Feature Request: Being Able To Block Outgoing Pms To Specific Members

Jingthing

There are cases where I would find it useful to be BLOCKED from the ability to send PMs to certain other members. I know we can block INCOMING mail from specific members, but there is no way to technically block OUTGOING mail for specific members.

Why would anyone want/need this feature?

There are actually a number of other reasons you might want to use this feature if you use your imagination.

I'm not going to pretend it is as important as INCOMING block, but I would still like the feature. Thus, this request.

You could PM them, and kindly ask them to block you.

I said use your imagination. What if they then say, I will not block you. What if they say don't PM me, then you say please block me, and then they say no I won't. You don't think that happens? You'd be naive. Edited by Jingthing

Yes I think its a useful feature but I'm sure it wouldn't be used as much as incoming block. So its up to the forum admin to decide whether its worth any work for them, that is, IF it's technically feasible with the software.

You could PM them, and kindly ask them to block you.

I said use your imagination. What if they then say, I will not block you. What if they say don't PM me, then you say please block me, and then they say no I won't. You don't think that happens? You'd be naive.

That was meant a little tongue-in-cheek. Obviously not tongue-in-cheek enough.

I think it would be a useful feature, but what about if you want to unblock yourself from PMing someone ?

Good point. JT you can have the unblock code sent to me. I am hopelessly misplacing things all the time! tongue.png

Maybe I'm being thick, but I find it incredibly easy not to send a PM to someone I don't want to send a PM to; so can't see why such a feature would be needed.

Easy. So you don't have to remember the names of the people you don't want to PM (or have asked you not to PM them but strangely refuse to block you).

I think it would be a useful feature, but what about if you want to unblock yourself from PMing someone ?

If there is a tool to put the block on outgoing, there would be a tool to unblock as well. Just the same as for blocking incoming.

If there is a tool to put the block on outgoing, there would be a tool to unblock as well. Just the same as for blocking incoming.

Is that enough though? Just a quick click that one.

Is that enough though? Just a quick click that one.

No, you're talking about a block on a conversation. I'm talking about USER blocks. Different.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I find it incredibly easy not to send a PM to someone I don't want to send a PM to; so can't see why such a feature would be needed.

Easy. So you don't have to remember the names of the people you don't want to PM (or have asked you not to PM them but strangely refuse to block you).

It must be me, 'cos I still don't get it.

If I don't want to send someone a PM I don't need a feature to stop me; I simply don't do it.

I can see the need for the existing feature to block PMs from someone you don't wish to communicate with; to stop them from PMing you.

But why would you need a feature to stop you from PMing them?

Is the list of people you have decided not to communicate with so long that you simply cannot remember them all, whilst at the same time your desire to PM all sundry so great that you cannot control it?

(You may have noticed I'm not taking this very seriously. But be honest; it's not a serious question, is it?)

• Like 2

It must be me, 'cos I still don't get it.

Not just you. There is an outgoing block available, it's called self control. biggrin.png

I'm talking about a technical feature. If you don't want to do it, just say so.

Yes I really want this feature and it was a serious request. But now I give up. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

How would a tool to block you PM a particular user (presumably to stop PM's sent in anger/when drunk) be of any help, if you can just unblock the user again? Would you want a 24 hour cooling off period, before the unblock became active?

I must admit I also don't see the need for such a feature.

Sophon

When a user asks please don't PM me and you PM back, can you please just block me so I don't forget that request, and then they say no I will not do that, then if you don't have this tool you have to be bothered to remember who asked you never to PM them. I get the message from the admin here. It is no, you won't do this technical tool. No need to make a bloody morality play about it; it was just an ENHANCEMENT request for your software. Also, don't act like it couldn't potentially be useful, because it actually can, like ANY technical tool. Thank you for your consideration.

You might also consider it wouldn't be so hard to politely consider enhancement requests, rather than mock them as not being serious. Doing so might intimidate others from making enhancement requests that you actually see value to. I accept you don't see value in this request. So be it. Move on.

Edited by Jingthing

How would a tool to block you PM a particular user (presumably to stop PM's sent in anger/when drunk) be of any help, if you can just unblock the user again? Would you want a 24 hour cooling off period, before the unblock became active?

Sophon

Not for you. Doesn't mean not for everyone.

Sophon

Well , how about test that evaluates your mental and emotional state and gives credit points for humour but at the same time deducts them for badness . Or even better , a poll , that lets who ever is interested decide wether you should be allowed to unblock your blocked PM's .

Sophon

Not for you. Doesn't mean not for everyone.

You could always get yourself banned, problem solved.