Bank Savings Interest Rates

I've just seen on the bangkok bank website, ministry of finance saving bonds. .. 3% pa, interest paid twice yearly 3 year term. Available until 29th February.

I know I'm late to the party, they've been available since last October, but it's the first time I've noticed them.

Any comments anyone ??

Sent by carrier pigeon

Only available to Thai nationals and those with permanent residency.

Don't know whether the subscription amount will have been filled by now. My guess is, that it has.

A real pain if you have to sell before maturity. Have to find someone willing to buy who banks with the same bank.

I'm not convinced about that ... they verbally offered them to me. But I got a much better Bond Rate from CIMB (4.9% up to July 2021). I have Bangkok Bank Bonds, no problem getting. You looked here? http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/InvestmentsAndDeposits/Bonds/Pages/Bond2559.aspx

Maybe worth an inquiry at your local BB.

gdaya folks,

im using land and housing bank, www.lhbank.co.th, pattaya klang big c .

step up 15 months 1.95 %, savings special 1.75, 12 months fixed 2.25 %.

That 12-month rate is above average and I may go with that when one of my CIMB deposits matures this month.

Islam Bank 12 months fixed are offering 2.3%

I've just seen on the bangkok bank website, ministry of finance saving bonds. .. 3% pa, interest paid twice yearly 3 year term. Available until 29th February.

I know I'm late to the party, they've been available since last October, but it's the first time I've noticed them.

Any comments anyone ??

Sent by carrier pigeon

Don't know whether the subscription amount will have been filled by now. My guess is, that it has.

A real pain if you have to sell before maturity. Have to find someone willing to buy who banks with the same bank.

I'm not convinced about that ... they verbally offered them to me. But I got a much better Bond Rate from CIMB (4.9% up to July 2021). I have Bangkok Bank Bonds, no problem getting. You looked here? http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/InvestmentsAndDeposits/Bonds/Pages/Bond2559.aspx

May I know how much above par you paid for those bonds?

Anyway I would be very wary of a bank that pays that kind of interest in the current 0% interest climate.

Any comments anyone ??

Sent by carrier pigeon

Anyway I would be very wary of a bank that pays that kind of interest in the current 0% interest climate.

New issue, six year term, BBB+ if my memory is correct...now that I check it was July last year.

Any comments anyone ??

Sent by carrier pigeon

EDIT

Edited by chiang mai

Yes, that's almost certainly an insurance based product.

Yes you are correct and it was not even a 5 year plan but an 11 year plan where you contribute 1 million in the first 5 years. Should you decide to stop the plan you lose big time. It goes on a sliding scale from 50% loss to zero depending on how many years you keep it. Yes if you decide in the first couple of years it is not for you and you ask for your money back they will give you around 50% Even in year 10 they just about give you the full amount and give no interest at all. Not a plan for the faint hearted.

Does anyone know if there are any CIMB or TMB bank branches in Pattaya? I can only find ATM or exchange places.

Thanks

Den

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there are any CIMB or TMB bank branches in Pattaya? I can only find ATM or exchange places.

There are dozens of TMB branches in Pattaya. At least one on every main street in fact. Where are you nearest to?

There used to be several CIMB branches but now there is only one: midway between the BigC car-park entrance on 3rd Road and TOT.

There are dozens of TMB branches in Pattaya. At least one on every main street in fact. Where are you nearest to?

There used to be several CIMB branches but now there is only one: midway between the BigC car-park entrance on 3rd Road and TOT.

Dozens of TMB branches????

You must be stumbling back and fore outside the single branch located at

Branch Code 351
Address 325/67-70 Moo 10 Nongpru Sub-district,Bang Lamung District,Chon Buri Province 20150
Tel 038-429-501, 038-429-502
Fax 038-421-005
Open Mon-Fri 9.30AM-4.30PM
And shown here on a nice map.

At first glance I can see four branches on the link you provided.

Hmm, OK, I was using the search feature which only pulls in one branch for Pattaya.

I missed "Pattaya Klang" and the other two which appear on the map.

So I guess the poster was stumbling around four branches to get to the "dozens of branches" wai2.gif

Hmm, OK, I was using the search feature which only pulls in one branch for Pattaya.

So I guess the poster was stumbling around four branches to get to the "dozens of branches" wai2.gif

A Google search shows a map that does indeed have dozens of branches on it, perhaps the TMB website is out of date, or, maybe they don't actually know - I favour the latter.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=TMB+in+pattaya&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PTCeVvfkNIzIuAS44a6QAg#q=TMB%20in%20pattaya&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:3&oll=12.891126799358641,100.97384435000004&ospn=0.9129694167435165,1.6204833984375&oz=13&fll=12.925595389217335,100.91616612734379&fspn=0.05705329159795802,0.10128021240234375&fz=14&qop=1&rlfi=hd:;si:

A Google search shows a map that does indeed have dozens of branches on it, perhaps the TMB website is out of date, or, maybe they don't actually know - I favour the latter.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=TMB+in+pattaya&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PTCeVvfkNIzIuAS44a6QAg#q=TMB%20in%20pattaya&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:3&oll=12.891126799358641,100.97384435000004&ospn=0.9129694167435165,1.6204833984375&oz=13&fll=12.925595389217335,100.91616612734379&fspn=0.05705329159795802,0.10128021240234375&fz=14&qop=1&rlfi=hd:;si:

Hi, we're wandering a little off topic, which I generally try to avoid.

Most of those are ATM's, as, indeed denby45 stated, " I can only find ATM or exchange places."

I would guess that the TMB branch listing is accurate. Contrary to a lot of negativity about Thais on TV, I do try to be objective and things have improved a whole lot over the last decade. Some people are still basing opinions on how Thailand was twenty years ago.

Clicking on the "ATM" selection on the tmb link a sprinkling of about twenty odd ATM's is shown around Pattaya.

Hi, we're wandering a little off topic, which I generally try to avoid.

Most of those are ATM's, as, indeed denby45 stated, " I can only find ATM or exchange places."

I would guess that the TMB branch listing is accurate. Contrary to a lot of negativity about Thais on TV, I do try to be objective and things have improved a whole lot over the last decade. Some people are still basing opinions on how Thailand was twenty years ago.

Clicking on the "ATM" selection on the tmb link a sprinkling of about twenty odd ATM's is shown around Pattaya.

Thanks guys I actually found 2 TMB's whils out last night. One on Pattaya Klang which is nearest to me and then another on the 2nd. road end of soi 13/4. I will check today the CIMB on third road.

Den

Well I have to report mixed responses from the three banks I tried to open account with.

1. LH Bank 2.25% 12 months

at first they refused because I didn't have a Thai driving license. They then relented and asked me proof of residency. I went and got my original chanote and also the Juristic person at the condo complex gave me a stamped and signed letter. Again That was refused and they asked me proof from the UK embassy. After contacting the embassy they told me it would be better to get a letter from the immigration. Managed to get the said letter and that was finally accepted. What a chew on.

2. GSB Government Savings Bank 2.25% 36 months.

They asked my work permit. I told them I was retired. The lady disappeared and brought back a paper which stipulated the requirement. Which was Passport and proof of residence. I showed her the chanote the letter from Immigration and the Juristic. She disappears and comes back and tells me I have to show Tabien Baan. OK I got one of those (blue book) which I got with the package when I bought my condo. She disappears again and when she comes back it was "Can Not" Your name not in book. You have to put name in book. I tried to explain that proof of residence is obvious as my name appears on the back of my Chanote. "Can Not" I gave up.

3. CIMB

Exactly the same as above and again I gave up.

Now I know that I cannot get my name in the blue book as it is for Thai only. I do know there is a yellow book for farang but I have no idea where to get that done.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Den

• Like 1

@Den: why you don't make a Thai driving license. It is done within a half day and is accepted as proof of your address in many cases.

I opened an account at L&H Pattaya without any problems 2 month ago. They requiered my passport and a Thai driving license.

Back to topic:

personal investigation on January 20th 2016 all in Pattaya:

Kiatnakin: savings account 1.8% no tax (not fixed, money is daily available)

CIMB: 12 Month, 2.20%, 15% tax (special offer for new customers, negotiable)

Tisco: 4 Month, 1.9%, 15% tax

GHB: 12 month, 1.75%, 15% tax

• Like 1

@Den: why you don't make a Thai driving license. It is done within a half day and is accepted as proof of your address in many cases.

I opened an account at L&H Pattaya without any problems 2 month ago. They requiered my passport and a Thai driving license.

Back to topic:

SmoothOp it would have helped to open the account at L&H for sure and saved me some hassle. However I managed to get around the red tape for that one. Unfortunately it does not help for CIMB or GSB. They both made it clear they need Tabien Baan. After doing some research that appears to be not so easy. I do intend to get my DL next week. It may help for other accounts.

Den

Back to topic:

You can claim all that tax back.

I just did it again.

30 minutes in the office, should get a check in the post in about four weeks.

Well I have to report mixed responses from the three banks I tried to open account with.

at first they refused because I didn't have a Thai driving license. They then relented and asked me proof of residency. I went and got my original chanote and also the Juristic person at the condo complex gave me a stamped and signed letter. Again That was refused and they asked me proof from the UK embassy. After contacting the embassy they told me it would be better to get a letter from the immigration. Managed to get the said letter and that was finally accepted. What a chew on.

They asked my work permit. I told them I was retired. The lady disappeared and brought back a paper which stipulated the requirement. Which was Passport and proof of residence. I showed her the chanote the letter from Immigration and the Juristic. She disappears and comes back and tells me I have to show Tabien Baan. OK I got one of those (blue book) which I got with the package when I bought my condo. She disappears again and when she comes back it was "Can Not" Your name not in book. You have to put name in book. I tried to explain that proof of residence is obvious as my name appears on the back of my Chanote. "Can Not" I gave up.

3. CIMB

Now I know that I cannot get my name in the blue book as it is for Thai only. I do know there is a yellow book for farang but I have no idea where to get that done.

Den

me and the wife have been with LHB.over 3yrs.i had a few problems at first,then when i got my tax id.card they have been as nice as pie.

always have some good fixed accs.my latest was 2.70% fixed for 2yrs.interest paid monthly,paid into a current acc.paying over 2%.no tax.

and a print out of tax deducted every month at the end of the yr.and i have already had the refund 13th.jan.

They both made it clear they need Tabien Baan.

What would happened if you would not own your own condo and live in a rented one. A simple confirmation about your address from the immigration at Jomtien would have been accepted. Maybe next time it can work, if you don't tell them too much.:)

3. CIMB

Den

me and the wife have been with LHB.over 3yrs.i had a few problems at first,then when i got my tax id.card they have been as nice as pie.

always have some good fixed accs.my latest was 2.70% fixed for 2yrs.interest paid monthly,paid into a current acc.paying over 2%.no tax.

and a print out of tax deducted every month at the end of the yr.and i have already had the refund 13th.jan.

sorry if i confused anyone,2.70 was a fixed acc.april 2015 x 24months,the wife took the same rate over 18months.these was the best around at that time.

Best i could find was 1.9% with TMB, no fixed time period can withdraw when you like.

And I think, only two withdrawals a month - it's a teaser product, not fixed so it can disappear at the drop of a hat and it surely will do that.

Best i could find was 1.9% with TMB, no fixed time period can withdraw when you like.

And I think, only two withdrawals a month - it's a teaser product, not fixed so it can disappear at the drop of a hat and it surely will do that.

TMB's no fixed is one of their core deposit products, rather than a teaser. Like ME from TMB - very good rates but for Thais only - it's part of their deposit led strategy.

It should continue to be a competitive interest rate for a savings account with no "fixed term",There's no restrictions on withdrawals. Their "no fee" account has a limit of 20 transactions per month though, but is a much lower "transactional" rather than "investment" (as they classify them) savings account.

Need to bear in mind that the 1.9% includes a bonus of 0.4%. To get this someone needs to increase their balance each month. Not that difficult just top it up with a small amount each month.

Their ME account is a brand within TMB available only at 5 main branches, and pays 2.55% including a bonus of 0.55%. Available to Thai nationals and online only. It's probably about the best instant access savings rate around (as opposed to fixed / term deposits). My wife has this. I have the "no-fixed".

Both have been consistently up there for quite some time and as core products rather than promos are much less likely to disappear.

• Like 2