Manchester United

redrus

So old red nose has spoken to Ashley about diving, the conversation probaly went something like this, "i told you to fall over a lot but did you have to make it so F*cking obvious".

Do people really think that Ferguson gives a toss on how Young get's penaties if it means the difference between winning and losing !

[b]It's a pity you haven't included the rest of SAF's comments on going down easily[/b].Namely that Ryan Giggs, a player who always tries to stay on his feet, has only ever been awarded five penalties in over TWENTY YEARS. Now, with his skills, I should think due to that length of time alone he has probably been in the penalty box, and been fouled, more than any other player in the history of the premiership, but because he doesn't go to ground the penalty appeals get ignored.

You don't get it do ya, saf comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, he's hardly going to say in public that he tells his players to dive !

No, you don't get it do ya,[b][s] saf [/s]ALL managers [/b]comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, [b][s]he's hardly[/s] none of them are[/b] going to say in public that [b][s]he[/s][/b] they tell [b][s]his[/s][/b] their players to dive !

Correct, but for you too mention

"It's a pity you haven't included the rest of SAF's comments on going down easily" you obviously believe him 113.gif

Looking forward to tomorrow, Everton not doing as well as they could be and, at home, Rooney up for it, Evans coming good, Young on fire ;) Should be a rout....

redrus

Sense from The Indi in March, still stands.....

It’s harder to win a penalty at Craven Cottage than Old Trafford

simonrice.thumbnail.jpg

There is no doubt that Fulham should have been awarded a penalty against Manchester United last night, but when Michael Carrick tipped Danny Murphy inside the box, the referee was having none of it.

After the match, Alex Ferguson conceded his side, who won the match 1-0, had been lucky.

“Yes, I think Michael has caught his [Murphy's] heel,” Ferguson said. “It wasn’t a stone-waller, but it could have been a penalty. Certainly it was a claim, there’s no question about that.

The decision by referee Michael Oliver to wave away the penalty claims was made in the 88th minute. Had it been given, the match would likely have ended 1-1, and had a huge impact on the title race.

His opposite number, Martin Jol was in no doubt the Cottagers deserved a spot-kick.

“No-one in the stadium could say Danny Murphy dived and everyone in the stadium expected a penalty,” he said.

“It needed a brave decision because it was either a dive and he should book someone or he has to give Carrick a red card.”

The Fulham manager, who was once offered the chance to become Ferguson’s assistant at Old Trafford, hinted at a wider pattern at play.

“The discussion of whether it would have been given at the other end has been going on for years and it will go on for years to come,” he said.

There is an assumption that when visiting Old Trafford, penalties are hard to come by. Referees are not simply making a decision; in front of a crowd of 75,000 people, among them Sir Alex Ferguson and against the best team in the land, they must make a ‘brave decision’.

But the statistics tell a different story.

Since August 2006 to now, Manchester United have conceded 9 penalties at home. That spans 110 games, meaning they have conceded 0.08 penalties per home game.

Ironically, Fulham have conceded 8 over the same time period and number of games, a record of 0.07 penalties per game. So despite claims that it is tougher to win a penalty at Old Trafford than other grounds, analysis shows it is actually harder to win a penalty at Craven Cottage.

Blackburn’s Ewood Park is the most likely current Premier League ground on which visiting teams will see the referee point to the spot. They’ve conceded 18 over 110 games – 0.16 per game.

The most ‘difficult’ place to be awarded a penalty is at Stamford Bridge. Of the existing Premier League teams, Chelsea have conceded the fewest since August 2006, just 6 at a rate of 0.05 per game. Aston Villa have also conceded six, but over the time period have played one less home game.

Manchester United got lucky last night, but the suggestion there is more to it than that is just wrong.

Penalties conceded at home by existing Premier League teams since August 2006 (teams must have played over 50 games during that time)

Team / Penalties conceded / Games / Penalties per game

Blackburn Rovers 18 110 0.16

Wolverhampton Wanderers 8 53 0.15

Wigan Athletic 16 110 0.15

West Bromwich Albion 7 53 0.13

Sunderland 11 91 0.12

Arsenal 11 110 0.1

Newcastle United 9 91 0.1

Manchester City 10 110 0.09

Stoke City 6 72 0.08

Manchester United 9 110 0.08

Everton 8 110 0.07

Bolton Wanderers 8 110 0.07

Tottenham Hotspur 8 110 0.07

Fulham 8 110 0.07

Liverpool 7 110 0.06

Aston Villa 6 109 0.06

Chelsea 6 110 0.05

Follow Simon Rice on Twitter @simonrice

redrus

Edited by redrus

Looking forward to tomorrow, Everton not doing as well as they could be and, at home, Rooney up for it, Evans coming good, Young on fire wink.png Should be a rout....

redrus

Expect a penalty for everton i hear its the ref who gave the none existent penalty to Newcastle earlier in the season he must not be on our payrole yet.

Looking forward to tomorrow, Everton not doing as well as they could be and, at home, Rooney up for it, Evans coming good, Young on fire wink.png Should be a rout....

redrus

Expect a penalty for everton i hear its the ref who gave the none existent penalty to Newcastle earlier in the season he must not be on our payrole yet.

No way, that would be ironic.. Still think about 3-0...;)

City will struggle at Wolves to win nev so it is all set up for us at the wastelands

You really think they'll struggle, Wolves are appalling at the mo..??

redrus

City will struggle at Wolves to win nev so it is all set up for us at the wastelands

They will win by a dodgy penalty, after mancini trying to manipulate match officials in the press this week.

redrus

No way, that would be ironic.. Still think about 3-0...wink.png

You really think they'll struggle, Wolves are appalling at the mo..??

redrus

Sorry rus!! i forgot City have...... Tiger Tevez back rolleyes.gif they might scrape it then.

"It's a pity you haven't included the rest of SAF's comments on going down easily" you obviously believe him 113.gif

Alfie I think you're missing my point. All managers play mind games and waffle on at press conferences. You picked up on the waffle about SAF 'having a word with Young' (and I for one will take that with a pinch of salt) but missed what I thought was a more genuine and accurate point about referees not giving penalties unless a player goes to ground. He went on to cite Gigg's record of a player seemingly being penalised for being genuine and trying to stay on his feet.

All ABU's want to slate SAF at every opportunity but I thought it was a point well made and wanted to highlight it ...............nothing more, nothing lesssmile.png

You don't get it do ya, saf comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, he's hardly going to say in public that he tells his players to dive !

No, you don't get it do ya,[b][s] saf [/s]ALL managers [/b]comments in the public domain and what he ses in private are probaly 2 different things, [b][s]he's hardly[/s] none of them are[/b] going to say in public that [b][s]he[/s][/b] they tell [b][s]his[/s][/b] their players to dive !

Don't worry alfie. With the RAGS, it's likebeatdeadhorse.gif

Thanks for the welcome back, but I've never left. I do a lot of lurking now, keep my eye on you dodgy lot.

Rus, whilst i appreciate the lurking you have been doing here fulfils in you a voyeuristic need that keeps you away from hiding in shadows below bedroom windows of neighbours, my feeling is, screw the neighbours sensibilities, our need for your common sense here is of greater importance. wink.png

Big one today. We are getting close, but still a job to do. It's not over yet...

• Like 1

No......but other managers are not claiming to tell players to stay on their feet !

Other managers aren't being grilled on it. Were they, i'm sure they would make the same sort of claim.

Of course biggrin.png

And of course whilst SAF might have been a little disingenuous, isn't it a better reaction to hold up your hands and admit there is a problem there and that you will have words with the player, than to react as say for example Kenny did when Carrol "fell over" and say that the player has said he didn't dive, and he believes him.

Now ok, Carrol wasn't as fortunate as Young in that he didn't manage to trick to ref, but if we are asking managers to condemn diving from their players, does the success of the dive really come into it?

Edited by rixalex

No......but other managers are not claiming to tell players to stay on their feet !

Other managers aren't being grilled on it. Were they, i'm sure they would make the same sort of claim.

Of course biggrin.png

And of course whilst SAF might have been a little disingenuous, isn't it a better reaction to hold up your hands and admit there is a problem there and that you will have words with the player, than to react as say for example Kenny did when Carrol "fell over" and say that the player has said he didn't dive, and he believes him.

Now ok, Carrol wasn't as fortunate as Young in that he didn't manage to trick to ref, but if we are expecting mangers to condemn diving from their players, i'm not sure if the success of the dive really comes into it.

Red nose has been smarter than Dalglish for sure. The Carroll business was actually embarrassing. More importantly though he is sending out a message to the refs that they can still award you penalties and due to him b*llocking Young you should not......and i shudder to think of it!!!!!!......be on the penalty decision blacklist. ermm.giflaugh.png

When it comes down to the mind games theres none better as we all know

• Like 1

Red nose has been smarter than Dalglish for sure. The Carroll business was actually embarrassing. More importantly though he is sending out a message to the refs that they can still award you penalties and due to him b*llocking Young you should not......and i shudder to think of it!!!!!!......be on the penalty decision blacklist. ermm.giflaugh.png

When it comes down to the mind games theres none better as we all know

I think you may be better than me at the mind games, cos i hadn't even thought of that angle of SAF sending a message to the refs. You are quite right, i'm sure that, as well as PR damage limitation, was in his mind.... the wiley old fox. wink.png

Phil Neville foul on Antonio Valencia today ....what are those odds wink.png

This game today is the must win for United,then we can go to City and smash them up next week cheesy.gif

Phil Neville own goal in the last minute to hand us victory would be rather fun.

Edited by rixalex

This game today is the must win for United,then we can go to City and smash them up next week cheesy.gif

Phil Neville own goal in the last minute to hand us victory would be rather fun.

Listen to the pair of ya....all we need now is nev and it'll be a scene from Macbeth....

Listen to the pair of ya....all we need now is nev and it'll be a scene from Macbeth....

Well well old red nose will not be happy....laugh.pngclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Par for the course,why oh why do we make it hard for ourselves?? w00t.gif

Fair play to Everton

Now for Citeh...can they take the pressure? whistling.gif

still fully expect city to bottle it. 4 wins and the title is yours, albeit 2 really tough games in there. don't think they've got enough lads who have been there before myself.

"There has been an expectancy from City that this could be their decider, but it is our decider too.

Ferguson after the game ......Quality!

Nice one that its like city have already won that game.

Great game to watch and everton deserved there point, i said to mate when evra missed that sitter to make it 5-2 that they will go up the other end and score and then get another and they bloody did, he hates football but he enjoyed watching me squirming in my seat.

Looking forward to next week, its still in our hands.

"There has been an expectancy from City that this could be their decider, but it is our decider too.

Ferguson after the game ......Quality!

Nice one that its like city have already won that game.

See nev. This is another time when you are saying we are presuming things. No, we are not presuming anything. And what exactly is so quality about what Fergie said. Obviously the next match could be the decider for both of us. Genius Fergie, who'd have known that.