Where To Invest In Rental Property In Pattaya ?

Piet969

..... many of the more strident "Never buy ... " just rent in Thailand crowd don't own much of anything anywhere.

I wonder how one can tell that?

Just my experience with those I know after being in Thailand for 32 years.

OP,

You'll never get useful information on boards like this one about property in Thailand. It's almost like arguing about religion.

Some are devoted renters, others like the psychological effect of owning.

A curious effect is many of the more strident "Never buy ... " just rent in Thailand crowd don't own much of anything anywhere.

A new neighbor like a karaoke bar, motorcycle repair shop, metal crusher, factory or developer can ruin your property value overnight.

What are you going to do? Call the cops?

OP,

You'll never get useful information on boards like this one about property in Thailand. It's almost like arguing about religion.

A curious effect is many of the more strident "Never buy ... " just rent in Thailand crowd don't own much of anything anywhere.

A new neighbor like a karaoke bar, motorcycle repair shop, metal crusher, factory or developer can ruin your property value overnight.

Not buy in a place where that is likely to happen. I have never had it happen in my +30 years in Thailand.

I would point out that what seems like a great return of 800 to 1.7 is slightly better than compounded 6 percent intrest and does not include HOA fees, maintence , transfer tax ect. Point being their are plenty of other options besides renting or investing in housing to make an income similar to 6 percent. Plenty of government or corporate 10 year bonds as an example.

OP,

Not buy in a place where that is likely to happen. I have never had it happen in my +30 years in Thailand.

Buying a place to live? Ok. If you plan on staying 10 years or more. Just be aware it can go belly up in a split second.

A friend of mine opened a beautiful hotel in Phuket. The neighbor, a cop, opened a karaoke(plays till 7AM) rendering half the rooms useless. Millions lost and he dare not complain...

Investing in rental property in Thailand? I think you would be taking more risk than necessary.

I have a portfolio in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket and generate enough to keep the fridge full. But the only way it works is if you are debt free and have a reliable agent to manage the properties.

I have money in the bank and in other paper investments and they generate enough to keep the fridge full, pay my rent, and cover regular trips to the Hilton buffet also, along with all my other monthly expenses.

I do this without needing any agents, and without paying any commission to anyone.

I also do this without infringing any laws anywhere on the planet, and entirely in my own name.

YMMV

Hilton buffet?

i have been there four times in the last seven days

i never saw a large yellow member.....

I have a portfolio in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket and generate enough to keep the fridge full. But the only way it works is if you are debt free and have a reliable agent to manage the properties.

I have money in the bank and in other paper investments and they generate enough to keep the fridge full, pay my rent, and cover regular trips to the Hilton buffet also, along with all my other monthly expenses.

I do this without needing any agents, and without paying any commission to anyone.

I also do this without infringing any laws anywhere on the planet, and entirely in my own name.

YMMV

Hilton buffet?

You can recognize Darrel when he is leaving the buffet. He packs his cheeks like a squirrel.

• Like 1

Rather than buy several condo's why not investigate one family house with private pool.

There are many on the market at much reduced prices. There is a market for professionals

working on yearly contracts looking looking to rent a family home long term.

These people are more likely to look after your property.

Navy boys on a shore leave sexathon tend not to in my experience.

Hilton buffet?

Four times in a week?

I'm guessing that you were the guy laying flat on his back getting a cardiac massage. Not surprised you didn't notice me. smile.png

As usual, the 3 most important variables for a property are: location, location, location! Then comes quality, you can find a lot of cheap stuff springing up and you have a lot of less-reputable areas where it seems it's constant drinking party among older Europeans.

I've sent you a PM with a suggestions.

Hilton buffet?

Four times in a week?

I'm guessing that you were the guy laying flat on his back getting a cardiac massage. Not surprised you didn't notice me. smile.png

i have a friend who goes every day

including Sundays........

OP,

Buying a place to live? Ok. If you plan on staying 10 years or more. Just be aware it can go belly up in a split second.

A friend of mine opened a beautiful hotel in Phuket. The neighbor, a cop, opened a karaoke(plays till 7AM) rendering half the rooms useless. Millions lost and he dare not complain...

Investing in rental property in Thailand? I think you would be taking more risk than necessary.

I agree it is risky but it is risky just about everywhere. In my case, and I acknowledge I was lucky. I cashed out most of my real estate holdings in the US in 2006 and ploughed those funds into Thai real estate the same week of the Thaksin coup. At the time the USD/Baht rate was about 40:1. So over the past few years I benefited from an exchange rate bonus as well as avoiding a drastic US downturn. BTW, another bonus about Thai real estate ... there is virtually no real estate tax.

So could that reverse, I'm sure it could. Everything financially related runs in cycles. But I don't view the US real estate or political situiation any less risky than the Thai market, especially if Obozo is re-elected and the debt ceiling keeps rising.

"Rather than buy several condo's why not investigate one family house with private pool.

There are many on the market at much reduced prices....."

Use a little common sense and ask why all these houses are available at depressed prices with just about zero chance of appreciating in the near future. Remember you can't own land here and could easily fall prey to some scheme to buy these houses. Could you be a realtor or trying to dump your house?

• 2 months later...

YMMV

Hilton buffet?

Darrel obviously left with his pants on.

Why target the tourist economy, go for the domestic market....as already suggested, small Thai rooms that rent for 2k or 3k a month....it works and even when there is a tsunami, airport closure or bird flu...they are still full....and you dont have to be Thai to do this.

This might not be a bad idea. Low initial cost to get into. Of course you won't make a lot of money without getting several units. The percentage profit may be good, but total amount will be small. Typically the units are simple and often don't even have air con. Although those can be installed externally without too much building mods. You have all seen the heat exchangers out on the balcoy or bolted to the walls.

OP,

I am 55 and don't own anything. If you mean houses or property. But I do own a fair amount of stocks and bonds and other financial instruments. I get over $34,000 a year at the moment from my dividends and interest and that is starting to compound nicely. I should get some social security money when I get into my 60's so I think I have an excellent chance of not living or dying broke. I own my 1997 buick Le sabre. I have 0.0 debt. Credit score is >800. My net worth is shy of One Million USD but getting to that quickly. Have I missed out by not buying all these years? Perhaps. But I also was able to easily move or take engineering contract jobs anywhere in the USA as needed. I was not tied to a piece of property that would have been "below water" as they say at least twice. I have been able to easily mix work with fun and have gone to Thailand 13 times since 2004. No headaches of losing things. No worry about neighbors ruining my property value, lawsuits, HOAs etc Since I started going to Thailand I really do embrace some of the facets of buddhism. Less Craving, les desire = less discomfort and more happiness. As I get older I am looking for the best way to get my little homestead, and it looks like this current financial house price depression is going to let me get a small modest place in florida near the coast very very cheaply. Of course, still keeping my eye on punching out to Thailand all together

Why target the tourist economy, go for the domestic market....as already suggested, small Thai rooms that rent for 2k or 3k a month....it works and even when there is a tsunami, airport closure or bird flu...they are still full....and you dont have to be Thai to do this.

This might not be a bad idea. Low initial cost to get into. Of course you won't make a lot of money without getting several units. The percentage profit may be good, but total amount will be small. Typically the units are simple and often don't even have air con. Although those can be installed externally without too much building mods. You have all seen the heat exchangers out on the balcoy or bolted to the walls.

Not so sure how feasible it would be to buy a few units. As far as I'm aware the low cost Thai apartments are built by Thais for investment rental income for capital return in approx ten years; doubt if they would sell individual apartments. In Pattaya (Dark Side), aside from the land purchase, to build Thai style apartments for rental at around 2,000/2,500 p.m. currently costs approx 210,000 each to build, including plumbing and wiring.

If you have the time and effort to work at it, then houses for the holiday rental market is a good earning opportunity. I know quite a few people who are returning between 5000 and 8000 baht per night for 3 and 4 bedroom houses doing short time holiday rentals.

This would only really suit people who are here full time and can manage/look after their properties. The bookings and upfront credit card payments are handled online, quite simple once the initial data is uploaded, but you need to be here to look after Cleaning, Laundry, Pool Maint etc. Definitely not for everybody.!

LennyW: Do you have any online sites or agents you'd recommend?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

Have a look here, the first two on that page happen to be people i know ....... http://www.villarenters.com/searchresults.aspx?q=e10dc6eb-d628-4554-ae7f-b8c5f641a11a

This is another along the same lines....... http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Thailand/r63.htm

And another.......... http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/thailand/

Like i said - big returns but you would be better to be here to look after everything.

YMMV

of course you have a work permit?

If you have the time and effort to work at it, then houses for the holiday rental market is a good earning opportunity. I know quite a few people who are returning between 5000 and 8000 baht per night for 3 and 4 bedroom houses doing short time holiday rentals.

This would only really suit people who are here full time and can manage/look after their properties. The bookings and upfront credit card payments are handled online, quite simple once the initial data is uploaded, but you need to be here to look after Cleaning, Laundry, Pool Maint etc. Definitely not for everybody.!

5000 and 8000 Baht a night, every night?

5000 and 8000 Baht a night, every night?

Every night they are occupied, yes, some much higher!!. Obviously depends on occupancy, but one of the ones i mentioned earlier runs at around 70% occupancy, so great returns if you work at it.

Edited by LennyW