What'S With Farangs & Their Thai Gfs Holding Hands All The Time

xthAi76s

It's hardly a B/G and non-B/G thing, plenty of Asian women hold hands with their boyfriend outside of Thailand as well as in Thailand. Seen it and experienced it on many an occasion myself and that's without skulking around B/G hang outs. It just looks odd when the bloke is 60 and the girl 23, perhaps wink.png

Precisely... Some can't accept that this is the reason some look on in distaste and perhaps others in awe (just to please the older fraternity !..

Couples walking around are noticeable.

Couples walking around holding hands are more noticeable, but less so as Thailand modernises.

A mixed couple is even more noticeable, but less so as Thailand develops.

A mixed couple holding hands is even more noticeable, but less so as Thailand modernises and develops.

And, a mixed couple with a large age gap again is more noticeable, but less controversial as Thailand develops.

Then, a mixed couple with a large age gap holding hands is more noticeable, again less controversial to some as Thailand develops.

A mixed couple will stick out more than a Thai couple holding hands, thats why we notice the mixed couple more. The holding hands part perhaps just exaggerates this..... and through the spectrum of variables couples of anything to everything are noticed to various degrees and accepted to variable degrees by the rest of the spectrum of society.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if already stated as I only read the 1st page but............

I personally think it is cool to hold hands with the one you love as you

cross the streets of life.

I always smile when my wife of 5 years slips her arm into mine as we walk

somewhere.

also nothing warms my heart more than seeing older folks going down the street the same way.

I like to think of the many years they have done so together & always wish them well in my mind.

• Like 2

Sorry if already stated as I only read the 1st page but............

I personally think it is cool to hold hands with the one you love as you

cross the streets of life.

I always smile when my wife of 5 years slips her arm into mine as we walk

somewhere.

also nothing warms my heart more than seeing older folks going down the street the same way.

I like to think of the many years they have done so together & always wish them well in my mind.

Just to offer you my services as a reader. The OP was about Bar Girls (Thai Visas favorite topic) and the supposed Thai lady posting excluded arm holding as OK and said it was hand holding that the Thais were not into except Bar Girls of course which is what the OP was about. It is another one of those attempts to slag off guys who happen to marry Bar Girls and make the OP feel special because he thinks he did not marry a Bar girl. I'll quote the OP because you probably don't believe me. The OP wrote, "almost ALWAYS Falangs with their BG-looking GFs/wives?" And the OP asks the poingant question. "Are all the BGs being trained in the same school that encourages hand holding?"

Most countries I know of and have visited I see couples holding hands. I myself love holding hands and to me it's not only a nice sign of affection but also shows that I am proud to let people know this is my partner. While I agree it's not common practice in Thailand as public affection is not tradition I don't agree that it's only falangs. I see many Thais holding hands and my TGF likes to do it and even gives me the occasional public kiss on the cheek. She is from a very traditional small village and while we do not go overboard with affection she very much likes people to know I am hers.

Edited by irlguy1

It's hardly a B/G and non-B/G thing, plenty of Asian women hold hands with their boyfriend outside of Thailand as well as in Thailand. Seen it and experienced it on many an occasion myself and that's without skulking around B/G hang outs. It just looks odd when the bloke is 60 and the girl 23, perhaps wink.png

Precisely... Some can't accept that this is the reason some look on in distaste and perhaps others in awe (just to please the older fraternity !..

Couples walking around holding hands are more noticeable, but less so as Thailand modernises.

A mixed couple holding hands is even more noticeable, but less so as Thailand modernises and develops.

And, a mixed couple with a large age gap again is more noticeable, but less controversial as Thailand develops.

Then, a mixed couple with a large age gap holding hands is more noticeable, again less controversial to some as Thailand develops.

A mixed couple will stick out more than a Thai couple holding hands, thats why we notice the mixed couple more. The holding hands part perhaps just exaggerates this..... and through the spectrum of variables couples of anything to everything are noticed to various degrees and accepted to variable degrees by the rest of the spectrum of society.

Do you fall down many uncovered drains?

im usually not that obtuse, but this makes little sense to me. please explain

Well with all the interaction between couples he finds so note worthy, I doubt he has time to notice where he is walking....

Edited by 473geo

Well with all the interaction between couples he finds so note worthy, I doubt he has time to notice where he is walking....

And I'm a complete walking liability when I see a ladyboy holding hands with Westerner....

And I'm a complete walking liability when I see a ladyboy holding hands with Westerner....

I guess you don't know that lady boys may be quite young. Kindergarten and grade school and the Westerner may be thier teacher. Just saying......

I've seen a ladyboy walking hand in hand with a western woman in paragon.

Yes usually new couples do hold hands; In my country anyway

it's called RO-MANCE

does not last unfortunately sad.png

I never see real, respectable Thai women holding hands with their Thai boyfriends/husbands... Only Falangs. Are Falangs the only ones making new relationships?

Investigate this with Thai people for Thai uses... Living with Thais, speak Thai, will make you 'understand', I didn't say accept, but understand who 'Do' and 'Do not'... you can go to a Thai forum and ask the same question

What is going on here, is that Thai men are some of the least romantic creatures on the planet. So, many Thai women who are with farengs are able to enjoy some affection and romance. Most Thais are too hung up on what strangers think of them to hold hands or enjoy any PDA. I am not saying there are not other motivations for a Thai woman to enjoy being with a fareng. But I have heard countless Thai women complain about Thai men and it is often the same set of complaints. Perhaps Thai men should try harder?

I thought the Thai dudes are the slickest sweet talkers on earth. But of course if you're following the instructions from parents in order to marry into another family for business reasons, the honey would flow into the indecent direction of mia noi's in private. More fun and all that.

Many feel that there are some aspects of tradition which are of value, and other aspects which belong in the bin of history. Just because this is the way it was always done, does not make it right. Perhaps Thailand will benefit from the breaking of some of it's more stifling conventions, like the fear of public demonstrations of affection. Living with your heart, and less worry about utter rubbish like saving face. Perhaps saving face is a mere excuse for a lack of inner work, and self improvement.

• Like 1

I never see real, respectable Thai women holding hands with their Thai boyfriends/husbands... Only Falangs. Are Falangs the only ones making new relationships?

Either you don't get out much, totally exaggerating "never", or self-defining "respectable" as "people that don't hold hands".

I see young Thai couples holding hands, arm in arm, arm on shoulder whatever, on the Skytrain in the malls in the street etc. **every day**. Not as often as I see at-least-one-foreigner couples, but I'd say as often as I see Thais reading on public transport, which again is **every day**.

What is going on here, is that Thai men are some of the least romantic creatures on the planet.

Perhaps Thai men should try harder?

Perhaps you should stop believing girls telling you what you want to hear. Or maybe you're only talking to ones that have had a hard time with Thai men - I'm not saying they're all angels believe me - and that's why they're talking to you.

I thought the Thai dudes are the slickest sweet talkers on earth. But of course if you're following the instructions from parents in order to marry into another family for business reasons, the honey would flow into the indecent direction of mia noi's in private. More fun and all that.

Romantic sweet talkers use their skills wherever needed, and often even where not, just for fun.

And what's "indecent" about a mia noi?

Many feel that there are some aspects of tradition which are of value, and other aspects which belong in the bin of history. Just because this is the way it was always done, does not make it right. Perhaps Thailand will benefit from the breaking of some of it's more stifling conventions, like the fear of public demonstrations of affection. Living with your heart, and less worry about utter rubbish like saving face. Perhaps saving face is a mere excuse for a lack of inner work, and self improvement.

You might as well try to remove love of money and consumerism from modern culture.

Perhaps it's worth trying to gently influence those few intimates where you might have such leverage, but IMO just better not to bang your head against such deeply embedded cultural mores and learn to just accept and deal with reality as it presents itself.

And what's "indecent" about a mia noi?

Judging from the reaction from my wife when asked if I can have one since all my friends have one too (learned this one in school, they never do check do they) there must be something indecent about it. I'm still talking two octaves higher.

1/ Age gap has always existed and was more common two generations ago, so called "development" has nothing to do with the judgement passed on these couples.

2/ Acceptance of other races and nationalities, or acceptance of exposing private life like holding hand is a about tolerance and freedom of individuals to do as they please and yes it has to do with being liberal or not.

3/ Age gap issue is the opposite, as the age gap is about selling one's youth over to access a better life (ie a guy richer and older with a younger/poorer woman). It is implying an unbalanced and biased relationship based on a monetary motivation.

So the people who are staring are rightly questioning the actual validity of supposed love couple, and the predicament of a woman who has to put up with much older guy and sell herself to climb the social ladder.

• Like 1

So the people who are staring are rightly questioning the actual validity of supposed love couple, and the predicament of a woman who has to put up with much older guy and sell herself to climb the social ladder.

I've many times wondered what people get out of questioning other people's lives. A warm fuzzy feeling, self-esteem boost, a touch of superiority, validation for their own value system ? Has to be something there, because a very vocal 1/20th of any population are always sticking their noses in matters that have zilch to do with them.

And why not? Most of times, these are young uneducated girls selling their life to twisted old men in need of ego boosting, it is quite rightly a basic civic concern to wonder about their lot ermm.gif

• Like 1

I've many times wondered what people get out of questioning other people's lives. A warm fuzzy feeling, self-esteem boost, a touch of superiority, validation for their own value system ? Has to be something there, because a very vocal 1/20th of any population are always sticking their noses in matters that have zilch to do with them.

And why not? Most of times, these are young uneducated girls selling their life to twisted old men in need of ego boosting, it is quite rightly a basic civic concern to wonder about their lot ermm.gif

Ah, so you're concerned about the young uneducated girls selling their lives cheaply, they ought to be able to bag a young stud and not an old geezer ? Market value, hey that I can relate with. Must truly suck to live in the middle of the discount bin, especially if moved here from the luxury shelf. Applies for women only, of course, the twisted old geezers most probably love it.

I suppose the concerned people are attending civic rights groups then ? Can't imagine yapping on Internet forums will make much change.