Thai Wooden Boats? Where To Buy?

ricardofel

I am sure that if you got a translator and went to the sea gypsies in Phuket or Krabi. Probably better away from the tourist areas. They would probably build them for you. I doubt you will find one already built unless it was at the end of it's life span.

One of the things to look in a used boat is worm holes in the keels. A small hole on the outside will yield to huge caverns inside, thus weakening the main support of the boat. This is why it is very important to keep the anti-fouling paint in good shape in tropical waters.

Those are not the types of boats I'm looking for......the Thai small boats are handmade, all wood for 1-2 people.

Look at the "teak barons" in and around Ban Thi; some of them most likely have exactly what you're looking for. But take someone who speaks Thai with you, they don't speak English at all.

We can find one for you, but then it comes to business, so expect a 20% surcharge to the boat price in case you buy one. Send me a PM if you want to make use of our service.

You mean like the ones you see in Floating Market pictures right? Fairly wide, flat bottom type boats?

Not really. Fairly wide, flat bottom: yes. But much shorter, I would say not more or even less than 2 meters long. Dimensions look more like an open shoe box. Normally there is a built-in fish container at the rear end. I saw them only here in the north yet. Googled for pictures but couldn't find any.

Will take a camera on one of my next bicycle tours through Ban Thi area, and try to find one to take a photo.