There Can Be No Comparison: Thai Opinion

webfact

Aung San Suu Kyi spent fifteen years under house arrest for committing no crimes. She has battled tirelessly for the rights of poor people and advancement of democracy. She spent her years of house arrest with dignity, writing books and painting pictures.

Thaksin has spent no time under arrest for his catalog of plunderous banditry crimes, from which he is not only on the run but has sacrificed the lives of poor uneducated rural people in an prolonged attempt to keep himself out of prison. He likes to visit despised antidemocratic massmurderers in Cambodia and give them a great big hug for the cameras.

Yingluck is a pilotless drone.

coffee1.gif

Very well said.

Elect a mafia boss, get a ganster PM, that refuses to leave. Remove him and then they replace him with the mafia boss's sister until the mafia boss can get his crimes expunged and take back the PM and run Thailand again like a mob family. Did he forget that he will need the King's permission?

Was Aung San Suu Kyi sending any message, subtle or otherwise, by meeting with Abhisit before Yingluck

No.What a silly piece of wishful thinking.

It's perfectly true that ASSK has more in common with Abhisit.However the latter did precisely nothing to support her cause when in power - precisely following Thaksin's policy and that of the Thai generals.ASSK does not warm to politicians resting on military support.Yingluck doesn't carry that kind of baggage and has a genuine democratic mandate.

• Like 1

Yes, no comparison between Aung San Suu Kyi and Yingluck nor between Abhisit and Yingluck.

Bringing Thaksin Back Will Cause Tension in Thailand

Mon 28 May 12 | 08:30 PM ET

Abhisit Vejjajiva, Leader of Thailand's Democrat Party, said bringing former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra back to Thailand will bring tension and conflict to the country.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000092768&play=1

Thailand's Yingluck on Reconciliation Law, May 31

May 31 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg's Haslinda Amin reports on Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra comments about her ruling party's moves to pass a law that may exonerate her fugitive brother, Thaksin Shinawatra. Yingluck spoke from the World Economic Forum on East Asia in Bangkok. Amin reports on Bloomberg Television's "First Look." (Source: Bloomberg)

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/93686315-thailand-s-yingluck-on-reconciliation-law.html

Was Aung San Suu Kyi sending any message, subtle or otherwise, by meeting with Abhisit before Yingluck

Link to Photo:

http://newshopper.su...oto_2237102.htm

Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, left, shakes hands with Thai opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva during their meeting in Bangkok, Thailand Wednesday, May 30, 2012.

Is it being wishful to ask a question?

I suppose it was silly of me to ask for a reasonable explanation as to why she chose to meet with Abhisit before Yingluck.

Edited by Buchholz

Link to Photo:

Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, left, shakes hands with Thai opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva during their meeting in Bangkok, Thailand Wednesday, May 30, 2012.

I suppose it was silly of me to ask for a reasonable explanation as to why she chose to meet with Abhisit before Yingluck.

And it was equally silly to believe that you would receive an informed reply on this forum; I didn't realise you might be so ingenuous.

Link to Photo:

And it was equally silly to believe that you would receive an informed reply on this forum; I didn't realise you might be so ingenuous.

Why? There's speculation on here for everything under the sun. I just thought perhaps a rational explanation might be forthcoming as to why the precedence in meeting was afforded to the opposition.

Would you care to take that actual question on?

Why? There's speculation on here for everything under the sun. I just thought perhaps a rational explanation might be forthcoming as to why the precedence in meeting was afforded to the opposition.

Would you care to take that actual question on?

I believe that Yingluk was temporarily unavailable due to an appointment with her beautician. With hi-so ladies of a certain age it takes more time, effort and expertise to maintain that "It's 7pm and the vampire just climbed out of her coffin" look.

• Like 1

It's perfectly true that ASSK has more in common with Abhisit.However the latter did precisely nothing to support her cause when in power - precisely following Thaksin's policy and that of the Thai generals.ASSK does not warm to politicians resting on military support.Yingluck doesn't carry that kind of baggage and has a genuine democratic mandate.

I don't think Yingluk has carried luggage in her life. As far as political accoutrements she not only had no bags, she was bloody close to being naked.

No one is arguing her mandate, the bill is an abuse of parliamentary power.

Link to Photo:

Could be any number of reasons. Or maybe she just feels she has more in common with Abhisit.

Edited by bigbamboo

The one might wonder, who dares to compare people like these? Wonder, why the columnist get the feeling to write something like this.

We can't compare "The Lady" to any other politicians in the modern world, it would be a sheer folly. She is definitely in another league.

No doubt in my mind that that is why the comparison was done.

To show the people of Thailand that Myanmar has a tireless leader

and campaigner for human and a true crusader for the poor, while

Thailand is led by crooks and thieves who only love who they see

in the mirror

It is all very well ASSK having these wonderful idealogies and it is a tragedy she has spent so long under house arrest. However anyone can speak about populist idealogies, now she is out of exile and seemingly allowed to be involved in politics, lets actually see her put some of these idealogies into action.

Link to Photo:

Could be any number of reasons. Or maybe she just feels she has more in common with Abhisit.

Or maybe she hasn't forgotten the Shinawatra's shady business dealings with the Burmese junta??

How can there be a comparison when someone puts their country before their husband and children. Smutcakes sometime it isn't what you do but the insperation and hope you instill in people who have nothing and have no prospects of anything.

The sacrifice this woman has made for her country has no comparison in modern times even Gandi was not kept in isolation for years and removed from his family unsure of what was to come.

This comparison is preposterous. You could compare any of Thailand's past "leaders" to Aung San Suu Kyi and they would come up short. It would be like comparing Nelson Mandela to any other African leader. Thailand has always lacked a purposeful, passionate, inspirational leader that its people could admire and aspire to be. Ironically, Thaksin is about the closest that one could find to standing in the definition and shoes of a leader.

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Suu Kyi is prepared to put her country first even if that means the loss of her life, Yingluck isn't even prepared to get her Burberry boots wet-- it is like trying to compare an ant and an elephant.

As i think ant´s are hard working creatures, I would change that to a "dog-flea"wink.png

Elect a mafia boss, get a ganster PM, that refuses to leave. Remove him and then they replace him with the mafia boss's sister until the mafia boss can get his crimes expunged and take back the PM and run Thailand again like a mob family. Did he forget that he will need the King's permission?

No matter how this mess turns out, Thaksin will never get it. I remember him crying on TV when he didn't get it the last time.

Link to Photo:

She chose to meet the one with a brain.rolleyes.gif