Clarity

smokie36

I wish to ask admin if you would mind making a more definitive comment upon the following rule.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

In particular I wish to know if profane words are accepted if they have letters swapped around, in thinly disguised manner.

Also when words are altered by the filter, are they still considered to be profane according to the above rule?

Regarding the manner in which they are used, can some guidance here also be given?

As I understand it swearing at another member is going to be out for obvious reasons however using occasional profanity in a humorous manner, is this acceptable?

Hopefully you will be able to clear up these points in order to avoid any future confusion for members.

Thanks. wai.gif

Edited by smokie36

Just to give more clarity to what I am saying regarding the filter.

I was under the impression that it being set to alter such words rather than remove them was giving tacit approval for their use.

If this is not the case then why not simply set the filter to delete them altogether?

I have difficulty understanding what your problem is. Why would you want to use profane words in your posts, either in plain language or thinly disguised? What pleasure do you derive from it?

<sigh> Kindly leave this simple question to be answered by admin. Thanks.

The software will alter or delete certain profanities that make search engines cringe, and moderators will take action against profanities however they are presented. Puccini's question basically mirrors our attitude towards profanity, hence the rule. Overt or not, posting in a profane manner is not allowed. Yes, it sometimes slips past us, but misspelling will not save you.

We're all adults here so there's really no need for it.

Thanks for your comment cdnvic. I understand your approach. However I am hoping for a definitive answer to the questions I posed.

Particularly regarding the filter. Some of us are clearly confused by this and would appreciate a firm answer from admin regarding the issue.

We're all adults here so there's really no need for it.

I hope this makes my point crystal clear for everyone.

http://www.thaivisa....__ george fuc_k

As cdnvic has said yes we are all adults, all of us , and sometimes in life we do use profanity. Its a fact. as my example was intended to portray.

The question is how we deal with the subtleties of this on the forum?

Admin?

I think the main point is that common sense prevails and if you're using profanity in a matter of fact way, e.g. quoting someone (he told me to "#### ###") it would probably be OK.

Also, as demonstrated by George starting the thread that you linked to earlier, if it's clearly just for a laugh and completely light hearted, then it seems that it's also accepable. If it's used aggressively or in a vulgar way, it would probably be censored by the mods or the post deleted entirely.

That's my interpretation of the rules anyway.

• Like 1

I think the main point is that common sense prevails and if you're using profanity in a matter of fact way, e.g. quoting someone (he told me to "#### ###") it would probably be OK.

Also, as demonstrated by George starting the thread that you linked to earlier, if it's clearly just for a laugh and completely light hearted, then it seems that it's also accepable. If it's used aggressively or in a vulgar way, it would probably be censored by the mods or the post deleted entirely.

That's my interpretation of the rules anyway.

It was mine too Dan but I experienced a different interpretation of this recently. Hence me asking for clarity from admin as to what is and is not acceptable, to prevent similar occurrences in future for members.

I'm against profanity in the open forums....we have plenty of comical alternatives such as &lt;deleted&gt;! &lt;deleted&gt;! Effin, foxing etc etc. So even the defaulting of the f word annoys me, it's too thinly disguised.

We members can get carried away with ourselves and forget how we look to the outside world. There are times I read the forums without signing in and I can wince at what I read.

The thing is though a lot of us know the style of each other, the sense of humour blah blah, the general public must look on amazed at times though. Equally at times they must be astounded at what they learn on TV.

At the risk of the mods slapping me, I reckon the farang pub should be private to members only. Just like any pub things should be more relaxed, with good landlords keeping the excesses in check.

I'm on several football related forums, and there is always a restriction on what u can view without being a member. People are nosey, and it encourages people to sign up.

So I'm suggesting make the farang pub private, let the members get a bit more leeway, and keep an eye on the figures to see if there is an upturn in new members being nosey to see what's going on in the pub.

Just a wee experiment, that's all.

I'll get my coat

• Like 2

Well, from a personal perspective i agree regarding profanity on most of the subforums. The questions really are aimed at General, Pub and the more private areas of the forum.

You raise an interesting point which has some validity I think.

Anyway getting back on topic, Its not my opinion that counts, but that of admin regarding the issues raised relating to consistency in dealing with the issue of profanity in the forums as they are.

Hopefully they will get back to us soon.

Thanks to george and Mossfinn for your replies.

Its a good point to note the nature in which profanity can slip on to the forum at times.

As george has pointed out, no profanity is permitted on the forum, whatever form it is portrayed.

This leads to the issue of what is considered fair and appropriate sanction, be it a first offence or a poster consistently ignoring this rule despite being previously reminded.

In my view the two examples are different and should be treated as such.

Finally from a personal point of view i can appreciate some may feel i should have let this issue go however I simply feel members should be treated fairly, and with some measure of mutual respect offered from both parties

In my view the two examples are different and should be treated as such.

Finally from a personal point of view i can appreciate some may feel i should have let this issue go however I simply feel members should be treated fairly, and with some measure of mutual respect offered from both parties

Smokie,

Give me a brief and honest overview of the situation ( by pm, not on the open forum ) and I will give you an honest appraisal of what's resulted, ( by pm of course ) just to see if you should let it go, which you probably should as there is nothing you can do further anyway.

You have asked for clarification, and you have received a response, it is a moot point whether it gives you full and clear guide, it just states there can be no profanity, so there is the answer.

I am more interested in the sanction, so just for my own interest, if you want, let me have an insight.

Moss

Interesting to hear your ipinions and experience via PM Mossfinn.

Thanks for that.

I'll end this conversation by touching on the issue of warning points.

It was said to me that such a point does not affect anything.

However we are all aware that ten such points accrued constitutes a ban from the forum.

To be handing such points out in arbitrary fashion for an infraction which was in context of the lowest possible offence to anyone, given the humorous intent, is simply going to trigger an emotional response for the recipient, engender mistrust and lead to less respect in general.

However we are all aware that ten such points accrued constitutes a ban from the forum.

I would be interested to know where you got this "information" from as I am not aware of this.

You seem to be better informed that I am.wai.gif

I would be interested to know where you got this "information" from as I am not aware of this.

You seem to be better informed that I am.wai.gif

From the Warning Points thread on here recently started by theblether I believe. Post by a member there states it clearly.

Don't have access to my laptop or I would quote it directly.

While talking about acceptable posts, interesting to note the OP's occasional use of the word 'yid' on the board. rolleyes.gif

http://www.tfd.com/yid

eg

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4008371

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5027698

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4591304

In the first link above, smokie36 replied to a post by another member calling him Y*d.

In the other two linked posts, isn't it himself that smokie36 refers to as to as yid? There would be nothing wrong with that, I guess, if he he is Jewish.

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 1

Interesting to hear your ipinions and experience via PM Mossfinn.

Thanks for that.

I'll end this conversation by touching on the issue of warning points.

It was said to me that such a point does not affect anything.

To be handing such points out in arbitrary fashion for an infraction which was in context of the lowest possible offence to anyone, given the humorous intent, is simply going to trigger an emotional response for the recipient, engender mistrust and lead to less respect in general.

May I ask if the reason for this thread is that you ,or someone you are in close contact with,has received a warning which you not agree with?