Manchester United

redrus

Above on duncan edwards.

Little bit of trivia on Edwards,, In 1956-57, he played an astonishing 94 games at different levels – Football League Championship, FA Cup, European Cup, Full Internationals, and he also represented the Football League XI, England “B”, England U-23, and the Army

amazing that. he'd have been rotated and protected these days and would have played about thirty. wonder what might have been with him?

My dad told me the best player he has ever seen, and he said England would have won the world cup earlier with him and the other english players that died at munich in the team, a bold statement i know but who knows!.

I saw several of the Busby Babes in Dublin in May 1967 in a World Cup game. Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor played for England. Liam Whelan for Ireland.

Above on duncan edwards.

Little bit of trivia on Edwards,, In 1956-57, he played an astonishing 94 games at different levels – Football League Championship, FA Cup, European Cup, Full Internationals, and he also represented the Football League XI, England “B”, England U-23, and the Army

amazing that. he'd have been rotated and protected these days and would have played about thirty. wonder what might have been with him?

My dad told me the best player he has ever seen, and he said England would have won the world cup earlier with him and the other english players that died at munich in the team, a bold statement i know but who knows!.

I saw several of the Busby Babes in Dublin in May 1967 in a World Cup game. Roger Byrne, Duncan Edwards, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor played for England. Liam Whelan for Ireland.

I wish it was 1967 Salty wink.png 57 you mean not to show your age! tongue.png

My old fellow said that although he liked Duncan Edwards(everybody did) he died at such a young age the sad fact is nobody will ever know how good he could of been,and always said that there was no better natural footballer than George Best in the years 66 until 72 he was unstoppable.I only saw him play football live a few times but to this day see how effortlessly he went passed defenders. wai2.gif

20 years ago he joined Manchester United for 1.2 Million just a few of his little gems..........

"After his first training session in heaven, George Best, from the favourite right wing, turned the head of God who was filling in at left back."

"The revolution is really easy to do these days. What's the system? The system is built on the power of the banks. So it must be destroyed through the banks. A real revolution."

"I had a bad relationship with the manager, (Howard) Wilkinson. If I don't feel the environment is good, I don't want to be there. It's like with a woman: sometimes you can't find love, sometimes you can, but it's still not right, you want more, you want to give, you want to receive. I'm not sure that I would like to be with a woman who is like some of the chairmen I met."

i am proud of what I achieved there, but a life built on memories is not much of a life."

"I try to find different ways of expressing myself. Without that I will die."

"It is enjoyable to make things visible which are invisible."

"I'm so proud the fans still sing my name, but I fear tomorrow they will stop. I fear it because I love it. And everything you love, you fear you will lose."

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan. I didn't punch him strong enough. I should have punched him harder."

"I didn't study; I live."

"I prefer to play and lose rather than win, because I know in advance I'm going to win."

"Actually, I wanted to act even when I was still playing football."

"Even as a footballer, I was always being creative."

"I don't want to be in Terminator. I don't want to go to Hollywood."

"I stopped playing football because I'd done as much as I could. I needed something which was going to excite me as much as football had excited me."

"Deschamps gets by because he always gives 100 per cent, but he will never be anything more than a water carrier."

"In football you have an adversary; in cinema that adversary is yourself.""Often there are players who have only football as a way of expressing themselves and never develop other interests. And when they no longer play football, they no longer do anything; they no longer exist, or rather they have."

"Sometimes in life one experiences an emotion which is so strong that it is difficult to think, or to reason."

"The pressure people put on themselves and the rivalry between the teams is much more marked. And I think that's a good thing. As long as that rivalry remains within the spirit of competition, it can only spur everyone on."

"You can lose in cinema too if you don't put on a good performance."

"Sometimes you get submerged by emotion. I think it's very important to express it - which doesn't necessarily mean hitting someone."

"I am searching for abstract ways of expressing reality, abstract forms that will enlighten my own mystery."

"If you have only one passion in life - football - and you pursue it to the exclusion of everything else, it becomes very dangerous. When you stop doing this activity it is as though you are dying. The death of that activity is a death in itself."

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

THE KING

Three wingers starting only Carrick a midfielder a ageing Giggs you just knew, and yes it happened, why oh why does he have 2 young central midfielders starting on the bench when they need game time, no wonder Pogba left.

Spineless performance but all credit to Norwich they stuck in there deserved there win.

Only positives Smalling and Rafeal both had good games.

Norwich have now beaten Man U, Arsenal and Spurs (in the cup) already this season, so the result is no flash in the pan.

We don't have the resources to compete at the top for any sustained length of time and avoiding relegation is still our main aim. However, our fighting spirit is second to none. Norfolk is a sleepy, friendly part of the UK but we're passionate about our football.

Yes i have been to Norwich a few times with united and also i was there in 77 laugh.png

Nev, was 77 the year of the infamous match, when the Utd fans, erm how shall we say, decided the Carrow Road infrastructure needed some re-arranging??

lol- I was at that match, too...

I still remember one Man U fan who climbed up to the roof of the stand while there was a riot going on, on the terraces beneath him. He proceeded to tear the roof off the stand, piece by piece, and then hurled each piece of roof down onto the fans below, most of whom were his own fellow Reds.

He must have been well under the influence because after about ten minutes he fell off the roof down onto the terraces. You can imagine the height of the drop...

Anyway, the St. John's Ambulance boys plunge into the riot to get this guy and they bring him out on a stretcher and take him around the outside of the pitch to get medical treatment. He then comes under a hail of missiles from irate fans who suffered when he threw bits of roofing at them. Both NCFC and United fans were having a go at him.

So I was amazed when this guy jumps off the stretcher and despite his injuries single-handedly started attacking the crowd who were throwing things at him!

Incredible fighting spirit but how much had he drunk not to notice his injuries, I wonder!

Wasn't you, was it, Nev?? lol...

Edited by NCFC

Three wingers starting only Carrick a midfielder a ageing Giggs you just knew, and yes it happened, why oh why does he have 2 young central midfielders starting on the bench when they need game time, no wonder Pogba left.

Spineless performance but all credit to Norwich they stuck in there deserved there win.

Only positives Smalling and Rafeal both had good games.

Norwich have now beaten Man U, Arsenal and Spurs (in the cup) already this season, so the result is no flash in the pan.

We don't have the resources to compete at the top for any sustained length of time and avoiding relegation is still our main aim. However, our fighting spirit is second to none. Norfolk is a sleepy, friendly part of the UK but we're passionate about our football.

Yes i have been to Norwich a few times with united and also i was there in 77 laugh.png

Nev, was 77 the year of the infamous match, when the Utd fans, erm how shall we say, decided the Carrow Road infrastructure needed some re-arranging??

lol- I was at that match, too...

I still remember one Man U fan who climbed up to the roof of the stand while there was a riot going on, on the terraces beneath him. He proceeded to tear the roof off the stand, piece by piece, and then hurled each piece of roof down onto the fans below, most of whom were his own fellow Reds.

He must have been well under the influence because after about ten minutes he fell off the roof down onto the terraces. You can imagine the height of the drop...

Anyway, the St. John's Ambulance boys plunge into the riot to get this guy and they bring him out on a stretcher and take him around the outside of the pitch to get medical treatment. He then comes under a hail of missiles from irate fans who suffered when he threw bits of roofing at them. Both NCFC and United fans were having a go at him.

So I was amazed when this guy jumps off the stretcher and despite his injuries single-handedly started attacking the crowd who were throwing things at him!

Incredible fighting spirit but how much had he drunk not to notice his injuries, I wonder!

No matebiggrin.png the guy fell through the roof not off it, the sheeting broke and he fell through i am sure there was 2 that fell through?, yes united made a right mess of the old stand ripping the sheeting off and throwing it at the coppers.

Another time i went there was a midweek wednesday night,had a right job getting back to manchester had to get a train to birmingham and then one up to manchester, there was loads of us and no a ticket between ustongue.png icj's motto to pay is to fail wink.png

And another time there we went to great yarmouth after the game on the piss, we went in some club there think tower? have about 3 disco's, this was all in the 70's by the way, and in the club we got sussed as mancs suddenly got very moody, and those big buckle belts we was wearing come in very handy.

Incredible fighting spirit indeed! Sounds like he was a football hooligan version of the Black Knight.

Well that was a boring game, despite a very exciting first 30 seconds.

Hate it when we play without width. Just not the United way. Although West Ham didn't have many clear cut chances, they could easily have nicked something. And i really thought they just might of done when Evra played that awful back pass to the keeper in the dying minutes. Evans saved his blushes.... which makes a bit of a change, as it is usually someone saving Evan's blushes.

Anyway, three points is three points.

But when oh when are we going to properly click and start winning convincingly? Been an age since we did that.

Above on duncan edwards.

I remember talking football with an old guy a few years ago and he said that Duncan Edwards was simply amazing. By far the best of his day and cas to how good he might have been, simply skies the limit

Well that was a boring game, despite a very exciting first 30 seconds.

Hate it when we play without width. Just not the United way. Although West Ham didn't have many clear cut chances, they could easily have nicked something. And i really thought they just might of done when Evra played that awful back pass to the keeper in the dying minutes. Evans saved his blushes.... which makes a bit of a change, as it is usually someone saving Evan's blushes.

Anyway, three points is three points.

But when oh when are we going to properly click and start winning convincingly? Been an age since we did that.

I think because of him chopping and changing the side as much as he does it is doing the team more harm than good,obviously injuries are a part of it but i think he will start sticking with a team now that the Champions League is put to bed for a while.

Also the players are not doing themselves any favours when picked and grabbing the chance to stay in the team,i don't think anyone in that team last night played particularly well maybe the two centre halfs did well but the team seemed a bit too defensive for me at home with Carrick as a holding player and two central midfielders in front of him!!

Also no wingers .....?

Maybe we are just saving it all up for the Derby whistling.gif i hope so but still three points and a clean sheet so still up there!

Nemanja Vidic: Manchester United defender set for return

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says Nemanja Vidic could make a surprise comeback in next week's Champions League tie with Cluj.

Vidic was not expected back from a serious knee injury until Christmas, but the United captain has returned to training ahead of schedule.

Ferguson said that the Serbia defender could feature in the 5 December game at Old Trafford.

"Good defenders win you the league. It would be nice to play him on Wednesday in the Champions League against Cluj."

Vidic's return will be welcomed by United, who have struggled for clean sheets in the absence of the 31-year-old.

Should he play against Cluj and emerge unscathed, Vidic could feature for the leaders in the derby at Manchester City on 9 December.

"Vidic has probably only played about 10 or 12 games in the last 18 months," added Ferguson.

"He started training during the week and he's done OK. He hasn't been involved in the really competitive part, but at least he's back with the rest.

Former Spartak Moscow player Vidic has played just four Premier League games this season, his last appearance the 1-0 home victory over Galatasarayin the Champions League on 19 September.

Portugal winger Nani, who has been missing since the beginning of the month with a hamstring injury, is facing longer out.

"Nani is going to be out possibly for another four or five weeks," Ferguson said.

The United manager also confirmed Antonio Valencia would miss Saturday's trip to Reading with a hip injury.

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

We are up 4-3 at half time.

I rather we were 1-0 up.

I do not care if we win this match 10-3.

We let in 3 goals against a bottom team within 30 minutes.

And once again, we were trailing after arrogant pedestrian football.

Nothing less than ridicules!

I'm afraid that "The prostitutes" will regain the title this season.

I wish it was 1967 Salty wink.png 57 you mean not to show your age! tongue.png

My old fellow said that although he liked Duncan Edwards(everybody did) he died at such a young age the sad fact is nobody will ever know how good he could of been,and always said that there was no better natural footballer than George Best in the years 66 until 72 he was unstoppable.I only saw him play football live a few times but to this day see how effortlessly he went passed defenders. wai2.gif

IMO greaves was the player of the early 60's and Best took the mantle from around 66 onwards, 4 me, 68 was his best season he was totally unplayable.

How do you mean? I obviously know who you are meaning but can you give me your definition for giving us that label?

Bit of a let down that yesterday eh!!! clap2.gif now then if we come to the council house and break you massive unbeaten record....that would be a nail in the coffin wouldn't it? post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifintheclub.gif

How do you mean? I obviously know who you are meaning but can you give me your definition for giving us that label?

Bit of a let down that yesterday eh!!! clap2.gif now then if we come to the council house and break you massive unbeaten record....that would be a nail in the coffin wouldn't it? post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694572.gifintheclub.gif

If Reading can put three past you one wonders how many City will score if their midfield and strikers click? Could be another drubbing on the cards and lets face it, the "we can score more than you" always gets found out by the better sides.

If Reading can put three past you one wonders how many City will score if their midfield and strikers click? Could be another drubbing on the cards and lets face it, the "we can score more than you" always gets found out by the better sides.

Agreed our defence was a joke......... still we pull clear at the top thumbsup.gif

Too right Carms. I can't believe Red is jumping up and down hysterically after that preformance yesterday. Yes it was 3 points but they should be worried massively about their defence.

I am worried but know it will come good sooner or later meanwhile we seem to be riding it out because of our quality at the other end.

You are still to play one of the better sides in this years CL. When you do i think you are in for an absolute mauling on what what in evidence last night.

I would imagine Mancini is looking for nothing less than three points next week. Whilst i'm full of praise for Ferguson keeping you at the top of the table without Vidic back very soon you will start to fade.

I wish we could play you next week

Start to fade??

Do you want to bring that United in decline thread back again? keep talking while we keep looking down on you all.

What about your defence? biggrin.png

We kept a clean sheet without bellyaching about our injuries.

You could be in for a terrible beating next week. whistling.gif

Too right Carms. I can't believe Red is jumping up and down hysterically after that preformance yesterday. Yes it was 3 points but they should be worried massively about their defence.

MrBojangles

I am not jumping up and down hysterically on my laptop that is for sure but on a weekend when we have a three point lead open up the pressure is now on your club next weekend!

Please please understand that everything is banter for me the only exception would be Liverpool because i really hate that club and all its self centered followers.wink.png

So lets look forward to the derby lighten up and win or lose we will have some booze biggrin.pngdrunk.gif

• Like 1

MrBojangles

I am not jumping up and down hysterically on my laptop that is for sure but on a weekend when we have a three point lead open up the pressure is now on your club next weekend!

Please please understand that everything is banter for me the only exception would be Liverpool because i really hate that club and all its self centered followers.wink.png

So lets look forward to the derby lighten up and win or lose we will have some booze biggrin.pngdrunk.gif

So True!!

You still talk <deleted> though, Redlaugh.png

I am not jumping up and down hysterically on my laptop

This was the post I was referring to Red. Your emoticon's have gone doo lally. There wasn't this much excitement when you beat Braga wink.png

• Like 1

Cannot believe we are top with a 3 point lead, we have not been convincing at all this season maybe except Newcastle away ist 30mins, but hey 80% win record w12 l 3 isn't to bad seeing we have a very dodgy defense, we need to be really on our game at city, or else as others are pointing out we might get a mauling.

I just hope fergie does not pick giggs or scholes to start or even both, if he does we will get a mauling, must be carrick anderson and cleverley, i would also add fletcher and Rooney and RVP up front, forget wingers pack the midfield and hopefully protect the defense.

And please mr fergie no paring the bus, better to go out and lose 2-3 than a drab 1-0 loss like last season, i think even at this early in the season every one can see who gets the better results out of the derby games will finish on top come may.