Manchester United

redrus

The good news is that we made you panic and made you have to up your offer to +30m. Way more than you had been pontificating over. Then we swooped for Robinho instead. Bet Chelski aren't happy :o

lol, You made us panic then, changed your minds and paid even more over the odds for a man who didn't know who you were yesterday.... :D

No matter how much money you have, you are now just a toy too, welcome on board. How long before you set up your own lower league team, the dippers have done it, your turn....?

redrus

You're havin a Giraffe ain't you Red? Every city fan i know is over the moon. And as for paying over the odds, you got Berbie for a song did you? At least after 4 years our investment will be still worth something. Berbie will be 31 and worth naff all :D

Won't matter if you've still won nowt..... :o

<deleted> though mate, you of all people realise how long it will take to catch up with United and Liverpool, never mind Real Madrid in the Champions League. Unless, don't tell me, it's quadruples every year from next year, no next year, noooo, I meant next year...........................................

redrus

I don't intend in dying anytime soon Red, I've been waiting 32 years so i can wait a little longer.

I certainly hope not young man. I'll chear with you when you win something, at least we'll have to start the odometre in the Stretty again though.... :D

No matter how much cash you have though mate you know, you will not buy sustained success by by throwing money at it. Chelsea surprise me but, they still play naff football. Too many ego's, I know united have a few but, it's still tempered by the level headed ones that have been around a while and long may that continue, as that is the route to sustained silverware.

Along with an astute manager of coarse who smirks at those not gracious enough to accept genius...! :o

Good luck to you and your team mate.... :D

redrus

I don't intend in dying anytime soon Red, I've been waiting 32 years so i can wait a little longer.

I certainly hope not young man. I'll chear with you when you win something, at least we'll have to start the odometre in the Stretty again though.... :D

I must admit, that odometre is the bain of my life every time i go there. It will certainly be a luverley day when it goes :(

No matter how much cash you have though mate you know, you will not buy sustained success by by throwing money at it.

True but with big money you gotta admit you have a better chance. If United didn't have the cash they have they wouldn't be so successful.

Along with an astute manager of coarse who smirks at those not gracious enough to accept genius...! :D

Hopefully our manager will be one game away from the sack and then turn it around, too :o:D

Good luck to you and your team mate.... :D

Cheers buddy :D

You're havin a Giraffe ain't you Red? Every city fan i know is over the moon. And as for paying over the odds, you got Berbie for a song did you? At least after 4 years our investment will be still worth something. Berbie will be 31 and worth naff all :o

Sounds like you have been watching too much Chelsea over the past few seasons. A certain fella name Shevchunko comes to mind, speaking on solid returns on investment.

Robihno = tons of potential but unlike Berbatov = proven in the premiership.

Let's revisit this space at the end of the season once the little lad has a year of Nothern English weather and the bumps and bruises from CB's like Vidic, Terry, Ferdinand and the like.

Just heard on the grapevine from a very reliable source at my local, that Curbs is to become Fergies assistant at O.T.

:o

Fergie appoints Phelan as new assistant

442 Staff - 26 minutes ago

Sir Alex Ferguson has appointed Mike Phelan as his new assistant replacing Carlos Queiroz, who became Portugal coach in the close season, the club announced on their website.

Phelan, a former United midfielder, previously held the role of first team coach at the Premier League champions.

Replacing Mick as first team coach will be skills development expert Rene Meulensteen.

Speaking to United's official website, Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I am delighted that Mick and Rene have agreed to fill these important positions.

"Mick knows Manchester United inside out, having been associated with the club for the best part of 20 years. He is a very talented and professional coach, whose ability and contribution to the club’s success has often been understated.

“Rene brings different ideas and experience to the role of first team coach. I believe he and Mick will provide an excellent team to continue the club’s willingness to try new ideas and constantly drive for success in an increasingly competitive game.”

redrus

Manucho given Man Utd go-ahead

Angola striker Manucho can finally play for Manchester United, after receiving a UK work permit.

The 25-year-old was offered a three-year contract by the Old Trafford outfit last December - but did not receive official clearance.

He then went out on a three-month loan to Greek side Panathinaikos.

"When we looked at the rules we found that he qualified for a work permit automatically," United Chief Executive David Gill told MUTV.

"He's 25 years-old and has got a lot of great attributes.

"You only need to look at the goals he scored at the African Nations Cup to see that and I think he brings something different to the team."

Manucho was one of the stars of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana, scoring four goals as the Palancas Negras progressed to the quarter-finals.

"He's got a little injury at the moment but we're looking forward to him getting fit and showing us what he can do; he's a great prospect," added Gill.

Manucho joins the likes of Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez in a formidable United attacking line-up.

The departures of Fraizer Campbell and Louis Saha give him a better chance of earning a start.

redrus

September 3rd, 2008

Bitter Blue Gallagher

To be a city fan… all together now. All together now..................

“It’ll be nice to know that every gallon of petrol a Manchester United fan buys is going into our kitty,” Noel Gallagher said today, in response to news they had been bought by Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment. Nothing like a bit of stereotyping eh? The fact the new owners, Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment, have not made their fortune in the oil industry, seems to have passed ol Noel by.

“I’m pleased we’ve managed to swindle United out of a few bob as they’ve had to pay over the odds for Berbatov,” he added. Have we? Or have we just paid Tottenham’s asking price? Again, bitter blue Gallagher is blinded by his hatred of United.

However, he’s not entirely senseless, recognising that Cristiano Ronaldo would never sign for them and the only reason why Robinho would sign for City is the money. “I can only assume they’ve offered Robinho a fortune because there is no other reason he’d come to City!”

As for Ronaldo? “The last place in the world he is going to come to is here!”

For the laugh;

No way sis....!

*Cheers me up every time I see that.... :o

Who the <deleted> are Man United? Champions of England and Champions of Europe. Who the <deleted> are City? Forever in our shadow.

Bring on the fun, its about time we had some competition.... :D

redrus

Edited by redrus

Your'e worried Red, i can tell. Posting articles like that, i can tell......your'e VERY worried :D

LOL

Like you said Mr B, just reporting the news. I heard that interview on the radio, thought it was FAF then, the oil jibe n that. I'm happy for you lad but, in no way worried, not one chuffin bit fella not one chuffin bit.... :o

redrus

Just heard on the grapevine from a very reliable source at my local, that Curbs is to become Fergies assistant at O.T.

:D

There's nothing wrong with my sources' timing, it's just that his tip-offs are terrible, that's the last time I buy my old wino mate any more sauce.

:o

Hey Red do you remember the time when nearly everybody out there in football-land were slagging off Man U. for being such a rich club ? It's gone awfully quiet of late.

Word is that even Everton have the prayer mats out and praying to Mecca.

How times change Ken, it'll be nice to be the underdog for once eh.... :o

KEANE: UNITED STRONGER WITH BERBATOV

By Damian Spellman, PA Sport, Mainz

Liverpool striker Robbie Keane has tipped former Tottenham team-mate Dimitar Berbatov to make Manchester United even stronger.

The Republic of Ireland skipper, who will lead his national side out against Georgia in Germany on Saturday evening, was not surprised when Berbatov followed him through the exit door at Whit Hart Lane to complete a deadline day £30.75million switch to Old Trafford.

But while Keane admits it is a great move for the Bulgaria international, he is confident it is an even better one for United.

He said: "It was no secret that he was going to go there, everybody knew that Berba was going to go to Manchester United.

"It's a fantastic move for him, but it's a massive one for Man United because he is a top, top player.

"I have seen that at first hand and he will be a massive addition to the Man United squad."

Asked if he had sympathy for his former club, who desperately tried to hang on to the player before finally admitting defeat, Keane said: "I am sure Berba wants to be a better player and he wants to win things, and I think that's the reason he want to Manchester United.

"But Tottenham have brought in a lot of quality players also."

redrus

Gerrard out of Liverpool vs Man United clash

442 - Today, 15:34

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of Saturday's Premier League showdown with north-west rivals Manchester United at Anfield.

The England midfielder is recovering after recently undergoing groin surgery, which forced him to miss England's World Cup qualifiers in Andorra and Croatia.

Speaking to the Liverpool Daily Post, Gerrard said: "The United game is too soon. I've a decent chance for the Champions League game in Marseille but I've spoken to the manager and told him I'd like to do a certain amount of training before I come back.

"I don't want to go into a big game only having had one session with the boys."

"The decision about surgery was taken after our game against Standard Liege. I had a meeting with the club doctor on the day of the game and said the discomfort was getting to the stage where I couldn't continue.

"I'd had to double, then treble, my dose of painkillers to train and play, and I was having to take them during games. You get to the stage where you can't grind it out any longer. I told the doctor, 'I can't find my level, I can't get to 100 per cent because I'm missing training sessions and I don't feel right in games. I don't feel I can go to the max'.

"There are times when you have got to forget about England and Liverpool and get yourself right. I had a good rest in the summer and felt great when I came back. Then, as soon as I went into training, the groin started niggling."

redrus

Tevez See's Red

redissue

Carlos Tevez was sent-off whilst on international duty for Argentina.

The United striker was dismissed 30 minutes into Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay on Saturday night which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Former United defender Gabriel Heinze had gifted Paraguay a 12th minute own-goal lead before Argentinia substitute Sergio Aguero levelled to earn the hosts a 1-1 draw.

Gill Laughs Off City's Ronaldo Offer

redissue

David Gill has laughed off claims that Manchester City are ready to offer £135million for United winger Christiano Ronaldo.

City were last week taken over by a billionaire Abu Dhabi United Group and they have claimed that when the transfer window re-opens in January 2009 they would make bids for United's Ronaldo, Liverpool striker Fernando Torres and Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

"It was an interesting comment, I think it's a fan's-type comment," Gill told BBC Radio.

"It's interesting that when Sir Alex Ferguson mentioned the Dimitar Berbatov signing in advance, complaints were made to the Premier League.

"He mentioned Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas in the same article so I think we'll treat that with a pinch of salt.

"I've never met the gentleman. That's a fantastic amount of money and would turn the industry upside down so I can't believe he's serious at those sorts of levels.

"Ultimately we'd discuss any offer with Alex and the owners, as that sort of money is very large for one person. But we aren't in the market to sell our best players.

redrus

Six reasons why Liverpool will finally beat Manchester United

September 12th, 2008

Such has been their dominance over Liverpool in recent seasons that it’s got to the stage now where Manchester United roll up at Anfield expecting to win. The home side may be missing Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres but chickendinner believe they will still triumph - and Robbie Keane could silence Sir Alex Ferguson by being the match winner.

Here’s why:

1. Liverpool have won their last nine home league games and they have yet to lose at home in the league in 2008.

2. From February onwards Liverpool have comfortably been the best team in the Premier League with a record of 13 wins, four draws and one defeat from 18 games.

3. Last season Liverpool went through their first 14 games without losing in their second home game they produced their biggest league win of the season when they thumped Derby 6-0.

4. Manchester United have won just one of their four games so far this season over the course of 90 minutes.

5. Liverpool have gone eight league games without a win against Manchester United. The last such run occurred between 1996 and 2000 and on the ninth meeting Liverpool triumphed 1-0 and did the double over them that season.

6. This is one game where Liverpool will be glad they didn’t sign Gareth Barry. The Aston Villa midfielder has never participated in a league win against the Red Devils and has lost his last 14 encounters against them.

Other useful betting info

» The last five encounters between the two at Anfield have never seen more than one goal scored - with four being scored in total.

» At Tottenham, Robbie Keane didn’t score in any of his first three Premier League appearances but scored on the fourth.

» In none of the last eight clashes between the two sides have both teams got on the scoresheet.

redrus

Liverpool v Man United Premiership Preview – Reds Wait On Torres & Gerrard, Riera Eyes Debut – Berbatov Likely To Start

Submitted by Niraj Prabhu on Fri, 2008-09-12 12:19. Manchester United, Liverpool Premiership Match Previews

Liverpool will play host to defending champions Manchester United in Saturday’s high-voltage Premiership clash at Anfield.

The Merseysiders are currently equal on points with top-placed Chelsea, while United have a game in hand and are playing catch-up.

Both sides have injury problems, and respective managers are waiting to get their key players back.

Rafa Benitez is hopeful that he would have positive news as he waits on captain Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres.

England midfielder Gerrard is recovering after a double groin operation, while Spanish ace Torres had picked a hamstring problem in the game against Aston Villa.

Albert Riera is set for his league debut after moving to Anfield from Espanyol recently. The Spanish winger has previous experience of the English game from his loan spell at Manchester City.

For United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, experienced midfielders Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick are apparently in with a chance to become available, along side Ryan Giggs, but the final decision will be made at the last-minute.

Dimitar Berbatov is likely to start on debut for United after a protracted transfer saga ended on the deadline day with the Bulgarian striker joining the Old Trafford outfit from Tottenham.

The former Spurs and Bayer Leverkusen ace has been backed by many to make an instant impact for the Red Devils. However, the 27-year-old will have to be assessed after having a slight groin problem.

12/09/2008 11:13, Report by Ben Hibbs, Official Site

Stage is set for Berbatov

United are ready to unleash new signing Dimitar Berbatov at Anfield on Saturday and Ryan Giggs says the Bulgarian has all the right attributes to succeed with the Reds.

It would be a baptism of fire for the 27-year-old signed from Tottenham on a dramatic deadline day deal.

Berbatov has been training at United's Carrington headquarters all this week and Giggs, like every United fan, is eagerly anticipating the thought of seeing Berbatov pull on the shirt for the first time.

"Berbatov is a Manchester United-type player," said the Welshman. "He has that physique and stature because he is over six foot.

"He offers something a little bit different to Wayne Rooney or Carlos Tevez. For a big man he has a superb touch."

Berbatov didn't score in four appearances against Rafael Benitez's men during his two years with Spurs, but he did find the net against the Anfield club in the Champions League when he was a Bayer Leverkusen.

United-Liverpool matches are not for the feint-hearted, but Giggs says Berbatov has the character to let his ability shine in what is the biggest game of the season so far.

"He has a big personality," added Giggs. "It's the sort of personality you need to be a success at Manchester United."

Liverpool's Carragher dreads United reality check

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -It's no surprise Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson relishes facing Liverpool when its longest-serving player dreads the fixture for exposing the gulf between the sides.

When the northwest rivals meet Saturday at Anfield, defender Jamie Carragher will fear another "reality check'' that provides evidence of just how far Liverpool has fallen since dominating English football in the 1970s and 80s.

Carragher is frustrated that the Red Devils have not often had to "break sweat to beat us'' in recent years, with Liverpool winning just one of their league clashes in the last eight years.

The failure to win the English league in an Anfield career stretching back to 1997 torments Carragher, particularly with Ferguson achieving his ambition of knocking the Reds "off their perch'' since arriving at Old Trafford in 1986.

A further blow will come in May if United equals Liverpool's record 18 English titles - the last captured in 1990 - by winning the Premier League for a third straight season.

"He didn't knock Liverpool off their perch,'' Carragher said. "Liverpool fell off it. He didn't have to lift a finger against us, let alone give us a shove.

"Every wound Liverpool has suffered has been self-inflicted. Ferguson's been in the privileged position since 1991 of having to do no more than walk past us once a season and kick us while we were down.''

Liverpool will be further hampered Saturday by the absence of top-scoring striker Fernando Torres and captain Steven Gerrard, while United plans to deploy forward Dimitar Berbatov for the first time since his club-record transfer from Tottenham.

Liverpool fans will also step up their campaign to oust the club's unpopular American owners with a demonstration outside Anfield, where co-owner George Gillett Jr. is set to be in attendance for the first time this season.

Carragher revealed the depth of feeling with an outburst against Gillett and partner Tom Hicks, obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday, that was due to be made public in his autobiography just 48 hours before kickoff.

Carragher has been angered by the "two ruthless businessmen'' reneging on lavish investment plans, while being jealous of United's ability to enhance its squad.

"We've spent millions trying to punch back recently, but whatever we do they can retaliate by spending more,'' Carragher wrote in his autobiography.

The only United match that Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has won since taking charge in 2004 was in the FA Cup.

"Every time we've assembled a side that can compete, we're reminded what we're up against,'' Carragher said. "Their size, stature, reputation and consistent success mean they can attract more expensive players than us.''

redrus

Edited by redrus

Six reasons why Liverpool will finally beat Manchester United

September 12th, 2008

Nice premonition there Red :D

The ref was very poor and Liverpool bias in the first half but, after the first 30 minutes they turned it round anyway. We had no attacking bite, no momemtum.

I'd of liked a draw, Jeez, obviously a win but, in the end, they won and I don't really have a leg to stand on when arguing the toss about it.

Until this pile of Grolsch lessens anyway....! :o Such is life, 'we'll never die we'll never die'.....................

redrus

united miss ronaldo big time

I can't and won't disagree but, I think we started out all wrong.

We should not have played Rooney out of position, he or Tevez or Berbatov (I say Berbatov) should have been on the bench. 4-4-2 with Nani on the wing. He takes time to get into a game and, is not yet at a level where he can come into a Premier league game with 15 minutes to go and make a difference.

The Giggs substitution timing IMO was correct but, with my line up would have had more effect. If needed and for his debut Berba coming on after 60 to 65 mins for either Tevez or Rooney but, thats game dependant.

redrus

youre right berbatov shouldnt have started the game ,hes new and needs time to settle and get to know how the other players think

Didn't Berbatov set up the first goal?

Moss

He did Moss but, I believe the overall performance would have been 5x better had the tactics been right. That moment aside, he seemed fazed....!

redrus

Very dissapointing, only in the firts 10 or 15 minutes did United play anything like decent. After that it was all Liverpool, and they just seemed to want it more. Some of Uniteds passing was shocking, and as much as I hate to say it, the best team won. :o