Bangkok To Close Saphan Taksin Skytrain Station To Ease Bottleneck

webfact

SKYTRAIN

BMA to close Saphan Taksin station to ease bottleneck

Thanatpong Kongsai

The Nation

30183268-01_big.jpg

Plans to spend Bt670m on walkway to Surasak Station Kanittha Thepchorn,

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to close down the Saphan Taksin Skytrain station in order to ease the bottleneck over its stretch across the Chao Phraya River.

"The BTSC has agreed to cooperate," Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said yesterday.

He unveiled the plan at a time when the BMA decision to award a Bt190billion contract to BTSC, the current operator of the Skytrain system, via Krungthep Thanakom (KT) is under intense scrutiny. KT is the legal investment arm of the city administration.

BTSC has a 30year concession for the original network of the Skytrain system, which has a combined length of 23.5 kilometres and 23 stations, including Saphan Taksin. Only after its concession expires in 2029, will all properties related to this original system belong to BMA.

"BTSC has the right to not cooperate, but it is willing to help. This is a reason why we have been working closely with BTSC all along," Sukhumbhand said.

The Bangkok governor and the BMA have recently faced severe criticism as to why it awarded such a big contract to BTSC without holding a public bidding. Under the 30year contract, the BTSC will provide the operations and maintenance services for two Skytrain extension routes for 30 years in addition to another 13 years from 2029 for the original network.

"We have to stick together because problems will sometimes arise and cooperation from the operator is needed for efficient solutions," Sukhumbhand said.

He said the Bangkok Council has already approved a budget of more than Bt670 million for installing an additional track on the area used by the Saphan Taksin Station, as well as constructing a 700metre Skywalk in addition to moving walkways for the convenience of passengers who will have to take the Skytrain from the Surasak Station instead.

"We will ensure that commuters continue to enjoy convenience. With the Skywalk and moving walkways, it will only take them five minutes to get from the Saphan Taksin Station to Surasak Station," he said, adding that about 4,000 commuters used the Saphan Taksin Station daily.

While there are two train tracks for most stretches of the Skytrain system, the portion across the Chao Phraya has just one track due to limited space, thus causing a bottleneck.

Sukhumbhand said that the BMA had initially sought permission from the Department of Rural Roads to expand the Taksin Bridge in order to make way for an additional track, but the department had said it was not possible.

"To find space for the additional track on our own, we will have to use the area currently occupied by the Saphan Taksin Station," the Bangkok governor said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Bangkok Governor Theerachon Manomaipiboon said the BMA would inform a BTSC coordination committee of the answer it had received from the Department of Rural Roads and present its plan to close down the Saphan Taksin Station.

"After that, we will seek permission from the interior minister to go ahead with this plan," he said.

In a related development, the House committee on anticorruption yesterday invited representatives of the Sasin Management Consulting (SMC) and the Council of State to testify over the controversial BTSC contract.

Led by Pheu Thai partylist MP Pol LtGeneral Wiroj Paoin, the committee is looking into allegations that the contract is mired with irregularities.

KT hired SMC as a consulting firm earlier this year. SMC executive Thana Siriwallop explained that the scope of the consultancy contract did not cover the estimated figure of Bt6.4 billion, which BMA claims it will save from awarding the 30year contract to BTSC.

"We have just looked at the proposal submitted by the BTSC to determine whether it is appropriate," Thana said, adding that KT had also hired other consulting firms before SMC stepped in early this year.

Chanis Klaisang from the Council of State said if a private company did not earn any other form of income from the contract apart from the money paid by the BMA, the contract would not fall under the PublicPrivate Partnerships Act.

Pheu Thai MPs believe that the contract might be in violation of this act.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-01

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see any good reason why they would want to get rid of Saphan Taksin. I undersatnd it was built as a temporary station initially but it serves a good purpose where it is.

The figure of 4000 commuters using the station may be correct, though perhaps economical with the facts.

Are tourists included on this 'commuter' figure?

I would think the tourist numbers using the station would be over 4000 a day in itself.

• Like 1

They should just build a new station back towards the city. The number of people using Saphan Taksin as an interchange with the river makes a 700 metre walk ridiculous.

But if they're not going to close it until they have the walkway done, we don't need to worry about for about 5 years.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted troll comment about a shoe.
  • Like 1

When do you ever hear of a part of a subway system being closed so soon after it being opened. The article doesn't describe what is the actual bottleneck either.

please read the article....

While there are two train tracks for most stretches of the Skytrain system, the portion across the Chao Phraya has just one track due to limited space, thus causing a bottleneck.

"We have to stick together because problems will sometimes arise and cooperation from the operator is needed for efficient solutions,"

*big sigh of relief* Bloody Hell that was close chaps, nearly had to go through a public scrutiny which means less money for us all! Imagine all that TRANSPARENCY! Be still my beating heart!

I can't see any good reason why they would want to get rid of Saphan Taksin. I undersatnd it was built as a temporary station initially but it serves a good purpose where it is.

The figure of 4000 commuters using the station may be correct, though perhaps economical with the facts.

Are tourists included on this 'commuter' figure?

I would think the tourist numbers using the station would be over 4000 a day in itself.

I think there are technical reasons. But I think it is important as it connects the Skytrain with the river-transport.

• Like 1

When do you ever hear of a part of a subway system being closed so soon after it being opened. The article doesn't describe what is the actual bottleneck either.

... and due to limited space, it will need to build the new track where the station currently sits hence the reason for shutting it down.

... and due to limited space, it will need to build the new track where the station currently sits hence the reason for shutting it down.

Well it functions now without having an extra track, and it is in place, so are the honestly saying that the best thing to do is to close it? Presumably the only way to remove the bottle neck entirely would be to knock it down, not close it. Closing it doesn't solve anything at all, the buildings would still be there.

This is all mafia c**p to do with the ferries and for some bizarre reason not wanting to connect anywhere south of the river to the public train systems. If anything, looking at the traffic jams coming across the bridge every minute of every day down there, 4000 (which is probably a gross underestimation) is good for reducing the traffic. I for one use it all the time to get to that end of town.

• Like 1

Well it functions now without having an extra track, and it is in place, so are the honestly saying that the best thing to do is to close it? Presumably the only way to remove the bottle neck entirely would be to knock it down, not close it. Closing it doesn't solve anything at all, the buildings would still be there.

This is all mafia c**p to do with the ferries and for some bizarre reason not wanting to connect anywhere south of the river to the public train systems. If anything, looking at the traffic jams coming across the bridge every minute of every day down there, 4000 (which is probably a gross underestimation) is good for reducing the traffic. I for one use it all the time to get to that end of town.

I'm pretty sure the plan is to knock it down to take out the bottle neck, but just not having the trains stop there will remove a lot of the bottle neck anyway.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted troll comment about a shoe.
  • Like 1

One track is one track.

So, the bottleneck will move to where, again?

One track will become two tracks when they close and knock down the station.

\

Well that makes a little more sense, so why didn't they say demolish and lay a second track instead of close?

Well that makes a little more sense, so why didn't they say demolish and lay a second track instead of close?

He said the Bangkok Council has already approved a budget of more than Bt670 million for installing an additional track on the area used by the Saphan Taksin Station, as well as constructing a 700metre Skywalk in addition to moving walkways for the convenience of passengers who will have to take the Skytrain from the Surasak Station instead.

I don't think you actually read the article. That's the second thing you missed.

There goes that Ferry ride from the station to the Hotels that are nearby (Sheraton etc). The guests will now instead have to be picked up from the Surasak station. They ain't gone walk 700 Meters to catch the ferry.

Excellent planning! The only station that connects the sky-train to the river boats, and since there's a temple on each side, I guess it can't be expanded. 4,000 passengers per day seems awfully low though. I use the station frequently, and there's a very big crowd getting on and off the trains at every single arrival/departure. Oh well... TiT... rolleyes.gif

Planning?????

This here is Thailand, planning is something very German......

Actually there are two tracks across the river but they have to switch to single track near the Bangkok side as the station is located where the second track should be.

If they are building a moving walkway they should also continue it over the river and build some 'park and ride' car parks to ease traffic on the bridge.

...the BMA had initially sought permission from the Department of Rural Roads to expand the Taksin Bridge... we will seek permission from the interior minister to go ahead with this plan [to close Saphan Taksin Station].

I have two questions:

1. Why is permission of the Department of Rural Roads needed, to expand a bridge in the heart of Bangkok city?

2. Why does a Metropolitan Authority need permission by the interior minister to close down a metro train station?

...the BMA had initially sought permission from the Department of Rural Roads to expand the Taksin Bridge... we will seek permission from the interior minister to go ahead with this plan [to close Saphan Taksin Station].

I have two questions:

1. Why is permission of the Department of Rural Roads needed, to expand a bridge in the heart of Bangkok city?

2. Why does a Metropolitan Authority need permission by the interior minister to close down a metro train station?

Were these organisations even aware that they had to be asked?

• Like 2

I use this station frequently, and during the busy times I have never really seen what one could class as a bottleneck, yes sometimes a train has to wait while the train in the opposite direction clears the track but you are talking less than one minute, I have never had to wait for a train at Saphin Thaksin longer than I have had to wait elsewhere.

I have never had to wait for a train at Saphin Thaksin longer than I have had to wait elsewhere.

I think that's the point, that you have to wait less anywhere on that line.

I have two questions:

1. Don't be fooled by the high-rise buildings and the shiny cars. Thailand is rural, period.

2. Because nobody wants to be responsible for any decissions. The signing of the documents will probably be left to some soon-to-retire bureaucrat who has little to lose if it doesn't work out as planned. Remember the excuses for the delays of the Baering extension?

• Like 1

I use this station frequently, and during the busy times I have never really seen what one could class as a bottleneck, yes sometimes a train has to wait while the train in the opposite direction clears the track but you are talking less than one minute, I have never had to wait for a train at Saphin Thaksin longer than I have had to wait elsewhere.

Departures are less frequent on Silom Line than on Sukhumvit Line due to this bottleneck. Ever been to Siam Station during morning rush hour?

Departures are less frequent on Silom Line than on Sukhumvit Line due to this bottleneck. Ever been to Siam Station during morning rush hour?

Yes, I change trains there, but you can't tell me there are many more people waiting for the Silom line there than for the Sukhumvit line. I don't think the amount of people waiting there is caused by Saphin Thaksin station