Soy Yogurts Yuu Thi Nai?

aneliane

Hello gentle knights and damsels,

I have a great hummus recipe with soy yogurt, a lighter healthier version, but can't find soy yogurt here.

So far I have searched :

- Tesco

- Big C

- Villa Market

- Tops

- Lemon Farm

- Chualong

Any suggestions ?

schié schié, Merci, danke sehr, dank, Kapunka wai.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how to replace soy yogurt in recipes that ask for it:

¾ cup soymilk

1.5 TB cornstarch

fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar

Mix the soymilk and cornstarch in a small bowl – microwave for 30 seconds.

Stir, and microwave for 20 seconds.

Squeeze in some lemon juice, or add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Microwave for 2 more minutes.

how to replace soy yogurt in recipes that ask for it:

¾ cup soymilk

1.5 TB cornstarch

fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar

Mix the soymilk and cornstarch in a small bowl – microwave for 30 seconds.

Stir, and microwave for 20 seconds.

Squeeze in some lemon juice, or add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Microwave for 2 more minutes.

I just have to get a microwave rolleyes.gif

mumble, grumble...no soy yogurt available???

I was in jail once in Orange County in CA and some dude complained about being constipated...

no disrespect intended, aneliane as I enjoy yer posts...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

mumble, grumble...no soy yogurt available???

I was in jail once in Orange County in CA and some dude complained about being constipated...

no disrespect intended, aneliane as I enjoy yer posts...

Are we reading the same post? Mumble, grumble, complain. Where?

Off topic sniping and rather stalkerish behavior has been deleted. I would highly recommend that this kind of behavior stop now.

This thread is about YOGURT fhs.

Straying back on topic, necessity is the mother of invention.

Perhaps you could enhance and tailor your recipe for local conditions, by replacing the soy yoghurt with a suitable alternative.

I had a quick check in my larder, and the best I could offer was a can of guinness stout...

Your own larder may have a closer equivalent...

SC

• Like 1

Perhaps you could enhance and tailor your recipe for local conditions, by replacing the soy yoghurt with a suitable alternative.

I had a quick check in my larder, and the best I could offer was a can of guinness stout...

SC

Well the obvious would be regular yogurt but me no want to subsidized the dairy industry no more.bah.gif

Soy milk, soy beans and tofu are very popular here, I cannot phantom why they don't do yogurts out of it too,( which by the way are delicious).

Or if I can't find anything I might try agar agar with milk ? obviously not putting as much as the usual dessert dosage ?

it might taste weird tho ...

Well the obvious would be regular yogurt but me no want to subsidized the dairy industry no more.

Soy milk, soy beans and tofu are very popular here, I cannot phantom why they don't do yogurts out of it too,( which by the way are delicious).

Or if I can't find anything I might try agar agar with milk ? obviously not putting as much as the usual dessert dosage ?

I have no idea why you think people here would have any knowledge or interest in such an arcane topic.

Perhaps if you posted for "vegan health food suppliers" in the cooking forum, then go and talk to those suppliers you might find a source.

As far as making something yourself goes, it's a big wild world out there on the intertubes and google is your friend. . .

SC

Well the obvious would be regular yogurt but me no want to subsidized the dairy industry no more.bah.gif

The obvious to me would be Guinness Stout; I suppose we have to make allowances that others may see things differently. I should know - I'm colourblind.

SC

I don't really see how you would be subsidising the dairy industry by buying their products at a competitive price. Surely you would be subsidising the dairy industry if you were to search assiduously for their products despite a clear lack of marketing and product availability, and then pay over the odds for the product, regardless of the price of competing products?

I'm the same, by the way; I pay well over the odds for irn bru, because of my faith in the magical (though extremely limited) impact on the score line of rugby games watched while drinking said Irn Bru. And passionate nationalism and thrawn obstinacy. On which topic, do you know where I could get a haggis to eat while searching in vain on the internet for live commentary on the MacTavish Cup?

SC

She didn't mean "subsidise" in its literal sense, she's a strict animal rights person and doesn't want to **support** such an unethical industry by being their customer.

Perhaps even vegan out of principle, or would be willing to drink the milk from happy free-range cows or goats or whatever. These can be found on self-sufficiency intentional communities in various parts of the world, but a a bit thin on the ground in these parts. . .

She didn't mean "subsidise" in its literal sense, she's a strict animal rights person and doesn't want to **support** such an unethical industry by being their customer.

Perhaps even vegan out of principle, or would be willing to drink the milk from happy free-range cows or goats or whatever. These can be found on self-sufficiency intentional communities in various parts of the world, but a a bit thin on the ground in these parts. . .

If we were all vegans, cows would be extinct.

SC

imagine trying to explain to a thai farmer that all his cows and chickens have "animals rights" and deserve to be in a "happy free range environment " before they get cashed in ......:)

SC

And so what? They wouldn't exist in their current form if we hadn't created them.

I'm sure some would survive in zoos and on gentleman farmers' showpiece properties.

But no need to be a vegan, many self-sufficient intentional communities raise relatively happy livestock and feel OK about the ethics. It's just commercial agriculture that is evil and destructive of the planet.

SC

The obvious to me would be Guinness Stout; I suppose we have to make allowances that others may see things differently. I should know - I'm colourblind.

SC

I don't really see how you would be subsidising the dairy industry by buying their products at a competitive price. Surely you would be subsidising the dairy industry if you were to search assiduously for their products despite a clear lack of marketing and product availability, and then pay over the odds for the product, regardless of the price of competing products?

I'm the same, by the way; I pay well over the odds for irn bru, because of my faith in the magical (though extremely limited) impact on the score line of rugby games watched while drinking said Irn Bru. And passionate nationalism and thrawn obstinacy. On which topic, do you know where I could get a haggis to eat while searching in vain on the internet for live commentary on the MacTavish Cup?

SC

Sorry I am not sure I understand you well

Soy yogurt is obviously non dairy, so I would not be supporting the dairy industry

SC

And so what? They wouldn't exist in their current form if we hadn't created them.

I'm sure some would survive in zoos and on gentleman farmers' showpiece properties.

But no need to be a vegan, many self-sufficient intentional communities raise relatively happy livestock and feel OK about the ethics. It's just commercial agriculture that is evil and destructive of the planet.

You could still have cows as pet, they are beautiful and such majestic animals

Edited by aneliane

Verasu sells a very simple electric yogurt maker, you could try making your own-no need for a large microwave

Yes but you still need the 1st yogurt with the bacteria in it like the regular cow milk one

Off topic sniping and rather stalkerish behavior has been deleted. I would highly recommend that this kind of behavior stop now.

laugh.png I was thinking the same thing sbk. I reckon half the people on TVF could pick an argument with themselves.

Verasu sells a very simple electric yogurt maker, you could try making your own-no need for a large microwave

yeah, I bought a Severin yogurt maker for regular cows milk yogurt...and there is plenty of info on the net for home made soy milk yogurt (they talk about 'stablisers' and etc)...presuming that you have a supply of soy milk check it out...

Do you make flavoured yoghurts as the Lassie turned her nose up at the au naturale style, but did like the one with real strawberries in it.

what ye gotta do with yer natural yogurt when thai folks turn up their nose ('ugh, mai wan...') is to get some strawberry jam or etc. and then mix in a few spoonfuls...the kids like it that way...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

yeah, I bought a Severin yogurt maker for regular cows milk yogurt...and there is plenty of info on the net for home made soy milk yogurt (they talk about 'stablisers' and etc)...presuming that you have a supply of soy milk check it out...

Thanks but I would still have to find the first soy yogurt from which to make the others, everytime I would like to make some.

that's how you get the bacteria that turns the milk into yogurt