Manchester United

redrus

Not bad this from 'The Fail'.......... The battle for Bale: Real Madrid may want him but United may now hold the key to signing the Tottenham superstar

By IAN LADYMAN

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 23 July 2013 | UPDATED: 23:55, 23 July 2013

According to those who know him, Gareth Bale remains a down-to-earth kind of footballer.

For example, when he plays for Wales in Cardiff, he still gets his mum Debbie to record the game so that he can go ‘home’ afterwards and watch it.

Success, they say, hasn’t changed him much. Even he, though, must have found his head swirling on Tuesday when the front page of Spanish sports paper Marca claimed — somewhat prematurely it appears — that he has agreed a six-year deal to join Real Madrid.

Bale, remember, wasn’t even a regular in the Tottenham team when Harry Redknapp arrived at White Hart Lane in 2008. Indeed, so unconvinced was Redknapp initially by the young left-back that he offered him to Manchester City as bait for Craig Bellamy.

Now, in the summer of 2013, Bale is one of Europe’s most sought-after footballers, coveted by Madrid and Manchester United, and destined, it seems, for the very highest level of the European game at some time in the next 12 months.

Spurs, of course, are trying to hang on for another season at least and who can blame them?

Without their most influential player, Andre Villas-Boas and his entertaining team will find themselves short of what is needed for a top-four finish.

With Bale still in harness, Tottenham still have a chance and no wonder Villas-Boas was talking in such belligerent fashion on Tuesday when asked in Hong Kong about the future of the 24-year-old.

‘I want to repeat what I was telling you last season and what I was telling you from the beginning of pre-season so I cannot extend myself,’ said Villas-Boas.

‘He’s a Tottenham player, he’s one of the most fantastic players in the world at the moment and we are counting on him for the future.’

It is easy to sympathise with Villas-Boas. Tottenham will sell Bale before long. It makes sense. The timing, though, is everything and it is clear that they will do what they can this summer to prevent him leaving, before September 1 heralds the closing of the summer trading window.

Interest from Real is genuine, as indeed it is from United. As it stands, an offer is most likely to come from Old Trafford.

It is hard to see Real testing Tottenham’s resistance while Cristiano Ronaldo remains at the Bernabeu and it is worth noting that Carlo Ancelotti also has another direct wide forward currently in his squad, Argentina international Angel di Maria.

Taking that into account, does Ancelotti need Bale? Not really. Not until Ronaldo leaves, at least, and when looked at from that angle it seems as though United may hold the key to all this.

As we know, United have flirted with the notion of a dramatic and sentimental return for Ronaldo. Some people in football insist it will still happen. As time moves on, however, it seems ever more difficult for United to pull off.

More possible is that the Barclays Premier League champions harden their interest in Bale himself.

Former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has long been a fan of the Welshman, having tried to bring him to Old Trafford before Spurs signed him from Southampton in 2007. Now that the baton has been passed to David Moyes at United, the admiration for Bale remains.

Moyes knows that Bale would bring an awful lot to his team but — as Sportsmail first reported in early June — United are reluctant to begin another period of painful sparring with their old adversary, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy. Negotiations with Levy tend to be as painful and drawn out as pulling teeth and without any guarantee of a successful resolution.

United have experience — having bought Michael Carrick in 2006 and Dimitar Berbatov in 2008 — and it is this that makes them nervous.Equally, though, the club’s owners the Glazers want a marquee signing this summer and the more other avenues begin to close off the more likely a serious attempt to get Bale out of Tottenham becomes.

Luka Modric has long been on United’s back-up list as they look for a creative midfielder, while Moyes has a week to decide whether to close in on Everton’s Marouane Fellaini, as the Belgian’s £22m buy-out clause expires on July 31.

Certainly, the longer Barcelona’s stubbornness over Cesc Fabregas goes on, the more likely it is that something will have to give. United need players and Moyes has already indicated publicly this week that he cannot wait forever.United’s fanbase are also starting to get a little agitated. Moyes is aware of this and remains calm. When he looks across the landscape, though, he can see his rivals spending money, strengthening. If this doesn’t make him nervous yet then it soon will do.

Bale, for his part, is keen to better himself before long. Represented by the experienced agent Jonathan Barnett, he will get his move eventually and those of us who enjoy watching him play so much can only hope he remains in the Premier League.

There are too few of his ilk left. For once it’s all too easy to understand all the fuss.

redrus

Desperate times for you lot! rolleyes.gif

Cesc doesn't want to move to Manchester and Bale is going to Spain next summer.

I don't know what your board are up to redrus....I'm reminded of Comical Ali....."They will sign....they cannot resist...." facepalm.gif

You are taking an educated guess, you don't know that for certain and, are only pontificating mate..... He could, just could, turn out better.. You just never know.. wink.png

redrus

I think everybody knows its a very accurate guess. Probably completely correct. I also think Moyes is already looking over his shoulder. Suddenly that gimme bit of silverware against mighty Wigan has become a very big game for Mr Moyeswink.png

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

No doubting he is a good player and he still has the ability to step up to the level we require maybe this season for senor Cleverly wink.png whatever he will get games.

It wasn't a serious question Red biggrin.png

Up to me!

Oh i get it now Red, yours wasn't a serious answer either, bit like a double bluff ah

Desperate times for you lot! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

I don't know what your board are up to redrus....I'm reminded of Comical Ali....."They will sign....they cannot resist...." facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

Blaaaah....... ;)

You are taking an educated guess, you don't know that for certain and, are only pontificating mate..... He could, just could, turn out better.. You just never know.. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

redrus

I think everybody knows its a very accurate guess. Probably completely correct. I also think Moyes is already looking over his shoulder. Suddenly that gimme bit of silverware against mighty Wigan has become a very big game for Mr Moyesxwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Blaaahh Blaaahhh....... :D

redrus

ps; sorry, that's all I'm hearing...

• Like 1

Desperate times for you lot! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

I don't know what your board are up to redrus....I'm reminded of Comical Ali....."They will sign....they cannot resist...." facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

Blaaaah....... wink.png

You are taking an educated guess, you don't know that for certain and, are only pontificating mate..... He could, just could, turn out better.. You just never know.. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

redrus

I think everybody knows its a very accurate guess. Probably completely correct. I also think Moyes is already looking over his shoulder. Suddenly that gimme bit of silverware against mighty Wigan has become a very big game for Mr Moyesxwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Blaaahh Blaaahhh....... biggrin.png

redrus

ps; sorry, that's all I'm hearing...

i'm hearing the pain Russ!!

Still, it was Yokahama mate, it could have been......well i was about to say a shit team but they are arn't theylaugh.png

• Like 2

See how we can handle trolling on here boys unlike your lot when on your thread...tippy toes round the jewlips.

We can take it boys because we know there is good news a coming! biggrin.png

• Like 2

See how we can handle trolling on here boys unlike your lot when on your thread...tippy toes round the jewlips.

Is our new striker signing today then mate? biggrin.png

This stupid double posting thing again....its been going on for days now!! bah.gif

Mind you its the same record on here all summer so not much difference. laugh.png

PICTURE: Manchester United collect their MSC trophy

Manchester United’s Reserves have today collected the Manchester Senior Cup which they retained after fixture congestion meant the competition could not be completed.

Warren Joyce’s side won the cup back in 2012 and 2011, so they will be looking to make it four years on the bounce in the 2013/2014 season when it begins again on 30 September.

The team were presented with their medals with the likes of Bebe, Macheda and Henriquez all picking one up too.

The Reserves also have the chance to win the first silverware of this season when they face off against Manchester City for the Lancashire Senior Cup on 6 August.

msc2013.jpg?fit=480%2C179

Manchester United’s Reserves have today collected the Manchester Senior Cup which they retained after fixture congestion meant the competition could not be completed.

Warren Joyce’s side won the cup back in 2012 and 2011, so they will be looking to make it four years on the bounce in the 2013/2014 season when it begins again on 30 September.

The team were presented with their medals with the likes of Bebe, Macheda and Henriquez all picking one up too.

The Reserves also have the chance to win the first silverware of this season when they face off against Manchester City for the Lancashire Senior Cup on 6 August.

Thats the closest you will be to seeing a trophy for the next few years Redlaugh.png

Thats the closest you will be to seeing a trophy for the next few years Redlaugh.png

Was expecting that tongue.png Three years in a row though not bad eh! wink.png

Was expecting that tongue.png Three years in a row though not bad eh! wink.png

You opened the door!! It would have been rude not tolaugh.png

Manchester Uniteds Reserves have today collected the Manchester Senior Cup which they retained after fixture congestion meant the competition could not be completed.

Warren Joyces side won the cup back in 2012 and 2011, so they will be looking to make it four years on the bounce in the 2013/2014 season when it begins again on 30 September.

On, mate! That is desperate. It's only you, City, Bolton, Oldham, Bury and Stockport in it!

Well sadly it looks like we won't have space to take your scouser on loan.....Soldado will be a Spurs player by the weekend. thumbsup.gif

Happy to say we're having a wonderful summer of transfers. clap2.gif

Care to share any of your secrets yet lads? tongue.png

I'm off to the sandpit today....no not the big one just a wee bit of paradise....have a lovely day won't you. biggrin.png

Well sadly it looks like we won't have space to take your scouser on loan.....Soldado will be a Spurs player by the weekend. thumbsup.gif

Happy to say we're having a wonderful summer of transfers. clap2.gif

Care to share any of your secrets yet lads? tongue.png

I'm off to the sandpit today....no not the big one just a wee bit of paradise....have a lovely day won't you. biggrin.png

Skegness?

Send postcard for the what you doing today thread please Smokie.

Cerezo Osaka 2 United 2

Zaha was a real handful again when he came on and Kagawa missed a pen and scored later on at his home club

CEREZO OSAKA 2

(Sugimoto 34, Minamino 63)

MANCHESTER UNITED 2

(Kagawa 54, Zaha 90)

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour2013/Tour2013News/2013/Jul/match-report-cerezo-osaka-manchester-united.aspx#

ey up...1 win out of 4 whistling.gif Tough match against Kitchee next, they've beaten Milan and Juve in the past wink.png

• Like 1