Deal Sought For Accused Driver: Hit-And-Run Accident In Bangkok

webfact

Deal sought for accused driver

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The lawyer for a motorist accused of being involved in a hit-and-run accident 10 days ago has met police to ask that they delay a request for him to testify.

Chonlawit Hiranchatchawan was the driver of a Mini Cooper allegedly involved in the crash. His lawyer Kerdphol Kaewkerd, who also represents Hong Zae Li, the owner of the car and Chonlawit's grandmother, met police to discuss legal matters related to the crash.

Assumption University student Chotika Prasarnsophon, 22 and her friends were injured by the Mini Cooper while helping victims of an earlier accident on May 19. News of the incident spread online until police found the suspect's car on Sunday.

Kerdphol said Chonlawit drove back home after watching football with his friends. Driving at high speed, Chonlawit was shocked when he saw two cars parking, so he swerved to the right and hit Chotika and her friends. He fled the scene without helping because he was panicked, and told no one.

Following news reports about the accident, he confessed to his grandmother that he had hit the victims. Hong assigned Kerdphol to meet police and visit the victims, to say they would be responsible for them. Hong and Chonlawit were upcountry but confirmed that they would meet police, the lawyer said.

He said Chonlawit was 17 when the incident occurred, and could not have had a driving licence.

Pol Lt-Colonel Natthapol Kominchart, the deputy superintendent of Express Way Traffic Control Police Centre 1, said he believed the two did not intend to escape. Police would accuse Chonlawit of neglectful driving causing people to be severely injured and fleeing the scene. The suspect may face jail of up to three years and/or a fine up to Bt6,000.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-29

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money talks in Thailand,no licence,so not insured,left the scene of the accident (but it's not hit and run because the they did not intend to escape). Three years in jail cheesy.gifcheesy.gif or 6000 baht fine, I wonder which one he'll have?.

There is nothing that says the car wasn't insured. It actually states they intend to charge him with fleeing the scene (hit & run). Facing 3-years and/or a fine is actually not all that different than consequences you'll find in the west for adults. In many places this kid would still not be considered an adult.

Edited by Nisa

Yingluk wants to reduce corruption - well here's a start. Remove from the police the right to make extra-judicial financial settlements to criminal cases. Of course, she may have to increase their pay as commissions on these are a major source of their income.
exactly.who decides whether to charge offenders and what penalty to seek? In Uk and USA it would be the CPS or DA in thailand the old boys in brown.there.s a comforting thought for victims and justice

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

"News of the incident spread online until police found the suspect's car on Sunday."

"Hong assigned Kerdphol to meet police and visit the victims, to say they would be responsible for them."

The police didn't need to search for the car. I am sure eventually Chonlawit's conscience would have forced him to give himself up and confess.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nowhere was it mentioned that Chonlawit took responsibiltiy or was sorry for the injuries he caused.

And...What were granny and the lawyer doing upcountry together?wink.png

• Like 1

Money talks in Thailand,no licence,so not insured,left the scene of the accident (but it's not hit and run because the they did not intend to escape). Three years in jail cheesy.gifcheesy.gif or 6000 baht fine, I wonder which one he'll have?.

Insurance doesn't matter in respect to responsibility. Granny is the owne rand is ultimately liable for the damage caused by the vehicle if the grandchild had possession. The only way she might be able to reduce liability is if she said her grandchild had stolen the vehicle. Considering the fact that granny says she will take responsibility, again insurance is not an issue. Granny will pay a considerable sum now. If the grandchild is a student at Assumption and granny was able to provide an expensive vehicle, I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that granny will have a big purse. Money won't be an issue. In respect to the driver, it is highly unlikely there would be a prison sentence. 1st time offenders (if this is the case), that are in university, that are minors and that are capable of compensating victims do not go to jail.

There is nothing that says the car wasn't insured. It actually states they intend to charge him with fleeing the scene (hit & run). Facing 3-years and/or a fine is actually not all that different than consequences you'll find in the west for adults. In many places this kid would still not be considered an adult.

But any insurance company will void their policy when the driver is unlicensed or drunk.
  • Like 2

Does your insurance policy cover unlicensed under-age driving? Are you going to tell us that in many countries he's old enough to drive (again) but still claim he has no responsibility as a minor (again), while ignoring that whoever gave him use of the vehicle assumes that responsibility.

• Like 1

Since this is Thailand it will be handled in the usual Thai way the responsible party will pay off the victims and sonny boy will go scot free. In some ways better then the US as the victim will be taken care of without having to go to court for claims, which can take years to conclude

I wonder how these people can be classified as human beings seen their natural behaviour when committing these sort of offences. I feel overwhelming disdain for these people.

The guy didn't just flee the scene without offering help but changed his number plate according to other sources. What I see that these people are immature in mind. Taking no responsibility is the part of life here. As the title says "deal sought for accused hit and run driver", hmmm, I can accept only one deal, a long long prison sentence and a very hefty fine. Am I dreaming??sad.png

• Like 1

The guy didn't just flee the scene without offering help but changed his number plate according to other sources.

Changing the number plate would be grandma's decision, being the owner of the car and all. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

The guy didn't just flee the scene without offering help but changed his number plate according to other sources.

Changing the number plate would be grandma's decision, being the owner of the car and all. rolleyes.gif

Nice, grandma as "role model" sad.png

Nice, grandma as "role model" sad.png

81 year old Hong Zae Li - I bet she bakes great cookies too. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy

Since this is Thailand it will be handled in the usual Thai way the responsible party will pay off the victims and sonny boy will go scot free. In some ways better then the US as the victim will be taken care of without having to go to court for claims, which can take years to conclude

The way this kid immediately headed for the hills leads me to believe that he may become a successful van driver

Fines in Thailand are a joke. Even for those on minimum wage, 6000 Baht is not enough of a fine for something like this. Increasing the fines will give people more incentive to be honest and careful. Can't hurt anyone to increase them.

I read on other articles (too lazy to search) that it's a 200 Baht fine for carrying a concealed weapon. Ridiculous!

Put him in the same cells as Moo Ham and that girl on the tollway with no licence that ploughed into the van.

Oh wait......................................................................................

yeahhhhhh unfortunately those are not in jail ....and never been and will never be .... if you have the right connection you can do whatever you want .... am sick of those brainless people .

• Like 1

1. driving without driving license

2. driving a motorvehicle whilst not being 18 years

3. Causing an accident and fleeing the scene

4. Refusing to assist injured people along the road, not only those from the first accident but particularly those that he hit and seriously injured

5. overspeed (that he admitted)

6. wreckless driving

OK for 6,000 THB and everybody is happy again... Forget the jail sentence if police wants to be happy!

What sort of a police deal is that? Yingluck: your consideration is urgently requested at least if you are serious with what you're preaching! High time to get this power of settling deals amongst parties out of hand of the police. Remember the Porsche Cayenne-cutting-in-two of a young Lao lady studying in Thailand... a Wai and some millions of THB from the culprit's daddy were enough to forget the loss of this lady's life (probably illegal in Thailand).

Does your insurance policy cover unlicensed under-age driving? Are you going to tell us that in many countries he's old enough to drive (again) but still claim he has no responsibility as a minor (again), while ignoring that whoever gave him use of the vehicle assumes that responsibility.

Hit and run is ALWAYS in the fault. This is mentioned in every insurance polis. But if the insured party do not claim the assistance from the insurance company (for financial settlement), the insurance company will not keep records of this fact as it is not existing in their data... (no claim)