Soccer More Exciting Than Yank Football?

Boon Mee

I find it somewhat puzzling why some of the Brits so viciously attack American Football (and show their ignorance of the game and jealousy of America by doing so) while so stoically defending a game the Brits are so bad at. Yes the Brits did once win an international soccer tournament, 40 years ago, on a questionable call at home, but since then they haven't achieved anything. Top flight professional soccer in the UK is almost entirely played by foreigners (even an American or two). The two biggest British stars in English football attempted to play in Spain, and were proven to be below the level of the world's best players. Brits may love to watch the game, but they ain't much on playing it. The Brits can talk a good game, but I wouldn't put any money on them playing a good game.

:D

What a sad git. Another yank who cannot take any type of criticism. Where's the vicious attacks and why all Brits? Once again, THE THREAD IS ENTITLED " Soccer more exciting then football" and was, FYI, started by one of your countrymen and, furthermore, you'll find most of the bashing has been your lot knocking soccer (football) and rugby. England is one of the best teams in the world and as for our guys not cutting it abroad, what a load of <deleted>. By the way, didn't an injured England 'B' side just thrash you lot in the Americas? :o

Although I cannot find one remark in your post of any substance, this one "Jealous of America" really makes me laugh and leads me to believe that you're either a 13 year-old who's lost his dummy or have his head firmly stuck up his arse :D I'm guessing the latter, although it may well be both.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for American football, I do not know if there are any world championships and if so how many countries do participate?

Well, before some other xenophobic septic jumps in on this one Axel, haven't you heard of the Superbowl! :o

Correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt the superbowl a national competition.

Strictly yes, but in terms of world-wide exposure (& hype) it overshadows the World Cup Championships.

I have to assume that that is a joke. It's quite amusing anyway. It would be even more amusing if you actually believed it to be true. It is estimated that the average viewing figures per game for the 2002 World Cup were 325.6 million, with the 2002 World Cup Final pulling in around 1.1 billion viewers.

The trouble with american football is that you have to be a physical freak to play it at a high level, some of the worlds best football players have pretty normal physics, like Maradonna, Pele, even small guys can make it - Owen.

The only question I have is why do the Americans call their came football, and the other game soccer, I mean in which game does one actually use your foot with the ball, it seems to me American football should be called runball or throwball or something, but football???

This is a bit interesting, a poll that came out last month showed that soccer is ranked as the 10th most favorite sport in the US but is actually declining even more in popularity.

For decades, analysts thought that if the US had a strong national side, the sport would get more exposure. It does not appear so - the USA is ranked 7th in the world (ahead of England), but Americans still pay no attention (I won't be the first to question the high ranking - USA never plays any formidble foe other than Mexico, and I even find them unconvincing).

Favorite sport in America in descending order:

Pro football

Baseball

College football

Auto racing

Men’s college basketball

Hockey

Men’s pro basketball

Men’s golf

Boxing

Men’s soccer

Horse racing

Men’s tennis

Women’s tennis

Bowling

Women’s pro basketball

Women’s college basketball

Women’s soccer

Track & field

Women’s golf

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_po...dex.asp?PID=622

The only question I have is why do the Americans call their came football, and the other game soccer, I mean in which game does one actually use your foot with the ball, it seems to me American football should be called runball or throwball or something, but football???

Perhaps Soccer should more accurately be called 'kickball' then? :o:D

Edited by Boon Mee

This is a bit interesting, a poll that came out last month showed that soccer is ranked as the 10th most favorite sport in the US but is actually declining even more in popularity.

For decades, analysts thought that if the US had a strong national side, the sport would get more exposure. It does not appear so - the USA is ranked 7th in the world (ahead of England), but Americans still pay no attention (I won't be the first to question the high ranking - USA never plays any formidble foe other than Mexico, and I even find them unconvincing).

Don't be fooled by the ranking (as it appears you are not, the rankings are poor), the USA are gash and do not have a strong national side with any hope of being crowned the champions of the world any time in the near future. I would imagine that the problem is that until the USA have a side capable of being the world's best the general public, en masse, will not be particularly interested, but of course without that level of interest they have no chance of having such a team. After all, the USA is used to having the world's best American Football and Basketball teams, it must be hard for the association football failures to compete. But of course, they have somewhat more opposition :o

Don't be fooled by the ranking (as it appears you are not, the rankings are poor), the USA are gash and do not have a strong national side with any hope of being crowned the champions of the world any time in the near future. I would imagine that the problem is that until the USA have a side capable of being the world's best the general public, en masse, will not be particularly interested, but of course without that level of interest they have no chance of having such a team. After all, the USA is used to having the world's best American Football and Basketball teams, it must be hard for the association football failures to compete. But of course, they have somewhat more opposition :o

The US does have a side that can compete with and win the world,. Of course I'm talking about the US womens team. As I've said before it's a game for children and ladies, and our ladies take it serious. :D

Besides while I can't watch a bunch of men running around in their shorts, watching paint dry IMHO is more interesting.

I can look at the ladies doing the same actions, and actually be interested for a minute or two. :D

The US does have a side that can compete with and win the world,. Of course I'm talking about the US womens team. As I've said before it's a game for children and ladies, and our ladies take it serious. :D

Besides while I can't watch a bunch of men running around in their shorts, watching paint dry IMHO is more interesting.

I can look at the ladies doing the same actions, and actually be interested for a minute or two. :D

It would be rather sad if they did'nt have the best players, as they are the only country that play the game.

jackr

a bit sensitive are we? did my post come a little too close to home?

Come on now, Everyone knows Brits have a chip on their shoulders about America and never miss a chance to engage in a bit of America bashing. Kind of funny really, but again, soccer may be your national sport, but you guys ain't very good at it. keep dreaming of the glory years of your sporting successes, like Brits keep dreaming of the time your nation was a world power. Times change, England, Scotland or Wales are not powers in International soccer, and haven't been for a long long time, just like the UK is not an economic or political power in the word either, and hasn't been for a long long time.

If u enjoy soccer, go for it, I think it is a great game to play, but pretty boring to watch. 1-0 or 0-0 games are not my cup of coffee (Tea is that sissy stuff we throw in Boston Harbor).

If u enjoy soccer, go for it, I think it is a great game to play, but pretty boring to watch. 1-0 or 0-0 games are not my cup of coffee (Tea is that sissy stuff we throw in Boston Harbor).

Didn't the French have to come and help your mob out a few years after that tea party you had in Boston? :o

As for American football, I do not know if there are any world championships and if so how many countries do participate?

Well, before some other xenophobic septic jumps in on this one Axel, haven't you heard of the Superbowl! :D

Strictly yes, but in terms of world-wide exposure (& hype) it overshadows the World Cup Championships.

I have to assume that that is a joke. It's quite amusing anyway. It would be even more amusing if you actually believed it to be true. It is estimated that the average viewing figures per game for the 2002 World Cup were 325.6 million, with the 2002 World Cup Final pulling in around 1.1 billion viewers.

Don't worry, Fast Eddie, ole Boon's just being cunning and trying to keep his thread alive :D

Ladphrao, nah, not close to home, I'm not really bothered too much about football (the real one) unless England are playing, but know it's far better than watching a bunch of fat blokes standing around, and so does the vast majority of the nations on this planet. No-one gives a <deleted> about the glory days or the loss of empire, blah, blah in Britain, so I wouldn't bother with that lark. Doesn't affect me or anyone else in the UK, and if you're think you're turning the dagger..555555555555555555555555. Economically 4th in the world...not bad for a litttle nation. But why bring all this up anyway? What has this got to do with AF versus soccer? I repeat, take your head out of your bottom and try drinking some beer if mummy will let you. :o

ps - Roll on Germany...best keep your fingers crossed.

jackr

a bit sensitive are we? did my post come a little too close to home?

Come on now, Everyone knows Brits have a chip on their shoulders about America and never miss a chance to engage in a bit of America bashing. Kind of funny really, but again, soccer may be your national sport, but you guys ain't very good at it. keep dreaming of the glory years of your sporting successes, like Brits keep dreaming of the time your nation was a world power. Times change, England, Scotland or Wales are not powers in International soccer, and haven't been for a long long time, just like the UK is not an economic or political power in the word either, and hasn't been for a long long time.

What a stereotypical, obnoxious septic. Absolute rubbish.

Edited by Fast Eddie

[quote name='justsignedin' date='2006-01-21 13:34

It would be rather sad if they did'nt have the best players, as they are the only country that play the game.

]

Funny statement considering that most here say soccers such a great game. I guess the countries that play womens soccer are only a few (1), according to your statement.

Just as the US men field a team so do other countries field womens teams. Norway and China are among two of the best, but I guess as its not the UK winning or fielding a good team, the women don't count. I personally like women and do count them as players.

I'm sorry you don't like ladies, but I guess thats a personal preference.

Ladphrao, nah, not close to home, I'm not really bothered too much about football (the real one) unless England are playing, but know it's far better than watching a bunch of fat blokes standing around, and so does the vast majority of the nations on this planet. No-one gives a <deleted> about the glory days or the loss of empire, blah, blah in Britain, so I wouldn't bother with that lark. Doesn't affect me or anyone else in the UK, and if you're think you're turning the dagger..555555555555555555555555. Economically 4th in the world...not bad for a litttle nation. But why bring all this up anyway? What has this got to do with AF versus soccer? I repeat, take your head out of your bottom and try drinking some beer if mummy will let you. :o

I oft wonder why many think that a football game is a walk in the park. Sure you utilize only short bursts of intense energy with normally thirty seconds or more between plays. Seems like plenty of time to rest.

I then pose the question, how many of you have played the game? Ok I know very few have. So lets look at it this way,how many of you have been in an intense fight? Did it last very long? Unless you were unlucky to find someone of your abilities, it was short intense and someone took the brunt of it a hurry. But go back to the fight with someone of your abilities, it lasted a bit longer, and regardless of whom won, both parties were spent, battered and bruised. in a not so long period of time. Thats the weary you get from football.

I played soccer in junior high, there was no letter to be gained as it was played through the city recreation dept. It just wasn't the same degree of tired in comparison to my high school years of football. Footballs bone weary, bruising, intense motion and thought. Soccer, despite the occasional bump into each other, a gentle game with an ebb and flow. theres time for players to catch a breath, and if a sub is occasionally needed or wanted the coach takes one of his reserves and puts them in. Talk about sitting around doing nothing on the bench, soccer reserves, literally do nothing.

Some here still carp about the wearing of pads and helmets. Without them the injuries would sky rocket, Ever have anyone step on you face with cleats? punch kick, poke, elbow, knee gouge you while your pinned under a pile of players unable to move? Footballs a battle, modern jousting, not so much about moving the ball as it is to destroy the will of the opponent to do battle. To wear him down and out.

So enjoy futbol, root for your teams, sis boom bah But it just ain't in the same physical or mental class as football IMHO

Well, before some other xenophobic septic jumps in on this one Axel, haven't you heard of the Superbowl! :D

Don't worry, Fast Eddie, ole Boon's just being cunning and trying to keep his thread alive :D

Glad to see you've found some new playmates little Jack :D ( only 11 months until the real contest resumes)

Didn't the French have to come and help your mob out a few years after that tea party you had in Boston? :o

That is below the belt. Everyone dislikes the french. But then again they do play soccer, don't they.

I do think that the Americans did win that one however.

Face it the majority of the world likes the soccer/fubol. But then again, so what. Maybe it does explain the lack of upper body strength because of the prohibition against touching the ball. The rest of the world will never understand american football. That is okay. God only knows what would happen to the sport if the french started to like it.

[quote name='justsignedin' date='2006-01-21 13:34

]

Funny statement considering that most here say soccers such a great game. I guess the countries that play womens soccer are only a few (1), according to your statement.

Just as the US men field a team so do other countries field womens teams. Norway and China are among two of the best, but I guess as its not the UK winning or fielding a good team, the women don't count. I personally like women and do count them as players.

I'm sorry you don't like ladies, but I guess thats a personal preference.

come on now pay attention, read the original post again.

I am trying to be open minded in this debate.

I have had ESPN on today and have been watching College Football. I don’t know anything about the level other than its College Football. The teams are ‘East’ v ‘West’. I put it on about an hour ago and it was the 3rd. I watched it for around 20 minutes and in all honesty there seemed to be nothing going on. There was an occasional ‘play’ (I think that’s what they are called) but there was so much time doing nothing. There was time to actually focus on the commentators in between standing around. Anyhow, I have now switched ESPN back on, after watching most of a movie on the other side, to find the same game still on! It is now in the 4th, but there is still little going on. I find this incredible. I keep thinking the game is over but then realize the clock is still counting down. I understand that this may be an unimportant low level game, as the stands are quite empty, but even so. If I watched a lower division football game I could be guaranteed of a certain level of entertainment.

I am also happy to agree that England isn’t a fantastic team and haven’t been for some time, and that the majority of the players in the English Premier league are foreign, but that’s not the issue.

I can only suppose that one requires a certain mentality to enjoy AF, one that the average American has but the rest of the world doesn't. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that there is a preference that doesn’t extend far outside of America.

I am trying to be open minded in this debate.

I have had ESPN on today and have been watching College Football. I don’t know anything about the level other than its College Football. The teams are ‘East’ v ‘West’. I put it on about an hour ago and it was the 3rd. I watched it for around 20 minutes and in all honesty there seemed to be nothing going on. There was an occasional ‘play’ (I think that’s what they are called) but there was so much time doing nothing. There was time to actually focus on the commentators in between standing around. Anyhow, I have now switched ESPN back on, after watching most of a movie on the other side, to find the same game still on! It is now in the 4th, but there is still little going on. I find this incredible. I keep thinking the game is over but then realize the clock is still counting down. I understand that this may be an unimportant low level game, as the stands are quite empty, but even so. If I watched a lower division football game I could be guaranteed of a certain level of entertainment.

I am also happy to agree that England isn’t a fantastic team and haven’t been for some time, and that the majority of the players in the English Premier league are foreign, but that’s not the issue.

I can only suppose that one requires a certain mentality to enjoy AF, one that the average American has but the rest of the world doesn't. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that there is a preference that doesn’t extend far outside of America.

Sorry you bothered watching. these are simply showcases for some community to make a few dollars. These players hope to show their skills to pro scouts to obtain a contract.

Nobody watches them as their boring boring boring

A true sportsman would appreciate both soccer and american football.

And that's me. No argument there.

I used to be keen as <deleted> to go over to Maracana Stadium on Sundays to watch the matches w/the missus and we'd have a blast!

Back in the states, NFL Football rules. :o

Glad to see you've found some new playmates little Jack :D ( only 11 months until the real contest resumes)

:D least I've got some old boy :D

think you'll get em back?, not that you ever had em of course :D

“can only suppose that one requires a certain mentality to enjoy AF, one that the average American has but the rest of the world doesn't. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that there is a preference that doesn’t extend far outside of America.”

Partially agree but partially have to disagree. There is something in American Football that appeals to Americans, American Football is aggressive, flashy, complex, and highly competitive. But I think it is mostly exposure to the game during our formative years. If others were exposed to the game at an early age, I think other would also like the game. In much the same way with cricket, which is only played in the UK and some former colonies. If one didn’t grow up with the game, it is not something one will gain an appreciation for later in life. Although I grow up playing and watching American Football, and therefore enjoy the game, I don’t think it is a “superior” game to soccer. Just my cup of coffee, I’ll let you enjoy your cup of tea.

Overall, American’s seem to prefer games that involve a lot of strategy, action and want to see a bit of a show, while Europeans seem to prefer what I would refer to as more “pure” sports. NASCAR vs Formula 1 for example, not one can deny that Formula 1 cars are far more high tech, but at the start of a race, there are only maybe 3 or 4 drivers with a realistic shot to win, and there are maybe 1 or 2 on the track passes for the lead in a season. NASCAR, much lower tech, but at the start of a race nearly half of the field could win if things go their way, plenty of back and forth action, changes in momentum. Much the same comparing soccer and American Football.

I think Rugby is comparable to American Football as far as action goes, and I doubt soccer will over take rugby in NZ or Australia as a spectactor sport.

At the start of the last season, in the English league, there were only three teams with a shot to win the title, Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal, with Liverpool being basically the only other with even a long shot chance of winning.

Not so with the NFL, half the league had a shot, and few would have predicted either Seattle or the Steelers playing for the title. Much more “competitive” league, makes for more drama and a better show (for me). Soccer (these days) rarely have more than two or three scores and usually about the same number of close to scoring moments. In American Football, each play is a minor “win” or “lose” for each team. Each play something happens, good or bad for the team you are rooting for. In soccer, there is a lot of “push” time, where neither team is really making much progress towards winning the game, but both games can erupt in excitement at any moment, but there are more moments in American Football. A change in the lead in a soccer game is rare, in American Football it often happens numerous times in a single game. Although soccer is continuous play, it is hard to make the case that a 0-0 soccer game is continuous action. If you count the amount of time players are moving as action, soccer beats American Football, but if you consider scores, changes in momentum, lead changes, and important moments in a game as action, American Football wins hands down.

American football is an extremely complex game with incredibly complex strategy, soccer is more of a game of instincts, and improvisation. Let’s not forget, the cheerleaders, bands, music, and “show” aspect of American football, that makes going to the game an event, seems more so than in soccer which is more purely a sporting event and less of an entertainment show.

I have nothing against soccer, I played it a little for fun (even stepped in and “coached” a kids team a couple of times when the real coach was held up) and once even stepped in and refereed the first bit of a kids game waiting for the ref to show. Great game to play, better than American Football in many ways (you can walk without great pain the day after a soccer game which you can’t do after an American football game). It just lacks of “excitement” as a spectator sport for me, and I think most Americans who have grown up watching and playing games with a lot more “action” would agree.

Edited by Ladphrao

Deep in Zone Coverage.. Monster Stack.. Monday Night Football is going to be cancelled.. so that is some evidence that the GAME is BORING.. The college game is more exciting and pure.

Down and out.. What's next on American Monday Nights.. Monday Night Soccer... Right..

Deep in Zone Coverage.. Monster Stack.. Monday Night Football is going to be cancelled.. so that is some evidence that the GAME is BORING.. The college game is more exciting and pure.

Down and out.. What's next on American Monday Nights.. Monday Night Soccer... Right..

I think you might be a bit coonfused. Ther will not be any ABC monday night football.

There will be ESPN prime time football on Monday night.

Just change the channel

PKG

“can only suppose that one requires a certain mentality to enjoy AF, one that the average American has but the rest of the world doesn't. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just that there is a preference that doesn’t extend far outside of America.”

Partially agree but partially have to disagree. There is something in American Football that appeals to Americans, American Football is aggressive, flashy, complex, and highly competitive. But I think it is mostly exposure to the game during our formative years. If others were exposed to the game at an early age, I think other would also like the game. In much the same way with cricket, which is only played in the UK and some former colonies. If one didn’t grow up with the game, it is not something one will gain an appreciation for later in life. Although I grow up playing and watching American Football, and therefore enjoy the game, I don’t think it is a “superior” game to soccer. Just my cup of coffee, I’ll let you enjoy your cup of tea.

Overall, American’s seem to prefer games that involve a lot of strategy, action and want to see a bit of a show, while Europeans seem to prefer what I would refer to as more “pure” sports. NASCAR vs Formula 1 for example, not one can deny that Formula 1 cars are far more high tech, but at the start of a race, there are only maybe 3 or 4 drivers with a realistic shot to win, and there are maybe 1 or 2 on the track passes for the lead in a season. NASCAR, much lower tech, but at the start of a race nearly half of the field could win if things go their way, plenty of back and forth action, changes in momentum. Much the same comparing soccer and American Football.

I think Rugby is comparable to American Football as far as action goes, and I doubt soccer will over take rugby in NZ or Australia as a spectactor sport.

At the start of the last season, in the English league, there were only three teams with a shot to win the title, Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal, with Liverpool being basically the only other with even a long shot chance of winning.

Not so with the NFL, half the league had a shot, and few would have predicted either Seattle or the Steelers playing for the title. Much more “competitive” league, makes for more drama and a better show (for me). Soccer (these days) rarely have more than two or three scores and usually about the same number of close to scoring moments. In American Football, each play is a minor “win” or “lose” for each team. Each play something happens, good or bad for the team you are rooting for. In soccer, there is a lot of “push” time, where neither team is really making much progress towards winning the game, but both games can erupt in excitement at any moment, but there are more moments in American Football. A change in the lead in a soccer game is rare, in American Football it often happens numerous times in a single game. Although soccer is continuous play, it is hard to make the case that a 0-0 soccer game is continuous action. If you count the amount of time players are moving as action, soccer beats American Football, but if you consider scores, changes in momentum, lead changes, and important moments in a game as action, American Football wins hands down.

American football is an extremely complex game with incredibly complex strategy, soccer is more of a game of instincts, and improvisation. Let’s not forget, the cheerleaders, bands, music, and “show” aspect of American football, that makes going to the game an event, seems more so than in soccer which is more purely a sporting event and less of an entertainment show.

I have nothing against soccer, I played it a little for fun (even stepped in and “coached” a kids team a couple of times when the real coach was held up) and once even stepped in and refereed the first bit of a kids game waiting for the ref to show. Great game to play, better than American Football in many ways (you can walk without great pain the day after a soccer game which you can’t do after an American football game). It just lacks of “excitement” as a spectator sport for me, and I think most Americans who have grown up watching and playing games with a lot more “action” would agree.

Thanks. That was a very balanced and thoughtful argument.

A true sportsman would appreciate both soccer and american football.

Great post, WT. I have played rugby for the past 34 years, and it is my greatest sporting love. My son plays rugby and hockey (not the icy variety) for his school, and plays soccer for a club. I enjoy soccer and hockey but know little about the strategies etc. I just like them.

As for American Football, I have rarely seen it so can't comment, but would very much like to see something of it, understand it and enjoy it.

Martin Johnson, Josh Lewsey, Jonny Wilkinson and numerous other top rugby names have been over to train/play AF in the US during summer breaks (obviously not at a high level), and several played professionally in the UK (Gavin Hastings played for the Claymores). Similarly, the US Eagles (national rugby side) includes a number of former AF players, some of whom play in England.

Fitness for soccer is totally different to that for rugby, which is presumably different to that for AF. For the benefit of those wanting to knock rugby, I would reiterate a previous poster's view: nip down to your local rugby club and play in the front or second row, then tell us what you think.

I think part of the lack of support in the US is due to the almighty dollar: advertisers wanted to show soccer as long as it was in quarters, not halves. Same problem with rugby, although 7s is taking off there (the standard of the women's 7s is awesome in the US).

And remember: God is a loose-head prop.

Sorta doubt Monday Night Soccer would be much of a hit! :o