On Tour! Today'S Destination: Loei, Thailand!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea

Tony,

How about posting a sticky about various rides around Thailand, with comments about pros and cons, level of difficulty (whether suitable for beginners or advanced riders only, a bit like grading ski slopes), recommended overnight stops, restaurants etc etc?

Everyone can then post their own observations as well.

What's the go with spamming other peoples threads with advertising? I would have thought TV would be onto that like a fly on stink...

Great report as usual Tony... although I seem to be missing the report on your visit to 'Lobot' when you were in Loei... I'll re-read now to be sure...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I agree, all the roads can be enjoyed by riders with different experience and skill levels, you just ride them according to your ability. I often ride with someone more skilled than I am with more experience, a much better bike and bigger balls but we still enjoy the same roads.

I don't think "cojones" play a role to be honest. Maybe on the racetrack (but I haven't done that so not sure).

But on public roads, it's skill and awareness. If you "need balls" to pull off a higher speed, chances are you're going too fast.

You only need to be brave to go above your ability. If you remain within your ability, it might be much faster than somebody else is going - but it's still safe. You don't need to be brave, just enjoy, and improve your skills - great, right? :)

Anyway this was an awesome trip, love that photo with the vertically challenged gas station attendants...

[One thing I realized after watching the 1333 video above is that my rear brake lever is too high up, I always touch it inadvertently. I cooked my rear brakes like that one time already - need to get it fixed]

I agree, all the roads can be enjoyed by riders with different experience and skill levels, you just ride them according to your ability. I often ride with someone more skilled than I am with more experience, a much better bike and bigger balls but we still enjoy the same roads.

I don't think "cojones" play a role to be honest. Maybe on the racetrack (but I haven't done that so not sure).

But on public roads, it's skill and awareness. If you "need balls" to pull off a higher speed, chances are you're going too fast.

You only need to be brave to go above your ability. If you remain within your ability, it might be much faster than somebody else is going - but it's still safe. You don't need to be brave, just enjoy, and improve your skills - great, right? smile.png

Anyway this was an awesome trip, love that photo with the vertically challenged gas station attendants...

[One thing I realized after watching the 1333 video above is that my rear brake lever is too high up, I always touch it inadvertently. I cooked my rear brakes like that one time already - need to get it fixed]

Actually, I think 'cojones' does play a big part in becoming a better rider. In an activity like riding which carries with it certain inherent risks, one must train one's mind to overcome the natural fear of sliding, falling etc. A better rider will be able to lean a bike more than a newbie; for the better rider, it's because of experience gained, for the newbie, it's primarily because of the fear of falling. In this instance, bigger balls must help surely.

You only need to be brave to go above your ability. If you remain within your ability, it might be much faster than somebody else is going - but it's still safe. You don't need to be brave, just enjoy, and improve your skills - great, right? smile.png

Actually, I think 'cojones' does play a big part in becoming a better rider. In an activity like riding which carries with it certain inherent risks, one must train one's mind to overcome the natural fear of sliding, falling etc. A better rider will be able to lean a bike more than a newbie; for the better rider, it's because of experience gained, for the newbie, it's primarily because of the fear of falling. In this instance, bigger balls must help surely.

Exactly! A rider with bigger balls (braver) is likely to attempt more skilled riding techniques with increased lean angles, be later on the brakes, higher speeds etc than one who isn't as brave so may be more likely to have a spill. I don't ride to my limits as I have a 2yr old daughter so she is always in the back of my mind when I ride and therefore I don't ride as bravely as I would have done if I'd started riding pre-fatherhood.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

good fun man. congrats.

i passed around Nan many times and recently 2 months ago during my solo cage ride for some businesses up there in Lampang, Phayao, Chiang Rai and then Nan. I took the secondary roads as always.

To me, greats roads over there for biking.

It was even fun to ride a cage on that roads.

thanks for the photos and adventure.

no time to go out Bangkok nowadays super busy...sad.png

good fun man. congrats.

i passed around Nan many times and recently 2 months ago during my solo cage ride for some businesses up there in Lampang, Phayao, Chiang Rai and then Nan. I took the secondary roads as always.

whats " a cage " ??

good fun man. congrats.

whats " a cage " ??

a car.

Exactly! A rider with bigger balls (braver) is likely to attempt more skilled riding techniques with increased lean angles, be later on the brakes, higher speeds etc than one who isn't as brave so may be more likely to have a spill. I don't ride to my limits as I have a 2yr old daughter so she is always in the back of my mind when I ride and therefore I don't ride as bravely as I would have done if I'd started riding pre-fatherhood.

Haha. I have a few offsprings myself, the youngest being just 10 months old but the thought of lying in a hospital bed for months coupled with rising medical bills are just too horrific to contemplate. Having said that, overcoming fear makes one a better rider. Guess I'll just have to look round for some lessons in intermediate / advanced riding. Read that someone at Bira offers this. Has anyone any experience of this?

I guess we all have to agree to disagree then. Hey I seem to be in the minority. Why do we ride? To enjoy. And the best feeling is when you're really in the zone, feeling one with the bike, and happy about the road. There's no fear involved, only excitement. That's why I think you don't need to be brave - just need to feel it. I am not always in that place but that's what we ride for. And if not in the zone, I am not racing, I don't need to "win", so I take it to where I am comfortable. Soon enough I'll get back into it anyway.

I've done semi professional sports before so I can imagine that if I'm on the racetrack and it's really important to win, then yeah, getting out of the comfort zone, risking some falls to learn the limits much faster, that's probably the way to do it. Within reason. On the road that would be crazy though. The road is not a racetrack.

Edited by nikster