Manchester United

redrus

Now I know why I like UTD.

Manchester United players are fat due to a diet of beer and burgers, claims Gerard Pique

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has revealed that Manchester United's players are fat due to a poor diet of burgers and beer and that he could not understand a word manager Sir Alex Ferguson said.

Perhaps Mr Pique can ask Barca to follow the same regime as it seems to be a winning formula.

I just wonder why my midsection doesn't in any way resemble CR's? Afterall, we are on the same diet.

have you tried repeatedly throwing yourself dramatically to the floor when nobody is anywhere near you?

Boo Hiss, I know its panto season but you don't always have to be the villain....! :D

Tevez gets a visit from his mum at the training ground.....

post-29794-1227078535_thumb.jpg :D

:o

redrus

November 22nd, 2008

Middlesbrough Skipper: Possebon Incident Doesn’t Make Me Dirty

As Rodrigo Possebon was stretched off the field taking gas, a gauge taken out of his leg just below his knee, the fear that his leg had been broken was massive. Minutes before, Middlesbrough captain, Emanuel Pogatetz came crashing in to our young midfielder, studs showing.

“That was my first sending-off since moving to Boro, which isn’t a bad record is it?” said Pogatetz. “I have been booked only once this season. I think that shows I am not a dirty player. I am physical yes. I like the physical side and it is part of football, but not dirty.”

What Pogatetz fails to mention is the fact he’s already broken one player’s leg and was banned from football for several months! He was just 22-years-old when he dished out a double leg fracture to Yaroslav Kharitonskiy, and only 25 when Possebon was on the receiving end of his studs.

He has been playing professional football for eight years and has dished out two appalling tackles in that time, both of which could be career enders, but he wouldn’t consider himself dirty…

LINK

redrus

Edited by redrus

Agreed MS.

November 22nd, 2008

United Speak To Lyon About Benzema

Karim Benzema is a player who has impressed Sir Alex Ferguson and was given the opportunity to show off his skills first hand when we played Lyon in last season’s Champions League Round of 16.

Benzema has made it clear on several occasions that he would prefer to play in Spain though, signalling any hopes for us making him our player are dead in the water.

However, his agent has revealed that Manchester United are one of the clubs that have spoken to Lyon about signing the striker.

“I know that Lyon’s directors have met with Barca, Real Madrid and Manchester United’s representatives,” said Karim Djaziri, the player’s agent. “All those three great clubs are very interested in signing him regarding next season.”

Awesome Benze....!

redrus

November 22nd, 2008

Aston Villa STILL Can’t Beat Us… And We’re Still Eight Points Behind

With Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea all dropping points earlier today, the pressure was on us ahead of our trip to Villa Park. It was a great opportunity for us to claw some points back on our rivals, with a win seeing us six points behind with a game in hand.

But it wasn’t to be…

United just didn’t show up today, in a performance that was going to see us struggle to get three points against most opposition, let alone one as organised as Aston Villa.

Rooney and Rio Booed By Ingerlernders At Aston Villa

With just minutes played, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand found themselves on the receiving end of loud boos whenever they went near the ball. Like Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Joe Cole were on the receiving end of hassle from travelling Newcastle fans earlier today, the Villa fans were letting it be known they are none too impressed about our lads pulling out of the England friendly against what appeared to be Germany’s ‘B’ team midweek.

If the Villa fans had anything about them, they’d realise their boos were totally unwarranted though…

Whilst I’d be more than happy to see our players stick their fingers up at England and tell them to do one, unfortunately, Rooney and Ferdinand are never going to be those kind of players. They love representing their country.

Both Ferdinand and Rooney missed United’s last match in the league, so it shouldn’t have come as any surprise that they were unable to play a few days after the weekend. Why should a player who isn’t fit enough to play for their club at the weekend be expected to play for their country midweek?

If the belief is that Sir Alex Ferguson was wanting to keep his players fresh and therefore put pressure on them not to play, then why is it that eleven other of our players were out on duty, travelling much further than bloody Germany! Anderson, Ronaldo and Nani all flew to Brazil for their Wednesday game, whilst Berbatov and Vidic were in Serbia and Park Ji-Sung was in Saudi Arabia!

Yet the small-time Villa fans boo every time Rio touches the ball and cheer every time Rooney gets tackled. Get a grip!

redrus

November 22nd, 2008

Our Tougher Fixtures… Compared To Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool

Sir Alex Ferguson was talking about the league fixtures handicapping us this week, looking at the difficult games we’ve been forced in to playing so early on in the season.

Of course, the other side of this is that we’ll have an easier second half of the season, but by which point, we could be some way behind the league leaders.

Whilst many will dismiss what Ferguson has been saying as whinging, there is no arguing with facts. We have an away game in the league after every midweek Champions League fixture and we have played more difficult games than any of our title competitors.

When looking at away days in the league, United have played far more of the top half of the table teams than anyone else.

Manchester United

Played 6: Chelsea (1st), Liverpool (2nd), Aston Villa (4th), Arsenal (5th), Everton (7th), Portsmouth (8th).

Yet to play: Hull (6th), Fulham (9th), Middlesbrough (10th).

Liverpool

Played 3: Chelsea (1st), Aston Villa (4th), Everton (7th)

Yet to play: United (3rd), Arsenal (5th), Hull (6th), Portsmouth (8th), Fulham (9th), Middlesbrough (10th)

Chelsea

Played 2: Hull (6th), Middlesbrough (10th)

Yet to play: Liverpool (2nd), United (3rd), Aston Villa (4th), Arsenal (5th), Everton (7th), Portsmouth (8th), Fulham (9th).

Arsenal

Played 1: Fulham (9th)

Yet to play: Chelsea (1st), Liverpool (2nd), United (3rd), Aston Villa (4th), Hull (6th), Everton (7th), Portsmouth (8th), Middlesbrough (10th).

So, we’ve got these teams out of the way and we’re 8 points behind with a game in hand. That doesn’t act as an excuse for our performances, which have been lacking on too many occasions, but it does go some way to explain our league position. When Chelsea and Liverpool play the tough games we have, then we should start to see a truer league table.

We’re not out of the woods though and can’t rely on the second half of the season to boost our league placing. We need to pick up all the points we can now to enable to fight back in the second half of the season when the pressure of the most difficult games will have been lifted, whilst our title rivals all have to make the journey to Old Trafford.

redrus

Rooney and Rio Booed By Ingerlernders At Aston Villa

With just minutes played, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand found themselves on the receiving end of loud boos whenever they went near the ball. Like Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Joe Cole were on the receiving end of hassle from travelling Newcastle fans earlier today, the Villa fans were letting it be known they are none too impressed about our lads pulling out of the England friendly against what appeared to be Germany's 'B' team midweek.

If the Villa fans had anything about them, they'd realise their boos were totally unwarranted though…

Whilst I'd be more than happy to see our players stick their fingers up at England and tell them to do one, unfortunately, Rooney and Ferdinand are never going to be those kind of players. They love representing their country.

Both Ferdinand and Rooney missed United's last match in the league, so it shouldn't have come as any surprise that they were unable to play a few days after the weekend. Why should a player who isn't fit enough to play for their club at the weekend be expected to play for their country midweek?

If the belief is that Sir Alex Ferguson was wanting to keep his players fresh and therefore put pressure on them not to play, then why is it that eleven other of our players were out on duty, travelling much further than bloody Germany! Anderson, Ronaldo and Nani all flew to Brazil for their Wednesday game, whilst Berbatov and Vidic were in Serbia and Park Ji-Sung was in Saudi Arabia!

Yet the small-time Villa fans boo every time Rio touches the ball and cheer every time Rooney gets tackled. Get a grip!

redrus

given that the author contradicts himself a little in the penultimate paragraph, is it not possible that rooney and ferdinand were being booed because they're a pair of complete c*nts? :o

given that the author contradicts himself a little in the penultimate paragraph, is it not possible that rooney and ferdinand were being booed because they're a pair of complete c*nts? :D

No........... :o

redrus

Glazers say ‘United are unaffected’ – would you credit it?

October 2008-LUHG

So much is wrong with the Glazer spokesman’s assertion that the club is untouched by the current crisis in financial markets, that it’s hard to know where to start.

Perhaps the saddest aspect is that a once debt free club, only burdened by £760m of debt to satisfy a billionaire’s greed, has to pass comment on the situation at all.

However, given that they do, the spin and plain lies are once again evident.

Firstly, the club was unable, over a year ago, to obtain the terms it required for the desired second refinancing to go ahead. Even before the term ‘credit crunch’ had been coined, the club was being adversely affected.

More recently, the club sponsor, AIG, has had to be nationalised to save its existence.

The supposedly blue chip company was the first major insurer to be found out by its risky forays into sub prime insurance, and is now effectively owned by the USA government.

The sponsorship deal is relatively small fodder compared to even its new net worth, but it is hard to envisage state approval for a renewal of the current deal when it runs out. The American public and government reaction to giving a UK based football team another $100m, having had to bail them out to the tune of $80 billion, would be interesting at least.

Bland assumptions that ‘someone else will come in and pay more’ seem to ignore the fact that worldwide business is likely to be cutting costs for some time to come.

Not enough to count as ‘affected’?

Well maybe the next couple of transfer windows will tell us more.

Recent transfers have been funded by player sales and adding to the debt. More than half of the payment for Berbatov was paid by sales over the summer, with the total fee only likely to reach the £30m quoted if United remain spectacularly successful over the next 3 years.

United will still be paying for Hargreaves, Nani, and Anderson till 2010, and while spreading the cost of players is commonplace, the scale of deferred obligations at United has reached epic proportions.

When you factor in that a major stakeholder in the hedge funds used by Glazer to borrow from is our old friend AIG, the ability to borrow even more to add future signings to the debt mountain must be severely doubted.

So, how can Glazer rake in more money to service the debt, perhaps replace sponsor money shortfall, and keep the team competitive?

Well, no doubt his first instinct will be to ramp up ticket prices again, but given that season tickets have struggled to sell out, that all home games so far this season have gone on open sale, and that football fans, like everyone else, are struggling financially, that too seems a closed door.

Someone once said that the Glazer plan was potentially ‘damaging’.

Just how right he was, and how ‘unaffected’ United remain, only time will tell

redrus

November 24th, 2008

Liverpool Striker: No One Can Rival Ronaldo

Fernando Torres has today sung the praises of Cristiano Ronaldo, claimining our winger is ‘incomparable’ to any player he’s ever seen.

Torres scored an impressive 33 goals last season, yet Liverpool still failed to win anything. As a striker, he was still 9 goals short of Ronaldo, who played as a winger for the majority of the season, and recognises the class of our player.

“No-one can rival him,” said Torres. “He is in a class of his own. I have never seen a comparable player. What he did last season is incredible. No-one won this year what he’s won: Champions League, Premier League and Golden Boot. For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable.”

November 24th, 2008

Evra: I Wish Rossi The Best But Not Against Us

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed this week that the clause to buy back Giuseppe Rossi is still in place, meaning we could take our former striker back from Villarreal.

Ahead of tomorrow’s Champions League match, Evra has spoken about Rossi.

“If you give him time and space in the box, he’ll score every time,” said Evra. “He’s a great player and a good professional and I’m not surprised by how well he’s done. I wished him all the best when he left the club, but not against us!”

Evra explains why Rossi might have been sold, suggesting competition for places makes life hard at United.

“It’s not easy at United,” reasons Evra. “When I came here I had to compete with Gaby Heinze and Mikael Silvestre – we had three left-backs for one spot. When you look at the strikers now – you have Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, who can play there, as can Giggs. So even though Giuseppe is a great player, to play at United is very difficult particularly when you are a striker. Sometimes I joke with the lads and say ‘thank god I am a defender!’ It was easy to see what a good player Giuseppe was when he was here and he has gone on to prove that at Villarreal.”

November 24th, 2008

Fergie Cancelled Sinatra Meeting After Charlton Defeat

Frank Sinatra’s ‘My Way’ sums up the attitude of our manager fairly well. If we were too polite, we’d call him headstrong, whilst he might also be called him bloody-minded and stubborn to the core.

I’ll say it clear. I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain. I’ve lived a life that’s full, I travelled each and every highway. And more, much more than this, I did it my way. Regrets, I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway. And more, much more than this, I did it my way. Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew when I bit off more than I could chew, but through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way. I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried, I’ve had my fill, my share of losing. And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing. To think I did all that and may I say, not in a shy way, oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way. For what is a man, what has he got? If not himself, then he has naught. To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels. The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

Ferguson has today revealed that he once had the opportunity to meet Sinatra, but a bad day at the office for United put him in a mood where he wasn’t fit for company!

“Well, you can’t beat Sinatra, can you? Ole’ Blue Eyes,” Ferguson said, when asked about his music tastes. “I was actually supposed to have dinner one night with him and we lost to Charlton, and I cancelled him at home. I wasn’t in the mood to meet anybody that night, so it was back in the bus.”

All from TheRepublic

redrus

*spelling/bold

Edited by redrus

Not a bad game last night considering each team played to draw essentially.

However, I am getting very tired of Nani, who reminds me of park (no scoring ability) without the effort, stamina and skill. I think he will be gone in Jan - if not next summer.

[/i]

That's why playing at home is an advantage. The fans should act as a 12th man and give the opposition as much stick as is verbally possible :D

Fair enough, I forget what home support is sometimes....! Until I watch FCUM that is and then I realise.... :o

redrus

Gents, i'd be intrigued to hear your views on this & your Managers comments along with Rooney basically admitting by apologising, that he cheated, sorry he " didn't mean it " ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7749331.stm

Sir Alex Ferguson says Wayne Rooney apologised to him and opponents Villarreal for diving in Manchester United's 0-0 Champions League draw.

The Spanish team's players were angry after the striker went down in the box, despite no contact with the defender.

"He apologised to me and said he didn't mean to do that," said boss Ferguson.

"I think he's been watching (Villarreal forward) Robert Pires too much. At least he apologised to their players. You'd never see Pires do that." Ferguson also said he believes that teams are fouling United's Cristiano Ronaldo so often referees think the winger is diving.

At least he was man enough to admit it. Next.

My opinion is that i feel sorry for Rooney, i personally love him..

I'm under the impression that Rooney is one of the most honest Footballers in the world however he is subjected to it ( cheating ) on such a regular basis, i hope that now he doesn't feel the need to do it himself all the time...

I'm under the impression that Rooney is one of the most honest Footballers in the world however he is subjected to it ( cheating ) on such a regular basis, i hope that now he doesn't feel the need to do it himself all the time...

I suppose when you play and train with the biggest cheat in world football (Ronaldo) its just rub off on the other players! :D

I suppose when you play and train with the biggest cheat in world football (Ronaldo) its just rub off on the other players! :D

I'll set em up Seapok, & you knock em down Brother... :D

nice to see such good company on this distinguished forum, as for rubbing off, yea, I don't mind if wayner is able to rub off about 20 goals from CR this year.

Get out all of you...., I'm taking my ball home and none of you are coming home for ye tea's....! :D

redrus

That's right RR, You Tell 'em ! We don't need a load of the Blues tainting us Red Blooded Chaps ...... :o

PS.We can continue this conversation on Sunday night if you like BJ.. :D

nice to see such good company on this distinguished forum, as for rubbing off, yea, I don't mind if wayner is able to rub off about 20 goals from CR this year.

Wayner??? did you see that nickname on some Canadian soccer forum? hahaha

Wayner??? did you see that nickname on some Canadian soccer forum? hahaha

I think you better worry more about CLuzers than what I call Rooney.

:D

:D Drogba and Terry still play for Chelsea the last time I looked :o

Last weekend, I watched Aston Villa v United three times! The first one was from the early 2000s, the next was last weekend's live match and the third one was the 57 Cup Final!

GFP....?

redrus

FootyMAD's Manchester City match preview

By Footymad

Saturday, 29th November 2008

The game between Manchester City and Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday, 30th November 2008 at 13:30 takes centre stage for FootyMad's preview analysis.

Footymad preview

History of the Manchester City v Manchester United fixture

Man. Utd. face a trip to Manchester City at City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday afternoon,

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in August 2007, the Sky Blues carving out a narrow 1 - 0 victory in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:

2007/2008 Sun 10 Feb Man. Utd. 1 - 2 Man. City PREM

2007/2008 Sun 19 Aug Man. City 1 - 0 Man. Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Sat 05 May Man. City 0 - 1 Man. Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Sat 09 Dec Man. Utd. 3 - 1 Man. City PREM

2005/2006 Sat 14 Jan Man. City 3 - 1 Man. Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sat 10 Sep Man. Utd. 1 - 1 Man. City PREM

2004/2005 Sun 13 Feb Man. City 0 - 2 Man. Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

Manchester City are showing reasonable home form, having won four and lost two from the last six played. A total of 14 goals have been scored by the Sky Blues in those games, with 8 conceded.

Man. Utd. have an average recent record on the road, losing only 1 of the last six, but drawing 4 of them. The Red Devils's have a narrow positive goal difference over these games, with 5 goals for and 4 against.

Man. City see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 17 points from their 14 games played so far, Man. Utd. sit in a healthy 3rd in the league, and have picked up 25 points from their 13 games.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Man. City 6 3 1 2 11 8 10

Man. Utd. 6 2 3 1 8 3 9

FootyMad's prediction ...

With Man. Utd. only showing average form on the road, Footymad are of the opinion a draw at City of Manchester Stadium will be a good result. No-score draw

Sequence statistics:

Man. City 16 games since last home draw.

Unbeaten run of 3 matches.

Man. Utd. Previous 2 away games have finished all-square.

Not won in previous 5 away matches.

Drawn each of the last 2 games.

No win in the 2 most recent games.

redrus