Suu Kyi Talks To Chalerm On Workers' Issues

webfact

Suu Kyi talks to Chalerm on workers' issues

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

30183267-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prodemocracy icon turned Myanmar parliamentarian Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday met with Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung at Government House to discuss problems faced by Myanmar workers, including abuse at the hands of Thai employers, along with other issues.

Raising with Chalerm complaints she had heard from Myanmar workers during her visits to various locations in Thailand on Wednesday, Suu Kyi said the abuses included lack of care from employers, seizure of their passports and nonpayment of severance pay and compensation for occupational hazards. Chalerm reportedly told her: "Disregard them, that was the past. The new government has clear policies on how to solve or minimise those problems."

During their conversation, Suu Kyi was heard saying jokingly to Chalerm: "Thai authorities are obliged to ensure Myanmar workers live happily in Thailand, or I will take all of them back home when the situation in Myanmar is better."

Suu Kyi also expressed thanks to Thai authorities for having sheltered and taken care of war refugees, while Chalerm gave a promise that they would not be returned home unless their safety was guaranteed. He also said that when the Bt300 minimum daily wage took effect throughout Thailand in June, all registered Myanmar workers would be paid the same amount.

Chalerm told Suu Kyi that Myanmar workers were important to Thailand's economy because they did difficult and unpleasant jobs. Chalerm praised Suu Kyi's fight for democracy and wished her a victory in the general election in 2016.

In Tak, largescale preparations were made to welcome Suu Kyi during her visit tomorrow(June 2), especially to the famous Mae Tao clinic operated by Karen physician Dr Cynthia Maung. The clinic gives free or lowcost treatments to about 400 Myanmar workers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-01

During their conversation, Suu Kyi was heard saying jokingly to Chalerm: "Thai authorities are obliged to ensure Myanmar workers live happily in Thailand, or I will take all of them back home when the situation in Myanmar is better."

Yeah cos old Chalerm loves a bit of a giggle doesn't he. Mr "Laugh A Minute" they call him in parliament.

• Like 1

Suu Kyi also expressed thanks to Thai authorities for having sheltered and taken care of war refugees, while Chalerm gave a promise that they would not be returned home unless their safety was guaranteed. He also said that when the Bt300 minimum daily wage took effect throughout Thailand in June, all registered Myanmar workers would be paid the same amount.

I would like to see him squirm out of this one.

Oh the tangled web we weave.

Was she joking though?

Aung San Suu Kyi asks Thailand to assist Myanmar workers

workers.jpeg

BANGKOK, 1 June 2012 (NNT) – Myanmar’s democracy icon has asked Thailand to extend necessary assistance and ensure sound living conditions for millions of Myanmar workers in the country.

On Thursday, Myanmar’s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi held a meeting with Thai Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung, during which both discussed the issues surrounding the problems of Myanmar workers in Thailand.

During the 1-hour discussion, Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi has asked DPM Chalerm to ensure that Thai entrepreneurs will offer Myanmar workers a fair treatment, after many have complained of difficult living conditions as their passports have been taken away by employers.

She has stressed with Mr. Chalerm that unless the Thai government provides sound employment conditions, she will urge all workers to return home.

The Thai Deputy PM said that he had assured Myanmar’s opposition leader that the government has resolved several problems she was raising, particularly the nationality verification, which enables workers to earn a high minimum wage of 300 baht and to be covered under the 30-baht universal healthcare system, just like Thai workers.

According to Mr. Chalerm, there are currently around 2 million Myanmar workers in Thailand, and around 800,000 of them have been registered and the rest are being processed under the collaboration of the governments of Thailand and Myanmar.

He also assured Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi that Thailand will treat all Myanmar refugees under the principles of human rights and will offer them refuge until the situation in Myanmar returns to normal.

The Thai DPM said that, since 2005, Thailand has helped around 77,000 refugees relocate to the third countries.

At the end of the meeting, Mr. Chalerm wished Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi a victory in the 2016 elections.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-01 footer_n.gif

She has won numerous international awards, including the Nobel Peace Prize, the Sakharov Prize from the European Parliament, and the United States Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Any potential Thai candidates spring immediately to mind?

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

Was she joking though?

She was not joking, she even added "By the way, in the future, we'll treat the Thai migrant workers in Burma as you treated the Burmese migrant workers in Thailand in the past."

We heard that, fleeing the coup, thousands of Thai people are hosted in refugees camps at the border. Burmese side.

If only Chalerm could manage to muster 1% of the adoration of Suu Kyi, but alas, it would involve a complete personality transplant, and the technology just isn't there yet.

Complete transplant / reversal of values and morals, and telling the truth might be worth a try.

Beauty and the Beast

She for sure is a beauty and I have a feeling that if she had the power she could become a real beast dealing with certain Thai Government employes from top to bottom and some of the unsavory employers who are abusing the Burmese labors

Yesterday I made my visa-run to Mae Sot. I saw 8 big buses (most from Chonburi) and hundreds of Burmese people (families included) to go back to Burma. Most of them were not the poorest , the exploited workers.

At the border many factories employing Burmese workers lost already a significant number of their staff and have to close. (Undersupply of Adidad-, Cammel -, Nieke- ,Lacouste-shirts... and all kinds of bras in Chiang Mai

is expected.)

----------

3 km near my home a pickup truck on a sideroad with 20 illegal Burmese workers seeing a police car crashed into a tree. 7 deceased, the others seriously injured.

Meeting point for the pick up was a well-known place for human trafficking. Everyone knows but close his mouth. Me too.

Did your hear about this accident in the press or the TV (about 6 days ago). Could the Big Bosses behind stop the publication?

Was she joking though?

There is truth in jest...I would not be a bit surprised if she did take them back...After all...Who's going to work in all those hotels and corporate offices the West is planning to build...?