying you're necessarily one of them, but thousands of guys buy land and houses for their sweetheart and end up on their own and broke.

Much better to come and live here single, learn the language and get local knowledge before looking for a long-term SO.

What..if...I..put the farm in the lady's name...... How could that work out?

That would be a wonderful idea. I'm sure the 'lady' would love it. smile.png

mmm Yeah I'm sure she would... What is the other alternative? I dont see anything else except marriage and putting it in her name. Can I become a citizen? Dual Citizenship? I read somewhere I could get a house & 1 rai of land... but I want a lot more than 1 rai of land... maybe 40..50.. rai of land maybe even 70.

Ok let me say the other alternative......... What..if...I..put the farm in the lady's name...... How could that work out?

With a statement like that, you are in serious danger of being branded a troll.

Do NOT buy a farm as a gift for a woman that you have known for such a short time, that would be extremely stupid.

Have no doubt that it WOULD be a gift and you are almost certain to have none of your "investment" returned

biggrin.png .

Wish I could spend more time in Thailand but my work only allows me 4 vacations a year.. and 21 days per vacation. And I can't leave my job yet (probably june 2013), no way I could get as good of a salary in the states as in Afghanistan.

It's worked out disastreously for many men before you. You maybe the next in line to lose everything to a Thai girl you maybe not.

You need to spend more time in Thailand and with this girl to know whether they are right for you.

Don't think about investing in something you can never own here until you've lived here and known the girl for a few years at least.

Come and teach English or something first.

Most have covered it.

While the Amity Treaty allows for U.S. citizens to open a Thai company without the need for Thai shareholders, it also very clearly states that an Amity company cannot own land - not even 1 rai.

The only legal way I know of for a foreigner to own land is by investing more than 40 million baht in BOI approved investments (new condos, bonds etc), which allows for ownership of up to 1 rai of land. But buying the land still requires ministerial approval, and I don't know if such approval would be given for normal, albeit wealthy people (I'm sure that Toyota and the likes would get approval if they wanted to build a new factory somewere)

Sophon

I am getting a sniff of a troll

Just starting??

I got the first sniff with "start some rubber tree farms" in the first post, heard the trip-trap-trip-trap during his second post with "then to Phuket, now I find myself seeing a girl in Northeast Thailand", and was totally convinced by "What..if...I..put the farm in the lady's name" (complete with added suspense).

• Like 2

40 Million Baht!? bah.gif That'd take 11-12 years for me at my current salary!

Ok how about duel citizenship?

In case you don't understand, many people are saying they don't believe you are really this stupid.

Thailand has set up its laws to prevent foreigners from doing what you say you want to do.

There are illegal ways to try, but they are very expensive and risky.

Bottom line - this is a bad plan unless you enjoy giving away your money to thieves and liars.

Think about your true final goals, not the intermediate steps you think will get you there or the plans put into your head by your "girlfriend" and start from the beginning explain what you would like to accomplish here in Thailand.

Of if you are really a troll please stop wasting our time.