Republic Of Ireland Euro 2012

salty

Rather than be only offering an opinion from time to time on England (15 other nations are taking part) I am opening a thread on our guys. After the 1-0 win on Saturday over Bosnia & H they went to Italy yesterday for a weeks training camp. They are due to play a friendly next Monday against Hungary before going into action on Sunday June 10th against Croatia. With Spain and Italy also in the group we are the outsiders and it would not be a surprise if we do not qualify for the 1/4 finals.

But hey we made it and it will give the country a lift for the next few weeks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very tricky group...but best of luck to you.

I see a result against Croatia in your first game as being vital, with that, you might be able to carry the momentum through and pick up some points against Italy and Spain.

Lose it, and you'll be joining England on the plane home.

Meanwhile back at the ranch a 5-0 win last night in a holds barred friendly v Tuscan semi pros. Earthquake epicentre about 90 miles from training camp. Minutes silence before last nights game for poor unfortunates that died.

have the Irish found this country called Polkraine yet? laugh.png

NAh , they're still lookin for spotland.giggle.gif

biggrin.png No you can't say that either. Any attempt at humour if you are English is apparently arrogance! rolleyes.gif We also can't even suggest we might do well or that would be deemed as having a superiority complex.

'Bout time they changed that tired worn out old record isn't it?

This will be of interest to all you RoI fans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18299713

Whether it will happen, and whether you will end in a group of three or with Estonia called up in Italy's place remains to be seen. I would guess if they do withdraw, you'll be facing Estonia, runners-up in Italy's group. A precedence has been set for that with Denmark being called up to replace Yugoslavia in 1990.

A very tricky group...but best of luck to you.

I see a result against Croatia in your first game as being vital, with that, you might be able to carry the momentum through and pick up some points against Italy and Spain.

Lose it, and you'll be joining England on the plane home.

Yes, good luck to the Republic of Ireland, they always do so well for a country of only four and a half million people, unlike Scotland, they always seem to get a good manager.

If anyone can be bothered to look it up, todays bbc 5 live football daily podcast is an absolute gem, paddy bonner, aldridge and oleary, chat candidly about their Irish national teams days, with recordings of jack charlton thrown in as well.

biggrin.png No you can't say that either. Any attempt at humour if you are English is apparently arrogance! rolleyes.gif We also can't even suggest we might do well or that would be deemed as having a superiority complex.

The Irish detest you so much they don't even answer.

The Irish detest you so much they don't even answer.

The Irish may have been called many things , but 'boring boring' is definitely not one of them.

Ps u checked that podcast out, defo well worth a listen.

Greetings from sunny Arklow.

Foley being dropped is no big deal, Trap is getting paid a lot of cash and thats whats hes there to do.

I am praying that he drops Doyle and puts in Walters, and puts in McClean for McGeady.

First match vs Croatia will decide a lot of things, whoever loses can pack their bags. Croatia will go at this hammer and tongs to win, we may have to defend a lot. I expect Spain to turn over Italy.

Our goalkeeping coach has said today that Shay Given will be ready. If hes not we are in the didgereedoos.

ireland's fans welcome the england team to krakow. fantastic.

And i wonder what your comments would have been if that had been the Irish team arriving to that welcome from English fans?

Thats a bit of an own goal there mate that i reckon will be jumped all over, well what with your blatent anti English views.

And i wonder what your comments would have been if that had been the Irish team arriving to that welcome from English fans?

Thats a bit of an own goal there mate that i reckon will be jumped all over, well what with your blatent anti English views.

why would the england fans boo the irish team though? because the irish occupied and colonised london and kent for 400 years?

people can jump all they like. i'm half-irish so why would i care?

why would the england fans boo the irish team though? because the irish occupied and colonised london and kent for 400 years?

people can jump all they like. i'm half-irish so why would i care?

Fair enough mate but why don't you just stick it in a politics in football thread as i suggested yesterday?

I could actually boo them though for the years i have had to put up with them belly aching about us being arrogant everytime we dare to suggest an English side might be good and win the match. Its a complete bore and they should change the record.

Edited by carmine

Greetings from sunny Arklow.

Foley being dropped is no big deal, Trap is getting paid a lot of cash and thats whats hes there to do.

I am praying that he drops Doyle and puts in Walters, and puts in McClean for McGeady.

First match vs Croatia will decide a lot of things, whoever loses can pack their bags. Croatia will go at this hammer and tongs to win, we may have to defend a lot. I expect Spain to turn over Italy.

Our goalkeeping coach has said today that Shay Given will be ready. If hes not we are in the didgereedoos.

spongeman, I was wondering where you were. Ireland looked much more of a threat when Walters came on against Hungary. I suspect both he and McClean will play at some stage on Sunday. I agree if we lose this one slim will have left town.

ireland's fans welcome the england team to krakow. fantastic.

Really , u think fantastic? I think unnecesary rather unpleasant and a totally unsporting thing to do,. and it shows what of the irish FOOTBALL fans? Nothing positive IMO,

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Well I was going to add an interesting little titbit, barring one 'exhibition 'match against the Brazil at the emirates ROI havent been beaten outside of Ireland in 5 years!!!!

• Like 1

I feel that Croatia will have us on the back foot for a large portion of the game on Sunday. They will see it as a must win game, where the general feeling here is any result will do. I remember when they played us in Dublin a while back and should have had a few penalties.

I am beginning to get a really bad feeling that we might not score in any of the three games.......I hope I am wrong. Its not like the world cup where you can get one or two average teams in your group.

In the Euros nobody can hear you scream............