Manchester United

redrus

3-5-2

Aston Villa XI: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Cissokho, Sanchez, Delph, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Benteke.

Manchester United XI: De Gea, Jones, Carrick, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Mata, Rooney, Young, Van Persie, Falcao.

There is a lot of pressure on Carrick again with this system especially when you have Mata and Rooney as attacking midfielders so lets hope Fletcher does have a solid game and the wing backs do there jobs.

Should be a few goals in this one smile.png villa going the same system

HT and United just playing into Villas hands by taking 10-15 sideways passes in midfield .Got to use some pace and drive down the flanks and into the box.

Guzan has had nothing to do. LVG get De Maria on please this is painful to watch.

Agree mate, dreadful dull first half, lots of possession but no killer ball, need Di maria on.

Yesterday it was Mata and Rooneys job to be the inventive pairing in the middle ...Mata was not up to it and Rooney stayed to deep when they changed it in the second half (Carrick to midfield)we looked better but still not penetrating enough.

Ashley Young was probably our best player and that says it all.

Carrick should of started in midfield because we had Blackett fit.

We need to get rid of Felliani and Mata and not sign Falcao for me it doesn't work with Falcao and Van Persie together up front.

Better to play Di Maria and Rooney playing off the front man(Van Persie) with two wing backs and three solid midfielders ie Carrick Herrera and and Blind when fit.

4-4-2 tonight with what we have available i hope and give the two up front a chance to show they can play together maybe? Newcastle have actually got a worse injury list than we have so the game should be open and full of goals as usual at both ends. Tiote is suspended for them which is a plus for us.

We are at home so Carrick controlling the midfield with the rock that is Evans and Jones behind him tongue.png and let the rest including Rooney push on .....LVG made a mistake against Villa telling Rooney to sit deeper.

DDG

RAFAEL EVANS JONES BLACKETT

VALENCIA ROONEY CARRICK ADM

RVP FALCAO

• Like 1

^

I'll go with that though I'd prefer Rojo in somewhere at the back, I like the lads tenacity.

Is it only me that's just realised Rojo, means Red, in Spanish. laugh.png

redrus

Nice catch Russ. The EPL commentators often refer to him as Row Ko rather than Row Ho. Perhaps you could have a word with them.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

^

I'll go with that though I'd prefer Rojo in somewhere at the back, I like the lads tenacity.

redrus

Nice catch Russ. The EPL commentators often refer to him as Row Ko rather than Row Ho. Perhaps you could have a word with them.thumbsup.gif

Thanks mate.

Not sure why no one, not even the press have picked up on this...?

They were soooo quick to point out that 'Etihad' means United in Arabic, yet this is just left. I'm chuffed to bits we've signed a player actually called 'RED'.

redrus

• Like 2

^

redrus

Thanks mate.

They were soooo quick to point out that 'Etihad' means United in Arabic, yet this is just left. I'm chuffed to bits we've signed a player actually called 'RED'.

redrus

And if we signed a player called redrus I am sure you would spunk ur pants, as for the game I thought we played very well and some good goals scored, Rooney is a top player 2 goals and another assist, and some on here say he is overrated 5555.

^

redrus

Thanks mate.

redrus

And if we signed a player called redrus I am sure you would spunk ur pants, as for the game I thought we played very well and some good goals scored, Rooney is a top player 2 goals and another assist, and some on here say he is overrated 5555.

Rooney is looking good in Midfield. Probably should give it a go for England too.

^

redrus

Thanks mate.

redrus

Rooney is looking good in Midfield. Probably should give it a go for England too.

Bugger England, he needs to retire from international duty and concentrate on being our captain.

• Like 1

Well for those of us that have been banging on about Rooney playing a semi permanent midfield role it looks like we have got our wish.I can't see LVG reversing this change in formation.Rooney was head and shoulders above anyone else against Newcastle but we might have to pass final judgement after a few games.

Although he denies it I'm sure he has got his sights on the goals scoring record for United,He's only a handful behind Law and Charlton about 25.

I can actually see him scoring more when he arrives in the box as he did the last game than being an out and out striker.He is not blessed with pace and this suits him better as he reads the game well.His range of diagonal balls has become almost Scholesish.

Di Maria becomes the 44th injury this year and while Chelsea can play the same team week in week out at this stage I'll settle for 4th place and a run in the FA Cup.

So Fellaini and Januzaj are ill, Rojo and Shaw might make the bench.Smalling might be ready.Blind weeks off

Well for those of us that have been banging on about Rooney playing a semi permanent midfield role it looks like we have got our wish.I can't see LVG reversing this change in formation.Rooney was head and shoulders above anyone else against Newcastle but we might have to pass final judgement after a few games.

Although he denies it I'm sure he has got his sights on the goals scoring record for United,He's only a handful behind Law and Charlton about 25.

I can actually see him scoring more when he arrives in the box as he did the last game than being an out and out striker.He is not blessed with pace and this suits him better as he reads the game well.His range of diagonal balls has become almost Scholesish.

Di Maria becomes the 44th injury this year and while Chelsea can play the same team week in week out at this stage I'll settle for 4th place and a run in the FA Cup.

So Fellaini and Januzaj are ill, Rojo and Shaw might make the bench.Smalling might be ready.Blind weeks off

He might actually pick the same team as he picked against Newcastle which would be a first this season,i doubt it though.

There will be goals i am sure just hope we can nick it or even "scrape it" tongue.png with a dodgy penalty or offside in days of old we used to rely on the ball not even crossing the line and winning.

I hope Valencia and Young get forward at every opportunity and Rooney is also allowed to push on.

He might actually pick the same team as he picked against Newcastle which would be a first this season,i doubt it though.

There will be goals i am sure just hope we can nick it or even "scrape it" tongue.png with a dodgy penalty or offside in days of old we used to rely on the ball not even crossing the line and winning.

I hope Valencia and Young get forward at every opportunity and Rooney is also allowed to push on.

Well LVG has picked the same team and why not. A prize to the anyone who can remember the last time MU selected the same team running...dunno !!!

Not many attacking options on the bench I guess they are all on the pitch

Well a few things we learnt last night.United could have been out of sight first half and were lucky to hang onto a draw at the final whistle ,they looked leg less.

Falcao is no where near fit enough to play 90 mins.I am surprised he didn't get replaced by young Wison but Mc nair and Evans were struggling.I expect him to start against Stoke.

Shaw looks like he is ready and with Smalling fit gain it will be a different back three or four.

Watching most of the games and replays LVG 2 games in such a short time at the tempo required is affecting the spectacle but money rules.

Well a few things we learnt last night.United could have been out of sight first half and were lucky to hang onto a draw at the final whistle ,they looked leg less.

Falcao is no where near fit enough to play 90 mins.I am surprised he didn't get replaced by young Wison but Mc nair and Evans were struggling.I expect him to start against Stoke.

Shaw looks like he is ready and with Smalling fit gain it will be a different back three or four.

Watching most of the games and replays LVG 2 games in such a short time at the tempo required is affecting the spectacle but money rules.

One thing that stuck out to me was Uniteds fitness level. Its simply not good enough. Spurs are much fitter and it really showed in the last half hour. As you say, you should have been out of sight in the first half but are physically not fit enough to maintain that tempo.

Only a couple of hours away from the start of the premier league for 2015 and Stoke and United up first, a real test for us against a strong physical team, Bojan being out is a big loss for them.

I am going for 2-1 to United.

Happy New year to all on here whoever your allegiance to is.

• Like 1

One thing that stuck out to me was Uniteds fitness level. Its simply not good enough. Spurs are much fitter and it really showed in the last half hour. As you say, you should have been out of sight in the first half but are physically not fit enough to maintain that tempo.

Yes agree Spurs were far and away up for it but there's a good reason for the fitness levels at united being down.

Not wishing to go through the whole team however.

Evans: Been out injured for weeks,not match hardened,limped off,legs had gone

Falcao ;Obviously after such a serious knee injury and only playing the last 20 mins in previous games,can't be expected to play 90 yet, was legless last 20 min

Mc Nair : Similar to Evans ,been injured brought back prematurely as no alternative,limped off legs gone

Shaw : Been out for weeks was only capable for the last 20 mins but should be ok for this week.

Raphael :Been out for weeks played as a sub still not match hardened.

Rojo : Been out for weeks with a dislocated shoulder and probably only make the bench this week.

These are not excuses just facts of football life.At the level of fitness required in this league regular games give you the capacity of playing 2 games a week but not if you are coming back from injury.I still say Chelsea's position is aided by veterans Terry and Cahill being there every week as is the mostly the whole back 4, makes a huge difference,good luck to them.Look at City when Kompany is not there

I expect Jones Smalling and Shaw might be the back 3 this week and Wilson to start up front with VP.

Di Maria ,Hererra, Fellaina , Januzaj not expected to start but may make the bench. To be where United are I consider a reasonable effort.

Its on record United's worst injury list ever over the last few months,just got to get on with it.Going to Stoke would not be anyone's choice of fixtures.Hughes must be looking forward to it.

Yes agree Spurs were far and away up for it but there's a good reason for the fitness levels at united being down.

Falcao ;Obviously after such a serious knee injury and only playing the last 20 mins in previous games,can't be expected to play 90 yet, was legless last 20 min

Mc Nair : Similar to Evans ,been injured brought back prematurely as no alternative,limped off legs gone

Shaw : Been out for weeks was only capable for the last 20 mins but should be ok for this week.

Rojo : Been out for weeks with a dislocated shoulder and probably only make the bench this week.

These are not excuses just facts of football life.At the level of fitness required in this league regular games give you the capacity of playing 2 games a week but not if you are coming back from injury.I still say Chelsea's position is aided by veterans Terry and Cahill being there every week as is the mostly the whole back 4, makes a huge difference,good luck to them.Look at City when Kompany is not there

I expect Jones Smalling and Shaw might be the back 3 this week and Wilson to start up front with VP.

Di Maria ,Hererra, Fellaina , Januzaj not expected to start but may make the bench. To be where United are I consider a reasonable effort.

Its on record United's worst injury list ever over the last few months,just got to get on with it.Going to Stoke would not be anyone's choice of fixtures.Hughes must be looking forward to it.

No Carrick? Or was that just an oversight?

I would like to see if fit...Three big guys at the back to handle the obvious aerial threat if Felliani could play at centre back then he might have a future at United otherwise he is not required for me as we have better players in his position already.Herrera never stops and gives his all in the games i have seen him in.

DDG

JONES EVANS SMALLING

VALENCIA CARRICK HERRERA YOUNG

ROONEY DI MARIA

RVP

SUBS

RAFAEL

SHAW

ROJO

MATA

WILSON

FALCAO

FELLIANI facepalm.gif

Januzaj seems to have lost his way as most do after a very good first season ....he hasn't been given much chance because of injury and even when fit has been overlooked so he has to start performing when brought off the bench which goes for all on the bench now as we start to get players back it will get much more interesting in the spit the dummy out department.

I think another first half performance like at Spurs will be needed and then?......

• Like 1

No Carrick? Or was that just an oversight?

I would like to see if fit...Three big guys at the back to handle the obvious aerial threat if Felliani could play at centre back then he might have a future at United otherwise he is not required for me as we have better players in his position already.Herrera never stops and gives his all in the games i have seen him in.

DDG

JONES EVANS SMALLING

VALENCIA CARRICK HERRERA YOUNG

ROONEY DI MARIA

RVP

SUBS

RAFAEL

SHAW

ROJO

MATA

WILSON

FALCAO

FELLIANI facepalm.gif

Januzaj seems to have lost his way as most do after a very good first season ....he hasn't been given much chance because of injury and even when fit has been overlooked so he has to start performing when brought off the bench which goes for all on the bench now as we start to get players back it will get much more interesting in the spit the dummy out department.

I think another first half performance like at Spurs will be needed and then?......

Januzaj was awful. Jones doesn't look half the player he was a Blackburn and Evans drives me nuts.

• Like 1

Just watching the Stoke V United match and the pundit just said something about United are in transition. Can someone explain to me why United are in transition.

I blame the scousers, they were the first club to use transition as an excuse and if they hadn't spoke of it then it wouldn't be bandied about willy nilly like it is nowadays biggrin.png

Just watching the Stoke V United match and the pundit just said something about United are in transition. Can someone explain to me why United are in transition.

Due to a manager change, new formation, tactics and players.

It's become an automatic gesture whenever a club replace the manager/head coach.

My team Tottenham are in transition nearly every season! go figure.

• Like 1

Due to a manager change, new formation, tactics and players.

It's become an automatic gesture whenever a club replace the manager/head coach.

My team Tottenham are in transition nearly every season! go figure.

In that case, every team except Arsenal are in transition. We even won the league twice in the last 3 years whilst in transition and having a new manager in his first year.