Manchester United

redrus

So old red nose has spoken to Ashley about diving, the conversation probaly went something like this, "i told you to fall over a lot but did you have to make it so F*cking obvious".

Do people really think that Ferguson gives a toss on how Young get's penaties if it means the difference between winning and losing !

No no Alfie it all evens itself out over the season so the rest of us are in for some spotkicktastic weekends coming up. biggrin.png

has Young taken over the specific role that the injured nani vacated....cheat for penalties and try to get players sent off? wink.png

He's just borrowed his Equity card for the year. Nani will be back next season no doubt.

So old red nose has spoken to Ashley about diving, the conversation probaly went something like this, "i told you to fall over a lot but did you have to make it so F*cking obvious".

Do people really think that Ferguson gives a toss on how Young get's penaties if it means the difference between winning and losing !

You obviously do Alfie to make up sentenses from Fergie ;-)

has Young taken over the specific role that the injured nani vacated....cheat for penalties and try to get players sent off? wink.png

Two dives this season that i can recall. Have there been others? Perhaps, but nothing particularly blatant.

Show me a player who hasn't dived twice in one season.

I hate diving as much as anyone, but don't pretend Young or United are somehow especially different from other players and other teams. The only reason you do is our position in the league. That's what your problem is, and that has nothing to do with cheating.

• Like 1

No i don't imagine he does. Do you think other managers at other clubs are of a different, more moral thinking?

BOOKINGS THE THIRD ONE IS BOOKINGS FOR DIVES ;-)

View: Overall Home Away

R Team Fouls Unprofessional Dive Other

1 Chelsea 50 5 2 13

2 Blackburn 50 4 0 16

3 Aston Villa 49 3 1 12

4 Wolverhampton 47 4 1 14

5 Wigan 47 3 0 15

6 Stoke 46 2 0 8

7 Sunderland 45 4 1 8

8 Everton 45 2 0 8

9 Arsenal 43 6 1 13

10 Newcastle 41 8 0 11

11 Queens Park Rangers 41 7 0 10

12 Liverpool 39 4 4 8

13 Manchester City 38 2 3 9

14 Norwich 38 2 1 12

15 Tottenham 37 0 2 5

16 Fulham 37 4 0 9

17 Manchester United 36 1 0 8

18 Bolton 35 1 1 11

19 West Bromwich 34 3 2 7

20 Swansea 28 3 0 8

It is not over and you should be ashamed calling yourself a city fan saying it is,

What I was saying is that the nervousness has now gone. I had that feeling weeks ago but we blew it when we had the upper hand. I think I was more nervous every week we were in the lead It's a bit like the feeling of being underdogs, your still hopeful but the same expectations and nerves arent there.

i bet you are one of those fans that wen your team is losing you get up and walk out with 10 mins to go.

Take that back. I have NEVER left a City game before the final whistle and I myself, always condemn those who do. I remember almost coming to blows with someone leaving Wembley early when we were 2-0 down to Gillingham with about 5 mins to go. We could hardly see the match cos they were in front of us but leaving at a really slow pace.

• Like 1

It is not over and you should be ashamed calling yourself a city fan saying it is,

What I was saying is that the nervousness has now gone. I had that feeling weeks ago but we blew it when we had the upper hand. I think I was more nervous every week we were in the lead It's a bit like the feeling of being underdogs, your still hopeful but the same expectations and nerves arent there.

i bet you are one of those fans that wen your team is losing you get up and walk out with 10 mins to go.

Take that back. I have NEVER left a City game before the final whistle and I myself, always condemn those who do. I remember almost coming to blows with someone leaving Wembley early when we were 2-0 down to Gillingham with about 5 mins to go. We could hardly see the match cos they were in front of us but leaving at a really slow pace.

Ha playing Gillingham that was city's level before you won the lottery.biggrin.png

diving-monkey_1356722i.jpg

You see thats a classic example of the sort of mindless piss taking that is so wrong in football today. No wonder his handler, Mr Redknapp is so protective.

Gareth has always been a harmless species but is also highly sensitive.

1 Chelsea 50 5 2 13

2 Blackburn 50 4 0 16

3 Aston Villa 49 3 1 12

5 Wigan 47 3 0 15

6 Stoke 46 2 0 8

7 Sunderland 45 4 1 8

8 Everton 45 2 0 8

9 Arsenal 43 6 1 13

10 Newcastle 41 8 0 11

12 Liverpool 39 4 4 8

14 Norwich 38 2 1 12

15 Tottenham 37 0 2 5

16 Fulham 37 4 0 9

18 Bolton 35 1 1 11

20 Swansea 28 3 0 8

Statistics don't matter mate, they one want to see the ones in uniteds favour, the ones that give the ABU's something to talk about, like the other week blackburn had a nailed on penalty turned down against bolton, it hardly got a mention on the telly, but if that was against united i am sure they would have dedicated the whole program to discuss it, it comes with being a big team every one wants to talk about us.

You see thats a classic example of the sort of mindless piss taking that is so wrong in football today. No wonder his handler, Mr Redknapp is so protective.

Great spring on him though! whistling.gif and i hear that he will be star attraction in the big Zoo known as the Bernabou in Madrid next season

Edited by MrRed

It's a pity you haven't included the rest of SAF's comments on going down easily.Namely that Ryan Giggs, a player who always tries to stay on his feet, has only ever been awarded five penalties in over TWENTY YEARS. Now, with his skills, I should think due to that length of time alone he has probably been in the penalty box, and been fouled, more than any other player in the history of the premiership, but because he doesn't go to ground the penalty appeals get ignored.

Helps to back up what I was suggesting i a previous post, that these days a referee will only give a penalty if the player ends up on the deck,........... hence ALL teams have their divers.

1 Chelsea 50 5 2 13

2 Blackburn 50 4 0 16

3 Aston Villa 49 3 1 12

5 Wigan 47 3 0 15

6 Stoke 46 2 0 8

7 Sunderland 45 4 1 8

8 Everton 45 2 0 8

9 Arsenal 43 6 1 13

10 Newcastle 41 8 0 11

12 Liverpool 39 4 4 8

14 Norwich 38 2 1 12

15 Tottenham 37 0 2 5

16 Fulham 37 4 0 9

18 Bolton 35 1 1 11

20 Swansea 28 3 0 8

Statistics don't matter mate, they one want to see the ones in uniteds favour, the ones that give the ABU's something to talk about, like the other week blackburn had a nailed on penalty turned down against bolton, it hardly got a mention on the telly, but if that was against united i am sure they would have dedicated the whole program to discuss it, it comes with being a big team every one wants to talk about us.

Also, what the stats don't do is correct wrong decisions. I.E. Tevez was booked for diving a couple of weeks ago when replays showed that his foot was clearly stamped on and the ref got the decision wrong.

Ha playing Gillingham that was city's level before you won the lottery.biggrin.png

No it wasn't. We were back in the prem by then. But yes, those were grim and dark days indeed. Hopefully never to be experienced again in my lifetime.

No i don't imagine he does. Do you think other managers at other clubs are of a different, more moral thinking?

No......but other managers are not claiming to tell players to stay on their feet !

Great spring on him though! whistling.gif and i hear that he will be star attraction in the big Zoo known as the Bernabou in Madrid next season

No, It's Barcelona the season after next.

It's a pity you haven't included the rest of SAF's comments on going down easily.Namely that Ryan Giggs, a player who always tries to stay on his feet, has only ever been awarded five penalties in over TWENTY YEARS. Now, with his skills, I should think due to that length of time alone he has probably been in the penalty box, and been fouled, more than any other player in the history of the premiership, but because he doesn't go to ground the penalty appeals get ignored.

You don't get it do ya, saf comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, he's hardly going to say in public that he tells his players to dive !

Helps to back up what I was suggesting i a previous post, that these days a referee will only give a penalty if the player ends up on the deck,........... hence ALL teams have their divers.

True

Edited by alfieconn

I thought it was well known the FA refereeing rules were taken from the moderation team here at Thai Visa. Or the other way about...anyway what came first thing isn't it?

It doesn't matter...you still won't get a penalty at OT!!

And Spurs will be lucky to qualify for the Champions League.

Chelsea would be luckier looking at the run in. Yeah we've been poor lately especially in front of goal but plenty of time yet. Modric needs to pull himself together though.

I thought it was well known the FA refereeing rules were taken from the moderation team here at Thai Visa. Or the other way about...anyway what came first thing isn't it?

It doesn't matter...you still won't get a penalty at OT!!

Team have to make a effort to get in our penalty area, instead of coming to park the bus, 2 penalty's have been awarded for that effort this season at old trafford and none at eastlands, where city have got a few very dodgy ones too including one v newcastle that wasn't and newcastle denied one that was.

Edited by nev

It’s been an oft-stated notion that Captain Fergie and his bands of devious buccaneers have been plundering ill-gotten points and silver since the dawn of the Premier League, mainly with the help of a multitude of Dread Pirate Referees. This widely-held belief gained further momentum this week when Michael “One-Eye” Oliver failed to award a penalty against Man Utd in the final minutes of the game against Fulham at Old Trafford. The collective rolling of eyes and resigned sighs from all football fans could be felt across the country as yet another controversial decision went United’s way. Had Oliver lost his bottle at the crucial moment? Did Captain Fergie tempt him with a flagon of the finest Demerara Rum in his quarters below deck afterwards?

Whatever the case may be, such incidents only reinforce the conception that United keep an assortment of particular referees in their back pockets thus ensuring they maintain their prolonged period of dominance at the summit of the English game. There may be truth in the ramblings of football’s conspiracy theorists. As the old saying goes, just because you think they’re out to get you, doesn’t mean they aren’t. At any rate, it keeps the forums and blogs highly-charged with impartial banter and vitriol which is what makes football the game that is is. Without the constant howls of bias, paranoia and rage, football would diminish in it’s position as the game of the people.

gOksc.png

Yet it is worth considering that United have conceded more penalties at Old Trafford (9) since 2006 than Chelsea (6), Liverpool (7), Spurs (8) and Fulham (8) have at their own grounds. Of the “big” teams, only Man City (10) and Arsenal (11) have had more awards against them at home. Admittedly all stats have their place and need viewing in context. Can the number of penalty awards be apportioned to the ineptitude of a particular defence of the corresponding period of time? Blackburn (18) and Wigan (16) may well be prime examples of this, although it could also be said that, if a team sets out to “park the bus” and has little attacking intent, then they may have brought these awards onto themselves. It could well be argued that, as United attack the opposition more often than they are pinned down in their own penalty area, the ratio of penalties for and against, especially home, is naturally well in their favour. Hence the reason why they have been awarded 26 penalties at Old Trafford over the same period. In contrast, Arsenal were the beneficiary of 30 spot-kicks at home since 2006 but rarely are there cries of refereeing manipulation towards Wenger’s kindergarten XI.

Where’s the fun in that though? The counter-argument to all this would be what about the ones that weren’t given? Every supporter of every team who has played at Old Trafford will have a tale of refereeing robbery to pass onto their grandchildren in future years. Likewise when a Manc has travelled to an away game, he too will have felt a serious sense of injustice at some point. Swings and roundabouts; ups and downs. Those are the pains a fan must suffer in order to follow his or her team. Although I have a few questions which may or may not stir the pot a little more than is necessary.

Are we all, referees and supporters alike, victims of the cult of success and celebrity? All men may be equal, but in this modern era of wall-to-wall television coverage of anything and everything, do we perceive some to be more equal than others? Whilst we as normal human beings worship or mock those in media-elevated positions (deservedly or not), do we also harbour sneaking admiration or envy for them also. Are we inclined to be more lenient or harsh towards their actions based on our feelings towards them? Quite understandably referees should be unbiased and impartial, the nature of their job demands it. However, do they fall victim to the same failings we do from time to time when making difficult, almost controversial decisions affecting our peers or supposed “betters”? Or, being human like the rest of us, they are prone to making mistakes occasionally when under pressure?

• Like 2

It’s been an oft-stated notion that Captain Fergie and his bands of devious buccaneers have been plundering ill-gotten points and silver since the dawn of the Premier League, mainly with the help of a multitude of Dread Pirate Referees. This widely-held belief gained further momentum this week when Michael “One-Eye” Oliver failed to award a penalty against Man Utd in the final minutes of the game against Fulham at Old Trafford. The collective rolling of eyes and resigned sighs from all football fans could be felt across the country as yet another controversial decision went United’s way. Had Oliver lost his bottle at the crucial moment? Did Captain Fergie tempt him with a flagon of the finest Demerara Rum in his quarters below deck afterwards?

Whatever the case may be, such incidents only reinforce the conception that United keep an assortment of particular referees in their back pockets thus ensuring they maintain their prolonged period of dominance at the summit of the English game. There may be truth in the ramblings of football’s conspiracy theorists. As the old saying goes, just because you think they’re out to get you, doesn’t mean they aren’t. At any rate, it keeps the forums and blogs highly-charged with impartial banter and vitriol which is what makes football the game that is is. Without the constant howls of bias, paranoia and rage, football would diminish in it’s position as the game of the people.

gOksc.png

Yet it is worth considering that United have conceded more penalties at Old Trafford (9) since 2006 than Chelsea (6), Liverpool (7), Spurs (8) and Fulham (8) have at their own grounds. Of the “big” teams, only Man City (10) and Arsenal (11) have had more awards against them at home. Admittedly all stats have their place and need viewing in context. Can the number of penalty awards be apportioned to the ineptitude of a particular defence of the corresponding period of time? Blackburn (18) and Wigan (16) may well be prime examples of this, although it could also be said that, if a team sets out to “park the bus” and has little attacking intent, then they may have brought these awards onto themselves. It could well be argued that, as United attack the opposition more often than they are pinned down in their own penalty area, the ratio of penalties for and against, especially home, is naturally well in their favour. Hence the reason why they have been awarded 26 penalties at Old Trafford over the same period. In contrast, Arsenal were the beneficiary of 30 spot-kicks at home since 2006 but rarely are there cries of refereeing manipulation towards Wenger’s kindergarten XI.

Where’s the fun in that though? The counter-argument to all this would be what about the ones that weren’t given? Every supporter of every team who has played at Old Trafford will have a tale of refereeing robbery to pass onto their grandchildren in future years. Likewise when a Manc has travelled to an away game, he too will have felt a serious sense of injustice at some point. Swings and roundabouts; ups and downs. Those are the pains a fan must suffer in order to follow his or her team. Although I have a few questions which may or may not stir the pot a little more than is necessary.

Are we all, referees and supporters alike, victims of the cult of success and celebrity? All men may be equal, but in this modern era of wall-to-wall television coverage of anything and everything, do we perceive some to be more equal than others? Whilst we as normal human beings worship or mock those in media-elevated positions (deservedly or not), do we also harbour sneaking admiration or envy for them also. Are we inclined to be more lenient or harsh towards their actions based on our feelings towards them? Quite understandably referees should be unbiased and impartial, the nature of their job demands it. However, do they fall victim to the same failings we do from time to time when making difficult, almost controversial decisions affecting our peers or supposed “betters”? Or, being human like the rest of us, they are prone to making mistakes occasionally when under pressure?

37.gif37.gif37.gif

You don't get it do ya, saf comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, he's hardly going to say in public that he tells his players to dive !

No, you don't get it do ya, saf ALL managers comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, he's hardly none of them are going to say in public that he they tell his their players to dive !