Thailand Is Not Like China In Its Attitudes Toward Foreigners (Yet?)

BigJohnnyBKK

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirineou - The 'average' Thai is not going to be reading this forum... but yes, those foreigners that behave badly will reinforce negative views about us.

Unlike some other posters here I think most (ordinary) Thais are racist generally, but make an exception for those foreigners they like. A bit like (generally)Westerners back at home really....

Spot on.

The Thais will only tolerate us providing we don`t cause them any problems and as I’ve said many times in the past, the actions of a minority can place scrutiny on the majority and sooner or later will mean a tightening up of the regulations for all of us.

There are already too many foreigners of little or no wealth plonking themselves into the country and eventually these people are going to be noticed which again will place the watchful eye on us all and of course that will mean a change in the attitudes towards westerners in Thailand.

I personally would like to see some major amendments to the Immigration regulations and that all long termers should be imposed to extend their visas via Immigration with no exceptions and that of being a tourist, means a tourist, permitted to stay in Thailand for short holiday periods only. Those applying to stay in Thailand long term should also require proof that they are self-supportive, without the need to work or hassle for finances in Thailand, unless employment has been organised officially and above board before entering Thailand.

I think the writing is on the wall and can see major changes happening for the future, not all are going to be in everyone’s favour.

I also believe that the posters who complain the loudest about Thailand and the Thai people are probably those that do not live here but want to come here only they can’t hack it, or due to circumstances have had to return to their home lands, or struggling to support themselves in the Kingdom. I very much doubt that those who are doing just fine, have no financial concerns and able to abide by the Immigration rules and requirements would have much, if anything to complain about.

Oh stand down, grandpa.

Your brand of visa snobbery is tired, worn out bullshit. There's no point banging on about it. It'll change when Immigration thinks it's good and ready for change.

There is a visceral and endemic hatred for the West in China, it's an institutional and cultural hatred. Please forgive me paraphrasing here but it is relevant to the OP and a full explanation would take me 30 pages. The root of it goes back to an act of Imperial folly around 1796 when an emissary of King George spent two years trying to persuade the Chinese Emperor to agree to trade with the UK and other European countries, the negotiation to meet the Emperor was a shambles as the Emperor insisted on various levels of primacy of regality above King George, and in the end a compromise was reached where the emissary bowed deeply to the Emperor, who had a portrait of King George secluded behind a silk screen, behind him.

The Royal Court thought the the emissary was submitting to the Emperor, he and the Mandarins knew he was just saving face and bowing to his own Kings portrait. That issue of face is important in China too you know, anyway China ( which means Middle Kingdom ) was sucking in vast wealth from the West, the emissary asked would the Emperor allow the West to sell goods in China, the Emperor replied " This is the Middle Kingdom, we have everything we need, and there is nothing of yours that we want ".

There was a giant trade imbalance between China and the West at the time, I've seen it written that there wasa balance of trade deficit equivalent to 20 million ounces of silver every year? Remarkable........and who would have thought two hundred years later and it turns full circle???

When news got back to the British government they were enraged, unfortunately for China the Industrial Revolution was just upon the UK and Britain became the dominant force in the world after the fall of Napoleon in 1815. The attitude to China haredened and China ended up being effectively a client state, the Opium Wars caused mass resentment in China, and that resentment is still rubbed in to every Chinese child, and if you roll through history, it was a direct result of that Emporers refusal to trade that weakened China at the wrong time, while the Japanese grabbed the levers of Industrialisation and ended up invading and dominating China, resulting in the Rape of Nanking and humiliation.

Before some of you start on anti British Empire crusade, the European nations and the USA rode along on the British coat-tails, they all wanted a bit of the Chinese honey pot. they were happy to get access to the giant Chinese market.

So, in relation to the OP, there is a level of anti-Western sentiment prevalent in China that does not exist in Thailand. In similar as to what someone mentioned earlier, many Chinese love the fact that they have Western friends, it's a badge of honour, status blah blah They hate the thought of the West but they love having Western friends.

So no, it will never come to pass that Thailand has the same visceral hatred for the West, the histories are different, however!!! The Thais will get sickened by scum bags and low lifes. who could blame them? Who among us would not have kicked that guys head in if we had found him raping a young woman in the street?

So I predict far more Thai individuals will become anti-farang, Thai Society won't become anti-Western to anything like the extent of China.

Not many lowlife farang in China.

Depends how you define low life and farang? In Guangzhou there are many west Africans fairly openly selling drugs in the main expat hangouts. How many of them have current visas?

However for farangs China is definitely not a good place to be if you run out of money and cannot pay off the police.

China regularly swings from periods of greatly admiring foreigners and soliciting them, to demonising them. This is nothing new. There is a view - expressed in the Economist this week - that the Chinese authorities have leveraged this attempted rape incident and a similar incident involving a Russian cellist who got into an abusive exchange with a local on the metro system last week to launch the 100 day campaign to detract attention away from the current negative media China is getting on a variety of fronts, most notably the blind dissident issue, a faltering economy, the Chongqing murder and the Bo incident and even the disputes with Philippines over some crappy islands.

I was in Beijing last week. I met lots of expats who welcome the crackdown because, in their view, China is becoming over-run with low-life foreigners and it is ruining the reputation of people just trying to make a legitimate living. Does that sound familiar.

There is a difference between an anti-foreigner crusade and a bonafide attempt to get rid of illegal foreigners. It's every country's sovereign right to enforce its immigration rules.

I just wish Thailand did it more often.

The other important point about this was that the campaign is only in Beijing. It has not happened at all in Guangzhou which probably has as many foreigners or even Shanghai as far as I know.

As long as you have registered and are carrying your passport the check takes a couple of minutes and you are on your way. As Bendix said anybody who is here legitimately wishes they would do it more often.

It amazes me how quickly any attempt to have a serious discussion on this forum always ends up mentioning prostitution in Thailand.

It's as if that is the only thing people know about Thailand, which reveals a lot about those posters, I suppose.

• Like 1

It amazes me how quickly any attempt to have a serious discussion on this forum always ends up mentioning prostitution in Thailand.

It's as if that is the only thing people know about Thailand, which reveals a lot about those posters, I suppose.

This surprises you....??

I actually think prostitution is very relevant to this thread

There is an inextricable link between foreigner trash and prostitutes

Yawn. Prostitution only exists in Thailand because of foreign trash? Really?

• Like 1

There seems to be a level of paranoia in the fact that people find that the Chinese 'hate Farangs', meaning European in origin. The Chinese are generally xenophobic, even racial groupings living in China are discriminated against, be thankful that you aren't Tibetan.

Carts and horses, mate.

Foreign trash only come to Thailand for the tarts. Personally, I like the tarts in Macau; though KFC comes close

SC

• Like 1

Of course not, but Thai prostitution and farangs are relative to this subject.

The fact is that when farangs are on holiday or decide to plonk themselves in Thailand, the first close associations they will have with the natives intend to be from the lower orders of Thai society, probably those they meet on the social scene, bargirls, massage parlours, those living in the poor village communities where they reside, especially in the North East

A farang male who has ambitions of finding a Thai woman partner will inevitably consider Thai women from the underclasses as fair game, because these women are more desperate and view the farang as a means of escaping from abstract poverty and a way of obtaining some wealth and status for themselves including their families in Thailand, perhaps even as a way of escaping Thailand altogether by obtaining a visa and living abroad on the grounds of marriage.

Any self respecting middle class or upper class Thai female would rarely become involved with a farang, unless that farang was extremely wealthy and of high status. As a matter of fact for most Thais there is a great stigma towards Thai women who associate themselves with farangs and those that do are often frowned upon by their families, friends and Thai society as a whole. Even the higher-class Thai prostitutes such as sideliner students and those who operate in the VIP clubs would regard going with a farang as an ultimate last resort or would probably not even consider the prospect at all.

So this is why farangs and Thais of the lowest classes are sometimes seen as being connected in articles and the media and this also determines certain attitudes towards Westerners in South East Asia.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Sirineou - The 'average' Thai is not going to be reading this forum... but yes, those foreigners that behave badly will reinforce negative views about us.

Unlike some other posters here I think most (ordinary) Thais are racist generally, but make an exception for those foreigners they like. A bit like (generally)Westerners back at home really....

Spot on.

The Thais will only tolerate us providing we don`t cause them any problems and as I’ve said many times in the past, the actions of a minority can place scrutiny on the majority and sooner or later will mean a tightening up of the regulations for all of us.

There are already too many foreigners of little or no wealth plonking themselves into the country and eventually these people are going to be noticed which again will place the watchful eye on us all and of course that will mean a change in the attitudes towards westerners in Thailand.

I personally would like to see some major amendments to the Immigration regulations and that all long termers should be imposed to extend their visas via Immigration with no exceptions and that of being a tourist, means a tourist, permitted to stay in Thailand for short holiday periods only. Those applying to stay in Thailand long term should also require proof that they are self-supportive, without the need to work or hassle for finances in Thailand, unless employment has been organised officially and above board before entering Thailand.

I think the writing is on the wall and can see major changes happening for the future, not all are going to be in everyone’s favour.

I also believe that the posters who complain the loudest about Thailand and the Thai people are probably those that do not live here but want to come here only they can’t hack it, or due to circumstances have had to return to their home lands, or struggling to support themselves in the Kingdom. I very much doubt that those who are doing just fine, have no financial concerns and able to abide by the Immigration rules and requirements would have much, if anything to complain about.

I disagree with the part of your post I have emboldened.

There are many v wealthy ex-pats here who a) complain about trying to find someone to do decent building/repair work and/or B) complain about being 'ripped off'.

Many of them also are pretty rude to the poor, local workers (swimming pool cleaners, gardeners etc.) if they do anything that they find slightly annoying!

Spot on.

I disagree with the part of your post I have emboldened.

There are many v wealthy ex-pats here who a) complain about trying to find someone to do decent building/repair work and/or cool.png complain about being 'ripped off'.

Many of them also are pretty rude to the poor, local workers (swimming pool cleaners, gardeners etc.) if they do anything that they find slightly annoying!

This is not a general criticizing of Thailand and the Thai people, but rather pertains to those farangs that try to equate the quality of services they received in the West with that available in Thailand, because they find it difficult to understand and adapt to Thai attitudes within this society and many expect a yes massa approach from the Thais.

This includes my one of many reasons why I do not believe letting too many Westerners into the country is a good thing, as something’s are better kept in moderation in order to prevent culture clashes and conflicts.

East is east, and West is west, and never the twain shall meet. This may sound racist, but it`s not, this is common sense and there is a lot of truth in that as Thailand and many other South East Asian nations are not multi racial and multi cultural societies in the true sense and have a long way to go before this happens. Perhaps this is why South East Asians have certain negative attitudes towards Westerners and although may not entirely agree, I can understand the way of thinking and the reasons behind it.

Edited by Beetlejuice

We regularly get diatribes from little Englanders moaning about immigrants invading their country, totally oblivious to the irony that they themselves are guests in this country.

Could you provide a link to a post like this please, I can't seem to find it.

As you used the word 'regularly', it might be more appropriate for you to provide links to three or more posts of this type.

We regularly get diatribes from little Englanders moaning about immigrants invading their country, totally oblivious to the irony that they themselves are guests in this country.

As you used the word 'regularly', it might be more appropriate for you to provide links to three or more posts of this type.

I can understand you asking for a link regarding some outlandish story. But this is rather well known. Before I came to Thailand (from the US), I had no idea that the English had this extreme animosity towards immigrants in the UK. But now, after hearing and reading about it ad nauseam from just about every Englishman that I've come in contact with, I know this to be true. So you really need a link?

Just for clarification, please could you confirm whether you are foreign trash or a Thai prostitute?

Otherwise, I can't fathom why you can't see the link between foreign trash and prostitution in Thailand

Just for clarification, please could you confirm whether you are foreign trash or a Thai prostitute?

Otherwise, I can't fathom why you can't see the link between foreign trash and prostitution in Thailand

Perhaps wamberal is not aware that most farangs in farangland assume that single men who come to Thailand come for the cheap hookers. Better that he doesn't know. Ignorance is bliss, afterall...

I can understand you asking for a link regarding some outlandish story. But this is rather well known. Before I came to Thailand (from the US), I had no idea that the English had this extreme animosity towards immigrants in the UK. But now, after hearing and reading about it ad nauseam from just about every Englishman that I've come in contact with, I know this to be true. So you really need a link?

A lot of the English people abroad have extreme animosity towards immigrants in the UK and, for sure, most of them would have you believe that the state of immigration in the UK had a significant bearing on their decision to flee to SE Asia or whatever but, in reality, it was the lack of gusset available to them in the realm that prompted their flight.

When my folks arrived from the West Indies in the early 60s to take up jobs the English preferred to eschew, they were treated like utter scum despite being hardworking, respectful people with an indoctrinated love of the Queen and respect for the law. They found jobs and carved out a life for themselves but then, in the 70s, it was blacks and Indians this, blacks and Indians that; they're taking our jobs; they're bleeding us dry.

Fast forward 30+ years and predictably enough, after a period of unprecedented growth and prosperity, the same collective mindset presides over calls for immigration to be stopped while ignoring the fact that it is the indigenous, born-and-bred English who are raping & pillaging the welfare system to a standstill.

These morons claim the immigrants are fleecing the welfare state but, at the same time, they also claim the immigrants are taking all the jobs. I mean, wouldn't they have more credibility if they made up their minds?

• Like 2

A lot of the English people abroad have extreme animosity towards immigrants in the UK and, for sure, most of them would have you believe that the state of immigration in the UK had a significant bearing on their decision to flee to SE Asia or whatever but, in reality, it was the lack of gusset available to them in the realm that prompted their flight.

When my folks arrived from the West Indies in the early 60s to take up jobs the English preferred to eschew, they were treated like utter scum despite being hardworking, respectful people with an indoctrinated love of the Queen and respect for the law. They found jobs and carved out a life for themselves but then, in the 70s, it was blacks and Indians this, blacks and Indians that; they're taking our jobs; they're bleeding us dry.

Fast forward 30+ years and predictably enough, after a period of unprecedented growth and prosperity, the same collective mindset presides over calls for immigration to be stopped while ignoring the fact that it is the indigenous, born-and-bred English who are raping & pillaging the welfare system to a standstill.

These morons claim the immigrants are fleecing the welfare state but, at the same time, they also claim the immigrants are taking all the jobs. I mean, wouldn't they have more credibility if they made up their minds?

As a regular economy class cabin traveller from London to Bangkok (and vice-versa) I have had the misfortune to sit next to at least a dozen such individuals. They normally provide me with the same (unprompted) rant, which goes something like this:

"England has gone down the pan, innit mate"

"since they let the immigrants in, innit mate"

"no jobs for English blokes like me, innit mate"

"they don't care about the proper English, innit mate"

"all the immigrants get a free house, innit mate"

"Thai birds are well fit and cheap, innit mate"

etc etc

They often go on to tell me that they are going to bring their Thai girl back to live in the UK soon, or that they are planning to move to Thailand soon, without realising the irony.

As I have explained in detail on other threads, having been an employee and employer in the UK, I have observed that immigrants are much more inclined towards putting effort into finding work and working harder than many Brits.

• Like 1

Try the uk pension thread, of which you are a frequent contributor.

It's laced with explicit posts resenting immigrants arriving in the UK, mostly from posters who . . .have recently arrived in Thailand.

Try the uk pension thread, of which you are a frequent contributor.

It's laced with explicit posts resenting immigrants arriving in the UK, mostly from posters who . . .have recently arrived in Thailand.

Similar views are expressed in the Thai wife underpaid in UK thread

This is not a new phenomenon.

Prior to the blacks and South Asians taking the brunt of being the causes of all Britain’s troubles, it was the Jews and the Irish always in the limelight, especially the Jews. Nothing much had changed except the words Jews and Irish were replaced by Blacks and Indians or pakies; otherwise the story was the same. I can remember my grandfather saying; I’m glad the blacks have arrived; now they’ll leave the Jews alone.

Now Muslims have replaced the words Blacks and Indians as being the new threat to Britain and are in the forefront of the attentions of rightwing groups and the media.

But it should be noted that over many years of British history the Chinese and other south East Asians have been mostly left alone and out of the publics’ scrutiny. Why? Because they had always been discretely only in the background, they were business savvy and succesful among themselves, there were no floods of them into the UK, so were therefore tolerated and in many cases were actually liked and accepted into the fold of British society as people of integrity and of class. A white person marrying an oriental would not be so frowned upon today in the west as in the case of marrying a black or an Indian and much more likely accepted. It`s just the way it is, although I believe things have become much more tolerant than in the past.

The same would pertain in Thailand if over a period of time, more and more farangs were to begin settling here, and therefore inserting they’re presence on the Thais. As I said previously, moderation works, overkill doesn’t.

I do realise that there are ex-pats who believe that for some reasons they have a unique right to be in Thailand above all other settlers into the country. This maybe true to a point, for example when ex-pats can abide by all the rules and requirements of the Immigration department without contravening any laws, but besides that we are all tarred with the same brush as far as the Thais are concerned, so there is no point in giving ones self a false sense of believing they have superior rights to anyone else and more entitled to be here. My message to them would be; get stuffed, your opinions mean nothing and are worthless, plus they have no more rights or privileges in Thailand than the rest of us pleasant, peasant pluckers struggling with the obstacles which life throws in our way.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Is it possible ?

sure, anything is possible,

is it probable ?

This is difficult to predict, as there are so many variables.

but in the next 10 years I am willing to place the probability factor, closer to 1% than 15%

the 1% is so that the possibility remains open.

Having said all that, As western currencies decline in value, depleting the purchasing power of westerners, and the cost of living in Thailand increasing, I can see how the number of westerners living here might decrease on it's own.

Of course there is always the chance that Thais might read some of the negative posts about them in some forums, how, many westerners talk about them, and the negative attitude of some of us toward them. and I would not blame them if they chased us in the sea with pitchforks and knives.laugh.png

Ps: I wonder (let's say in the interest of discussion) How Americans,(or for that matter any westerner) would react, if they read in a forum (as we read posts about Thais in a regular basis) ,Muslims,living in their country, describing them as "lazy" "stupid" "thief's" "whores"and other words that I cant bring my self to write.

Imagine how they will react toward them.

I think we better take stock of our selves, behave with more respect toward our hosts, or we could very well make the OP question a reality.

Try reading the UK newspaper forums... They are FULL of hatred against immigrants. It used to be mainly the Moslems and Eastern Europeans, but a recent case (somewhere in the North of England) where a group of Asians 'groomed' and raped local young girls (from poor backgrounds) has led to one hell of a lot of Asian immigrant bashing - they believe all Asians are looking for young girls to sell off as prostitutes!

Edit - And, as far as I can see the UK is far less racist than many other European countries. i.e. BNP receive v little support.

Good post.

You ignore a source of anti-immigrant and anti-foreigner sentiment that is even closer to our hearts - TV itself. We have threads today talking about the filthy habits of the natives, for example. We regularly get diatribes from little Englanders moaning about immigrants invading their country, totally oblivious to the irony that they themselves are guests in this country.

The difference is that little Englanders in Thailand have to jump through hoops, prove they are self-sufficient before they are granted entry. In England immigrants fom certain countries just say the magic words " asylum " and they are in. I have no objection to even to this fiddle if they intend to work and support themselves, but many have no such intentions. Some are given mansions in central London ( worth 1 or 2 Million GBP) at a cost to the taxpayer of 2000 GBP per month. All because they have big families. Working families ( immigrant or native ) have to make do with what they can afford regardless of how big their families are. This is what infuriates hard working people doing their best for their families, others making no effort are given, for nothing, what they could never afford if they were working. Just name me 1 other country in the world which is stupid enough to do this. I would be all in favour of helping others if it was in proportion but this is so distorted that criminal gangs are making fortunes bringing asylum seekers (usually bogus and merely economic migrants) to England.

Is it possible ?

is it probable ?

but in the next 10 years I am willing to place the probability factor, closer to 1% than 15%

Having said all that, As western currencies decline in value, depleting the purchasing power of westerners, and the cost of living in Thailand increasing, I can see how the number of westerners living here might decrease on it's own.

Of course there is always the chance that Thais might read some of the negative posts about them in some forums, how, many westerners talk about them, and the negative attitude of some of us toward them. and I would not blame them if they chased us in the sea with pitchforks and knives.laugh.png

Ps: I wonder (let's say in the interest of discussion) How Americans,(or for that matter any westerner) would react, if they read in a forum (as we read posts about Thais in a regular basis) ,Muslims,living in their country, describing them as "lazy" "stupid" "thief's" "whores"and other words that I cant bring my self to write.

I think we better take stock of our selves, behave with more respect toward our hosts, or we could very well make the OP question a reality.

Try reading the UK newspaper forums... They are FULL of hatred against immigrants. It used to be mainly the Moslems and Eastern Europeans, but a recent case (somewhere in the North of England) where a group of Asians 'groomed' and raped local young girls (from poor backgrounds) has led to one hell of a lot of Asian immigrant bashing - they believe all Asians are looking for young girls to sell off as prostitutes!

Edit - And, as far as I can see the UK is far less racist than many other European countries. i.e. BNP receive v little support.

Good post.

You ignore a source of anti-immigrant and anti-foreigner sentiment that is even closer to our hearts - TV itself. We have threads today talking about the filthy habits of the natives, for example. We regularly get diatribes from little Englanders moaning about immigrants invading their country, totally oblivious to the irony that they themselves are guests in this country.

The difference is that little Englanders in Thailand have to jump through hoops, prove they are self-sufficient before they are granted entry. In England immigrants fom certain countries just say the magic words " asylum " and they are in. I have no objection to even to this fiddle if they intend to work and support themselves, but many have no such intentions. Some are given mansions in central London ( worth 1 or 2 Million GBP) at a cost to the taxpayer of 2000 GBP per month. All because they have big families. Working families ( immigrant or native ) have to make do with what they can afford regardless of how big their families are. This is what infuriates hard working people doing their best for their families, others making no effort are given, for nothing, what they could never afford if they were working. Just name me 1 other country in the world which is stupid enough to do this. I would be all in favour of helping others if it was in proportion but this is so distorted that criminal gangs are making fortunes bringing asylum seekers (usually bogus and merely economic migrants) to England.

Here you go Tommo. Another one for you. It's like manna from heaven, particularly given the peculiar irony of this posters name.

I couldn't have scripted it better.

Is it possible ?

is it probable ?

Good post.

Excellent post; certainly one of the funniest I have read in a while.

The way you mimic those idiotic Brits (of white trash variety) is very original.

Although I am sure your post was just a parody, I would like to provide some clarifications:

~97% of immigrants into the UK are not asylum seekers.

~70% of asylum applications are not accepted.

Asylum seekers are not eligible for all the same social welfare benefits as native Brits.

Immigrants have a lower average propensity to claim benefits than native Brits.

UK asylum seekers vs population ratio is lower than the European average.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules