Death Trap – Guest Houses In Chiang Mai

Beetlejuice

Last Thursday I met with a cousin from the States in the town who was visiting and would be in Chiang Mai for two days and nights only.

During the evening we would be doing some serious drinking and decided to book a guesthouse room for the night.

So my cousin and I began hunting around for a suitable guesthouse room. On our search we were appalled by the lack of safety standards in the guesthouses and in most cases these places are serious death traps, just major disasters waiting to happen.

The worst we saw were some small guesthouses situated in the soi at the side of MacDonald’s by the moat.

The guesthouses that we saw consist of about 3 stories; on the first floor are reception and one room, with a single wooden staircase leading up to the higher floors. The second floor has a small lobby with 3 adjoining small rooms. Each room has a small double bed, a TV and a small cupboard, with an attached smelly and dilapidated shower WC closet. We noticed a putrefying smell of mould and stagnant water.

There are no windows or doors, except the main door to each room, whatsoever in any of the lobbies or rooms, air is circulated from an air-conditioning unit in the main room and an extractor fan in the shower closet. The ceiling is made up of asbestos type tiles on a metal frame.

There were no fire extinguishers or fire alarms that we could see. Only lots of in your face no smoking sign stickers that were everywhere, including the rooms. We thought no wonder the owners are so concerned about no smoking, as it would only take one bit of carelessness with a cigarette and the whole place could be up in flames within minutes. The main door entrance is made of steel and toughened glass that automatically locks when the door shuts and to open this from the inside involves pressing an electric switch that releases the catch.

All this adds up to one hell of a death trap. In the case of a fire there would be absolutely no means of escape, especially if on one of the top floors considering the easy combustible wooden staircases, ceiling tiles and if the electric security system failed on the main door it would be virtually impossible to break through the steel and toughened glass.

In the end my cousin and I went and stayed at a proper hotel. It cost us over 3 times the price, but it was worthwhile for peace of mind.

There are probably a few decent well-equipped guesthouses in Chiang Mai that we didn’t see, but I do advise first checking out these premises before booking a room and putting your lives at risk.

post-110219-0-68631800-1338044299_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

In the end my cousin and I went and stayed at a proper hotel. It cost us over 3 times the price, but it was worthwhile for peace of mind

Why didn't you invite him to stay at your place? I mean it was only for two nights. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

In the end my cousin and I went and stayed at a proper hotel. It cost us over 3 times the price, but it was worthwhile for peace of mind

Why didn't you invite him to stay at your place? I mean it was only for two nights. rolleyes.gif

Yes, I did and no I didn`t.

I do not live close to the main drag of Chaing Mai and on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals, so we thought it better to stay the night.

The following morning I brought my cousin back home to meet the family and he stayed at my place on the second night. The next morning I took him to Chiang Mai airport where he departed for Bangkok, then the next day he flew back to the States.

Hope that answers your questions and if you want to know exactly what we done with the ladies of ill repute, I can`t remember because we were too pissed at the time, but for a small fee of only 400 baht I can send you some pictures.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Quit your griping. You're in Chiang Mai, not New York City. Were you expecting great safety standards? You're looking to pay what, 400 baht. Come on...

Not everybody is as bright and as logical as you.

These were only my observations and maybe useful for tourists or those first visiting Chiang Mai, who would not realise that are are placing themselves at great risk staying in a cheap guesthouse.

The warning is here and you can stick it anywhere you like, if you believe it`s just a gripe and worthless.

• Like 1

"Why not stay in a decent hotel instead of a shit pit?"

You can stay in a "luxury resort" and still get done in by the stupid! Like the 91 who died in the Royal Jomtien Resort fire in 1997.

It was discovered that hotel staff had locked emergency exits to prevent people from leaving without paying. They found bodies piled-up near the locked emergency doors.

See http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/hotel-blamed-as-fire-kills-78-at-thai-beach-resort-1250217.html

Edited by Baloo22
  • Like 1

on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals

OK I'll ask..........did it happen?rolleyes.gif

Well, the intentions were there, but I’m afraid the booze took it toll, but we did archive half of what we planned.

on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals

I cant see it myself, thai girls here don't like hairy men, its too abrasive on their skin

I cant see it myself, thai girls here don't like hairy men, its too abrasive on their skin

Can you supply proof of this extreme claim.

The OP was being a bit alarmist here about something that is to most obvious and widespread.

You have to realise that certainly within the old city area, these buildings were built in the year dot. Even jerry built properties now dont have proper government control, few if any have planning and building regulations.

So these old buildings were more than likely at one time, family houses, and as the city became a tourist destination, many converted them themselves to shops, guesthouses, restaurants..

There is no one controlling any aspect of health and safety so they do it, and if a guest dies....well more than likely its because they jumped from the window; not because of dodgy electrics or botulism.

But you will find the larger professionally built hotels and condos have a much better health and safety standard (not great though), and these places need to be registered which in turn can involve the ministry of public health.

I dont have a hotel or new building but i have had to fulfil a list of criteria from the MPH which briefly involved fire extinguishers, first aid facilities, pest control easures, staff qualifications.

So these Bodies are making a start, albeit a tiny one to try and lift the general standards but they are a long way behind the West.

In the meantime, live with it and remember you pay for what you get........you pay your money and you make your choice......but headline statements like that belong in the "red tops" (English gutter press)

You could have stayed at Downtown Inn Hotel.

Plus you pay for what you get it you not much you will not get a good place.

There are plenty of places to stay at a reasonable price, including Hotels.

• Like 1

"Why not stay in a decent hotel instead of a shit pit?"

You can stay in a "luxury resort" and still get done in by the stupid! Like the 91 who died in the Royal Jomtien Resort fire in 1997.

It was discovered that hotel staff had locked emergency exits to prevent people from leaving without paying. They found bodies piled-up near the locked emergency doors.

See http://www.independe...rt-1250217.html

Interesting article; especially the Prime Minister of the time referring to Pattaya as 'Thailands greatest evil'. One is left to ponder what punishment was handed down to the Hotel owners....or should I say how much did they have to pay to be exonerated?

I do not live close to the main drag of Chaing Mai and on the first night we fancied getting hopelessly pissed, doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals, so we thought it better to stay the night.

So you were quite prepared to spend loads of money on beer and birds but only a couple of hundred baht on a bed?

The internet is a wonderful thing and with a little bit of forward planning you could have found and booked something that suited your pocket and safety concerns. Ahhh but forward planning in Thailand? There lies the problem laugh.png

Regarding statistics , maybe we ask input from our statistician in residence, Kn Priceless....

Any figures from Thailand on:

Guest deaths in guest house [or in to/fro transit] from :

1) Fire

2) Alcohol being the cause of accident/death

3) Those contacting HIV from , and let me put it this way, "doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals"

Really would like to know so I don't put myself at deaths door by being non informed

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Regarding statistics , maybe we ask input from our statistician in residence, Kn Priceless....

Any figures from Thailand on:

Guest deaths in guest house [or in to/fro transit] from :

1) Fire

2) Alcohol being the cause of accident/death

3) Those contacting HIV from , and let me put it this way, "doing some unmentionable things with women of ill repute and generally behaving like animals"

Really would like to know so I don't put myself at deaths door by being non informed

Nice one ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually I think this is a valid consideration. Few travelers on their first trip think they will be locked in a firetrap.

and few people think they can get HIV from having unprotected sex just 1 time....

worried about fire escapes in thailand? for god's sake, the OP (or his cousin) needs to get a grip. 400 thb won't buy you safety. you get through the night and live to see another day. youre in thailand!

and its "razzmatazz"...

Edited by samsara

Actually I think this is a valid consideration. Few travelers on their first trip think they will be locked in a firetrap.

and few people think they can get HIV from having unprotected sex just 1 time....

worried about fire escapes in thailand? for god's sake, the OP (or his cousin) needs to get a grip. 400 thb won't buy you safety. you get through the night and live to see another day. youre in thailand!

and its "razzmatazz"...

Yes and this is why it is important to stress the dangers and bring it to people's attention.

• Like 1