Carl'S Jr. Opens In Central

LALes

I often wonder how A&W and KFC can afford the rental in the prime locations at Central. they never look busy (too many other choices) and the quality at any A&W in Thailand is substandard (they should have their franchise licence provoked). So does the "corporation" of Central also own these franchises which entitles them to prime locations?

Central Plaza Hotel has theThai master fanchise for KFC, Pizza Hut, Mister Donut, Baskin Robins, Auntie Anne's pretzels and Segafredo.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Carl's Jr today and I liked it, had a no7 com bi to 250 bath, good burger and fries okay too and not too much mayonnaise and ketchup, sat out on the terrasse with very good views, 3-4 tables occupied out there at app 1730.

Got the impression that 2-3 of the female staff was Amerikaans for very likely training the Thai staff, hope they keep some of them.

I will go again when I fell for a burger and are in the area.

• Like 1

I've never had/eaten a 'chili burger' and considering that it's name contains the word,'chili', I doubt that I'll be partaking in the near future.

But I do find the ,Hardee's fist-girl' vid clip...appealing. wink.png

Edited by metisdead
: Font!

Comparing quality of beef in a plastic burger. How does that work? I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between Thai or Imported ground beef. Especially after additives are included.

Another average American Burger chain. And no one other than American even eat Chilli Burgers. They sound disgusting.

In and Out are the best American burgers I've tried. I also don't mind the occasional Burger King.

At the end of the day it's all about choice. And that's one thing America has given the world of cuisine....good on em.

We eat chili on both hotdogs and hamburgers... To an American this is very tasty. You can stick with the Vegemite if that is what you prefer.

Fair point. I've enjoyed a lot of Chilli dogs and other than the mess, loved em. But chili burgers and chili fries don't rattle my tree. And we're talking about burgers not Vegemite. Wait until a jelly and peanut butter sandwich topic comes up.

I often wonder how A&W and KFC can afford the rental in the prime locations at Central. they never look busy (too many other choices) and the quality at any A&W in Thailand is substandard (they should have their franchise licence provoked). So does the "corporation" of Central also own these franchises which entitles them to prime locations?

Central Plaza Hotel has theThai master fanchise for KFC, Pizza Hut, Mister Donut, Baskin Robins, Auntie Anne's pretzels and Segafredo.

I don't think so. Central group family do own a lot of outlets and franchises - Tops, Big C, HomePro, Super Sports, B2B bookstores, Centara Hotels, SALA resorts and more. I maybe wrong but I think the franchises you mentioned are owned by the same family who own 7/11 franchise.

As a point of interest most others are owned by Bill Heincke from Minor group; Garden Plaza, Pizza Company, Burger King, Swensons, Sizzler, Giordano, Tumi, Marriot, Four Seasons, Anantara.

Bills an American whos lived in Thailand for more than 35 years. He began his empire cleaning office windows and was a Pattaya tourism Pioneer, he ran a small resort where Marriot stands today. The other interesting thing is that he actually owns all his hotels. He used to have Pizza Hut franchise. But after they screwed him he started Pizza Company on his own. Now has over 600 shops. A bit of a tyrant, but can't take away his success.

He used to have Pizza Hut franchise. But after they screwed him he started Pizza Company on his own.

I'm pretty sure that is was the other way around on the screwing part - but I do not really mind. tongue.png

Maybe your right, but the real question is, who came out on top? As far as SE Asia is concerned Pizza Co has slammed Pizza Hut. But please don't get me wrong. I don't like these type of pizzas. Give me classic Italian style any day. It's time for a burger.

Maybe BK burgers are tasteless here because they cook them in the microwave, dont know why but in central every time I have bought a burger they put in the microwave, ping, take it out, walk back behind the slider where the burgers slide down and slide it down like its just come off the grill. Only reason I get BK here is when I am about to go drink and want something on my stomach and prefer it to McDs. Will give this place a go on monday.

Just had burgers in Carl's Jr with my family. Excellent burgers, meat tasted like real meat, like we remember burgers taste in US and EU. Fresh and plenty salad in the burgers. Good size for he price. Free soft drink refills and dip. Will definitely be back when we crave burgers again.

I don't know where else you

can get a chili burger in Thailand

There are a few places around town. The best one I have found is at Buddy's Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 22, but I usually opt for the Chili Dog. I had one for dinner last night, and it was fantastic!

Went there yesterday, wasn't planning to but was just passing and noticed the joint.

I had the standard burger for bt139 and thought it was tremendous...yes, better than Mac's/BK for sure.

I will defo go back and want to try this western bacon burger jobby and their milkshakes too...being from the UK this was my first experience of Carl JR's and will admit that I had never even heard of the place before..

Does anyone know if they are going to do home delivery?

There are a few places around town. The best one I have found is at Buddy's Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 22, but I usually opt for the Chili Dog. I had one for dinner last night, and it was fantastic!

I guess you're referring to Bangkok? This is the Pattaya forum.

Has anyone confirmed whether their charbroiled items are REALLY charbroiled on site or (as rather cynically expected) not?

Do you ever give it a rest? It's a burger <deleted>.

So I guess you don't know.

I really don't care, Jin.It tasted good to me.

Btw, have you ever tried the Spanish restaurant on Theprassit?

Has anyone confirmed whether their charbroiled items are REALLY charbroiled on site or (as rather cynically expected) not?

Do you ever give it a rest? It's a burger <deleted>.

So I guess you don't know.

I really don't care, Jin.It tasted good to me.

It's not as if I'm asking for a personal introduction to the cow where the burger was sourced. They advertise charbroiled. Do they even have a charbroiler on the premises? I think a very reasonable query.

So CJ is supposedly a step up from McD/BK? That's interesting. Maybe I will try it. Still wondering about how their beef in Thailand compares to the home regions.

Carl's Jr. is the best fast food burger you can get in California after an In' N' Out Burger. They've adopted the same skin on fries cut from whole potatoes as IaO and that's much tastier. Sounds like prices are about the same as in CA.

So CJ is supposedly a step up from McD/BK? That's interesting. Maybe I will try it. Still wondering about how their beef in Thailand compares to the home regions.

Carl's Jr. is the best fast food burger you can get in California after an In' N' Out Burger. They've adopted the same skin on fries cut from whole potatoes as IaO and that's much tastier. Sounds like prices are about the same as in CA.

I agree. Best in California and as far as I am concerned on par with In N Out. Weather it is charbroiled or not here in Pattaya dosen't matter as seems so far that it is well received. It is after all a fast food burger and glad to see them here.

I've had chili on a burger or dog about two times in my life. coffee1.gif In theory I like chili but I haven't lived in a chili culture region like Texas so the stuff you get as chili in "mainstream" America is just too lame and tame for my tastes.

The burgers on the Thai CJ menu labeled charbroiled, do you reckon they are REALLY charbroiled or just another marketing ploy?

In the US they are actually charbroiled... as to how they are doing it here is anyone's guess.

As a comparison, in the US Burger King claims charbroiled and they are at the factory, then frozen and in the restaurant they are microwaved back to life. They have the lines as if they are charbroiled an in reality they were at one point but not right before you eat it.

Carl's actually does charbroil them inside the restaurant in the US.

I worked at a BK many years ago and I can tell you for certain that the burgers were pre-pattied frozen from the factory but not pre-cooked. The char broiler had a chain conveyor system that ran the burger patties between a top flame and a bottom flame. The whole process takes about 4 minutes. After the burgers pass through the char broiler they are placed in a steamer to keep them warm and moist. If memory serves, the only time we microwaved a burger was after putting it on the bun and putting the cheese on it in order to warm it up before the toppings were put on.

Edited by Javabear

I've had chili on a burger or dog about two times in my life. coffee1.gif In theory I like chili but I haven't lived in a chili culture region like Texas so the stuff you get as chili in "mainstream" America is just too lame and tame for my tastes.

The burgers on the Thai CJ menu labeled charbroiled, do you reckon they are REALLY charbroiled or just another marketing ploy?

In the US they are actually charbroiled... as to how they are doing it here is anyone's guess.

As a comparison, in the US Burger King claims charbroiled and they are at the factory, then frozen and in the restaurant they are microwaved back to life. They have the lines as if they are charbroiled an in reality they were at one point but not right before you eat it.

I worked at a BK many years ago and I can tell you for certain that the burgers were pre-pattied frozen from the factory but not pre-cooked. The char broiler had a chain conveyor system that ran the burger patties between a top flame and a bottom flame. The whole process takes about 4 minutes. After the burgers pass through the char broiler they are placed in a steamer to keep them warm and moist. If memory serves, the only time we microwaved a burger was after putting it on the bun and putting the cheese on it in order to warm it up before the toppings were put on.

I never worked there so I won't argue on this with you. I do see them always put my burner in a microwave before sealing the box and giving it to me and IMHO the BK burgers are garbage.

I did make it to Carl's this weekend and was very happy that the Western Bacon Cheeseburger tastes just as I remember it. I had no complaints on it at all. I will definetely be going back when the urge arises.

A few point worth mentioning that set this place apart from the rest:

1) self serve unlimited beverages. This is the defacto standard back in the US but I have never seen it done here. It is truly appreciated by someone like me that wants to drink a lot of beverage and doesn't mind getting up to refill my small cup several times.

2) actual napkin dispensers on each table with full sized,multi-ply proper, paper napkins. I can't tell you what a treat this was after being in Thailand so long and using those 1/4 sized one ply pink tissues. And that you don't even have to ask for them or pressure them to give you more than 1 cause the dispenser is on the table and you can use as many as you need. WOW.. am I still in Thailand wink.png

3) it's true that the french fires are proper with the skins still on them and come in several varieties.

4) The Milk shakes are made form actual ice cream and not some non daily mixture that is poured into a dispenser

All in all, it was just as I'd hoped for and a welcome change to the normal crap fast food burgers typically found around town.

• Like 1

I never worked there so I won't argue on this with you. I do see them always put my burner in a microwave before sealing the box and giving it to me and IMHO the BK burgers are garbage.

I did make it to Carl's this weekend and was very happy that the Western Bacon Cheeseburger tastes just as I remember it. I had no complaints on it at all. I will definetely be going back when the urge arises.

A few point worth mentioning that set this place apart from the rest:

1) self serve unlimited beverages. This is the defacto standard back in the US but I have never seen it done here. It is truly appreciated by someone like me that wants to drink a lot of beverage and doesn't mind getting up to refill my small cup several times.

2) actual napkin dispensers on each table with full sized,multi-ply proper, paper napkins. I can't tell you what a treat this was after being in Thailand so long and using those 1/4 sized one ply pink tissues. And that you don't even have to ask for them or pressure them to give you more than 1 cause the dispenser is on the table and you can use as many as you need. WOW.. am I still in Thailand wink.png

3) it's true that the french fires are proper with the skins still on them and come in several varieties.

4) The Milk shakes are made form actual ice cream and not some non daily mixture that is poured into a dispenser

All in all, it was just as I'd hoped for and a welcome change to the normal crap fast food burgers typically found around town.

Wow, sounds excellent!! Where in Central are they?

I may just have to make a trip to Pattaya before they open up here in Bangkok!

Edited by arkom

I just hope that level of service lasts. Too often the foreign chains come here and replicate the level of service back in their home countries only to abandon it due to cost constraints or profit grabbing.

Paris Hilton doing Carl's Jr. ads......Carl Karcher must be turning over in his grave. This guy was the biggest,

right-wing, super patriot in America. He used to have his staff recite the Pledge Of Allegiance every morning.

Came from that bastion of conservative America-Orange County, California.

Makes a dam_n good burger, tho. Had another bout with the chili cheeseburger yesterday. Just as good as the

first one.

But did you ask if the cow had eaten grass 1 hour and 15 minutes before it was slaughtered? If not I wont be giving this shop an ounce of respect and I will not be paying it a visit and I will continue to post things on here to try and make it sound bad even though I have never been.