Manchester United

redrus

FA charges Ferguson over referee Howard Webb comments

_52700152_ferguson3_464x261getty.jpg Ferguson is on the cusp of winning Man Utd a record 19th league title Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association for comments about referee Howard Webb.

The comments in question were made in the build-up to the 2-1 Premier League win over Chelsea on 8 May.

Even though Ferguson spoke positively about Webb, he broke FA rules which state that no manager should speak about a referee prior to a match.

The Old Trafford club's manager has until 1600 BST on 16 May to respond.

Ferguson's side beat Chelsea 2-1 last Sunday to move within a point of securing a record 19th title with two games to spare.

But two days before the game - which would have seen Chelsea top the table had they won - Ferguson spoke about Webb at a news conference.

"We are getting the best referee, there is no doubt about that," he said at the time.

"But [getting a bad decision] is definitely our big fear.

"We have the players to do it all right. We just hope it's our turn for a little bit of luck."

_52700152_ferguson3_464x261getty.jpg Ferguson is on the cusp of winning Man Utd a record 19th league title Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association for comments about referee Howard Webb.

The comments in question were made in the build-up to the 2-1 Premier League win over Chelsea on 8 May.

Even though Ferguson spoke positively about Webb, he broke FA rules which state that no manager should speak about a referee prior to a match.

Ferguson's side beat Chelsea 2-1 last Sunday to move within a point of securing a record 19th title with two games to spare.

But two days before the game - which would have seen Chelsea top the table had they won - Ferguson spoke about Webb at a news conference.

"We are getting the best referee, there is no doubt about that," he said at the time.

"We have the players to do it all right. We just hope it's our turn for a little bit of luck."

Disgraceful...after all the loyalty Howard has shown Utd over the years

Disgraceful...after all the loyalty Howard has shown Utd over the years

Still trying to find what he said that was improper conduct,the fa really have got it in for him.wanke_rs!

He praises the best referee in the country and gets charged :lol:

abrak :whistling:

Manchester United's commercial revenues up 30%

_52697087_011929608-1.jpg The club is poised to clinch the Premier League championship Manchester United has seen a strong increase in commercial revenues, according to new financial figures.

Commercial revenue rose to £75.3m in the first nine months of the year, up 30% on a the same period a year ago.

But matchday and media income fell £5m, which the club blamed on fewer home games in the period and pegged entry prices for the Crawley Town FA Cup tie.

The Old Trafford club also said it had bought back £5.5m in bonds, taking the overall amount purchased to £29.5m.

Turnover in the quarter was up slightly to £75.2m from £74.6m a year earlier, while turnover in the nine months to March was £231.7m, up from £219.3m.

Manchester United only need one point from two remaining fixtures for the club to secure its 19th league title, and will also appear in the Champions League final at Wembley on 28 May.

The club said its balance sheet was strong, with £113m in cash and £765.1m of other assets.

Financial figures released this spring showed Manchester United's parent company made a loss of £108.9m in 2009-10.

I hardly need to look at ManU's figures to know you are well ahead. You are basically generating virtually twice the revenues of Spurs or Liverpool. If the Glazier's ever decide to sell you and the new owner, say the Qatar investment authority, decides to pay off all your debts a bit like FSG and Liverpool, you would have at least an extra 50m to pile into the business every year.

On the commercial side you might have grown by 30% to 75m in the first nine months but you are still well below Bayern Munich who generate 142m of annual commercial revenues with a club that cannot possibly have the global reach of Man U. So that is an area where revenues could easily double over the next 5 years.

Expected a difficult game... and it certainly was.

Was definitely a penalty, but those ones aren't always given, when players are going nowhere. Thank goodness it was. We needed it.

19 titles. Will there ever be an era in the history of United that comes close to what we have enjoyed over the last 20 odd years. I seriously doubt it.

It has to end some day, and knowing that, i savour every second of every season, whilst it lasts.

Two more games. Bring it on.

Never expected it to be easy, Blackburn played well and deserved a point. Two goalkeeping errors led to the goals. Was a bit nerve racking, but finally to overtake Liverpool is a magnificent feat.

Will be an interesting scrap at the bottom now, think Birmingham, Wigan and West Ham to go.

Will be an interesting scrap at the bottom now, think Birmingham, Wigan and West Ham to go.

Yep. West Ham already gone i think. Sorry Singh.

Would love to see Blackpool stay up. Unfortunately that means cheering them to beat us. Not going to happen. Will be a silver-lining if they do though.

A lot to like about Holloway - way he talks, and the way he sends his teams out. Honest guy and honest team. Actually pretty much the same goes for all the teams down there. In their own ways, they have all been some sort of credit to the league. Maybe the exception is West Ham. Sorry again Singh! Whilst other teams have played beyond themselves, West Ham, too many times, have played beneath.

Not the sort of performance we were hoping for to clinch the title.

One of the great mysteries of this season is why United were so poor away from home ,5 wins all season, worst ever record in the Premier League. At OT, untouchable, and the first 45 mins against Chelsea probably some of the best football we have seen for years. While this season has been unfolding SAF has quietly built the structure for a new team 2 ,20 year old fullbacks, the Da Silva boys, who seem to be comfortable any side of the pitch. Valencia ,Hernandes ,Nani, Smalling all well established and under 25.SAF has mentioned 3 new players coming in.One a goalkeeper of course ,hopefully Schneider or someone of his quality who can score goals and 1 other.

Can expect back Wellbeck and Cleverley,think Macheda will be sold. Owen, Brown , Gibson ,Hargreaves, Obertan to be moved on or loaned.Scholes still to decide his future.

Just hope a quality keeper is signed. Not seeing VDS on the team sheet last night set off the alarm bells.

Finally is SAF simply the best manager around. Taken a team that everybody felt needed new players and achieved the result. Would not surprise me one bit to see them roll Barcelona.Hernandes speed against the very capable, but slower Pique, the turning point ??

That was never a penalty in a million years...unless you are Man Utd or Chelsea at the Bridge. I'm hugely amused that Rix thinks it was!! It was'nt in realtime, was'nt on a slomo and was'nt at twice the speed either. I also very much doubt whether you would have equalised bar for the ref and a very weak linesman. I turned over ten minutes from the end because it all became an embarrassing sham of a finish.

That said, championships are not won on the basis of one tarnished win and i feel you deserved the title. Congratulations.

That was never a penalty in a million years...unless you are Man Utd or Chelsea at the Bridge. I'm hugely amused that Rix thinks it was!! It was'nt in realtime, was'nt on a slomo and was'nt at twice the speed either. I also very much doubt whether you would have equalised bar for the ref and a very weak linesman. I turned over ten minutes from the end because it all became an embarrassing sham of a finish.

Horrible penalty to give away, but yes, a clear pen. Keeper didn't play the ball and came across the player. Player could have skipped over him, but when the keeper comes out and dives into your path, why would you expect a player to do that? Stupid mistake from the keeper in the end. Shouldn't have come out. No need to.

think Macheda will be sold.

To be honest, i'd be more gutted to see him go than Berba, and i know that might seem crazy what with Berba being leading goal scorer, i just see more long-term potential there and hate losing up and coming talent. Much like when Rossi left.

We'd get more for Berba too.

Obertan is another one who i think has great potential and who we should keep. Yes he's not the finished product yet, but give him a chance... he needs games. Nani was given at least two seasons after all.

Horrible penalty to give away, but yes, a clear pen. Keeper didn't play the ball and came across the player. Player could have skipped over him, but when the keeper comes out and dives into your path, why would you expect a player to do that? Stupid mistake from the keeper in the end. Shouldn't have come out. No need to.

Never, ever a penalty and i've just watched it again. Granted, Howard Webb would have awarded it to Man Utd, but no mate, in the real world, lets say if you were one of maybe 18 other premier league clubs the ref would have laughed it away.

Sweet pea was'nt going to get it anyway, not going for goal and i've had stronger contact from a mosquito than i saw on him.

Its just a shame when matches are tarnished in this matter and it sells the viewing public short. But hey, if you lot are happy with that win then good on yer!

Sweet pea was'nt going to get it anyway, not going for goal and i've had stronger contact from a mosquito than i saw on him.

How close he was to the ball, how much chance there was of him scoring, and how much contact there was... none of that determines whether it was a penalty or not. What does is: did the keeper play the ball and if not, did he obstruct the player?

That said, championships are not won on the basis of one tarnished win and i feel you deserved the title. Congratulations.

Er it was a penalty, and it was poor goalkeeping. Maybe JS might agree with me on that one also being a goalkeeper.

Er it was a penalty, and it was poor goalkeeping. Maybe JS might agree with me on that one also being a goalkeeper.

No it was'nt a penalty. It was onlt given because it was Man Utd.

Edited by carmine

The keeper should never have dived....he was going nowhere and yeah he fell over. Its a 50/50 whether the ref awards a penalty.

Or in this particular case 75/25. :(

The keeper should never have dived....he was going nowhere and yeah he fell over. Its a 50/50 whether the ref awards a penalty.

Or in this particular case 75/25. :(

More like 90/10......do you really think Wigan would have been given that against Man Utd? :lol:

Tarnished, but they are used to this sort of stuff and i doubt they care. Then ofcourse most were'nt born anywhere near Manchester so they don't have true passion either and will celebrate that evening then its all forgotten until next august. :DMost will never understand the feeling when you support the team from where you are born and they go and win something. ;)

You only had to look at Robinsons reaction after he made the challenge to know that HE knew it was a penalty !

A daft challenge to make as Hernandez had already lost control of the ball......could cost Rovers dear with Wolves away in the last match and both teams needing to win.

You only had to look at Robinsons reaction after he made the challenge to know that HE knew it was a penalty !

A daft challenge to make as Hernandez had already lost control of the ball......could cost Rovers dear with Wolves away in the last match and both teams needing to win.

I'd say he face was one of concern because he knew they were playing the only team in the league that would have been awarded that penalty. :)

It was a penalty,read the scoreline, blame the stupidity of Robinson,the look on his face said it all he had absolutely no need to give the ref the option Sure some refs would not have given it but why give then a choice ? A Gomes moment. Rather boring this constant nonsense that United get the decisions.Listen to the neutral pundits, who have actually played the game, and ex refs who said the correct decision was made.

think Macheda will be sold.

To be honest, i'd be more gutted to see him go than Berba, and i know that might seem crazy what with Berba being leading goal scorer, i just see more long-term potential there and hate losing up and coming talent. Much like when Rossi left.

We'd get more for Berba too.

Obertan is another one who i think has great potential and who we should keep. Yes he's not the finished product yet, but give him a chance... he needs games. Nani was given at least two seasons after all.

I too would be sorry to se Obertan,Macheda and Gibson go but they are young and just not getting enough games. It saddens me to see youngsters constantly on the bench,you dont improve there. How could you pick Obertan in front of Nani ,Valencia , Park because they are the players he is fighting for a place with,same goes for Gibson and Macheda especially.I have watched a few games Macheda has played in Italy,he realy has done little and in a weak league. Rossi the other night against RM was totaly ineffective. The alternative of course is to keep them and send them out on loan and hope they improve.Cleverley has come on leaps and bounds with Wigan

It was a penalty,read the scoreline, blame the stupidity of Robinson,the look on his face said it all he had absolutely no need to give the ref the option Sure some refs would not have given it but why give then a choice ? A Gomes moment. Rather boring this constant nonsense that United get the decisions.Listen to the neutral pundits, who have actually played the game, and ex refs who said the correct decision was made.

I think you will be wasting your time trying to explain it to those that continue to moan about "certain teams". I've played enough football over the years as a goalkeeper, to know that Robinson made a poor decision and it cost him. The look on his face was a give away "oh fuc_k", I would have felt the same, sometimes though you get away with it. In the end teams such as United, Chelsea etc are likely to get more penalties / decisions for the simple reason that they spend more time attacking the opposition.

I found it interesting that certain posters then choose to attack people who support teams from outside their own towns :rolleyes: - some of us come from area where there are no professional teams, and I've been bought up supporting Manchester United, been to many games over the years and would hardly call myself a fair weather football supporter. As I got a little older I have also supported Torquay as that is one of the nearest teams to me - I've been lucky to enjoy the highs and lows of both teams over the years, and will continue to enjoy watching football for many years to come - albeit now from a further distance living in Thailand.

At the end of the day, the league doesn't lie and the teams that win it, don't win it based on a few penalties.