Deal Sought For Accused Driver: Hit-And-Run Accident In Bangkok

webfact

Can you believe that occurances similar to this are manipulated by money and BIB more often than you hear about BUT when 'Lady Gaga' mentions Fake Rolex shopping in Thailand, they get indignant. There is a poor girl it critical condition and they want to just buy her off with money and let the young driver walk around freely thinking that 'grandma' can just pay-off his lack of concern for other's pain that he causes.

I hope Gaga (or somebody else) will tweet to the world about Thailands 'way of dealing with' situations like this.......

As quoted on the other blogs my wife's nephew was in the back of the Mitsubishi that crashed into the Mercedes fast asleep.

He has had major surgery and his family are poor. Nothing has been paid for his healthcare.

He's discharged from the private hospital home and the last we heard he had locked himself in his room. He's a lovely boy now truly damaged

And all both these hisos can think to do if save their miserable skins and flee the scene of a serious accident. The Mercedes driver was drunk Sunday morning but came to the police a day later on Monday morning after he had sobered up

Very sad and I hope is able to fully recover both physically and mentally.

But am curious, are you saying there is outstanding bills for his healthcare?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver probably fleed the scene because he had been drinking and now negociations are going on to see how much money is required to get the driver off the hook or a substancially reduced jail sentence.

This is more likely the case.

The driver probably fleed the scene because he had been drinking and now negociations are going on to see how much money is required to get the driver off the hook or a substancially reduced jail sentence.

Bangkok Post also reported no driving license, but grandparents permitted him to drive!!!

Edited by simple1

Can you believe that occurances similar to this are manipulated by money and BIB more often than you hear about BUT when 'Lady Gaga' mentions Fake Rolex shopping in Thailand, they get indignant. There is a poor girl it critical condition and they want to just buy her off with money and let the young driver walk around freely thinking that 'grandma' can just pay-off his lack of concern for other's pain that he causes.

I hope Gaga (or somebody else) will tweet to the world about Thailands 'way of dealing with' situations like this.......

As quoted on the other blogs my wife's nephew was in the back of the Mitsubishi that crashed into the Mercedes fast asleep.

He has had major surgery and his family are poor. Nothing has been paid for his healthcare.

He's discharged from the private hospital home and the last we heard he had locked himself in his room. He's a lovely boy now truly damaged

And all both these hisos can think to do if save their miserable skins and flee the scene of a serious accident. The Mercedes driver was drunk Sunday morning but came to the police a day later on Monday morning after he had sobered up

Yes and he needs further operations for his teeth or where they used to be. I think 50000 baht was offered for healthcare to those in the car by the insurers but they've been in a private hospital and the overall bill is far higher.

Thanks for giving me the link to the other blog

The purpose of laws in ANY society is to promote civil behavior. So here punishment consists of either financial punishment, or incarceration punishment. Hisos never seem to go to jail for anything so no need to discuss that aspect......So if the Thai system is to stick with financial punishment in order to deter non civil behavior, then it should happen at a level where it hurts. The amounts of money being thrown at the family of the peasants here who are run over by the idiot hiso kids are simply downright insulting. As a percent of the wealth of the idiot hiso kid's families in general, these amounts of a few hundred thousand baht would be like one baht to a normal person. So it would be like me driving around, running people over , and then tossing a one baht coin to the family. Scarcely a level of punishment to scare me into controlling my behavior.

Nauseating.................

New menace on the road. Forget the drunk taxi drivers, pay close attention to idiot hiso kids in expensive cars !!!!!!!

I thought at the time the Porsche driver who cut the Lao girl in half should have been made to give up his Porsche to her mother. If courts were to rule like this and as a deterrent we might then see this behavior vanish.

Have you ever seen a hiso car outside Bangkok?

They're going to hua hin now but after Huahin as you go south down through chumpoon?! To the ferry at dansak to Samui the road gives way at points to a dirt track.

It has a parallel with south London

Where you know the bmws (black mans wheels) from brixton, peckham with sound systems never make it across the river

• Like 1

Yes and he needs further operations for his teeth or where they used to be. I think 50000 baht was offered for healthcare to those in the car by the insurers but they've been in a private hospital and the overall bill is far higher.

Thanks for giving me the link to the other blog

The reason I was asking is if the government insurance will cover the bills for what insurance doesn't pay. I would hope no matter what he is off the hook for bills and if the hospital or insurance want to go after anybody who might be responsible that is their business. As for the teeth, I have no idea what Thai Government insurance covers on that. I've heard to of 50k often being the max insurance companies can or will offer but then when pushed they pay ... again, I just hope he and his family don't have to worry about medical/dental bills on top of everything else.

By the way .. this topic is now being continued on another thread since the 2nd hit and runner turned himself in ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560542-bangkok-rama-ix-bridge-accident-hit-run-driver-surrenders/

Bangkok Post also reported no driving license, but grandparents permitted him to drive!!!

He wasn't even of age to be driving or have a license which is reason enough for a young person to want to flee. He might have been drinking but there is nothing to support this since he had reasons to be scared and flee without drinking and driving irresponsibly at 17 is certainly no proof to support his drinking. The only thing we supposedly know is he was with friends watching a sports game (soccer?) before he drove home ... i believe this was at a friends house or apartment.

Am curious, any mention of his parents? Also is it grandparents or grandmother? Grandma is the only guardian type person I have heard mentioned in all this.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa, Yes he was just a minor, just a young little kiddie, who lost his way in life, all he did was attend some sports thing, of course he wouldn't be drinking as he was UNDER AGE, and knew if he drove the car no one could touch him, He was too young to respect his family, and didn't think anything was wrong as he hadn;t matured. Just one of those joy drivers, out for a spin and a laugh. Family will shield the young KIDDIE with their wallet.

• Like 1

Nisa...I can't comprehend how idealistic you are. You wouldn't be distraught if your child was killed, but money could 'make it better', Amazing. I don't think I've heard that before...

What I gather from your posts is that you seem to think that rules and laws and responsibility which helps us live as a society lacking anarchy are ok to be broken as long as you can make restitution. So how would you deal with someone with NO money, no ability to make restitution who killed someone you loved? Do they get punished then, or are you ok for them to just say sorry, I didn't mean it?

I don't see how you can possible disagree with this....Having wealth does not mean that you have the right to the reckless endangerment of other peoples lives, simply because you can pay compensation. How can anyone even suggest that any monetary amount can compensate for the killing, severe injuring, maiming etc of another person because of your willful neglect, reckless behavior or I don't give a **** about others attitude. Everything you write suggests that you believe this or even that saying 'sorry I didn't mean it' can compensate for the consequences of these actions.

Humans are lucky as we have the ability to predict the risks and potential consequences of our actions BEFORE we take them. If we choose not to do that, then you have to pay the social price for your actions if they result in bad consequences. Punishment, imprisonment etc means that we are all treated equal in such situations as it should be. We all have the ability to think, to predict, to decide what risks we take. You take a risk, you pay the price, no matter how high that is (ie jail, etc). Other's don't take the risk, because they view the price as too high, view it as socially irresponsible etc.

Wealth does give you social benefits, an easier life etc, but in no way does it give you the right to throw away your social responsibilities to your fellow man and in no way does it mean you have more rights then those with less (or that your life is worth more). Sadly the hi-so's think the opposite to this and hence why the value their own life more than those of others (and are willing to take risks with the lives of others).

They break the law because they KNOW they can get away with it with money. Money is nothing, it doesn't teach you a lesson if you lost it, you can make it again. You can't get back your life spent in prison that's a real cost for their actions.

Why would the hi-so do if a low thai killed their son, in the reverse situation. Would sorry be enough? They don't need cash..............

• Like 2

Nisa...I can't comprehend how idealistic you are. You wouldn't be distraught if your child was killed, but money could 'make it better', Amazing. I don't think I've heard that before...

What I gather from your posts is that you seem to think that rules and laws and responsibility which helps us live as a society lacking anarchy are ok to be broken as long as you can make restitution. So how would you deal with someone with NO money, no ability to make restitution who killed someone you loved? Do they get punished then, or are you ok for them to just say sorry, I didn't mean it?

I don't see how you can possible disagree with this....Having wealth does not mean that you have the right to the reckless endangerment of other peoples lives, simply because you can pay compensation. How can anyone even suggest that any monetary amount can compensate for the killing, severe injuring, maiming etc of another person because of your willful neglect, reckless behavior or I don't give a **** about others attitude. Everything you write suggests that you believe this or even that saying 'sorry I didn't mean it' can compensate for the consequences of these actions.

Humans are lucky as we have the ability to predict the risks and potential consequences of our actions BEFORE we take them. If we choose not to do that, then you have to pay the social price for your actions if they result in bad consequences. Punishment, imprisonment etc means that we are all treated equal in such situations as it should be. We all have the ability to think, to predict, to decide what risks we take. You take a risk, you pay the price, no matter how high that is (ie jail, etc). Other's don't take the risk, because they view the price as too high, view it as socially irresponsible etc.

Wealth does give you social benefits, an easier life etc, but in no way does it give you the right to throw away your social responsibilities to your fellow man and in no way does it mean you have more rights then those with less (or that your life is worth more). Sadly the hi-so's think the opposite to this and hence why the value their own life more than those of others (and are willing to take risks with the lives of others).

They break the law because they KNOW they can get away with it with money. Money is nothing, it doesn't teach you a lesson if you lost it, you can make it again. You can't get back your life spent in prison that's a real cost for their actions.

Why would the hi-so do if a low thai killed their son, in the reverse situation. Would sorry be enough? They don't need cash..............

Difficult to respond to all your comments except to say that you clearly didn't comprehend my comments because you are saying and suggesting things I never said. I suggest you quote me and take issue with any specific thought I expressed rather than going off on things I never said but for some reason you want to believe I did.

Edited by Nisa

Difficult to respond to all your comments except to say that you clearly didn't comprehend my comments because you are saying and suggesting things I never said. I suggest you quote me and take issue with any specific thought I expressed rather than going off on things I never said but for some reason you want to believe I did.

I think It's the Ideals around your posts that do not go down very well, MOST persons think that a person (17) should be aware of his actions (young lady -Toll) example. Finding a solution is difficult but MOST agree a very hard line taken against their actions. Persons of this age SHOULD be responsible for what they do, drinking-no problem, smoking -no problem, sex -no problem I could go on. Secondly and as important is the household he was brought up in, parents (grand parents) the people who control the home, there are rules that should apply here like discipline, trust, respect---there were few rules in place. Giving car keys out to spoilt brats knowing no licence, insurance is downright irresponsible, and dangerous. The parents/carers of this moron should have all the reponsibility left with them and have to suffer for it. not just financial.

• Like 2

the laws here are really a pile of bull crap. the existance of vigilantes would be interesting.

That is why there are so many hit and runs in Thailand.

Witness and friends of victims become instant vigilantes.

I think It's the Ideals around your posts that do not go down very well, MOST persons think that a person (17) should be aware of his actions (young lady -Toll) example. Finding a solution is difficult but MOST agree a very hard line taken against their actions. Persons of this age SHOULD be responsible for what they do, drinking-no problem, smoking -no problem, sex -no problem I could go on. Secondly and as important is the household he was brought up in, parents (grand parents) the people who control the home, there are rules that should apply here like discipline, trust, respect---there were few rules in place. Giving car keys out to spoilt brats knowing no licence, insurance is downright irresponsible, and dangerous. The parents/carers of this moron should have all the reponsibility left with them and have to suffer for it. not just financial.

I can't help it if you and "most people" here (as you say) have basic comprehension issues and filled with anger towards Thais because it is very interesting that "most people" here you mention take a completely different stand when it is is Farang accused of a crime.

I can't help it if you and "most people" here (as you say) have basic comprehension issues and filled with anger towards Thais because it is very interesting that "most people" here you mention take a completely different stand when it is is Farang accused of a crime.

nisa =- personal responsibility should be at the TOP of anyone's list of 'to do's' especially as it is at the top of Buddha's teachings on life

• Like 1

So he's a racist for wanting a spoiled brat take some responsibility for his actions?

• Like 2

Oh Nisa, what crap, most people have "comprehention issues" Ha Ha and you said we are "filled with anger towards Thais" how stupid a thing to say when the issue here happens to be in Thailand and a young man/spoiled brat is Thai. Do you not think we have said principles and would think the same if we were in our own countries ??? we do not do it to pick on Thais. It is an attitude that is in question here. Why do you get your eccles up if anyone rightly bashes anything Thai, especially out of control young adults. And again my attitude is the same for all races. I am not racist, so easy on your assumptions.

• Like 1

Money/Wealth is viewed by many in todays world, as equal to power. It is, in my humble opinion, sad but true in many societies.and Thai society seems to fit this profile.

Most responsible humans in todays world, view those whose wealth finance their power trips, as social rogues and distance themselves from this type of people/group. This latter group seem to stay within their preceived circle of peers, show remorse for actions (with money and/or a verbal apology) after some action on their part. This is not what the responsible people are noted for, they help and exhibit humility during the daly living, not just when they screw up.

So he's a racist for wanting a spoiled brat take some responsibility for his actions?

Nope, I didn't say this. Also didn't say he was a pink pregnant elephant. Why not read the post I was replying to and my reply again and then again if you still think that is what I was saying. (Hint note the quotes)

Are you really so blind not to notice that MANY of the regular posters here often post negative views of Thais but defend the heck out of a farang when charged with a crime and actually use it as an excuse to attack Thais, the police and justice system. If you call this racist, then so be it, I have my own thoughts on it.

This is a thread about a 17 year old who hit some people with his car causing serious injury and then fleeing the scene and NOTHING I have posted even hints that HE shouldn't take responsibility for his actions. I also have no idea if he is a spoiled bratt just as much as I wouldn't be able to make that judgement if he was a farang in the same boat. What I know is he messed up royally and is almost surely going to have to be dealing with the consequences for a long time to come.

No more replies for me to non reality based replies to my posts. It wastes my time, your and others.

The little s**t deserves to pay for what he did. He could have killed people. Think if it was your child hit by him. I don't think any amount of money is enough.

The only thing that he could value in the slightest would be his time and his freedom. For that reason he should be jailed as punishment. 3 years is also nonsense for this kind of crime. He's clearly shown trying to hide his crime. If his grandmother has helped she should be jailed as an accessory.

Money and status go too hand in hand everywhere. Just because someone is rich they shouldn't have instant respect. It probably stems from all the brown nosing of bosses around the globe.

Your usual way out Nisa, when the going gets tough, your usual is ""I'm outta here""-- back off with your thinking that posters favour westerners when they do wrong, NOT the case, most cry out at anyone doing wrong here as they are an embarrassment. When something outrageous comes along like this thread, the outcry is the attitude of the system who protect the wealthy. And normally their young adult childrn seem to be this type who get involved. The system wants a kick up the rect#m as well as the families as YOU say.

I agree. In order to deter poor behavior, punishment needs to exist, and the responsible party be held accountable. So in this case there are two parties. One is an irresponsible 17 year old kid. The board here seems to be somewhat split regarding what punishment he should face, as the fact he is a spoiled brat is the fault of his upbringing. But for me the party who is absolutely at fault is granny, and she should face criminal charges. To make an extreme example, what if I gave my 10 year old son the keys to my car, and he goes out and runs people over, who is at fault?

The little s**t deserves to pay for what he did. He could have killed people. Think if it was your child hit by him. I don't think any amount of money is enough.

The only thing that he could value in the slightest would be his time and his freedom. For that reason he should be jailed as punishment. 3 years is also nonsense for this kind of crime. He's clearly shown trying to hide his crime. If his grandmother has helped she should be jailed as an accessory.

Money and status go too hand in hand everywhere. Just because someone is rich they shouldn't have instant respect. It probably stems from all the brown nosing of bosses around the globe.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I agree. In order to deter poor behavior, punishment needs to exist, and the responsible party be held accountable. So in this case there are two parties. One is an irresponsible 17 year old kid. The board here seems to be somewhat split regarding what punishment he should face, as the fact he is a spoiled brat is the fault of his upbringing. But for me the party who is absolutely at fault is granny, and she should face criminal charges. To make an extreme example, what if I gave my 10 year old son the keys to my car, and he goes out and runs people over, who is at fault?

10 year old and 17 is very different, that would be more your fault because a 10 year old has a very different judgmental ability to a 17 year old.

That's the point Nisa is missing. This 'kid' is not 10 years old. Their ability to comprehend and make valid judgments is well enough developed to be responsible for their own actions, 100%. Fleeing the scene shows he is aware what he did was wrong, so he can not go the 'i didn't mean it' route.

There needs to be more rules governing this. In Australia now, car's are confiscated and scrapped!

In reality, Deals sought is no less than crap. This is greed and money again. Suggestions so far are wide ranging but most will agree that the (deals thing should be outlawed) instead the law applied that should be whoever passed the keys over SUFFER the young man he should be hurt under the law-young offenders--, car scrapped--good idea.--in addition the young man should not be allowed to apply for a licence for 3 years. Police bring the people to court, and then bow out with no money.

• Like 1