What'S With Farangs & Their Thai Gfs Holding Hands All The Time

xthAi76s

I am a Thai lady and proud of it, I am married with a western man who loves thailand, culture, and family, he oftern say's to me that many western NOT ALL people have lost thier culture and do not care or show respect for others and only thier opinions are worth anything, but my husband is a clever man as he is not interested in B/G's, prostitues, or ever go into a bar, that is his choice.

When I said holding hands in public it is not polite or correct culture I am very right, I guess it is all how and to what standard people are rised.

If you have seen, meet with, or even marry a "respectable B/G then you have a very diferent take on what is the meaning of "respectable", up to you.

also why do you get defencive if i make a negative comment about a B/G, is it a little to close to home for you???

Of course, you are correct. It's a matter of "community standards," and you would know. But it's tough educating some of these foreigners. Some of them are pretty stubborn. The other word would be ignorant.

So are you saying that a Thai woman who holds hands in public is ignorant?

I think she is saying that any thai woman who holds hands in public is probably a bar Girl. I really have to take serious exception to this. My wife is a successful business woman with a degree, well travelled and speaks Thai, English, Dutch and Mandarin. My wife enjoys buying clothes that I am sure "Wildorchid', would find inappropriate, and I know for a fact her very traditional mother and father find them so, But i would say that they are certainly not worn by the average thai Bar-Girl, I know this because I often buy them and have to settle the credit card bill at the end of the month. My wife also enjoys holding my hand in public, as does my 13 year old daughter, perhaps "wildorchid" and "berkshire' would like to now accuse my 13 year old daughter of Ignorance or some more serious impropriety.

I first arrived in this country in 1981, and while i will allow that throughout the 80's there were few Thai's seen holding hands, I submit that today, it is (in bangkok at least) virtually commonplace, and, to suggest that because Thai tradition states that showing affection in public is frowned upon, then today this practice is also frowned upon and is only carried out by people with..shall we say looser morals is rediculous demeaning and insulting to me, to my wife and to my daughter. Perhaps "wildorchid" would like to turn the clock back a couple of hundred years to the Thai culture practised then, in which case, she would have no problem exposing her breasts in public as was the Thai culture of the time??.

NO'P that's at all what I was saying, have another read, agian I siply answer a question and gave an hounest answer, nothing more nothing less.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i will give you the correct answer, you only see falang and B/G hold hands in public but not "respectable thai woman" WHY? :A respectable thai woman can not hold hands, hug, or kiss, in public or even in the family home when other family members or visiters can see them, it is not polite, not correct culture, But B/G's can do anything in public and wear anything ,very short skirt, low cut top, very short shorts, now ask yourself when you ever see a "normal, respectable thai woman do this???,never, But B/G's can as they do not care about polite or correct culture because they will do what ever it take to keep the falang happy and with her for a long time therefor more money!!! Also many 5 star hotels will not let B/G's in as security will block them, and often you can see govenment buildings and offices have a sign "please wear polite cloths" But you WILL see a respectable thai man/ falang man, thai woman, hold the elbow or forarm as this is far more polite and acceptable.

also try asking any thai grandmother or grandfarther, they will give you the same answer.

Tell me wildorchid just out of interest, how is internet dating, sending messages to foreign men, viewed by your grandparents?

I can not answer for my grandperants because they do not know about the internet.

But one time they did see a thai lady wearing bikini and kiss falang on the beach, they said take me back home they can not accept this, as i said it depends on the way we are raised and the standard we hold ourselves in.

why all this? All i did was answer a question at the start of this, Why falang hold hands with B/G's? and respectable thai ladys do not? my answer is as correct to the best of my limitted knowege of thai custum and culture such as it is only a little more than 30 years, but if you claim to know more then please enlighten us all.

I am not doubting your experience, but surely you accept that the experiences offered by posters here would suggest that perhaps times are changing, so the current situation maybe a little different, for instance, you quote an example of your grandparents, what of your friends the same age? would they leave the beach at the sight of a Thai lady in a bikini kissing a farang?

Ok i will give you the correct answer, you only see falang and B/G hold hands in public but not "respectable thai woman" WHY? :A respectable thai woman can not hold hands, hug, or kiss, in public or even in the family home when other family members or visiters can see them, it is not polite, not correct culture, But B/G's can do anything in public and wear anything ,very short skirt, low cut top, very short shorts, now ask yourself when you ever see a "normal, respectable thai woman do this???,never, But B/G's can as they do not care about polite or correct culture because they will do what ever it take to keep the falang happy and with her for a long time therefor more money!!! Also many 5 star hotels will not let B/G's in as security will block them, and often you can see govenment buildings and offices have a sign "please wear polite cloths" But you WILL see a respectable thai man/ falang man, thai woman, hold the elbow or forarm as this is far more polite and acceptable.

also try asking any thai grandmother or grandfarther, they will give you the same answer.

Tell me wildorchid just out of interest, how is internet dating, sending messages to foreign men, viewed by your grandparents?

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

And how would they view same sex marriage?

http://www.thaivisa....53#entry5338553

Can any one tell me why nothing is being done with the power lines in thailand (visual pollution) not only is it ugly to see in such a beautiful country but it's dangerous as in the province i live it hangs down and blocks walk ways and often roads, My wife saw the power companys truck blocked by fallen cabels and they just move the cable over the truck and kepped going without fixing the probblem, WHAT THE?????

Why don't thailand look at another country's underground power supplyor at least a properly installed power pole system?

I love derailing topics too

I am a Thai lady and proud of it, I am married with a western man who loves thailand, culture, and family, he oftern say's to me that many western NOT ALL people have lost thier culture and do not care or show respect for others and only thier opinions are worth anything, but my husband is a clever man as he is not interested in B/G's, prostitues, or ever go into a bar, that is his choice.

When I said holding hands in public it is not polite or correct culture I am very right, I guess it is all how and to what standard people are rised.

If you have seen, meet with, or even marry a "respectable B/G then you have a very diferent take on what is the meaning of "respectable", up to you.

also why do you get defencive if i make a negative comment about a B/G, is it a little to close to home for you???

Of course, you are correct. It's a matter of "community standards," and you would know. But it's tough educating some of these foreigners. Some of them are pretty stubborn. The other word would be ignorant.

So are you saying that a Thai woman who holds hands in public is ignorant?

I think she is saying that any thai woman who holds hands in public is probably a bar Girl. I really have to take serious exception to this. My wife is a successful business woman with a degree, well travelled and speaks Thai, English, Dutch and Mandarin. My wife enjoys buying clothes that I am sure "Wildorchid', would find inappropriate, and I know for a fact her very traditional mother and father find them so, But i would say that they are certainly not worn by the average thai Bar-Girl, I know this because I often buy them and have to settle the credit card bill at the end of the month. My wife also enjoys holding my hand in public, as does my 13 year old daughter, perhaps "wildorchid" and "berkshire' would like to now accuse my 13 year old daughter of Ignorance or some more serious impropriety.

I first arrived in this country in 1981, and while i will allow that throughout the 80's there were few Thai's seen holding hands, I submit that today, it is (in bangkok at least) virtually commonplace, and, to suggest that because Thai tradition states that showing affection in public is frowned upon, then today this practice is also frowned upon and is only carried out by people with..shall we say looser morals is rediculous demeaning and insulting to me, to my wife and to my daughter. Perhaps "wildorchid" would like to turn the clock back a couple of hundred years to the Thai culture practised then, in which case, she would have no problem exposing her breasts in public as was the Thai culture of the time??.

When I came here in 1992 it was still not the done thing to hold hands. Some girlfriends I had then said they were scared they were thought of as bargirls. Perhaps wild orchid wants to hold her husband/wife's hand but is scared she is thought of one herself, hence the big ความไม่พอใจ against other mixed couple doing so.

...Perhaps wild orchid wants to hold her husband/wife's hand but is scared she is thought of one herself, hence the big ความไม่พอใจ against other mixed couple doing so.

As Ray French said "It's no good speculating"

"You're quite right, no point" (Allan Rooney)

SC

TV Cricket - the team with sleepers

Sorry, but I read all your posts again and again, what you are saying is respectable Thai girls will never hold hands in public. Only bargirls would do that because thai custom says respectable girls will not do that. Do you agree ??, So my answer stands, my 13 year old daughter holds my hand in public, and you say this is shameful and against Thai custom. My wife holds my hand in public and you say this is shameful and against Thai custom. Which thai custom are you referring to, the one from 200 years ago that says thai dress should expose the breasts ??, or do you mean the western imposed custom that came after thailands defeat in the 2nd world war and the occupation afterwards. Or perhaps you are referring to the thai custom that came about after the brutal murders that took place at thammarsat university when the "communists" were driven out. Or perhaps the thai custom of promoting your country by entering scantily clad women in the miss world/universe pagent??

• Like 1

I can not answer for my grandperants because they do not know about the internet.

But one time they did see a thai lady wearing bikini and kiss falang on the beach, they said take me back home they can not accept this, as i said it depends on the way we are raised and the standard we hold ourselves in.

why all this? All i did was answer a question at the start of this, Why falang hold hands with B/G's? and respectable thai ladys do not? my answer is as correct to the best of my limitted knowege of thai custum and culture such as it is only a little more than 30 years, but if you claim to know more then please enlighten us all.

I am not doubting your experience, but surely you accept that the experiences offered by posters here would suggest that perhaps times are changing, so the current situation maybe a little different, for instance, you quote an example of your grandparents, what of your friends the same age? would they leave the beach at the sight of a Thai lady in a bikini kissing a farang?

What I am doubting after reading Wildorchids posts are that she is a Thai lady, or indeed any lady. Sorry but you use to many grammatical statements and terms of phrase that a Thai would just never use. Nice try.

• Like 1

Congratulations for your clever husband!

Me too, I prefer a Mia Noi over BGs or prostitutes!

cheesy.gif

Right , I just wanna say a few words.

This troll post has obviously done its work, many are upset, the OP is having a quiet giggle, Thai people have been put through the wringer again, Farangs are all good, Thais are all bad.

Thought you guys would know better by now

• Like 1

What I am doubting after reading Wildorchids posts are that she is a Thai lady, or indeed any lady. Sorry but you use to many grammatical statements and terms of phrase that a Thai would just never use. Nice try.

Possible, but the message is to my mind partially correct, many many years ago I had a girlfriend that would not go to the beach where farang ladies were in bikinis, if her father saw her he would take her home so to save any potential embarrassment we went to a more secluded beach...also my wife never strips off and swims with me and the children, possibly a mix of not wanting to flaunt her body and cultural upbringing

So......so far so good for wildorchids "culture"......but then it is blown out of the water by the fact that my wife happily takes my hand as we stroll through the market......

wildorchid and others appear to promote the opinion holding my hand turns her into an entirely different person.........I contend it does not!......except in the minds of those who would judge without cause

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

This troll post has obviously done its work, many are upset, the OP is having a quiet giggle, Thai people have been put through the wringer again, Farangs are all good, Thais are all bad.

Nothing wrong with kicking a few notions around to fill the time in.....no need to get upset, there will be no shortage of people who accept or alternatively disagree whatever you post.......like your crass statement above for instance

Yes, we know, but it's more entertaining than watching Kuala bears mate on the Animal Channel for the 5th time in repeats.

What about the threats from the Mia Noi to call the wife and spill the beans? You know that's her ace in the hole, right?

Sounds like you need to raise your standards - best practice is to not take on a mia leuang unless she accepts in advance that there will be outside partners.

And being more selective in the mia noi helps as well, my last one was very grateful for her B3,200 flat and that was the full extent of my support, oh and helping her with the tuition to make up her M3 certificate.

The fact that she worked 72 hours a week was only a slight scheduling inconvenience, but she compensated with great enthusiasm.

And took better care of my kids than their mother ever did.

But one time they did see a thai lady wearing bikini and kiss falang on the beach, they said take me back home they can not accept this,

Well I'll assume for the sake of the thread you're not some bloke on a wind up and say if the old dears are that precious they must have nearly had matching brain embolisms the day you took your western husband to meet them. Of course, you could give them a news flash and tell them with the daily shitstorm about life in LOS to be found between the pages of the local newspapers and on TV a pair of "ill raised" young Thais innocently holding hands should be the least of their worries.

But one time they did see a thai lady wearing bikini and kiss falang on the beach, they said take me back home they can not accept this,

Well I'll assume for the sake of the thread you're not some bloke on a wind up and say if the old dears are that precious they must have nearly had matching brain embolisms the day you took your western husband to meet them. Of course, you could give them a news flash and tell them with the daily shitstorm about life in LOS to be found between the pages of the local newspapers and on TV a pair of "ill raised" young Thais innocently holding hands should be the least of their worries.

A good post but I feel you should review your initial assumption wink.png

A good post but I feel you should review your initial assumption wink.png

So she really is a 18 stone ex plumber named Terry? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Sorry, but I read all your posts again and again, what you are saying is respectable Thai girls will never hold hands in public. Only bargirls would do that because thai custom says respectable girls will not do that. Do you agree ??, So my answer stands, my 13 year old daughter holds my hand in public, and you say this is shameful and against Thai custom. My wife holds my hand in public and you say this is shameful and against Thai custom. Which thai custom are you referring to, the one from 200 years ago that says thai dress should expose the breasts ??, or do you mean the western imposed custom that came after thailands defeat in the 2nd world war and the occupation afterwards. Or perhaps you are referring to the thai custom that came about after the brutal murders that took place at thammarsat university when the "communists" were driven out. Or perhaps the thai custom of promoting your country by entering scantily clad women in the miss world/universe pagent??

Please show me ANY quote were I say anything like a 13 year old daughter can not hold her fathers hand in public, you can not because I did not,

I think it's great you and your daughter can do this I'm truly happy for you and I'm sure you and yours are good people also,

I did not intend any disrespect and sorry for any taken as it was not my intent.

you say you have read all my posts, if so then you will have read that I also said it is how we are raised and the standards we hold ourselves, people are diferent all over the world and therefor what they do and belive is thier choice and that is ok. Please forgive any tresspass I was only going by my experiance however limitted, I should have said In my family, social network, village, holding hands, huging, kissing in public is not accepable, and still is,

also the world is changing and so to things that once were are changing, it's the way things are and that fine, people can do as they like as long as no others are hurt by it, but some of us would like to keep some of the customs, culture, traditions we were raised in and that should also be ok.

people can do as they like as long as no others are hurt by it, but some of us would like to keep some of the customs, culture, traditions we were raised in and that should also be ok.

Very good. When I'm 95 and walking hand in hand with my beautiful 18-year-old girlfriend, if you see us and think she's not respectable, please make sure to not let your opinion show, because if you do it hurts our feelings.

i really could not care less what wild orchid is. I take exception to your inference that a Thai would be limited in their choice of "grammatical statements and terms [sic] of phrase"

Are your assumptions based on the fact that you yourself seem barely literate and could not be outdone by a mere thai? Or was it just a finger of speech?

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

Others:

Wildorchid's posts - missing the apostrophe

What I am doubting is, singular not "are"

too many, not "to many"

The whole idea of "grammatical statements" is nonsensical - perhaps "too many complex grammatical structures"

Others?

I think GentlemanJim doesn't realize that thousands of Thais go overseas to study and live, and some of them actually take advantage of the opportunity to study the language, with the result that their command of its details are better than that of many native speakers.

Which he so ably demonstrates himself isn't always all that great.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 1

Maybe it depends on which part of Thailand the lady comes from as we know there are different dialects so why not different customs? My wife comes from Chai Nat and she will not hold my hand in public as she says it is not right. It is however ok for children to hold the hands of parents or women to hold the hands of each other but a woman to man is not right. As I said probably depends on the area they hail from. (my wife is 35 not old and not young)

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting this holding hands caper......catch all kinds of diseases.

Yeah, a filthy body part. Should grab the butt instead, I saw on the Brainiac show it's a clean bit.

Seeing them cultured Thai ladies tap dance away with their bound feet in disgust would also be extremely entertaining, HARRRRRR :ph34r: Wouldn't dare to try it with a pug-wonder from the rice patties though, reproductive organs could well be destroyed with a single crunch.

...Perhaps wild orchid wants to hold her husband/wife's hand but is scared she is thought of one herself, hence the big ความไม่พอใจ against other mixed couple doing so.

As Ray French said "It's no good speculating"

"You're quite right, no point" (Allan Rooney)

SC

TV Cricket - the team with sleepers

Never heard of these people - who are they and what is their relevance to this post?

Wild orchid; I think your husband is a lucky man!

Others:

Wildorchid's posts - missing the apostrophe

What I am doubting is, singular not "are"

too many, not "to many"

The whole idea of "grammatical statements" is nonsensical - perhaps "too many complex grammatical structures"

Others?

I think GentlemanJim doesn't realize that thousands of Thais go overseas to study and live, and some of them actually take advantage of the opportunity to study the language, with the result that their command of its details are better than that of many native speakers.

Which he so ably demonstrates himself isn't always all that great.

I agree with you about the grammar, BUT in this case, I have to say, I think WO is a middle-aged white dude.

(same as An-alien)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It's hardly a B/G and non-B/G thing, plenty of Asian women hold hands with their boyfriend outside of Thailand as well as in Thailand. Seen it and experienced it on many an occasion myself and that's without skulking around B/G hang outs. It just looks odd when the bloke is 60 and the girl 23, perhaps ;)

Ooooookay...here we go again: respectable woman vs. bargirl, superior and oh-so-well-behaving-thai-culture vs. rude farang, not willing to adept!

It's all a bunch of crap!

Me, holding hands with my GF, has got nothing to do with any of that.

Does a Thai-couple, that comes to Europe at once start kissing in the streets, just because it is common there to show affection publicly? No? So why should I stop holding hands (given it is okay for my significant other), just because some 103year old hi-so Thai- grandfather doesn't like it and it wasn't done that way...shortly after the ice-age!

And please: how does a bar-girl look?

I have worked in places, where normal office- girls were dressed like they were coming from their night-shift at the local pole-bar.

>shakes his head in disbelief<

...some people....