Expert: Major Flood To Recur This Year, But Less Devastating

Lite Beer

Expert: Major flood to recur this year, but less devastating

BANGKOK, 30 May 2012 (NNT) – A flood management expert has warned Thai people to prepare for a flood crisis this year; however, the damage will possibly be less severe than the flood last year.

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) Executive Director Dr. Anond Snidvongs has told that all related agencies and people must be prepared for another flood threat. He is certain that major floods will happen later this year, but the extent will not be as severe as last year’s crisis.

Dr. Anond Snidvongs indicated that several areas around Bangkok, particularly Don Muang, are subsiding 2-3 centimeters per year, a faster-than-usual rate. He further explained that many people do not bring the issue up for discussion or rectification. GISTDA is looking at the soil humidity and other variables affecting the direction of water courses and soil erosion.

As for flood prevention plans, the executive director said there is not a one-cure-all formula, but each community must find the most suitable way for its area. He said related agencies must do a mock-up flood situation and manage a good water system. GISTDA is currently working with Japan, figuring out rain amount by using satellite information.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-30 footer_n.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Yingyuth should send the boys round for a little chat with this guy. It is one thing for the experts on TV to state that floods will recur but the Executive Director of GISTDA being seen to agree with them could be a career changing event.

on what facts is he basing his assumption?

he is even slightly contradicting himself: "the damage will possibly be less severe" - "will not be as severe as last year’s crisis".

so far is dry everywhere and nor much of a rainy season - much different, than the last year.

Edited by londonthai

I think Yingyuth should send the boys round for a little chat with this guy. It is one thing for the experts on TV to state that floods will recur but the Executive Director of GISTDA being seen to agree with them could be a career changing event.

Yep a case of come and take a seat next to your p45

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA)

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

What do you want to know??

When's the Thai shuttle to the ISS? :rolleyes:

Bugger the floods, I'm waiting for the press release on their progress with the space program. rolleyes.gif

What do you want to know??

When's the Thai shuttle to the ISS? rolleyes.gif

2020 - if the Thais want to spend the money for the current plan and assuming the ISS is still being funded for operations

Crobe

Maybe it is time for a thread on flood prevention methods that work. I am talking about your home here. We suffered like thousands of other folks. My contribution is "Do not leave your home'. We didn't and our home survived. Sure we used pumps etc, yet I am truly convinced we didn't suffer like our neighbours because we stayed and fought.

• Like 1

on what facts is he basing his assumption?

he is even slightly contradicting himself: "the damage will possibly be less severe" - "will not be as severe as last year’s crisis".

so far is dry everywhere and nor much of a rainy season - much different, than the last year.

I take it that you aren't particularly acquainted with areas North and North East of Bangkok, where in fact most of the presumed floodwater will come from? Lots of reports of excessive amounts of rain water for at least the latest month from up there.

Edited by Scott

I've been back in Bangkok now since December and I've been driving around quite a lot the last few months. During my last trip to Chaeng Wattana I had a good look around Don Muaeng, Laksi, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd, Bang Sue and a few other areas but couldn't see any of these big water protection projects that the government has promised these people anywhere!! Does anybody know of any projects that have started? Or was this all a big lie again?

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) Executive Director Dr. Anond Snidvongs has told that all related agencies and people must be prepared for another flood threat. He is certain that major floods will happen later this year, but the extent will not be as severe as last year’s crisis.

Ojojoj, smart guy.... "major floods will happen" Yes I agree, It happens EVERY year up here in Isaan So that is not any news for the rest of us.. Than... "But not as severe as last year" ojoj big prediction I may say...

I think it is a lot of bullcrap that many of these amatour-cheifs and politicians are allowed to present to the public....

Glegolo

• Like 1

They are all spaced out and becoming more so by the minute. What else do you need to know about the space program?

• Like 1

I take it that you aren't particularly aquinted with areas North and North East of Bangkok, where in fact most of the presumed floddwaler will come from? Lots of reports of excessive amounts of rain water for at least the latest month from up there.

I am in the north west bkk, dry as always, khlongs and reservuars half empty

I've been back in Bangkok now since December and I've been driving around quite a lot the last few months. During my last trip to Chaeng Wattana I had a good look around Don Muaeng, Laksi, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd, Bang Sue and a few other areas but couldn't see any of these big water protection projects that the government has promised these people anywhere!! Does anybody know of any projects that have started? Or was this all a big lie again?

My personal guess: After the money is spent there is no actual need to build anything, as the bribe money is already in the pockets and if there is another flood even better....

God, these reports make me nervous. It's just too early to panic. At least I never got everything moved back downstairs from the last time!

If you know it long enough in advance and the water isn't higher than 1.3 meter than you can, considering it is a usual house, block/pump it.

I did it at the last floods. But it is as much work as moving everything and cleaning after.....At least for the first year.

If you need any tipps and tricks, let me know......I could control 1.5 Meter water (on the street maybe 1.2 on the front door) for 1 month.....

Sadly, bottom line is, Bangkok is slowly sinking, leaving it more and more vulnerable to flooding, as the years go by. Will be interesting to see, what residents and/or the Government will do, to cope with the situation. Hope, whoever lives down there, gets to stay dry.

• Like 1

"GISTDA is currently working with Japan, figuring out rain amount by using satellite information."

Please, please please don't end up working on this with the Japanese; all they will recommend is concreting every last riverbank and canal side, and damming every river they can, all funded by so called "Overseas Development Assistance" (ODA), which of course has to use Japanese contractors, Japanese cement manufacturers etc. to do they job.

Anyone who has ever lived in Japan knows what I mean. 75% of all waterways in Japan are now concrete lined. 60% of the entire coastline of Japan (can you believe it?) is literally encased in concrete. Don't let it happen here!

There's some construction work going on around Don Muaeng - Rangsit area, looks like concrete road walls along the pavement. It's half a meter tall, maybe that's got something to do with those projects... Sewers are being (cleaned?) here and there but half-an-hour rain still result in an ankle-high water in some areas along Vibhavadi-Rangsit Rd.

They are all spaced out and becoming more so by the minute. What else do you need to know about the space program?

Are the rumors true ? Is the spaceship propelled only by hot air ? :rolleyes:

Nah, merely, life changing.

Yeah and nuclear power and the high speed train to Chiang Mai.