New York Deli Now Open In Jomtien

ericg1953

OK Here is what you have been waiting for...after three pages...a review.

I went into the NY Deli this afternoon for lunch.

First a comment about the service. I was presented with a menu with no sandwiches on it.

Just Thai food and a very generic selection of Western food.

I had to ask for the sandwich menu. Duh!

I ordered the NY sandwich , which promised Viginia ham, turkey and real cheddar among other things.

It came 10 minutes later and I could taste none of those things there. What I could taste

was the overwhelming sweet mayo they had smothered it with.

It was served on cheap White bread and

came with potato chips

At the end I felt it was about the level of Mr. Sub when they were around. I felt slightly queasy 2 minutes after I left the

premises.

I don't plan to go back .

I

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clap2.gif Told you so!clap2.gif

So I guess it's fair to say they don't process their own deli meats in house.coffee1.gif

I still like the idea of a sandwich called Jerry Seinfeld's Revenge, even if I made it up.

post-37101-0-15551300-1338624886_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

As I have pointed out many times, this is because Pattaya seems to attract the cheapest of the cheap charlies.

In Phuket or Chiang Mia you probably can get a decent Ruben at a reasonable price.

And I know in Pnom Penn(next to Sharky's bar) there was a really authentic new york sandwich place.

I don't think I paid more than the equivalent of 5 bucks and it tasted like the real thing.

It is partly the greed of the landlords that prevents quality shops opening here.

To be is to be perceived.

oh same old, same old what and who pattaya attracts.

i honestly think you do not have a finest clue of who lives in pattaya and who it attracts

you paid $5 for sandwich in Cambodia where daily wage is $5 if they lucky and you consider that to be a real bargainblink.png

Greed of landlords? do you have any understanding of business or economics? rolleyes.gif

As I have pointed out many times, this is because Pattaya seems to attract the cheapest of the cheap charlies.

In Phuket or Chiang Mia you probably can get a decent Ruben at a reasonable price.

And I know in Pnom Penn(next to Sharky's bar) there was a really authentic new york sandwich place.

I don't think I paid more than the equivalent of 5 bucks and it tasted like the real thing.

It is partly the greed of the landlords that prevents quality shops opening here.

i honestly think you do not have a finest clue of who lives in pattaya and who it attracts

you paid $5 for sandwich in Cambodia where daily wage is $5 if they lucky and you consider that to be a real bargainblink.png

Greed of landlords? do you have any understanding of business or economics? rolleyes.gif

Perhaps it is you who doesn't see the big picture. You don't need to look at Cambodia,

Anyone who has been to Phucket and Chaing Mai can tell you the quality is better there for western food,

Are you telling me the minimum wage is different in those cities?

As for greed, perhaps you should talk to Greg of Greg's kitchen to get his perspective

on Thai business practices. Ask him why he moved.

You may also try to recall the recent Toot Com "rebellion" of the phone and other shop-owners when the landlord

tried to jack rental prices out of the world.

You must be a landlord,

Perhaps it is you who doesn't see the big picture. You don't need to look at Cambodia,

Anyone who has been to Phucket and Chaing Mai can tell you the quality is better there for western food,

As for greed, perhaps you should talk to Greg of Greg's kitchen to get his perspective

You may also try to recall the recent Toot Com "rebellion" of the phone and other shop-owners when the landlord

You must be a landlord,

<deleted>, Phuket is overpriced and over rated, Chang Mai is just plain Boring!!!

Pattaya is second only to Bangkok in terms of diversity, quality and value, and quite a few Thais will actually tell you in some places Pattaya is better!!

If you ever get the chance to visit Pattaya and have a look around it will become obvious to you, just remember - there is more to Pattaya than Beach road and Walking streetwink.png, much more!!

• Like 2

You must be a landlord,

Have you actually been to Thailand yet? or pulling city names out of google?

1. It is Phuket NOT Phucket

2. It is Chiang Mai, not Chaing Mai

3. Yes the minimum wage is different across all 3

Baht 300 for Bangkok, Phuket,

Baht 273 for Chonburi

Baht 251 for Chiangmai

I believe it's already enough evidence here not to even BOTHER debate topics with you, since you are clearly WAYYYYY out of touch with realitythumbsup.gif

Chiang Mai is just as good as Pattaya in the food department (but probably no better). I spend a lot of time in both places.

I will take your word for that, probably like Pattaya.....if you look you will find!

I just get the giggles any time Chiang Mai is mentioned, a good friend of mine is married to a lady from there and consequently he HAS to spend a lot of time there, he once said to me "Chiang Mai would be okay if you were old, gay and boring, but i am none of these yet" laugh.png

You must be a landlord,

Have you actually been to Thailand yet? or pulling city names out of google?

1. It is Phuket NOT Phucket

2. It is Chiang Mai, not Chaing Mai

3. Yes the minimum wage is different across all 3

Baht 300 for Bangkok, Phuket,

Baht 273 for Chonburi

Baht 251 for Chiangmai

I believe it's already enough evidence here not to even BOTHER debate topics with you, since you are clearly WAYYYYY out of touch with realitythumbsup.gif

Sorry you said it was Chiang Mai not Chiangmai. If you are going to be anal....

And you are just being silly. I have lived in Thailand for the past four years and would be happy to meet you in

person if you don't believe me.biggrin.png Moreover, even though the minimum

wage may be slightly lower in Chiang Mai than in Chonburi. (you didn't give the minimum wage for Pattaya so I will assume

that Pattaya uses the Chonburi value) it is not enough to account for the differences I observed there.

And the 300 baht is just a recent thing isn't it? What were the values one year ago and more importantly what was the actual wage , on average, paid in both cities? Adjusting for cost of living, I doubt that the baker's helper was doing better or worse in either city

But I like your USE OF CAPITALS ....it shows great argumentative power.clap2.gif

Edited by BugJackBaron

And you are just being silly. I have lived in Thailand for the past four years and would be happy to meet you in

wage may be slightly lower in Chiang Mai than in Chonburi. (you didn't give the minimum wage for Pattaya so I will assume

that Pattaya uses the Chonburi value) the cost of living there is also somewhat lower. So I stand by my statements.

But I like your USE OF CAPITALS ....it shows great argumentative power.clap2.gif

Pattaya is in Chonburirolleyes.gif , in what jungle have you been living to even ask question like that?

Considering that you do not know what and where Pattaya is, i am failing to see how you are even attempting to comment on cost of livingblink.png

But you are free to stand by any statements you likethumbsup.gif

Edited by phl

that Pattaya uses the Chonburi value) the cost of living there is also somewhat lower. So I stand by my statements.

Pattaya is in Chonburirolleyes.gif , in what jungle have you been living to even ask question like that?

Considering that you do not know what and where Pattaya is, i am failing to see how you are even attempting to comment on cost of livingblink.png

Well Chonburi can refer to both the city and the province - just like Rayong... I live in the jungle called Pattaya dude.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Well Chonburi can refer to both the city and the province - just like Rayong... I live in the jungle called Pattaya dude.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif You live in Pattaya BUT you ask a question if Pattaya is part of Chonburi?cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Were you under some impression that the minimum wages were set per city or village?

I wonder where i can find minimum wage for Sathahipwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifclap2.gif You live in Pattaya BUT you ask a question if Pattaya is part of Chonburi?cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Were you under some impression that the minimum wages were set per city or village?

I wonder where i can find minimum wage for Sathahipwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

No , I asked no such thing dude. Time to take that reading comprehension course? And as I said it is practice not legal limits that is important when talking about minimum wage.

I just get the giggles any time Chiang Mai is mentioned, a good friend of mine is married to a lady from there and consequently he HAS to spend a lot of time there, he once said to me "Chiang Mai would be okay if you were old, gay and boring, but i am none of these yet" laugh.png

Maybe compared to Pattaya that might fit, but compared to America there is plenty of action for heterosexual men.

Maybe compared to Pattaya that might fit, but compared to America there is plenty of action for heterosexual men.

It was just the way he said it, i know he is not old, he is certainly not boring, i just wondered if he was thinking of becoming gay!:)

No , I asked no such thing dude. Time to take that reading comprehension course? And as I said it is practice not legal limits that is important when talking about minimum wage.

Ok so prices including practice have nothing to do with wages? i see you have taken a number of useful coursesthumbsup.gif

your exact statement was

you didn't give the minimum wage for Pattaya so I will assume that Pattaya uses the Chonburi value

Ok so prices including practice have nothing to do with wages? i see you have taken a number of useful coursesthumbsup.gif

your exact statement was

you didn't give the minimum wage for Pattaya so I will assume that Pattaya uses the Chonburi value

I was thinking Chonburi the city. Fine, I know minimum wages are province dependent legally. It is easy to forget that Chiang Mai and Bangkok are also provinces especially before my first coffee and when reading quickly..

But a worker in Pattaya probably will in practice make more in Pattaya than in Chonburi City because the cost of living is less in Chonburi city.

Whatever, and not relevant anyways.

Edited by BugJackBaron

your exact statement was

I was thinking Chonburi the city. Fine, I'll concede minimum wages are province dependent legally. But a worker in Pattaya probably will in practice make more in Pattaya because the cost of living is less in Chonburi city.

Whatever, and not relevant anyways.

blink.png

so if the worker in pattaya will make more, does that mean business needs to make more also?? otherwise they can not pay morewhistling.gif

and if the business makes more and pays staff more, does that mean prices will also be more?whistling.gif

So if the prices are more, does that mean the costs are higher?whistling.gif

And if the costs are higher, would that mean that people buying the property, they would be paying more?whistling.gif

So if they paid more, does that mean they will charge higher rent to cover the mortgage payments?whistling.gif

And if there is a high demand for your property because it is in a good location, does that mean you will rent it out for the least amount of money? or the most?whistling.gif

Boy I can hardly keep up with all your smileys.

What I would charge would be a modest increase for inflation- but hey that's just me.

The problem is that the prices often go up unreasonably,sharply and

not just as an adjustment to inflation. The landlord decides he or she can get rich off the

work of the tenant.

What do you mean by "the most" amount of money? 300% increase? whatever I think is fair?

Whatever my cousin in Sala Daeng is charging?

Whatever I think I can gauge my tenant for?

Too often it is the last.

Would you guy mind taking the nit picking to another thread and leave this one to the topic discussion of the New York Deli spot that is recently opened.

Thanks

I agree but after that one report on the sweet mayo sandwich on white bread, what more is there to say?

Would you guy mind taking the nit picking to another thread and leave this one to the topic discussion of the New York Deli spot that is recently opened.

Thanks

I agree but after that one report on the sweet mayo sandwich on white bread, what more is there to say?

I realize that is not what you and I are looking for in a sandwich but maybe others here are? I must agree that after reading the few reports here that I have no intention of trying this place anytime soon.

Of course, they are newly opened and perhaps they will realize (from reading local forums perhaps) that what they are doing it not going to generate them a profit and might even take some notes and make some changes like sourcing their meats from the other spot you used to rave about..

then it's a win-win for all of us.

Thanks

I realize that is not what you and I are looking for in a sandwich but maybe others here are? I must agree that after reading the few reports here that I have no intention of trying this place anytime soon.

Of course, they are newly opened and perhaps they will realize (from reading local forums perhaps) that what they are doing it not going to generate them a profit and might even take some notes and make some changes like sourcing their meats from the other spot you used to rave about..

then it's a win-win for all of us.

Yeh, Burger King. whistling.gif

Perhaps. But I think its just a place for one off tourists coming from the beach and they have no expectation of an expat following. Not sure why we should take the place seriously as a New York deli when there isn't any evidence to do so. It's like that San Francisco cable car place in the same general area serving fast food burgers. Should we critique that as a serious restaurant serving San Franciscan or California cuisine? I think not. It is what it is.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Boy I can hardly keep up with all your smileys.

What I would charge would be a modest increase for inflation- but hey that's just me.

The problem is that the prices often go up unreasonably,sharply and

not just as an adjustment to inflation. The landlord decides he or she can get rich off the

work of the tenant.

What do you mean by "the most" amount of money? 300% increase? whatever I think is fair?

Whatever my cousin in Sala Daeng is charging?

Whatever I think I can gauge my tenant for?

Too often it is the last.

Please make a smart investment and buy a few educational materials from this store http://www.dummies.com/store/Business-Investing-Careers/Small-Business.html

I live in Jomtien and have been by this place a number of times. Nothing I have seen would make me go in and try it.

I looked at their menu, I looked at the kebob sitting on the spit outside, and I looked at what seemed to be the proprietor.

If this place has even the slightest resemblance to a NY Deli, I will eat my shoe.(flip flop)

I lived in NY until I was 11. My parents used to take me to Katz's on the lower East Side. Forget yer Carnegie and Stage

delis uptown. Those are OK. (I'd kill for one of their sandwiches now) but Katz's was the real deal. All you guys wishing

for 100 baht miracles are just plain dizzy. Ain't gonna happen. Don't even waste yer breath. You want the real deal?

Be prepared to shell out for it. There's no such thing as a free lunch and a cheap lunch is just that.

• Like 1