Manchester United

redrus

A totally absorbing game, with some awful defending and some brilliant attacking play by both teams.

I think it is important that Man City get acknowledged for making it such a great game, and Craig Bellamy once again remphasise th fact that he is a very good player when he is in tune, unfortunate he is too often a first class prat.

For United, the big problem is Ben Foster - the more that I have seen of him recently the less convinced I am, and the big problem with having a goalkeeper out of sorts, also impacts upon the defense in front of him. Barry's goal had two mistakes, first the hesitancy of Ferdinand, and then followed by Fosters idiotic attempt at dragging the ball back and then left floundering on the floor - that ball should have been in row Z. The second goal, a great finish and he can't be blamed. As for the third goal, again Ferdinand and Foster involved, a lazy pass by Ferdinand, and then getting out paced (Maybe he should have bought him down), however Foster was a) badly positioned and :) went to ground far to quickly. It;s certainly a problem and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kursazck back in for the next game.

Anyway thoroughly enjoyed the game, and Ownes finish at the end showed that he still has the finishing ability, and hopefully that will give him more confidence, though Berbatov did okay, but could of done better with a couple of those headers, although Given was as always excellent. City certainly have a good chance og being a big threat this year to the established top 4, although don't think they are good enough to win the league at present.

I have no confidence in Foster, as soon as i saw Bellamy breaking i knew "this is a goal", it may as well have been an empty net.

Agreed. And to be fair, it seemed like Foster wasn't being helped by some indecisiveness from Ferdinand as well. Early on in the peace there was a moment when the ball was travelling back to Foster and both Ferdinand and Foster both seemed caught in two minds, allowing Tevez to pounce in and almost have a shot. They need to get a bit more vocal with each other and exude a bit more confidence.

Foster is undoubtedly a good shot-stopper, but he needs to improve his decision-making at crucial times. Keeping things simple when necessary. Same goes for Ferdinand.

That was a fantastic game of football when united was chasing the 3rd goal i have not seen us play that well for years.

Last year grinding out 1-0 wins was boring give me a heart stopping game like that anyday.

And i would just like to add owen is a manc now well and trully,that was a brilliantly taken goal.

<deleted> was up with Ferdinand and Foster today?

That aside, an amazing game that will live in the memory forever more!

My heart is still racing!

I have to agree with you Rix, it was a truly eventful game and we were very lucky in the end to snatch the points.

There were some atrocious mistakes made, and some of our lads need a couple seesions with my old school coach of the '50's.

Rule No 1 : If in Doubt, Kick it Out

Rule No.2 : Keep It Simple Son.

...and talking about your heart still racing, I think my doctor is going to suggest I watch the seniors petanque in future.... :)

A fantastic match.

I do not think we we were lucky to snatch the points.

Maybe the way/time it happen.

A draw would have been a robbery.

All 3 goals by Man C, were soft. The first by Foster.

The second, I could not believe they let him approach the box like that, and let him shoot unchallenged (and score a beautiful goal), and the defenders watching him from inside the box, nobody making any move towards him.

And the third was as we know also a huge mistake by Ferdinand, ending up with Foster hitting the deck half a yard from his post.

We let them back into the game 3 times.

My God was the last goal deserved.

Right, I'm back in the game........ No bloody laptop again....!

Get in United......... :)

Fletcher rocks, I always said he'd come good and he keeps repaying my faith. I have the same belief in Foster too, you can't cover your mistakes in goal as easily as midfield but, lets not forget, even the best keeper ever had moments of silliness...... As for others, Bartez, as much a great keeper he was, I'd rather have Foster.

redrus

Right, I'm back in the game........

Bout time!

Fletcher rocks, I always said he'd come good and he keeps repaying my faith.

Repaying in spades i'd say. He's having an awesome season. May it continue!

Hargreaves who? :)

I have the same belief in Foster too, you can't cover your mistakes in goal as easily as midfield but, lets not forget, even the best keeper ever had moments of silliness......

Not sure i do have the same belief, but all the same i do think he should be given the chance to weather the storm. If he gets replaced now i think he's confidence would be irrevocably damaged. Providing he can cut out the silly stuff, he's shown enough about him to suggest he can be a No.1 keeper. Let's be patient guys.

It was nice to see the young lads get a good run on the park last night, and even17 year old Joshua King came on to make his debut (one of 2 young 'uns just given squad number shirts)

Strangely we seemed to play better and more cohesively after Fabio was red-carded.

I thought Gibson, Brown, Neville and De Laet all played well ,but Nani still riles me like no other for the talent he seems to have for speed & dribbling yet F**ks up constantly when trying to cross or even pass the ball....... :)

I wonder if we'll get City in the next round... :D

but Nani still riles me like no other for the talent he seems to have for speed & dribbling yet F**ks up constantly when trying to cross or even pass the ball....... :)

Agreed. Lost count of the number of wasted attacks he was responsible for.

Just for the life of him, couldn't find a telling cross into the box. How much more patience will the manager afford him?

Still think he should have been off-loaded in the Summer - hope he proves me wrong.

Hey chaps, I see Ronaldo is scoring for fun at the moment. You gotta be missing him. I hated the diving, step over arrogant git but I will admit (especially as he is no longer a Red) that he is special.

If i looked at the league table this year compared to the last two with him starting, I would say we aint missing him (yet).

Hey chaps, I see Ronaldo is scoring for fun at the moment. You gotta be missing him. I hated the diving, step over arrogant git but I will admit (especially as he is no longer a Red) that he is special.

mate he is one of the best players i have ever seen he has the lot to his game!

wish he was still with us but we are not really missing him right now but later in the season we might only time will tell.

If i looked at the league table this year compared to the last two with him starting, I would say we aint missing him (yet).

Six back-to-back wins at a time when we are notoriously sluggish, against some tricky opposition, ain't too shabby.

but Nani still riles me like no other for the talent he seems to have for speed & dribbling yet F**ks up constantly when trying to cross or even pass the ball....... :)

Agreed. Lost count of the number of wasted attacks he was responsible for.

Just for the life of him, couldn't find a telling cross into the box. How much more patience will the manager afford him?

Still think he should have been off-loaded in the Summer - hope he proves me wrong.

34 year old Gary Neville seemed to be able to put over direct well weighted passes time and again last night - sometimes I reckon one can have all the skill in the world but if you don't have the head to read the game and make the necessary adjustments then you'll never make it as a really "top" player. And yes Ronaldo has it, but it still took a bit of coaching from Fergie and the staff to make him the complete player that he's become. He too trotted out endless tricks in the early days with United but his finishing touch let him down - now look at him.

Do we miss him, of course we do, but the game goes on, and thankfully we have a good pool of squad players all with varying degrees of talent, and nobody knows how to manage a group of footballers better than S.A.F.

In Fergie we trust.... :D

PS I'm not looking forward to the "who's going to replace Ferguson thread" when the day finally comes ........ :D

Edited by LeungKen

PS I'm not looking forward to the "who's going to replace Ferguson thread" when the day finally comes ........ :D

Not looking forward to that day either...

When it does come though, it will be a no-brainer.

Do tell Rix? Is it really gonna be Cantona?

LOL

Wouldn't that be fun!

But nah.

There's only one manager out there who has really given SAF a run for his money in both the mind-games and the football nous. He's special. I need say no more... :)

PS I'm not looking forward to the "who's going to replace Ferguson thread" when the day finally comes ........ :D .

I am, I'm hoping you buggers implode when he goes :D

I reckon Martin O'Neil would do a better job than Mourinho but I hope you opt for McClaren. :) Either way, the new guy will be on a lose, lose. If he succeeds, it's because of the team Fergie left him and if he fails it's because he's not as good as Fergie. It'll be a tough job.

What is there to say about Nani that hasn't already been said?

OK, i've thought of something. Giggs is an absolute legend, but at the age he is, there's no way he should be so comprehensively outperforming a suposedly up and coming star.

Foster will be pleased to have kept a clean sheet, but there's something decidedly shakey about him, especially in the way he deals with back passes don't you think?

Berba did a good impression of the invisble man most of the game. When is he going to really start turning it on?

All that said, a great 3 points today and especially with Chelsea's result.

I have to agree with you Rix, and as "Fergie" has been quoted as saying "What more can you say about Ryan Giggs, it's all been said countless times before"

..and what a performance from Paul Scoles, he took control of the midfield and played neat and tidy passes, both long and short, all over the park.

I shall miss these 2 true professional footballers when they finally hang up their boots, more than I miss Cristiano Ronaldo. (They are both up there in the Charlton, Law, Best, Edwards category for me.)

Edited by LeungKen